Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Colleges back off in person classes
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Colleges back off in person classes
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...nstruction

This certainly is consistent with the change in their sports plans. I know of several students at different colleges who have had relatively recent delays in start dates or elimination of some in person instruction.

"Hundreds of colleges announced early this summer they would be reopening for in-person instruction this fall. As start dates near, many backtrack, citing a worsening health crisis...."
08-12-2020 09:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
RE: Colleges back off in person classes
Guess we are going to see more enrollment in the online schools. Going to be a big boon for Univ of a Phoenix, Western Governors ..etc.
08-13-2020 07:28 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I work at NC State. In-person classes began Monday. Most of them are simultaneously streamed, so students who are not comfortable with going in-person or just don't feel good can watch from their dorm/apartment.
08-13-2020 07:39 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
My son's schedule at Texas A&M has changed several times in recent weeks. At best he is allowed to attend in person one day a week. But most of his classes are switching to fully online ... for now. Unlike the spring semester when everything on campus was shut down, they are taking great pains this fall to give flexibility to keep their revenue trains rolling with students on campus. So my son is spending most of his class time in his dorm room. This whole experience is bizarre.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020 08:07 AM by SlyFox.)
08-13-2020 08:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
I just taught an in-person class last night.

This is a "hybrid" class where students have the option of choosing to be in class or take on line.

Of 26 students enrolled, 25 did it online, 1 showed up in class.

07-coffee3
08-13-2020 08:56 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(08-13-2020 08:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I just taught an in-person class last night.

This is a "hybrid" class where students have the option of choosing to be in class or take on line.

07-coffee3

I'm not surprised. If given a choice, students will take the easy way out over what they know is better.

This spring when we switched to online, I did half the classes live on Zoom and half as recorded lectures. I did a comprehensive private survey of the class to see how it went. I got about half a dozen comments along the lines of, "I was really annoyed at first that I'd have to attend classes live, but after going through it I'm really glad you did it this way."
08-13-2020 09:19 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-13-2020 09:19 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(08-13-2020 08:56 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  I just taught an in-person class last night.

07-coffee3

I'm not surprised. If given a choice, students will take the easy way out over what they know is better.

This spring when we switched to online, I did half the classes live on Zoom and half as recorded lectures. I did a comprehensive private survey of the class to see how it went. I got about half a dozen comments along the lines of, "I was really annoyed at first that I'd have to attend classes live, but after going through it I'm really glad you did it this way."

Yes, if i had to guess, I would bet that 4/5 of those who attended online did so out of sheer convenience, not because of covid-fear of coming to campus.
08-13-2020 09:26 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(08-13-2020 07:28 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Guess we are going to see more enrollment in the online schools. Going to be a big boon for Univ of a Phoenix, Western Governors ..etc.

Hardly. Most major colleges have had online capabilities for years now.
08-13-2020 09:27 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
My son's original schedule at Auburn was 3 in person and 2 online. A week before tuition was due, it was switched to all online. Lots of parents and students were very unhappy. Apparently the professors made the decision and a bunch of them switched at the last minute. At least one has no scheduled meeting times online.

Of course his prediction is that there will be an outbreak and they will send everyone home in 4-6 weeks anyway.
08-13-2020 09:36 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St

07-coffee3

That's a shame. I could tell you from years of taking classes, you learn FAR more in-person than online. When you take class online, there's little motivation and all you're doing is getting stuff done for grades. You forget all the material as soon as it's over. There's no learning through conversation and interaction.

I still vividly recall interactions from in-person classes. I recall nothing from online classes other than googling my way through tests.

There's also the social reward of in-person classes, getting to know people even if just surface-level/casual.
08-13-2020 09:47 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
UPenn formally changed the Fall semester to on-line only last week.

My daughter attends UCSD. The Fall quarter starts in mid-September...they just finalized on campus housing arrangements and are still on schedule. Only 2 of her four classes have in-person instruction...on-line courses are always available. The university has one of the most robust COVID protocols that I’ve read (testing, contracts, restrictions, dorms for infected students, etc.) and a renowned affiliated health system. It’ll be interesting to see if they can pull it off.
08-13-2020 10:32 AM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-13-2020 09:27 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(08-13-2020 07:28 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Guess we are going to see more enrollment in the online schools. Going to be a big boon for Univ of a Phoenix, Western Governors ..etc.

True, but this will increase as the tuition isn’t changing for not having in-person classes. If they don’t get a reduced tuition, they will go elsewhere where it’s cheaper for online classes.
08-13-2020 10:42 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(08-13-2020 10:42 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

True, but this will increase as the tuition isn’t changing for not having in-person classes. If they don’t get a reduced tuition, they will go elsewhere where it’s cheaper for online classes.

That's fair. I hadn't considered the cost difference.
08-13-2020 10:44 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn

Not sure if it's the same now, but FSU used to charge a premium if you chose an all-online option for its grad programs (if you did the hybrid, all classes were billed at the on-campus rate).
08-13-2020 12:05 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California

For students just starting college, community college is an even less expensive option, and is just as available online as "four year" colleges.
08-13-2020 01:35 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

The for-profits are going to get the same kind of kids they would have gotten before. If this was 20 years ago and online learning was in the earliest stages, perhaps they'd pick up some better students, but it's not like they're substantially cheaper than in-state public options, and you're still dealing with a UofP/Western G/SNHU education.

What you're possibly going to see are students taking entry-level GE classes at the local community college, which is markedly cheaper. So long as your four-year school has a reciprocity agreement with the CC, and you're not going to be on campus, you might as well do your Biology 101 and Shakespeare classes that way.
08-13-2020 01:42 PM
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(08-13-2020 10:44 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

That's fair. I hadn't considered the cost difference.

And so it begins. Students demanding tuition reductions.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08/22/a...tion-cuts/

https://www.foxnews.com/us/students-dema...l-learning
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020 05:02 PM by MWC Tex.)
08-22-2020 04:57 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(08-12-2020 09:57 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...nstruction

This certainly is consistent with the change in their sports plans. I know of several students at different colleges who have had relatively recent delays in start dates or elimination of some in person instruction.

"Hundreds of colleges announced early this summer they would be reopening for in-person instruction this fall. As start dates near, many backtrack, citing a worsening health crisis...."

Except ..... the health crisis is not worsening in most places, rather the opposite.

I have taught 3 in-person classes the past week.
08-22-2020 05:05 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(08-22-2020 05:05 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 09:57 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2020...nstruction

Except ..... the health crisis is not worsening in most places, rather the opposite.

I have taught 3 in-person classes the past week.

Does the one class still have 1 of 25 showing up?
08-22-2020 05:42 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
I saw sponsored content on Facebook that a law firm is collecting names for a class action suit against Villanova for charging full price for online courses. It’s getting nuts.

On a side note, it costs more to take the University Alliance administered courses there online than the in-person version. My courses went online, but I’m not paying UA prices.
08-24-2020 01:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.