Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting article on how ND helped save the ACC season
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
Shy Interesting article on how ND helped save the ACC season
The saying goes that when it rains, it pours. And it is certainly pouring on the Big Ten right now.

Sports Illustrated's Michigan affiliate Wolverine Digest came out with a report quoting several anonymous Big Ten insiders who shared some information which sheds a little more light on why the conference finds itself in the middle of its biggest PR nightmare in recent memory.

Reportedly, the Big Ten expected not only the Pac-12, but also the ACC to join it in canceling a fall football season. And when you think of the academically prestigious schools in the ACC — Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, etc. — and the decisions one would think those presidents would come to, that seems to make a bit of sense. The sentiment seemed to be all along that if three of the Power Five conferences nixed fall football, it would be nearly impossible for the other two to keep going. So the ACC's reported decision could have ended any football season at all.

But all it may have taken was one phone call from non-football member Notre Dame to apparently change everything.

More at link
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2805842/the-big-ten-reportedly-expected-the-acc-to-join-in-canceling-football-but-notre-dame-pulled-a-fast-one
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 04:24 PM by domer1978.)
08-26-2020 10:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
RE: Interesting article on how ND tricked helped save the ACC season
Makes sense.

The SI article it links to says, ""There is a feeling (among Big 10 presidents) that the 'football-is-life' culture of the SEC is to be scorned, not celebrated, but what's become evident is that our leaders severely misjudged the Big Ten culture as it relates to football."

There's no school in the country with a stronger football culture than Notre Dame. Everyone goes to the games. Even the foreign students. Even most grad students and faculty. At kickoff, I'd be surprised if you could find 10 ND undergrads who aren't in the stadium unless they're in the hospital, jail, or out-of-town.
08-26-2020 10:59 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
RE: Interesting article on how ND helped save the ACC seasonseason
Wouldn't it be ironic if now Notre Dame were decide not to play, as their president said might be the case.
08-26-2020 11:15 AM
domer1978 Online
All American

(08-26-2020 11:15 AM)ken d Wrote:  Wouldn't it be ironic if now Notre Dame were decide not to play, as their president said might be the case.

Yep, but our numbers have leveled out. It looks like we will re-open.
08-26-2020 11:18 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I suspect all the schools that want to keep playing will find a way to make sure there are no reported outbreaks until the season is over, and the ones that don't play but have students on campus will report far more cases than the ones who play.
08-26-2020 11:31 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(08-26-2020 10:43 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  The saying goes that when it rains, it pours. And it is certainly pouring on the Big Ten right now.

Sports Illustrated's Michigan affiliate Wolverine Digest came out with a report quoting several anonymous Big Ten insiders who shared some information which sheds a little more light on why the conference finds itself in the middle of its biggest PR nightmare in recent memory.

Reportedly, the Big Ten expected not only the Pac-12, but also the ACC to join it in canceling a fall football season. And when you think of the academically prestigious schools in the ACC — Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, etc. — and the decisions one would think those presidents would come to, that seems to make a bit of sense. The sentiment seemed to be all along that if three of the Power Five conferences nixed fall football, it would be nearly impossible for the other two to keep going. So the ACC's reported decision could have ended any football season at all.

But all it may have taken was one phone call from non-football member Notre Dame to apparently change everything.

More at link
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/2805842/the-big-ten-reportedly-expected-the-acc-to-join-in-canceling-football-but-notre-dame-pulled-a-fast-one

Hey, the "parasites" may have saved the season for Clemson and the ACC. :)
08-26-2020 12:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

domer1978 Online
All American

(08-26-2020 12:02 PM)TerryD Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 10:43 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  The saying goes that when it rains, it pours. And it is certainly pouring on the Big Ten right now.

More at link

Hey, the "parasites" may have saved the season for Clemson and the ACC. :)

It's good to be the Parasite
[Image: 4ct56h.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 12:14 PM by domer1978.)
08-26-2020 12:03 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown

More at link

GO IRISH !!! But yes, the ACC siding with the SEC and B12 does have a "Ruth Bader Ginsburg sides with the conservatives" on a split supreme court decision feel to it. We didn't see it coming.

COGS
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 04:20 PM by quo vadis.)
08-26-2020 12:15 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(08-26-2020 10:59 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  Makes sense.

The SI article it links to says, ""There is a feeling (among Big 10 presidents) that the 'football-is-life' culture of the SEC is to be scorned, not celebrated, but what's become evident is that our leaders severely misjudged the Big Ten culture as it relates to football."

