Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Truer Upper Tier: Post Covid
Bookmark and Share
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
A Truer Upper Tier: Post Covid
Before post COVID we will be entering an new era in which NIL and pay are going to impact who plays college football at the upper echelon and who doesn't.

This one issue divides the Big 10 this way:

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin choose to remain in.

Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue, Rutgers choose not to.

In the ACC this brings about a change as well:

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech all opt to remain in.

Boston College, Duke, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Wake Forest opt out.

Notre Dame stays in.

The SEC loses 1, Vanderbilt.

The Big 12 loses none.

The PAC has Arizona, Arizona State, USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Colorado opt to stay in.

The two California publics, Washington State, & Oregon State opt out.

A new league is born Post COVID:

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Utah, Washington

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Arkansas, Baylor, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Clemson, North Carolina, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, South Carolina

The six division champions and two at large selections field an 8 team playoff for the Championship.

(This post was last modified: 08-29-2020 01:05 PM by JRsec.)
08-28-2020 08:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

XLance Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
RE: A Truer Upper Tier: Post Covid
(08-28-2020 08:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Before post COVID we will be entering an new era in which NIL and pay are going to impact who plays college football at the upper echelon and who doesn't.

Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin choose to remain in.

Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State, Virginia, and Virginia Tech all opt to remain in.

Notre Dame stays in.

The Big 12 loses none.

The PAC has Arizona, Arizona State, USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Utah, and Colorado opt to stay in.

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Utah, Washington

Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State

Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, West Virginia, Wisconsin

Arkansas, Baylor, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Tennessee

Clemson, North Carolina, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, South Carolina

The six division champions and two at large selections field an 8 team playoff for the Championship.

Where you see one league, I see 6. There is nothing worse than this new world order thinking. The six leagues may appoint a commissioner of football and a commissioner of basketball to oversee overall competition/rules/officials but I feel that each group should have a level of autonomy on other matters.

The leftovers of the B1G and ACC (plus Vanderbilt) could form two conferences or play as one conference.
(This post was last modified: 08-30-2020 08:06 PM by XLance.)
08-30-2020 08:05 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(08-30-2020 08:05 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(08-28-2020 08:13 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Before post COVID we will be entering an new era in which NIL and pay are going to impact who plays college football at the upper echelon and who doesn't.

Notre Dame stays in.

The Big 12 loses none.

Where you see one league, I see 6. There is nothing worse than this new world order thinking. The six leagues may appoint a commissioner of football and a commissioner of basketball to oversee overall competition/rules/officials but I feel that each group should have a level of autonomy on other matters.

The leftovers of the B1G and ACC (plus Vanderbilt) could form two conferences or play as one conference.

I could see a P3, but the only way to have a level playing field is to pay them all the same, and that means a league.

But the Old Big 8 and PAC, The SWC/SEC hybrid with the Old Core SEC, and the Remnant Big 10 / Old Core ACC works fairly well as a P3.
08-30-2020 08:14 PM
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(08-30-2020 08:14 PM)JRsec Wrote:  [quote='XLance' pid='16969102' dateline='1598835945']
[quote='JRsec' pid='16960160' dateline='1598663600']
Before post COVID we will be entering an new era in which NIL and pay are going to impact who plays college football at the upper echelon and who doesn't.

Notre Dame stays in.

The Big 12 loses none.

Clemson, North Carolina, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, South Carolina.

[/b][/si

What I am about to talk about kind of dovetails into this and does not at the same time. But, I see changes on the horizon for college hoops.

I read an interesting post on Reddit talking about college football home markets or basically how the population is in the college/university's home city. But , as you and I both know, that doesn't give a really accurate picture of a college/university's presence overall, because some have just have that local presence, some have a statewide presence, and some, like Notre Dame, and the service academies have a national presence.
Using Google Trends,. I found out that 'Bama's football team has a national presence as well, which I find interesting because few sports writers talk about it, although it's true. And while I'm not entirely sure, I'm almost willing to bet that there are more SEC teams that have a nationwide presence as well just like Alabama and Notre Dame, and it's at least partially due to the SEC Network, IMHO. I'm thinking everyone that is a nationwide brand in football will definitely be a part of this new post- Covid league, while I see only a 50-50 chance for statewide teams to join this league.
Back to hoops though, I can see the Major conferences really begin a push to split from the mid-majors somewhat. This will allow hoops powers like Indiana, Purdue, and Syracuse to join this new league/federation.

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin choose to remain in.

Northwestern, Rutgers choose not to.

Clemson, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami, North Carolina, N.C. State, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Virginia, and Virginia Tech all opt to remain in.

Boston College and Wake Forest opt out.

Notre Dame stays in.

The Big 12 loses none.

The PAC has Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, Utah, and Colorado opt to stay in.

Washington State opts out.

[size=medium]
[b]A new league is born Post COVID:

Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Oregon, Southern Cal, Stanford, Utah, Washington, Cal, UCLA, Oregon State.

Kentucky, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Ohio State, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue, Maryland.

Clemson, Duke, Miami, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, North Carolina, N.C. State, Notre Dame, Penn State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, South Carolina.

The grouping, I admit, is a mess, so additional tweeks are probably needed, but I think you get the overall picture. I do see some changes within the P5, but nothing too radical...yet!!
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2020 01:49 AM by DawgNBama.)
09-05-2020 01:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.