Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Next New Year's Six setup
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Next New Year's Six setup
BESIDES changes to the CFP (increase to 6 or 8 teams, automatic bids, whatever), what changes would you either want or expect in the next cycle for the NON-CFP New Year's Six bowls?

- I expect a continued automatic bid for the top ranked G5, maybe to the CFP but at the very least to a NY6 bowl. I saw an interview with Moke Aresco. He said his goal is for the AAC to get an autobid to the NY6 and for the highest ranked "G4" to still get to compete for an automatic NY6 bid. I don't see that happening. The AAC is by far the best G5, but they're still G5, and, right or wrong, they'll continue to be treated as such.

- I think it would be fair to make a provision for independent teams not named to qualify. (Notre Dame currently has a quasi tie in with the Orange Bowl where, in years when the OB isn't part of the CFP, it can play opposite the ACC team instead of a B1G or SEC team.) For the non-ND independents, maybe it could be something like the old BCS had for non-AQ teams. Back then, non-AQ champions who finished in the top 16 AND ahead of an AQ champion were given a BCS spot. Maybe do the same for an independent who finishes in the top 16. All that said, I think this is a long shot; P5's make the rules.

Any other ideas?
08-06-2020 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Next New Year's Six setup
I’d like the set up to be still be the NY6. Each year 4 of the bowls would be quarterfinal hosts. The other 2 would host both their regular bowl and then a semifinal, similar to the later years of the BCS when there would still be a PAC 10/12 vs Big 10 bowl game on NYD, but then the stadium hosted the BCS Title Game a week later.

The Rose, Sugar, and Orange Bowls could keep their tie ins for the New Years bowls in years that they were hosting a semi final.

The Cotton, Peach, and Fiesta Bowls could pick from whoever was available for the New Years Bowls when hosting a semi final.
(This post was last modified: 08-06-2020 09:19 AM by Fighting Muskie.)
08-06-2020 09:17 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
The change I expect is there will be no non-CFP NY6 bowls.

Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose will make up the quarterfinals.

Peach, Fiesta will make up the semifinals.

This has the trickle effect of elevating all bowls, as the NY6 all participate in the playoff and the non-NY6 move up 2 slots in the pecking order.
08-06-2020 10:52 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(08-06-2020 10:52 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The change I expect is there will be no non-CFP NY6 bowls.

Orange, Sugar, Cotton, Rose will make up the quarterfinals.

Peach, Fiesta will make up the semifinals.

This has the trickle effect of elevating all bowls, as the NY6 all participate in the playoff and the non-NY6 move up 2 slots in the pecking order.

Decent chance it gets reduced to 5 bowls. Noon NYE has just not been a good ratings slot. P5, top G5, 4 wild cards. 4 are playoff bowls.
08-06-2020 11:41 AM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(08-06-2020 08:42 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  BESIDES changes to the CFP (increase to 6 or 8 teams, automatic bids, whatever), what changes would you either want or expect in the next cycle for the NON-CFP New Year's Six bowls?

- I expect a continued automatic bid for the top ranked G5, maybe to the CFP but at the very least to a NY6 bowl. I saw an interview with Moke Aresco. He said his goal is for the AAC to get an autobid to the NY6 and for the highest ranked "G4" to still get to compete for an automatic NY6 bid. I don't see that happening. The AAC is by far the best G5, but they're still G5, and, right or wrong, they'll continue to be treated as such.

- I think it would be fair to make a provision for independent teams not named to qualify. (Notre Dame currently has a quasi tie in with the Orange Bowl where, in years when the OB isn't part of the CFP, it can play opposite the ACC team instead of a B1G or SEC team.) For the non-ND independents, maybe it could be something like the old BCS had for non-AQ teams. Back then, non-AQ champions who finished in the top 16 AND ahead of an AQ champion were given a BCS spot. Maybe do the same for an independent who finishes in the top 16. All that said, I think this is a long shot; P5's make the rules.

Any other ideas?

