Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

KICK THE CAN
SMUstang Offline
Banned

I Root For: SMU Mustangs
KICK THE CAN
To me it is obvious, kick the can down to the spring of 2021. Hopefully then you can have fans attend, tailgates, TV revenue, and more income per school. And the conferences have already prepared for this eventuality.
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 09:13 AM by SMUstang.)
08-08-2020 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stay Cool Offline
The Masked Moderator

I Root For: NIU, tOSU, UC
RE: KICK THE CAN
(08-08-2020 09:10 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  To me it is obvious, kick the can down to the spring of 2021. Hopefully then you can have fans attend, tailgates, TV revenue, and more income per school. And the conferences have already prepared for this eventuality.
Assuming the nation properly responds to the pandemic and makes safe practices to help eradicate the spread, so...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
08-08-2020 09:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Everything I've read suggests we will have a resurgence in the winter which is normal flu season. Odds are they have a better chance in the fall.
08-08-2020 09:40 AM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-08-2020 09:10 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  To me it is obvious, kick the can down to the spring of 2021. Hopefully then you can have fans attend, tailgates, TV revenue, and more income per school. And the conferences have already prepared for this eventuality.

The FCS can do Spring football because they don't have to worry about losing TV money, but the rest of us do.
08-08-2020 09:45 AM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

(08-08-2020 09:45 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

The FCS can do Spring football because they don't have to worry about losing TV money, but the rest of us do.

Is money more important than lives?
08-08-2020 10:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(08-08-2020 10:34 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  

All I'm saying is that there will be no spring football for FBS if a spring schedule compromises TV money.

As for you question, I dunno. You might could say that the case for many universities that are responding to market forces by choosing having in-person classes over drops in enrollment? Or do we just accept that life comes with risks that we can't eliminate, but only minimize within reason?
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 10:56 AM by EigenEagle.)
08-08-2020 10:49 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
Diseases of economic despair are a real thing too. It's not necessarily the student athlete who loses out, but the economic impact of shuttering the entire college football ecosystem - coaches and trainers, people who work in concession stands (or the groups that work in them to raise money for an organization), bus drivers, airlines, broadcasters . . .

It may be easy not to have sympathy on a coach earning $1 Million+ annually. But for everyone of them, there are others who will suffer real economic harm by not having a season, who will likely see reduced life expectancy because of that from deferred medical treatments and additional stress.

The schools with the richest programs who normally get several million back for general univeristy usage will also suffer, because ultimately the school has to cut expenses - which likely means program offerings - or raise tuition.
08-08-2020 10:51 AM
Advertisement

SMUstang Offline
Banned

(08-08-2020 10:49 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

All I'm saying is that there will be no spring football for FBS if a spring schedule compromises TV money.

As for you question, I dunno. Uou might could say that the case for many universities that are responding to market forces by choosing having in-person classes over drops in enrollment? Or do we just accept that life comes with risks that we can't eliminate, but only minimize within reason?

It will ultimately be up to the college presidents to decide if football is worth the risk.
08-08-2020 10:52 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-08-2020 09:40 AM)bullet Wrote:  Everything I've read suggests we will have a resurgence in the winter which is normal flu season. Odds are they have a better chance in the fall.

Thats what Im thinking. I dont see the Spring being better at all--in fact, I see fairly good reasons to think it may be worse. The only hope is that a vaccine is available (or some cocktail of existing drugs is found that creates a near cure similar to the AID's cocktail in the 1980's).
08-08-2020 12:08 PM
jwawker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UConn, Colo St.
(08-08-2020 12:08 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 09:40 AM)bullet Wrote:  Everything I've read suggests we will have a resurgence in the winter which is normal flu season. Odds are they have a better chance in the fall.

Thats what Im thinking. I dont see the Spring being better at all--in fact, I see fairly good reasons to think it may be worse. The only hope is that a vaccine is available (or some cocktail of existing drugs is found that creates a near cure similar to the AID's cocktail in the 1980's).

I don't think we will see college football at any level until Fall, 2021.
08-08-2020 12:11 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(08-08-2020 10:52 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  

As for you question, I dunno. Uou might could say that the case for many universities that are responding to market forces by choosing having in-person classes over drops in enrollment? Or do we just accept that life comes with risks that we can't eliminate, but only minimize within reason?

It will ultimately be up to the college presidents to decide if football is worth the risk.

