Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One contrarian prediction for each of the 6 2020 FBS conferences
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
One contrarian prediction for each of the 6 2020 FBS conferences
Self-explanatory thread title:

SEC: LSU won't finish in the top 5 (which in a normal year would be kind of like saying they won't finish in the top 10). Sorry, I just don't trust Ed Orgeron and I think Joe Burrow is the type of talent that can make offensive coaches look better than they are.

ACC: Louisville makes a NY6 bowl. Look for them, and not UNC, to be the #2 team in the league. Scott Satterfield is a top-10 coach and will prove it in the next few seasons.

AAC: East Carolina will finish #2 in the AAC East. This year Mike Houston shows why he was hired.

Big 12: Baylor won't fall off without Matt Rhule and will finish second in the conference.

Sun Belt: App State will lose multiple conference games. They finally have to play both Arkansas State and UL and play at Georgia Southern.

CUSA: UAB will run the table in conference play. Don't know who on paper in that league will be able to play with them.
(This post was last modified: 08-25-2020 10:54 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-25-2020 10:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
RE: One contrarian prediction for each of the 6 2020 FBS conferences
Here's a contrarian prediction that I'm not seeing much from the foaming-at-the-mouth football fan public that wants everything NOW: the Big Ten and Pac-12 will be the only P5 leagues that actually end up playing a full slate of games (e.g. 8 to 10 games) because they had the patience to wait until the spring instead of running into playing in September when campuses clearly can't control outbreaks right now.
08-25-2020 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(08-25-2020 10:58 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Here's a contrarian prediction that I'm not seeing much from the foaming-at-the-mouth football fan public that wants everything NOW: the Big Ten and Pac-12 will be the only P5 leagues that actually end up playing a full slate of games (e.g. 8 to 10 games) because they had the patience to wait until the spring instead of running into playing in September when campuses clearly can't control outbreaks right now.

Way to keep the faith, Frank!

----------

My ACC prediction: Pitt, which is the only team with a bye in the final week, will play in the ACC CG amid cries from Clemson (or Notre Dame?) of how unfair it is to give the Panthers a bye before the championship game...
08-25-2020 12:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
The AAC doesn't have divisions this year, so ECU can't finish se ond in the AAC East. Nor do all the former eastern division teams play each other.
08-25-2020 01:23 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Contrarian opinion:

There will be no bowls. The B(brave) 6 seasons will be completed, but a December/January/February flareup will cancel the playoff and all spring sports.
08-25-2020 01:53 PM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
(08-25-2020 01:23 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  The AAC doesn't have divisions this year, so ECU can't finish se ond in the AAC East. Nor do all the former eastern division teams play each other.
All (former-)East Teams play each other; it is the West which has 1 pair of teams who skip one another in 2020 and 2021 (like the old MAC and CUSA waivers). I’m still not convinced the conference got the “divisionless” waiver; now we’ll have to wait until 2021 and see what the tie-breakers are.
08-25-2020 04:39 PM
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
My prediction is football will be canceled at the beginning of October.
08-26-2020 12:07 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
The fall season will be played out but some teams will play 11 games and some will only play 5. Few undefeated teams, maybe 2.
Only B1G and Pac 12 play in the spring. MAC and MWC skip a year.

SEC: LSU won't finish in the top 10. They lost more player to the draft last year than any team ever has. They take a year off.

ACC: Clemson does not win the ACC. VT goes to the CFP.

AAC: Cincinnati goes to the CFP

Big 12: Same old same old. Oklahoma wins B12. WVU wins 6 or more.

Sun Belt: does not have a team with more than 7 wins.

CUSA: does not have a team with more than 8 wins.
08-26-2020 01:47 AM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
I agree, AAC champ dominates conf games.
They will end up in CFB playoffs
Would love to see Temple sign about 5 Grad tranfers
08-26-2020 08:43 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-26-2020 01:47 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Sun Belt: does not have a team with more than 7 wins.

Is this because you think they'll lose (not lose as in fail to win, but lose as in have cancelled) too many games? Because if not, I'll take that bet all day long. Most of these teams have all-G5 schedules and none have multiple P5 games as far as I know.

As for the AAC making the CFP, I won't say that's impossible but it's going to require certain P3 teams to lose large chunks of their season. If the P3 completes its season we all know it'll be SEC #1, SEC #2, Oklahoma, and Clemson in the final 4.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 09:27 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-26-2020 09:24 AM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(08-25-2020 10:54 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Self-explanatory thread title:

SEC: LSU won't finish in the top 5 (which in a normal year would be kind of like saying they won't finish in the top 10). Sorry, I just don't trust Ed Orgeron and I think Joe Burrow is the type of talent that can make offensive coaches look better than they are.

ACC: Louisville makes a NY6 bowl. Look for them, and not UNC, to be the #2 team in the league. Scott Satterfield is a top-10 coach and will prove it in the next few seasons.

AAC: East Carolina will finish #2 in the AAC East. This year Mike Houston shows why he was hired.

Big 12: Baylor won't fall off without Matt Rhule and will finish second in the conference.

Sun Belt: App State will lose multiple conference games. They finally have to play both Arkansas State and UL and play at Georgia Southern.

CUSA: UAB will run the table in conference play. Don't know who on paper in that league will be able to play with them.

UCF and Cincinnati say ECU will not finish in the top two. Both teams basically return their rosters from last year with some key additions (transfers and guys that were injured). Both return their coaching staff. ECU played UC tough last year, then again UC’s QB played with a bad shoulder injury and could not produce offensively. He is healed.

It will take one hell of an effort and a lot of injuries to befall UC and UCF for ECU to top these two.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 09:33 AM by CliftonAve.)
08-26-2020 09:31 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 will in fact play their full fall schedules.

