Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which conference does Nebraska really belong in?
Big Ten
Big 12
[Show Results]

Does Nebraska Really "Belong" In the Big Ten or Big 12?
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Does Nebraska Really "Belong" In the Big Ten or Big 12?
There are several threads at this board about Nebraska possibly playing this season as a Big 12 member after the Big Ten announced it would not play football this fall. There was some discussion (and not just me) that Nebraska should just move back to the Big 12 permanently and they belong there.

Before the announcement that the Big Ten was announcing they were canceling the fall football season, several of the top Big Ten coaches including Jim Harbaugh and James Franklin were publicly campaigning to save the season. But after the announcement, Nebraska seemed to be the only dissenting voice against it. The statement from their leadership (chancellor, president, AD, coach):

https://huskers.com/news/2020/8/11/athle...eason.aspx

"We are very disappointed in the decision by the Big Ten Conference to postpone the fall football season, as we have been and continue to be ready to play.

Safety comes first. Based on the conversations with our medical experts, we continue to strongly believe the absolute safest place for our student athletes is within the rigorous safety protocols, testing procedures, and the structure and support provided by Husker Athletics.

We will continue to consult with medical experts and evaluate the situation as it emerges. We hope it may be possible for our student athletes to have the opportunity to compete."

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren was only asked about Nebraska playing college football in the fall, not about Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, or even Iowa, another school rumored to want to have played.

https://sports.yahoo.com/big-ten-commiss...33028.html

I know I've said all along Nebraska is the sore thumb of the Big Ten but the latest narrative is clear ammunition in favor of it. I'm not always sold on history but those of you who are have to agree Nebraska is more of a Big 12 member (they're a founding member of the Big 12 and the Big 8). Geographically you can throw out Iowa vs. Iowa State. Nebraska belongs with Kansas/Kansas State and Oklahoma/Oklahoma State than Ohio State, Michigan/Michigan State, Indiana/Purdue, Illinois/Northwestern, Wisconsin, and Minnesota (I won't even count the Eastern schools which Nebraska clearly doesn't belong with).

Now financially Nebraska is better off in the Big Ten than the Big 12, no one disputes that. Nebraska can talk all they want about playing this season but they aren't going to make any move that will jeopardize its long term future in the Big Ten nor will they leave the Big Ten over this. But finances aside I say Nebraska really belongs in the Big 12 and the Big Ten really should've never invited Nebraska in the first place.
08-12-2020 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
RE: Does Nebraska Really "Belong" In the Big Ten or Big 12?
Nebraska is going to the same identity crisis Penn State went through the first two decades in the Big Ten. Even to this day, almost 30 years since joining the B1G, there’s people who still see it as an Eastern independent. Nebraska had a decades relationship with the Big 8 schools, it’ll be years before people see them as a Big Ten school.

Even in the Big XII, Nebraska was seen as an outsider. The Oklahoma schools assimilated to the Texas schools rapidly while Nebraska and Colorado looked like newbies in the conference they expanded.

Nebraska is a Big Eight school trapped in a Midwest conference that expanded to the East a few years ago.
08-12-2020 02:20 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
Big Ten. No takesies backsies.
08-12-2020 02:22 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
IMO, the answer is neither.

Nebraska was a member of the Big 8 (Big 7/Big 6/MVIAA) for over 70 years. It was "only" in the Big 12 for 14 seasons. In a few short seasons, it will be in the B1G longer than it ever was in the Big 12. It shared an association with Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for over 80 seasons; Colorado for over 60. Even if it were to "return" to the Big 12, one without Colorado and Missouri, would it really return for the sake of Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Oklahoma is a big brand name, definitely, but the Big 12 doesn't have the academic associations that the B1G has.

Nebraska belongs in an updated Big 8, but due to realignment, that is now impossible. We also shouldn't forget why many programs left the Big 12 to begin with. Those reasons still remain (money/associations), and there was a perception that the leaving programs wanted to move away from Texas/LHN and the unequal revenue sharing.

Nebraska can be upset all it wants right now. The players, coaches and athletic department can all say whatever they want. Ultimately, I don't see their President and BOT walking away from the academic associations of the B1G, as well as the guaranteed future revenue/exposure that the B1G carries.
08-12-2020 02:48 PM
Sicembear11 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Baylor
They are obviously a Big 8 school who should be playing Big 8 teams in the Big 12. Honestly, the only reason everything started to fall apart was due to their departure and Texas’ ambitions. Things have settled now, and the end they feared never came to pass. Nebraska should realign themselves with their historic and academic peers. If Nebraska is back in the fold, the Big 12 can start looking seriously at teams that make geographic sense for the conference. Maybe Missouri or Colorado come back, maybe Arkansas decides that they want to compete without being the whipping boy of a very prestigious but very tough SEC West. If you could back 12 with those schools, and WVU finds a way into the ACC or the SEC and has geographic and historic rivals, then suddenly everyone is winning and benefiting.

