Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Monday Musings
Bookmark and Share
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: EMU
Monday Musings
The MAC is the leaders and best! They canceled and everyone else will soon follow. Or I will be wrong, or the players will make their own league. Grab some pop corn cause its about to be lit. A May game at Rynearson followed up by a meal at Red rock and a cocktail in depot town sounds better and better.
08-10-2020 06:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Monday Musings
(08-10-2020 06:29 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  The MAC is the leaders and best! They canceled and everyone else will soon follow. Or I will be wrong, or the players will make their own league. Grab some pop corn cause its about to be lit. A May game at Rynearson followed up by a meal at Red rock and a cocktail in depot town sounds better and better.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...l-football

EMU highlight at the 1:15 mark of the MAC's
commissioner's talk, too. That is a video highlight!!
08-10-2020 06:31 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
(08-10-2020 06:29 AM)fanfrompowellspub Wrote:  The MAC is the leaders and best! They canceled and everyone else will soon follow. Or I will be wrong, or the players will make their own league. Grab some pop corn cause its about to be lit. A May game at Rynearson followed up by a meal at Red rock and a cocktail in depot town sounds better and better.

They made the right call - the rest of the NCAA should follow suit
08-10-2020 07:50 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

This, I think, is what is driving it. Fear that Covid could lead to problems with heart inflammation in athletes...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/20...lications/

“We have very strong, serious concerns about the potential for covid to affect athletes cardiovascularly,” said Michael Emery, co-director of the sports cardiology department at the Cleveland Clinic. “When you look at covid in general, there seems to be a higher predilection for involvement with the heart than about any other virus we’ve seen.”

Emery said cardiological experts worldwide have published five or six significant papers regarding covid-19 and athletes. “All the papers agree that there should be a heightened level of concern with this virus and cardiac involvement in athletes,” Emery said. While the specifics and suggestions of how to manage the risk differ in those papers, “the overall level of concern is greatly there.”

Since the coronavirus started its spread, the lungs have been at the center of its effects. The virus enters the body through the lungs and can cause severe cases of pneumonia that demand intensive care and intubation. But doctors have long suspected covid-19 also affects the heart. Heart muscle cells have ACE-2 receptors, which the coronavirus uses to enter cells. The lungs, Schneider said, are the only place in the body with more of them than the heart.

“It’s turned out, now that we’re getting more long-term data, the virus also affects the heart,” Schneider said. “And perhaps in a very serious way.”
08-10-2020 08:57 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-statement

a college football players union would be phenomenal
08-10-2020 09:01 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

08-10-2020 10:55 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

et tu B1G? Looks like the B1G HAS decided to go to Spring.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sports...334804001/

SEC still wants to play in fall.
08-10-2020 11:45 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 11:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  et tu B1G? Looks like the B1G HAS decided to go to Spring.

I hate this stupid country
08-10-2020 11:53 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 11:45 AM)emu steve Wrote:  et tu B1G? Looks like the B1G HAS decided to go to Spring.

The interesting comment was from U-M's Prez. He indicated that this decision is likely to be for ALL of this academic year.
08-10-2020 12:29 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-10-2020 12:29 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

The interesting comment was from U-M's Prez. He indicated that this decision is likely to be for ALL of this academic year.

BTW, he is correct with his statement about what will be different in January.

If a vaccine is ready, and Dr. Fauci thinks it is 75% effective, then things can open up.

Will UofM, St. Joes Hospital have vaccines Feb 1 to give to athletes??? That is very, very optimistic. Yet, the U.S. vaccine makers are ramping up now with the hope that their vaccine will be FDA approved and can be administered as soon as it is possible to ramp up a massive vaccine program.

I would assume the hope is that a vaccine will be available 1st quarter 2021 and by say June 30, 2021 most everyone who is priority will have his or her opportunity to get the vaccine.
(This post was last modified: 08-10-2020 12:37 PM by emu steve.)
08-10-2020 12:35 PM
Advertisement

eastcoasteagle Offline
Water Engineer

(08-10-2020 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

If a vaccine is ready, and Dr. Fauci thinks it is 75% effective, then things can open up.

Will UofM, St. Joes Hospital have vaccines Feb 1 to give to athletes??? That is very, very optimistic. Yet, the U.S. vaccine makers are ramping up now with the hope that their vaccine will be FDA approved and can be administered as soon as it is possible to ramp up a massive vaccine program.

I would assume the hope is that a vaccine will be available 1st quarter 2021 and by say June 30, 2021 most everyone who is priority will have his or her opportunity to get the vaccine.

I can't see a season happening in the spring either. I just can't see how anyone could justify giving this vaccine priority to healthy football players over actual at-risk populations where it could save lives. If there is a supply issue, at-risk parties should 100% take priority over healthy athletes.
08-10-2020 01:17 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

On another note, still football-related, Chad Ryland is on scholarship now. He talked to the Ypsi Eleven: https://medium.com/@ARAlvarado13/chad-ry...4251af967e
08-10-2020 02:23 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(08-10-2020 01:17 PM)eastcoasteagle Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 12:35 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I can't see a season happening in the spring either. I just can't see how anyone could justify giving this vaccine priority to healthy football players over actual at-risk populations where it could save lives. If there is a supply issue, at-risk parties should 100% take priority over healthy athletes.

I reluctantly agree East Coast.

On January 1, 2021, however, we will have a clearer picture of risk analysis associated with football. We should have a more definitive opinion on the corollary and long term effects of virus infection on all age groups. Also we should have an improved handle on means of transmission. Perhaps we will find out the original virus hot spots of NY, NJ and Detroit are no longer hot because the virus simply washed through the areas. No matter what we will have far more information than we do now. I, like you, am hardly optimistic about spring football, but unlike this fall, there is a slim chance.
08-10-2020 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.