B1G schools are culturally split - kind of like the university of Texas. Meaning, the faculty and upper administration at the great majority of B1G schools are part of the national Liberal Academia Elite.

But much of the Alumni Nation of the same schools is strongly pro-Football, as much so as the SEC. Trust me, Alabama and LSU and Florida fans have nothing on Penn State and Ohio State and Wisconsin fans when it comes to football fanaticism. Usually, these two factions coexist peacefully by ignoring each other, but covid has brought the schism into the fore.

So the battle we are seeing with the B1G is really an internal battle, a war between the ruling elites in the presidential box and faculty labs and the mass of football alumni.
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020 08:44 AM by quo vadis.)
08-26-2020 12:19 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(08-26-2020 10:43 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  Reportedly, the Big Ten expected not only the Pac-12, but also the ACC to join it in canceling a fall football season. And when you think of the academically prestigious schools in the ACC — Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, etc. — and the decisions one would think those presidents would come to, that seems to make a bit of sense. The sentiment seemed to be all along that if three of the Power Five conferences nixed fall football, it would be nearly impossible for the other two to keep going.

All along, I think the B1G used this as a power play to assert their standing as the alpha dog dictating to the SEC that the college football world revolved around them. The damage, in my opinion, is considerable...

I used to think that just about any school would jump if an actual B1G offer came their way. Now, I think schools with very strong athletic programs would have to think long and hard about whether they would want to be part of this type of hive-minded mentality. People have thrown out the whole Texas or Oklahoma poachability by the B1G, and now I don't think that has a chance of succeeding.

At this point, it seems clear to me that the SEC is absolutely the alpha dog, and any thoughts that the ACC might be the conference on the weakest footing just went out the window. I seriously doubt any ACC school would move to the B1G, and I have to figure Maryland is doing some navel gazing at the moment...

USFFan
08-26-2020 12:29 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(08-26-2020 12:29 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 10:43 AM)domer1978 Wrote:  Reportedly, the Big Ten expected not only the Pac-12, but also the ACC to join it in canceling a fall football season. And when you think of the academically prestigious schools in the ACC — Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, Virginia, Boston College, etc. — and the decisions one would think those presidents would come to, that seems to make a bit of sense. The sentiment seemed to be all along that if three of the Power Five conferences nixed fall football, it would be nearly impossible for the other two to keep going.

All along, I think the B1G used this as a power play to assert their standing as the alpha dog dictating to the SEC that the college football world revolved around them. The damage, in my opinion, is considerable...

Yes, the B1G, chafing at SEC dominance on the football field, probably felt that since Covid is a public policy issue, this was an area where its superior academics would allow it to run the show.

So far, that has blown up in their face, though if the SEC ends up having to cancel too, the B1G will regain respect.

Still, the mere fact that the SEC was able to form a P5 majority around its "let's play for now" policy (because that's what it is, the SEC has not said it will not cancel later), is a stinging blow to the B1G.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 12:35 PM by quo vadis.)
08-26-2020 12:34 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(08-26-2020 12:29 PM)usffan Wrote:  At this point, it seems clear to me that the SEC is absolutely the alpha dog, and any thoughts that the ACC might be the conference on the weakest footing just went out the window. I seriously doubt any ACC school would move to the B1G, and I have to figure Maryland is doing some navel gazing at the moment...

USFFan

Yep

Budget fix was the reason given to join the Big 10

Hard to fix the budget going a year without TV money
08-26-2020 04:16 PM
quo vadis Online
Legend

(08-26-2020 04:16 PM)solohawks Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 12:29 PM)usffan Wrote:  At this point, it seems clear to me that the SEC is absolutely the alpha dog, and any thoughts that the ACC might be the conference on the weakest footing just went out the window. I seriously doubt any ACC school would move to the B1G, and I have to figure Maryland is doing some navel gazing at the moment...

USFFan

Yep

Yes, and IIRC, this cancellation comes just as Rutgers, Maryland and UNL have finished their long purgatories of collecting fractional B1G money and were just about to start collecting the full fat $55m checks to make up for those probationary years.
08-26-2020 04:18 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-26-2020 12:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

More at link

GO IRISH !!! But yes, the ACC siding with the SEC and B12 does have a "Ruth Bader Ginsburg sides with the conservatives" on a split supreme court decision feel to it. We didn't see it coming.

COGS

The B1G earned the screwjob.
08-26-2020 04:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee

I used to think that just about any school would jump if an actual B1G offer came their way. Now, I think schools with very strong athletic programs would have to think long and hard about whether they would want to be part of this type of hive-minded mentality. People have thrown out the whole Texas or Oklahoma poachability by the B1G, and now I don't think that has a chance of succeeding.