There is a plenty of bad blood from realignment, but sensibly aligning ourselves moving forward makes sense. Especially if cable revenue continues to decline and the BTN stops being a money maker, and especially if there are plans for elite conferences to start a new NCAA and breakaway. At that point, the new organization will likely do a collective bargaining agreement with the networks like the NFL rather than keep it up to each conference.

Big Red should come on home.
08-12-2020 03:10 PM
cubucks Offline
All American

I Root For: tOSU/UNL/Ohio
(08-12-2020 02:48 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  IMO, the answer is neither.

Nebraska was a member of the Big 8 (Big 7/Big 6/MVIAA) for over 70 years. It was "only" in the Big 12 for 14 seasons. In a few short seasons, it will be in the B1G longer than it ever was in the Big 12. It shared an association with Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State for over 80 seasons; Colorado for over 60. Even if it were to "return" to the Big 12, one without Colorado and Missouri, would it really return for the sake of Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State? Oklahoma is a big brand name, definitely, but the Big 12 doesn't have the academic associations that the B1G has.

Nebraska belongs in an updated Big 8, but due to realignment, that is now impossible. We also shouldn't forget why many programs left the Big 12 to begin with. Those reasons still remain (money/associations), and there was a perception that the leaving programs wanted to move away from Texas/LHN and the unequal revenue sharing.

Nebraska can be upset all it wants right now. The players, coaches and athletic department can all say whatever they want. Ultimately, I don't see their President and BOT walking away from the academic associations of the B1G, as well as the guaranteed future revenue/exposure that the B1G carries.
This is exactly right!

Add in prop 48 and Nebraska was done! They long for the Big 8 and NOT the Big 12. Yes, they won a Natty in the Big 12, with the heart of that team from the Big 8 days.

Nebraska isn't Texas A&M, they have no recruiting territory nor do they even border any resemblance of a great recruiting state, I'll give them Colorado. Prop 48 meant everything to that program and now they'll need a magician to recruit there. Frost has actually done a very solid job, we'll see if it produces results.

I'm irritated with the Big 10 conference, but Nebraska isn't going anywhere!
08-12-2020 03:14 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I always thought that the strongest teams in the Big 8 should have gone to the Big Ten. But The B1G probably wouldn't have invited them at the time the SWC collapsed, so they went south instead of east. Now, I'm not sure Nebraska really fits well anywhere, so they should just stay where they'll make the most money.
08-12-2020 03:17 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Nebraska makes more sense — based on culture, history, location, etc. — in the Big 12 than the Big Ten.
08-12-2020 03:21 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Nebraska to the AAC
08-12-2020 03:23 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
To all the folks who said the Big 8, you are absolutely right.

Unfortunately, you can’t put the genie back in the bottle but it’s too bad that in the days of 7 major conferences, Big 10, Big 8, Pac 10, SWC, SEC, ACC, and Big East that they didn’t develop an 8 team playoff with the winners of those 7 leagues plus an at large (Indy, runner up or freak Cinderella).

Rose, Sugar, Orange, and Cotton/Fiesta Bowls could have served as the quarter final sites, keeping the traditional tie ins.

Winners advance to semi finals and then the finals. CCGs don’t become a thing.
08-12-2020 03:32 PM
Eggszecutor Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Nebraska

I like this answer. I've said for a number of years that the Big Ten West is as close to the Big 8 as we will ever get going forward. Somehow getting OU/KU on board would be the ideal outcome for Nebraska.
08-12-2020 03:32 PM
Advertisement

bgwisc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: wisconsin
(08-12-2020 03:14 PM)cubucks Wrote:  

This is exactly right!

Add in prop 48 and Nebraska was done! They long for the Big 8 and NOT the Big 12. Yes, they won a Natty in the Big 12, with the heart of that team from the Big 8 days.

Nebraska isn't Texas A&M, they have no recruiting territory nor do they even border any resemblance of a great recruiting state, I'll give them Colorado. Prop 48 meant everything to that program and now they'll need a magician to recruit there. Frost has actually done a very solid job, we'll see if it produces results.

I'm irritated with the Big 10 conference, but Nebraska isn't going anywhere!

I couldn't say it better than either of you, so I won't. Spot on.
08-12-2020 03:33 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
The Big 8 is where they belong. The Big 12 would be better than where they are.
08-12-2020 03:37 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(08-12-2020 03:10 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  They are obviously a Big 8 school who should be playing Big 8 teams in the Big 12. Honestly, the only reason everything started to fall apart was due to their departure and Texas’ ambitions. Things have settled now, and the end they feared never came to pass. Nebraska should realign themselves with their historic and academic peers. If Nebraska is back in the fold, the Big 12 can start looking seriously at teams that make geographic sense for the conference. Maybe Missouri or Colorado come back, maybe Arkansas decides that they want to compete without being the whipping boy of a very prestigious but very tough SEC West. If you could back 12 with those schools, and WVU finds a way into the ACC or the SEC and has geographic and historic rivals, then suddenly everyone is winning and benefiting.

There is a plenty of bad blood from realignment, but sensibly aligning ourselves moving forward makes sense. Especially if cable revenue continues to decline and the BTN stops being a money maker, and especially if there are plans for elite conferences to start a new NCAA and breakaway. At that point, the new organization will likely do a collective bargaining agreement with the networks like the NFL rather than keep it up to each conference.

