Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

When do public figures start screaming about football?
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
When do public figures start screaming about football?
We are five days away from the first FCS game and nine days from the first FBS game.

Some folks will certainly fuel the flame of unreasonableness to play these games. What day does that break?
08-25-2020 08:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
RE: When do public figures start screaming about football?
(08-25-2020 08:09 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  We are five days away from the first FCS game and nine days from the first FBS game.

Some folks will certainly fuel the flame of unreasonableness to play these games. What day does that break?

Its crazy that cities have sports leagues going full speed ahead yet some people say football is a problem. Colleges reopening are way worse for this situation than college football being played.
08-25-2020 08:29 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
My brother is a high school basketball coach in Ohio. August is usually a dead period for him - no contact allowed with his players. But this year, they've been allowed unlimited practices, and 2 weeks of full scrimmages with other teams. He says he's just as busy as the regular season. He thinks this is a makeup for the lost practice time in the Spring, but no one in power has publicly said anything about why the rules have changed.

My men's softball league has been going all summer without a hitch.

There's an independent minor league baseball team in my town that's been playing doubleheaders every night this summer, with no social distancing for players. The bullpen is (as always) comically crowded with 12 large men on a bench built for 10.

High school football has already started in much of the country. In many states, fans are allowed to attend.

French pro soccer has allowed fans at games since mid-July. The first game had 5,000 in attendance.

I can't fathom why the media is making a bigger deal of football games with zero fans allowed than any of those things.
08-25-2020 09:21 AM
Advertisement

Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
Because players, coaches, administrators, and fans are all overwhelmingly in favor of it

South Carolina (the school that is) hasn’t had any sort of outbreak and players are practicing and happy. Why change anything until an actual outbreak starts? You can always pause or stop but if you aren’t moving forward then there’s zero chance you have a season and no one is happy
08-25-2020 11:24 AM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(08-25-2020 08:29 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(08-25-2020 08:09 AM)Saint3333 Wrote:  We are five days away from the first FCS game and nine days from the first FBS game.

Its crazy that cities have sports leagues going full speed ahead yet some people say football is a problem. Colleges reopening are way worse for this situation than college football being played.

Uhm, am I missing something here?

If colleges aren't opened, what is the reason for having college football? Isn't this a tacit endorsement that college football is really professional football in disguise?

Don't get me wrong. I really enjoy college football. But I view it as an extra-curricular entity.
08-25-2020 11:43 AM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
40% of colleges are either a hybrid or in-person, with another 20+% undecided.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/24/us/co...virus.html
08-25-2020 12:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.