And that's contrary to my own beliefs.

07-coffee3
08-26-2020 10:21 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-25-2020 10:58 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Here's a contrarian prediction that I'm not seeing much from the foaming-at-the-mouth football fan public that wants everything NOW: the Big Ten and Pac-12 will be the only P5 leagues that actually end up playing a full slate of games (e.g. 8 to 10 games) because they had the patience to wait until the spring instead of running into playing in September when campuses clearly can't control outbreaks right now.

Even if so, it will be JV football.

07-coffee3
08-26-2020 10:21 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
(08-26-2020 01:47 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  The fall season will be played out but some teams will play 11 games and some will only play 5. Few undefeated teams, maybe 2.
Only B1G and Pac 12 play in the spring. MAC and MWC skip a year.

SEC: LSU won't finish in the top 10. They lost more player to the draft last year than any team ever has. They take a year off.

ACC: Clemson does not win the ACC. VT goes to the CFP.

AAC: Cincinnati goes to the CFP

Big 12: Same old same old. Oklahoma wins B12. WVU wins 6 or more.

Sun Belt: does not have a team with more than 7 wins.

App and ULL are losing four or more games? That is bold. Almost as bold as VT sniffing the CFP, @ UNC-CH, @ UL, and Clemson. 1-2 max there.
08-26-2020 10:29 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-26-2020 10:21 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  The SEC, ACC, and Big 12 will in fact play their full fall schedules.

And that's contrary to my own beliefs.

07-coffee3

I think some games will just be lost and there's no telling how the CFP committee will handle that.

But if that's not a consideration I'm pretty sure the SEC knows exactly what they're doing as far giving their presumed top teams easier schedules and cutting off non-conference games. They're going to maximize their chances of taking multiple spots in the final 4 and I'm sure they've had conversations with committee members over it.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 10:41 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-26-2020 10:40 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(08-25-2020 10:54 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Self-explanatory thread title:

I'm not psyched that UCF's first league game is a @ ECU the week after we're @ Georgia Tech while they are home vs Marshall and have a bye week in between. That could be a trap game for sure.

SEC: Mississippi State finishes last in the West. LSU drops 4 games.
ACC: Clemson gets shocked at home by Miami (who still loses like 5 games)
AAC: Memphis loses 4 games; Tulsa is bowl eligible
SBC: Arkansas State wins the conference and Blake Anderson finally lands a P5 job; Texas State shows meaningful improvement
CUSA: FAU doesn't just beat but demolishes USF and the Bullspen meltdown is amazing
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 11:06 AM by CitrusUCF.)
08-26-2020 11:06 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(08-26-2020 09:24 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 01:47 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Sun Belt: does not have a team with more than 7 wins.

Is this because you think they'll lose (not lose as in fail to win, but lose as in have cancelled) too many games? Because if not, I'll take that bet all day long. Most of these teams have all-G5 schedules and none have multiple P5 games as far as I know.

As for the AAC making the CFP, I won't say that's impossible but it's going to require certain P3 teams to lose large chunks of their season. If the P3 completes its season we all know it'll be SEC #1, SEC #2, Oklahoma, and Clemson in the final 4.

Because they'll have games cancelled. I didn't really know what to put for the Sun belt and CUSA but figured I needed a prediction for all 6 conferences.
08-26-2020 12:14 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
(08-26-2020 11:06 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  CUSA: FAU doesn't just beat but demolishes USF and the Bullspen meltdown is amazing

I can't rule it out (we're such an unknown), but FAU's star QB was dismissed from the team and is no longer on the roster, so their starter will either be a guy with 22 total passing attempts in his college career, or Willie Taggart's son. And, let's face it, Taggart's teams rarely get off to a good start.

Throw in that FAU will have only played one game (vs. Georgia Southern) while USF will presumably have played 2 (vs. The Citadel and then, allegedly, at Notre Dame, though it's strange that that ND game hasn't been verified even though it's been reported for > a week), and it's hard to imagine FAU catching USF by surprise. I'll be shocked if we do indeed get demolished, but will acknowledge your foresight if we do.

USFFan
08-26-2020 12:44 PM
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
AAC (I'll refrain from saying anything about my own team) - sends two teams to NY6 games
ACC - Notre Dame wins their first and only conference title
Big 12 - Mike Gundy gets fired after the season
CUSA - Western Kentucky wins the title
SEC - Arkansas doesn't finish in the bottom of the west division
Sun Belt - Appalachian State finally goes undefeated in FBS play

USFFan
08-26-2020 12:56 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(08-26-2020 12:44 PM)usffan Wrote:  
(08-26-2020 11:06 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  CUSA: FAU doesn't just beat but demolishes USF and the Bullspen meltdown is amazing

I can't rule it out (we're such an unknown), but FAU's star QB was dismissed from the team and is no longer on the roster, so their starter will either be a guy with 22 total passing attempts in his college career, or Willie Taggart's son. And, let's face it, Taggart's teams rarely get off to a good start.

Throw in that FAU will have only played one game (vs. Georgia Southern) while USF will presumably have played 2 (vs. The Citadel and then, allegedly, at Notre Dame, though it's strange that that ND game hasn't been verified even though it's been reported for > a week), and it's hard to imagine FAU catching USF by surprise. I'll be shocked if we do indeed get demolished, but will acknowledge your foresight if we do.

USFFan

Yeah, I don't expect much from Taggs and his young co-OCs this year. I'm thinking more about Leavitt and how amped he is going to be to make a statement. The Jim will run a Marathon in wind sprints before this game.
(This post was last modified: 08-26-2020 01:18 PM by CitrusUCF.)
08-26-2020 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.