The problem with this is the next-next realignment. Even if Nebraska comes back to the Big 12, Texas/OK/Kansas could make more in the SEC/Big 10. Texas moving wouldn't harm Nebraska's opinion of the Big 12 that much, but if OK left, especially if they left with OK St., then all of a sudden, OK/St/Missouri or OK/Missouri/Kansas are in the SEC, Colorado is in the PAC, and whats left of the Big 8 is KSU/ISU one of Kansas/OK St and Nebraska. A big 4 and none of whom move the dial that much in terms of rivalries.

Now I could see a mass move to the SEC with Nebraska/Kansas/OK/OK St/ISU to join Missouri. That leaves only Colorado and KSU. However, that is a large grab and thought OK/Kansas might be worth it and ISU has a solid fan base, financially that doesn't really work as well as in theory.

Nebraska/Kansas/OK/OK St to the PAC might not work either since OK/OK St have already been turned down.
08-12-2020 03:38 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
At the end of the day Nebraska has B1G fans not XII level fans.

The same with TAMU and the SEC. Fans like that no need to be in a starter P5 with Baylor and Texas Tech.
08-12-2020 03:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
The results of the voting on whether to postpone the Fall 2020 season show where Nebraska fits better.

Nebraska and the Big 12 voted for a football season, the rest of the Big Ten did not...(except for the team from the one B1G state that shares a border with Nebraska...and also has a Big 12 member institution).
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 03:52 PM by YNot.)
08-12-2020 03:45 PM
Advertisement

YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(08-12-2020 03:38 PM)Soobahk40050 Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 03:10 PM)Sicembear11 Wrote:  They are obviously a Big 8 school who should be playing Big 8 teams in the Big 12. Honestly, the only reason everything started to fall apart was due to their departure and Texas’ ambitions. Things have settled now, and the end they feared never came to pass. Nebraska should realign themselves with their historic and academic peers. If Nebraska is back in the fold, the Big 12 can start looking seriously at teams that make geographic sense for the conference. Maybe Missouri or Colorado come back, maybe Arkansas decides that they want to compete without being the whipping boy of a very prestigious but very tough SEC West. If you could back 12 with those schools, and WVU finds a way into the ACC or the SEC and has geographic and historic rivals, then suddenly everyone is winning and benefiting.

The problem with this is the next-next realignment. Even if Nebraska comes back to the Big 12, Texas/OK/Kansas could make more in the SEC/Big 10. Texas moving wouldn't harm Nebraska's opinion of the Big 12 that much, but if OK left, especially if they left with OK St., then all of a sudden, OK/St/Missouri or OK/Missouri/Kansas are in the SEC, Colorado is in the PAC, and whats left of the Big 8 is KSU/ISU one of Kansas/OK St and Nebraska. A big 4 and none of whom move the dial that much in terms of rivalries.

Now I could see a mass move to the SEC with Nebraska/Kansas/OK/OK St/ISU to join Missouri. That leaves only Colorado and KSU. However, that is a large grab and thought OK/Kansas might be worth it and ISU has a solid fan base, financially that doesn't really work as well as in theory.

Nebraska/Kansas/OK/OK St to the PAC might not work either since OK/OK St have already been turned down.

What about Nebraska, Kansas, and Oklahoma to the SEC? Ie, no Oklahoma State or Iowa State....

That would give Nebraska a home with:

1) $$ on par with the B1G

2) Real rivalry games

3) drivable road games

4) access to Texas again
08-12-2020 03:51 PM
Ohio Poly Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ohio Poly
Big 12 - in WVU's place
08-12-2020 04:06 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Schools Nebraska belongs with, in order:
1) Oklahoma
2) Colorado
3) Iowa
4) Kansas
5) Kansas St
6) Iowa St
7) Missouri
8) Minnesota
9) Oklahoma St
10) Texas

XII - 6
B1G - 2
PAC - 1
SEC - 1

Furthermore, Nebraska belongs wherever Oklahoma is. Those two have had a Game of the Century. When the series "Great Gridiron Rivalries" was created in the mid-2000's, they did 3 rivalries: Michigan-Ohio St, Auburn-Alabama, Nebraska-Oklahoma. I attended the Iowa St/Oklahoma game last year - Nebraska was on its bye week - and there were a minimum of two dozen Nebraska fans in my upper deck section 6.5 hours from Lincoln. Barry Switzer appeared on the Nebraska jumbotron recently to "pump the fans up". These two have a natural affinity for each other and have groups who travel to the other's stadium during a bye week.

Finally, there's just something something "spooky" when the cornfields of Nebraska clash with the cornfields of Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas St, or Iowa St. The Great Plains region just oozes an eerie "halloween" feel when these Big 8 schools play fall football and Nebraska's a quick 130/190/225 miles from KSU/KU/ISU.

Nebraska belongs in the XII, by a distant margin.
08-12-2020 04:36 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Big Ten fans vote Big XII, while Big XII fans vote Big Ten
08-12-2020 04:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.