Here is the thing I look at---the US is at about 5 million cases of Covid-19 nationwide. Virtually none of those cases have anything to do with sports. The reality is that the virus is spreading like wildfire in that 18-22 year old age group due to that age group's behaviors. So, is a group of football players taking massive precautions to avoid getting the virus really any more at risk than just letting those same kids run with their friends in an 18-22 year old age group already proven to be at high risk of contracting the virus? Out of those 13K or so FBS football players, I dont think there is going to be much difference at all in the number of them that contract the virus over the next 12 months whether they play or dont play.

In other words, canceling the season does not suddenly make these players immune to Covid-19. It only reduces the risk if these players then go home and stay there like the 65 year old (and above) folks who are basically quarantining in place. Anyone really believe the 13,000 college athletes in question intend to quarantine in place for the next 12 months?
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2020 12:37 PM by Attackcoog.)
08-08-2020 12:14 PM
SMUstang Offline
Banned

(08-08-2020 12:14 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 10:52 AM)SMUstang Wrote:  
(08-08-2020 09:45 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  The FCS can do Spring football because they don't have to worry about losing TV money, but the rest of us do.

Here is the thing I look at---the US is at about 5 million cases of Covid-19 nationwide. Virtually none of those cases have anything to do with sports. The reality is that the virus is spreading like wildfire in that 18-22 year old age group due to that age group's behaviors. So, is a group of football players taking massive precautions to avoid getting the virus really any more at risk than just letting those same kids run with their friends in an 18-22 year old age group already proven to be at high risk of contracting the virus? Out of those 13K or so FBS football players, I dont think there is going to be much difference at all in the number of them that contract the virus over the next 12 months whether they play or dont play.

In other words, canceling the season does not suddenly make these players immune to Covid-19. It only reduces the risk if these players then go home and stay there like the 65 year old (and above) folks who are basically quarantining in place. Anyone really believe the 13,000 college athletes in question intend to quarantine in place for the next 12 months?

Quote:
We may not have a college football season in the Big Ten,‘' Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren told the BTN last week after the conference eliminated non-league competition for all fall sports — a move that was followed by the Pac-12 the following day.

This would probably be followed by a Pac-12 exit, then who knows?
08-08-2020 01:09 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Spring is a nice way of saying cancelled.

1. Every NFL prospect for 2021 draft will pass, and so will every 2022 prospect, as they will want to be in game shape for the 2021 fall season
2. TV will not pay anywhere near as much in Spring, as that is not in the contracts, and they are competing against other Spring sports.

In short it wont happen
08-08-2020 02:22 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
That is the problem about a fall football season. All it takes is one student to die at a D1 school, not even an athlete, and that particular conference will probably cancel everything for at least the fall, probably longer.

And in this lawsuit-happy world, the parents will likely sue that school and anybody else who was involved for millions of dollars.

The bar has lowered more and more especially with what has happened with the Cardinals and the Marlins in baseball. The Cardinals were just about ready to play, then had 3 new positive cases. So they likely have to wait another week minimum. The Marlins had to basically put in half a new team.

Even in my state, South Carolina, the highest amount of fans allowed outside is 250 unless the school can get an exemption for the Governor. And SC is one of the less restrictive states.

If he gave an exemption for every single school playing football (FBS and FCS), what would it be? 20% capacity? Lower? The ECHL (minor league hockey) already delayed their season to December. They can’t afford to play without fans. FCS schools can’t afford to either.
08-08-2020 02:44 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
A spring season is unlikely.

The best reason to *say* you're playing a spring season is to prevent your best players from transferring to a team that is still planning to play this fall.

If the season is completely canceled, players who want to transfer have a better argument for being able to play right away for their new team, if that team is playing this fall.

If the season is just (officially) moved to the spring, a team has a better argument against its own players being able to transfer out and be eligible for a new team this year.
08-08-2020 02:45 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(08-08-2020 02:45 PM)Wedge Wrote:  A spring season is unlikely.

The best reason to *say* you're playing a spring season is to prevent your best players from transferring to a team that is still planning to play this fall.

If the season is completely canceled, players who want to transfer have a better argument for being able to play right away for their new team, if that team is playing this fall.

If the season is just (officially) moved to the spring, a team has a better argument against its own players being able to transfer out and be eligible for a new team this year.

Plus it buys them more time for a) a vaccine to become effective and accessible enough to get to their student-athletes, b) a better plan to protect them if they play a full season, c) the virus dying off on its own, somehow. And if things are obviously going downhill in the winter, they can ax that fairly early in the game (whether they will or not is anyone's guess).
08-08-2020 02:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.