At this point, it seems clear to me that the SEC is absolutely the alpha dog, and any thoughts that the ACC might be the conference on the weakest footing just went out the window. I seriously doubt any ACC school would move to the B1G, and I have to figure Maryland is doing some navel gazing at the moment...

USFFan

It seems like the ACC was the swing-vote, making them the alpha in this situation. If the ACC had cancelled, SEC would have to follow (?).

Also, money still talks and even with a cancelled season, I think Maryland would make more in the Big 10 over the next several seasons than in the ACC.

But, I agree, the ACC isn't on bad footing right now, especially if they have solid representation on the field this season.
08-26-2020 04:25 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
RE: Interesting article on how ND helped save the ACC season
(08-26-2020 04:18 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 04:16 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

USFFan

Yep

Yes, and IIRC, this cancellation comes just as Rutgers, Maryland and UNL have finished their long purgatories of collecting fractional B1G money and were just about to start collecting the full fat $55m checks to make up for those probationary years.

Funny thing is that MD did not fix their problems:

https://dbknews.com/2018/07/07/maryland-...donations/
08-26-2020 04:34 PM
Advertisement

Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(08-26-2020 04:25 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  

USFFan

It seems like the ACC was the swing-vote, making them the alpha in this situation. If the ACC had cancelled, SEC would have to follow (?).

Also, money still talks and even with a cancelled season, I think Maryland would make more in the Big 10 over the next several seasons than in the ACC.

But, I agree, the ACC isn't on bad footing right now, especially if they have solid representation on the field this season.

MD will make about $12-$15 million more in the Big 10 and continue to fall further and further behind everyone but Rutgers. It costs more to play in the Big 10 than the ACC. Direct competition with PSU, OSU, UM, and MSU and their stadiums that seat an average of 100K is not sustainable for the football program.

That's a per game ticket sales deficit of nearly 60K. https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp...story.html

That puts MD $35 million a year behind the leaders in their division, let alone the entire conference.

MD is located in one of the highest cost of living locations in the P-5 - not as bad as Cal or Stanford, but in there with Miami, UCLA, and USC. People scream revenue, but expenses still matter. In the ACC MD football could be perpetually in the top third of the league. From that vantage point you get in striking distance of a big bowl or division title every so often. They already have booster base problem due to the graduate programs taken from College Park in 1970. Kirwan and Loh will have to be dead before the ACC takes them back and even then might require them to bring PSU along.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 04:52 PM by Statefan.)
08-26-2020 04:43 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(08-26-2020 12:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Yes, the B1G, chafing at SEC dominance on the football field, probably felt that since Covid is a public policy issue, this was an area where its superior academics would allow it to run the show.

So far, that has blown up in their face, though if the SEC ends up having to cancel too, the B1G will regain respect.

Still, the mere fact that the SEC was able to form a P5 majority around its "let's play for now" policy (because that's what it is, the SEC has not said it will not cancel later), is a stinging blow to the B1G.

I don't think the SEC needed a P5 majority to play.

Texas (I'm sorry, I mean the Big 12) was sticking with the SEC on this one. No way Texas sits out if Texas A&M is playing the season.

If the Big 12 & SEC played, then the Sun Belt definitely plays. Probably the Dallas-based American and Dallas-based C-USA play, too.
08-26-2020 04:46 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
(08-26-2020 12:15 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  GO IRISH !!! But yes, the ACC siding with the SEC and B12 does have a "Ruth Bader Ginsburg sides with the conservatives" on a split supreme court decision feel to it. We didn't see it coming.

COGS

Some of us did...04-cheers

(05-14-2020 08:13 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  I would expect all SEC and ACC schools to play this fall while The PAC and Big Ten sit this season out. All based on political leanings. The Big 12 is tougher to read. JMHO

https://csnbbs.com/thread-899459-post-16...id16819252
(This post was last modified: 08-27-2020 06:35 AM by CardinalJim.)
08-27-2020 06:34 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(08-26-2020 04:46 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 12:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I don't think the SEC needed a P5 majority to play.

Texas (I'm sorry, I mean the Big 12) was sticking with the SEC on this one. No way Texas sits out if Texas A&M is playing the season.

If the Big 12 & SEC played, then the Sun Belt definitely plays. Probably the Dallas-based American and Dallas-based C-USA play, too.

I agree.

I’m sure SEC would have played anyway and the Big 12 even if a couple of schools didn’t play.
08-27-2020 07:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.