That is absolutely the goal of the AAC & the P6 campaign. The AAC is closer to the P5 conferences than the group of conferences. It will be something that at the very least is discussed, especially with the AAC having a virtual lock on the NY6 bid.

"Group of five conferences" is what's written into the CFP contract, when the contract is up so is that term. A new contract will be drawn up with any adjustments required. One such adjustment that could be made is adding the AAC to the list of conferences competing in the CFP and having the "Group of four conferences" compete for the access bowl. If the AAC doesn't lose members to current P5 conferences it's not as much of a long shot as people think.
08-06-2020 01:13 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
If they go with an 8-team playoff where there are autobids for all 5 P5 champions + the best G5 champion + 2 at-large teams, then you don't need 6 major bowls any more, you only need 4 that would act as quarterfinals in the playoffs

Assuming the 4 bowls making the cut would be the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Cotton, then they could play 2 games on New Years day and 2 games on the Saturday before or after New Years.

Who plays where can be determined by the playoff committee, with strong preference given to the top seeds getting the first choice. The Rose Bowl no longer goes to the Big Ten & PAC champions, but instead goes to the highest seeded team that wants the Rose Bowl.

If the Rose Bowl does not like that idea, it could choose to bow out as a playoff host and become a secondary bowl that hosts the Big Ten and PAC runner-ups. I am sure the Fiesta Bowl would gladly take their spot as a playoff bowl.
08-06-2020 02:11 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-06-2020 02:11 PM)goofus Wrote:  If they go with an 8-team playoff where there are autobids for all 5 P5 champions + the best G5 champion + 2 at-large teams, then you don't need 6 major bowls any more, you only need 4 that would act as quarterfinals in the playoffs

Assuming the 4 bowls making the cut would be the Rose, Sugar, Orange and Cotton, then they could play 2 games on New Years day and 2 games on the Saturday before or after New Years.

Who plays where can be determined by the playoff committee, with strong preference given to the top seeds getting the first choice. The Rose Bowl no longer goes to the Big Ten & PAC champions, but instead goes to the highest seeded team that wants the Rose Bowl.

If the Rose Bowl does not like that idea, it could choose to bow out as a playoff host and become a secondary bowl that hosts the Big Ten and PAC runner-ups. I am sure the Fiesta Bowl would gladly take their spot as a playoff bowl.

The Rose Bowl organizers said a few years ago that they would choose hosting a playoff game every year over hosting a Pac-12/Big Ten matchup.

Filling neutral site stadiums for three rounds of playoffs would be somewhere between very challenging and impossible. They might use bowl games for the first round just because the bowl leeches have so much of a grip on the decision makers in the sport, but it would be better for fans and the sport in general if the first round games were hosted by the higher seeded teams.
08-06-2020 02:33 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-06-2020 02:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(08-06-2020 02:11 PM)goofus Wrote:  If they go with an 8-team playoff where there are autobids for all 5 P5 champions + the best G5 champion + 2 at-large teams, then you don't need 6 major bowls any more, you only need 4 that would act as quarterfinals in the playoffs

The Rose Bowl organizers said a few years ago that they would choose hosting a playoff game every year over hosting a Pac-12/Big Ten matchup.

Filling neutral site stadiums for three rounds of playoffs would be somewhere between very challenging and impossible. They might use bowl games for the first round just because the bowl leeches have so much of a grip on the decision makers in the sport, but it would be better for fans and the sport in general if the first round games were hosted by the higher seeded teams.

