Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt and CUSA to Play College Football
Bookmark and Share
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
Sun Belt and CUSA to Play College Football
https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football...this-fall/

Countless national TV games, unprecedented media coverage, brand expansion, relationship bonding, etc

If these teams can stay health and pull this off, it could wind up being the greatest missed opportunity for JMU in the history of athletics.
08-11-2020 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
RE: Sun Belt and CUSA to Play College Football
(08-11-2020 07:34 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football...this-fall/

Countless national TV games, unprecedented media coverage, brand expansion, relationship bonding, etc

If these teams can stay health and pull this off, it could wind up being the greatest missed opportunity for JMU in the history of athletics.

Don’t forget y’all’s arch-nemesis Liberty is playing this season too. Unless everyone cancels and we are the last man standing.....wait would that make us the National Champions!!.... 03-razz
08-11-2020 07:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1998JMU Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU
These conferences must have amazing safety protocols to ensure everyone's safety and health during this pandemic.
08-11-2020 07:50 PM
DukeThaDawg Offline
Bench Warmer

(08-11-2020 07:34 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  https://kentuckysportsradio.com/football...this-fall/

Say hello to the new Power 5

SEC
ACC
Big 12
AAC
Sun Belt/CUSA

Let's hope JMU and the whole FCS can put together that Spring 2021 Football Season
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020 08:03 PM by DukeThaDawg.)
08-11-2020 08:03 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
I’m predicting a Dukeman2 jinx again with this thread.
08-11-2020 08:19 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-11-2020 08:03 PM)DukeThaDawg Wrote:  Say hello to the new Power 5

SEC
ACC
Big 12
AAC
Sun Belt/CUSA

Let's hope JMU and the whole FCS can put together that Spring 2021 Football Season

It sure would be interesting if they make the fall season work and one of AAC/SB/CUSA lands a CFP slot.

While it seems unlikely ... if there are 3 P5 conferences and 4 slots, how do they agree on who gets that 4th slot? All that AAC “P6” marketing may pay off, or maybe someone like App St gets a dream shot at it.

Spring could open up more exposure for FCS, but sure hope that doesn’t result in a permanent shift. Football is meant to be played in Fall, as I believe Bourne said in one of his prior interviews. My one fear with a spring season is it might be a little too financially successful for FCS.
(This post was last modified: 08-11-2020 08:23 PM by JMURocks.)
08-11-2020 08:21 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
When the remaining NCAA schools are taking the cues from the SEC, it is proof the NCAA amateur model is dead.
08-11-2020 08:29 PM
DukeDogNation Offline
Banned

(08-11-2020 07:34 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  If these teams can stay health and pull this off, it could wind up being the greatest missed opportunity for JMU in the history of athletics.

What missed opportunity is that?

As far as I know, JMU wasn't invited to join either conference this year and declined. There weren't games scheduled with these teams that we had to decline because we postponed the fall season. The only missed opportunity would be that JMU, without the foresight of a global pandemic shutting down most of college football several years later, turned down an invitation to the Sun Belt, which would have been a terrible deal on its own.

Can't complain about the punch if you weren't even invited to the dance.
08-11-2020 08:51 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes

JMU can't scedule football games, just ask Warner and Cignetti.
08-11-2020 10:32 PM
jmuduke10 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison U
(08-11-2020 08:19 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I’m predicting a Dukeman2 jinx again with this thread.

Yea would be shocked if this aged well
08-12-2020 06:57 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2020 06:57 AM)jmuduke10 Wrote:  
(08-11-2020 08:19 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  I’m predicting a Dukeman2 jinx again with this thread.

And when it doesn’t we can count on Dukeman2 posting another thread that criticizes the JMU admin to try to support his position that JMU should have joined these conferences.
08-12-2020 07:49 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(08-11-2020 07:44 PM)Curtisc83 Wrote:  

Don’t forget y’all’s arch-nemesis Liberty is playing this season too. Unless everyone cancels and we are the last man standing.....wait would that make us the National Champions!!.... 03-razz

Not even remotely surprised Liberty will be one of the last to cancel football. Players safety is certainly not an issue for Liberty, as it wasn't even a concern for the students several months ago or the pressure that was put on the city of Lynchburg.
Bravo.
08-12-2020 07:57 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I know that Sun Belt and Cusa are forging ahead at this point but I just don’t see how it’s feasible financially.

By all accounts Sec and Acc and Big 12 will have limited if any OOC game opportunities. Very unlikely there will be fans in the stands. Tv revenue deals are set. Bowls were already a losing proposition financially for these mid majors now and they already had financial challenges with the travel within their conference. Now they will have added costs in terms of regular testing. I just don’t see the upside- is it all based on the football playoff and their slice
Of that pie? Would think the pie will be smaller this season. I just don’t see how it’s feasible. I think these conferences are delaying the inevitable in hopes that if they wait long enough maybe there will be a chair for them when the music stops
In terms of playoff tv etc but I don’t even think the remaining P5 or NCAA football hierarchy is even considering them for a bigger seat at the table
Even in a year where 2 P5 conferences have already opted out.

If they stay in it literally could spell the end of their conference and some
Of the schools FBS football programs and set them back financially for years.
08-12-2020 08:00 AM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
Oh no, Dukeman2, say it ain't so! Another useless thread on the horizon??

C-USA officials to meet Wednesday as landscape for football season continues to shift
08-12-2020 08:02 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2020 07:49 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 06:57 AM)jmuduke10 Wrote:  

And when it doesn’t we can count on Dukeman2 posting another thread that criticizes the JMU admin to try to support his position that JMU should have joined these conferences.

