mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
The 2020 MAC football season is cancelled
https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-can...ssion=true

Quote: Sources: MAC Cancels Fall College Football Season
COLLEGE FOOTBALL
4 HOURS AGO
Brett McMurphy, Stadium College Football Insider Brett McMurphy, Stadium College Football Insider

The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year.
08-08-2020 09:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
RE: The 2020 MAC football season is cancelled
(08-08-2020 09:28 AM)mufanatehc Wrote:  https://watchstadium.com/sources-mac-can...ssion=true

Quote: Sources: MAC Cancels Fall College Football Season
COLLEGE FOOTBALL
4 HOURS AGO
Brett McMurphy, Stadium College Football Insider Brett McMurphy, Stadium College Football Insider

The Mid-American Conference has canceled its football season this fall because of player health and safety concerns regarding COVID-19, sources told Stadium.

The 12-member MAC is the first Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) conference opting not to play this fall. On Wednesday, UConn, an independent, became the first FBS school to announce it would not play this year.

Can't say I didn't see it coming....
08-08-2020 09:44 AM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
I think it’s important to note they plan on playing in the spring.

Who knows if it happens though.
08-08-2020 09:54 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
If all the other conferences play football this fall I highly doubt the MAC plays football in the spring on its own. We won't play football again until Fall 2021.
08-08-2020 10:12 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(08-08-2020 10:12 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  If all the other conferences play football this fall I highly doubt the MAC plays football in the spring on its own. We won't play football again until Fall 2021.

Yeah, hard to say. FCS is going spring.

It will be crazy. I think FCS is trying to have their playoffs but the MAC will be shut out of bowl games!!
08-08-2020 10:15 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-08-2020 10:12 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  If all the other conferences play football this fall I highly doubt the MAC plays football in the spring on its own. We won't play football again until Fall 2021.

I think putting together spring football will be a lot more complicated than people think. Hard for me to imagine the MAC does this in isolation. I can’t see the P5 conferences following suit with their NFL prospects probably sitting out a spring season to prepare for the draft.
08-08-2020 10:19 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(08-08-2020 10:15 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

It will be crazy. I think FCS is trying to have their playoffs but the MAC will be shut out of bowl games!!

I look at it this way. If the MAC plays in the spring on its own, then we can probably have lots of televised Saturday football on ESPN/ABC. But the downside is our football programs will inevitably have injuries, so we'll be done with football in April or May and players with anything more than minor injuries won't have enough time to get healthy for Fall 2020 season.
08-08-2020 10:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
There won't be any football this fall, anywhere. The domino effect continues...who's next? I bet the Sun Belt or the Mountain West.
08-08-2020 10:32 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(08-08-2020 10:21 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

I look at it this way. If the MAC plays in the spring on its own, then we can probably have lots of televised Saturday football on ESPN/ABC. But the downside is our football programs will inevitably have injuries, so we'll be done with football in April or May and players with anything more than minor injuries won't have enough time to get healthy for Fall 2020 season.

Some of the downsides:

1). Bowl games are gone,

2). IF there is no spring ball, MAC has recruiting problems as they won't have a senior class playing the 2020 season. They could have the 2020 senior class redshirting + 2021 recruiting class. That would put them over 85 scholarships.

3). Schools like EMU will have missed two spring balls (we had I think only one or two sessions before 2020 spring ball was canceled).

4). Screws things up for players looking at a NFL career. March are pro days not game days.

Upside:

If another FBS conference opts out of fall ball, there could be enough G5, FCS, etc. ball to get some nice TV.
08-08-2020 11:09 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

NIU athletic department anticipates a loss of $3 million from reduction in NCAA disbursements, university budget cuts, and decrease in student fees.

No mention of less TV revenue from ESPN by not having fall sports.

.jpg  Screenshot_20200808-120818_Email.jpg (Size: 463.09 KB / Downloads: 6)
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 11:18 AM by epasnoopy.)
08-08-2020 11:18 AM
ilovegymnast Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State
No reason they couldn't do pro days on a by week for each team. And if anything it allows them to be scouted even more if they are the only game in town.
08-08-2020 11:40 AM
Advertisement

mufanatehc Offline
Hmm...

I Root For: BSU, EHC, & MU
(08-08-2020 10:21 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

I think the TV availability in the spring will be overstated. We'll be going up against not only other conferences that move to spring, but also the NBA, NHL, MLS, Euro soccer, and later MLB.
08-08-2020 12:07 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Think the seniors will be given an extra year, but it will complicate scholarships as the 85 limit will still stand.
08-08-2020 12:08 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I would guess that not playing football this year, the MAC schools will lose the ESPN revenue?
08-08-2020 12:18 PM
DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-08-2020 11:40 AM)ilovegymnast Wrote:  No reason they couldn't do pro days on a by week for each team. And if anything it allows them to be scouted even more if they are the only game in town.

I think most are too pessimistic, not optimistic enough. Most optimists are predicting Covid cures by the end of the year. It is quite possible that by the time we play games in March, April, and May that we can have cheerleaders, marching bands, and fans. The ESPN family will cover all the games, so ESPN+, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPN 2, ESPN. If we are the only FBS league playing in the Fall, we could play anywhere from an 8 to an 11 game conference schedule, plus the MACC. We could also play a non league or 2 games vs FCS teams. This is likely to be a much more entertaining and safe way to go than playing this Fall.

It is possible other conferences will follow the MAC to the Spring, that would open up the possibilities of non conference ( maybe buy games?) and postseason games ( Hey, MAC teams could host a bowl game in MAY.)

It would be a quick turn around to 2021 Fall season, but you would just skip Spring practice all together.
08-08-2020 12:19 PM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Spring football ain’t gonna happen. If it does, itll be scrimmages agains other schools. It so impractical.
08-08-2020 12:29 PM
Advertisement

ilovegymnast Online
All American

I Root For: Kent State
What makes it impractical?
08-08-2020 12:38 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Not having spring football would complicate scholarships situations. Like Dick optimism.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 12:42 PM by Steve1981.)
08-08-2020 12:41 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(08-08-2020 10:32 AM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  There won't be any football this fall, anywhere. The domino effect continues...who's next? I bet the Sun Belt or the Mountain West.

I don't think its a domino effect. Its more like a dumbell effect.

To play a contact sport like football in close quarters is inviting one symptomatic behavior to infect a whole team. The MAC by quitting football removes them from all the problems playing it.

The fall is going to be a cluster f' trying to get schools and colleges going again. It may be that a few of the southern conferences try to get a season going for it to be a total disaster.

Maybe its time for colleges to evaluate football all together as a sport. The MAC could play soccer in the fall instead of football. Less scholarships and medical liability.
08-08-2020 12:42 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Singles tennis is the perfect covid sport.
And golf too.
08-08-2020 01:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.