Yes, but I don't see them moving the first round off NYD. It will be no problem filling the championship game. Semi-final may be challenging.
08-06-2020 02:59 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2020 02:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The compromise might be that if the Rose Bowl is to join the yearly playoff, they keep their timeslot and get first pick of the quarterfinals matches.
08-06-2020 04:50 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

The point of the extra bowls is promotional. Great matchups, great exposure, meaning more ratings and more TV dollars. They absolutely keep the 5th bowl. They will keep a 6th if they can figure out a way to get ratings out of it. Noon NYE isn't working.
08-06-2020 05:04 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
People actually believe 8 team playoff will be considered? Some of the Conf Championships are Dec 20th... and they are going to squeeze in three more weekends after that? I don't care if fans can't travel and tickets don't have to be sold. It is such a fan boy wet dream that only makes realistic people laugh.
08-06-2020 05:36 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-06-2020 05:36 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  People actually believe 8 team playoff will be considered? Some of the Conf Championships are Dec 20th... and they are going to squeeze in three more weekends after that? I don't care if fans can't travel and tickets don't have to be sold. It is such a fan boy wet dream that only makes realistic people laugh.

Other way around. Everyone’s laughing at the guy who managed to misread every post in the thread.
08-06-2020 05:48 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
The Citrus Bowl to replace the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather go to Disney World than the desert.
08-06-2020 06:42 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(08-06-2020 06:42 PM)schmolik Wrote:  The Citrus Bowl to replace the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather go to Disney World than the desert.

Orlando is a nice vacation spot, at least when the alligators are not eating the tourists, but isn't the Citrus Bowl considered a dump when comparing it to other stadiums?

The only NY6 stadium that's a dump and gets a pass for its tradition is the Rose Bowl. All other NY6 stadiums need to be new and shiny or they are out.

Even the clock is ticking on the Super Dome in New Orleans. If they don't keep that up to snuff, you got newer stadiums all over the south that can take over.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2020 07:01 AM by goofus.)
08-07-2020 06:59 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
The Citrus Bowl isn't a dump anymore. The renovation was well done.

The down side: it is located in an old neighborhood. It isn't the worst and I felt safe during the day. Nighttime???

My biggest grip about Orlando is it has horrible traffic but I-4 is being redone and should help. It is expensive to drive around...friggin toll roads everywhere. Finally, Orlando like most boomtowns' feel corporate and artificial to me with all the urban sprawl.
08-07-2020 08:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(08-07-2020 08:04 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The Citrus Bowl isn't a dump anymore. The renovation was well done.

The down side: it is located in an old neighborhood. It isn't the worst and I felt safe during the day. Nighttime???

My biggest grip about Orlando is it has horrible traffic but I-4 is being redone and should help. It is expensive to drive around...friggin toll roads everywhere. Finally, Orlando like most boomtowns' feel corporate and artificial to me with all the urban sprawl.

Isn't the Phoenix area, home to the Fuesta Bowl, also a boomtown? Both metro areas are growing bonkers.
08-07-2020 08:20 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(08-06-2020 06:42 PM)schmolik Wrote:  The Citrus Bowl to replace the Fiesta Bowl. I'd rather go to Disney World than the desert.

Orlando hasn't had any interest. They have been happy with their SEC-Big 10 matchup.
08-07-2020 09:56 AM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(08-07-2020 08:04 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  The Citrus Bowl isn't a dump anymore. The renovation was well done.

Citrus bowl is still a dump, they renovated it years back but they slapped lipstick on a pig. And it's in one of the worst parts of town. So glad UCF doesn't have to play there anymore!
08-07-2020 11:46 AM
Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
WANTS:
No rotation of playoff hosts. Either set them as particular bowls or bid them out.

Incorporate a second tier of games to include all G5 champs... payments for these bowls will be roughly equivalent to the current participation pay the G5 conferences get.

Retire the committee and go back to the post-2003 BCS formula or another more transparent ranking.

Max 3 teams per conference.

Sponsor a Wild Card Game on Champion Saturday between the top two teams not in a CCG. Winner gets an auto bid to the quarterfinals or (if we keep it at 4) becomes semifinal eligible along with the 10 other conference champs.
08-07-2020 01:55 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(08-07-2020 01:55 PM)Crayton Wrote:  Retire the committee and go back to the post-2003 BCS formula or another more transparent ranking.

The committee has its biases and isn't transparent, but the results are the same. In every year of the CFP, the committee has selected the same four teams that the BCS formula would have selected.
08-07-2020 02:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.