Last I checked, ODU was part of CUSA and they have already cancelled their season. Perhaps the bot should go to ODU message board and flood them with this thread since they are actually a member of CUSA.
I guess ODU lacks ambition.
As usual, this thread will be garbage just like all the others the bot makes.
Here's hoping we get an article from the Sioux Falls Sports Radio... perhaps not the juggernaut that is Kentucky Sports Radio, but I'm sure they'll be the next to get quoted as credible.
08-12-2020 08:06 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Also folks compare College football to pro- some big and obvious differences. Pro aside from having contracts and being paid well have a players union to grieve rights in terms of testing safety protocols etc College athletes do not.

What if college athletes get the virus and it doesn’t impact their health until years later when they aren’t scholarship athletes- what is their recourse? It’s great for fans and “leaders” to say we need college football and many of the student athletes are saying the same things- they want to play and some view it as needing to play to earn a shot at making money but big picture and long term it’s a huge risk and what protections do these student athletes have?

Seems to me more so that the college model is more about universities in certain parts of the country with a demonstrated position on the virus/pandemic and federal leadership With a demonstrated position on the virus/pandemic showing that we can persevere and have some normalcy at the risk of the long term health of the student athlete and for what benefit? little to the student athletes.

Will this be the impetus for unions and a change to the college sports model and would Universities want to further open that Pandora’s box? Maybe for Alabama it makes sense but for Georgia Southern or App State?
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 08:08 AM by NJDuke97.)
08-12-2020 08:06 AM
Advertisement

JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2020 08:06 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  What if college athletes get the virus and it doesn’t impact their health until years later when they aren’t scholarship athletes- what is their recourse? It’s great for fans and “leaders” to say we need college football and many of the student athletes are saying the same things- they want to play and some view it as needing to play to earn a shot at making money but big picture and long term it’s a huge risk and what protections do these student athletes have?

They would have to prove that whatever they are dealing with was directly related to them getting the virus AND prove that they contracted that virus due to playing football.
I would be shocked if the schools or conferences didn't make the players sign an agreement saying that they were aware of the risks associated with playing and if they were to get sick that they wouldn't try to pursue legal action.
Ultimately, it is the players decision. They cannot be forced to play. Plus, these guys want to play and I'm sure are willing to take the risk. The problem that I fear is that many don't truly know how much they are risking their health and their lives.
It's incredibly foolish to think that not a single person will get sick due to this. If they somehow played a season and not a single person contracted this virus as a result, it would be a miracle.
Based on so many schools cancelling their fall sports, schools cannot guarantee the safety of their athletes and are making the right decision. Those that are choosing to play are not doing it for the right reasons. They are doing it for selfish reasons and not for the safety of their student athletes in mind.
That is why I am proud of JMU and most of the schools in the country making that decision. There's a reason there are conferences still wanting to play: money. For Conference USA it makes perfect sense. They are struggling financially. They NEED to play. They don't care about the athletes. They care about getting paid and staying alive as a conference.
The P5 is 100% about money. The SEC is the biggest fish of them all and they will be the last ones to throw in the towel. I believe there will be a few weeks of football from the SEC at the least. The question will be- how many people will need to get sick before they ultimately cancel. There is no way they'll be able to make it through an entire season without casualties. It's just not realistic.
The sport is too physical and too many people involved to keep this isolated. Remember these are college students. All it takes is for one person to do what they aren't supposed to do and get infected. Does anyone really expect every single college athlete to do what they are supposed to do to make sure they don't get sick??? And if they do, do you really think they wouldn't try to get out there on the field regardless?
08-12-2020 09:21 AM
DukeDogNation Offline
Banned

(08-12-2020 09:21 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  I would be shocked if the schools or conferences didn't make the players sign an agreement saying that they were aware of the risks associated with playing and if they were to get sick that they wouldn't try to pursue legal action.

The NCAA banned COVID-19 liability waivers.
08-12-2020 09:24 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(08-12-2020 09:24 AM)DukeDogNation Wrote:  
(08-12-2020 09:21 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  I would be shocked if the schools or conferences didn't make the players sign an agreement saying that they were aware of the risks associated with playing and if they were to get sick that they wouldn't try to pursue legal action.

The NCAA banned COVID-19 liability waivers.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. Good on the NCAA for doing that.
Schools would be pretty foolish to start playing in that case. Players are bound to get sick and they have no idea what the ramifications would be if a player were to get seriously ill.
However, I doubt the school would have any liability if a players spread it to a family member that got seriously ill.
08-12-2020 09:39 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Big schools are flush with cash and can afford the risk of future law suits, players unionizing and being paid etc just don’t see the upside of G5 schools and conferences taking that risk.

Let’s say a Sun Belt school with lesser resources tries to play- probably higher risk of an outbreak spread because maybe their testing protocols aren’t the same as Clemson or Alabama- also smaller percentage of their guys actually have a chance to make the pros and drafted yet the risk of law suit I’d argue is maybe even greater. Wouldn’t these players band together in a class action suit against the conference the University and the NCAA at some point in the future? The NCAA can afford a settlement and suit the Sun Belt and the Individual G5 Institution couldn’t. Then what? It’s great for coaches to say my players want to play and I stand with them but we live in a litigious society and it’s very likely there will be suits in the mid and long term as a result of trying to play this Fall.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2020 10:50 AM by NJDuke97.)
08-12-2020 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.