Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Will Liberty be able to buy a schedule
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
Will Liberty be able to buy a schedule
With the P5 and some of the G5 having cancelled non-conference games, this presents a number of G5 and select P5 schools with a chance to reassess their FBS schedules. Will a number of schools with limited income listen to Liberty when they come calling offering an obscene amount of guaranteed money to come to Lynchburg or do they hang up?
08-05-2020 03:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
RE: Will Liberty be able to buy a schedule
I don’t think Liberty will be hurt if they don’t play this year. They aren’t losing out on millions in tv revenue if they don’t. They are probably better off cancelling (and citing scheduling problems as the cause) than shelling out and only partially filling a small stadium
08-05-2020 03:07 PM
Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty, UF
As of right now, they've only officially lost 2 games, & all 3 ACC matchups are at their opponents' stadiums, 2 of 3 of which are within hours of them, which means they have a good shot at maintaining them, though they may be played at different times.

3 games are against CUSA (allowing teams to decide how many nonconference games they want to keep), 1 is against Sun Belt (not altering 12-game schedule), 1 is against MAC (undecided on Football as of yet), 1 is against another Independent (UMass), & 1 is against an FCS opponent.

Does a lot remain up the in the air? Yes.

But let's not paint them as desperate until we know what those ACC opponents & UMass are going to do.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 03:31 PM by Keswick_Crusaders_Forever51.)
08-05-2020 03:29 PM
mturn017 Offline
ODU Homer

I Root For: Old Dominion
ODU has lost at least 3 if not all 4 of our OOC games now. We'd likely agree to play an early season game. I stil don't think it's going to happen though. The dominoes will continue to fall until there's officially no CFB this year.
08-05-2020 03:39 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
For the indy's I think a playable season is 7 or 8 games.
Uconn - already packed it in
New Mexico State - down to 8 games scheduled, looks like they signed a game with New Mexico which would bring them to 9. The New Mexico governor is predicted to not allow CFB
Umass - Currently at 9 games, would have 7 games left if the New Mexico schools aren't allowed to play
Liberty - down to 7 games
BYU - down to 6 games, the report as of this morning is that they are essentially begging the MWC to add them for the year, not sure it happens with the bad blood on how they left.
Army - down to 8 games. Cuomo is a wild card but I can't see Army getting shot down by a governor even one as erratic as him.
Notre Dame - safe and sound

BYU has a tv contract to worry about, it'll be interesting to see what they do.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 05:13 PM by MidknightWhiskey.)
08-05-2020 05:07 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(08-05-2020 05:07 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  For the indy's I think a playable season is 7 or 8 games.
New Mexico State - down to 8 games scheduled, looks like they signed a game with New Mexico which would bring them to 9. The New Mexico governor is predicted to not allow CFB
Umass - Currently at 9 games, would have 7 games left if the New Mexico schools aren't allowed to play
BYU - down to 6 games, the report as of this morning is that they are essentially begging the MWC to add them for the year, not sure it happens with the bad blood on how they left.
Army - down to 8 games. Cuomo is a wild card but I can't see Army getting shot down by a governor even one as erratic as him.

NMSU plays UNM every year, they just changed the date of it. No extra game was added for either team.
08-05-2020 05:18 PM
Advertisement

MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2020 05:18 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 05:07 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  For the indy's I think a playable season is 7 or 8 games.

NMSU plays UNM every year, they just changed the date of it. No extra game was added for either team.

Thanks, that's what I get for using FBSchedules as a source.
08-05-2020 05:20 PM
whittx Offline
All American

Liberty will play no matter what. As long as Jerry Jr is around and the online program is swimming in dough, they will play. UMass and NMSU don't have money to throw in.
08-05-2020 05:56 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Let's look:

09/05 - at Virginia Tech Canceled
09/12 - North Carolina A&T Canceled
09/19 - at WKU
09/26 - FIU
10/03 - at Bowling Green
10/10 - ULM
10/17 - at Syracuse Canceled
10/24 - Southern Miss
10/31 - at UConn Canceled
11/14 - Western Carolina
11/21 - at NC State Canceled
11/28 - UMass

WCU is FCS, which makes them very likely to cancel the season, as half the schools in FCS already have.

One has to wonder how many of those other schools on their schedule will fold shop. Dicey proposition.

Who exactly could they buy to play them?
08-05-2020 06:53 PM
whittx Offline
All American

(08-05-2020 06:53 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Let's look:

09/19 - at WKU
09/26 - FIU
10/03 - at Bowling Green
10/10 - ULM
10/24 - Southern Miss
11/14 - Western Carolina
11/28 - UMass

WCU is FCS, which makes them very likely to cancel the season, as half the schools in FCS already have.

One has to wonder how many of those other schools on their schedule will fold shop. Dicey proposition.

A couple CUSA schools, a couple Sun Belt schools, maybe a low level AAC school. Not a pay game per se, but the Va Tech game could be rescheduled.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 07:12 PM by whittx.)
08-05-2020 07:10 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2020 07:10 PM)whittx Wrote:  

09/19 - at WKU
09/26 - FIU
10/03 - at Bowling Green
10/10 - ULM
10/24 - Southern Miss
11/14 - Western Carolina
11/28 - UMass

A couple CUSA schools, a couple Sun Belt schools, maybe a low level AAC school. Not a pay game per se, but the Va Tech game could be rescheduled.

So all in all patch working a season together for them this year with CUSA & Sunbelt teams would end up costing them more than what they were trying to buy their way into CUSA and Sunbelt membership for.
08-05-2020 07:25 PM
Advertisement

whittx Offline
All American

(08-05-2020 07:25 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  

09/19 - at WKU
09/26 - FIU
10/03 - at Bowling Green
10/10 - ULM
10/24 - Southern Miss
11/14 - Western Carolina
11/28 - UMass

So all in all patch working a season together for them this year with CUSA & Sunbelt teams would end up costing them more than what they were trying to buy their way into CUSA and Sunbelt membership for.

Jerry Jr is that pigheaded.
08-05-2020 07:33 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
And where did you read that the Liberty at NC State game was cancelled?
08-05-2020 07:37 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
whittx,

ACC is not playing any OOC games. Their +1 was for their SEC rivals with ND vs Navy as an afterthought. But I think they are all out. Navy will be content with Army and maybe Air Force for their 10th, and the SEC opted to be internal only. So no ACC "+1" will happen.

Reschedule is possible ... for a future year. And I suspect that will happen with many games.

Even the American, in saying you can play OOC games at their member's discretion appears to just be a couple B12 pay dates and a couple hosted games against nearby schools that wont necessarily be cancelled. But mostly it was to allow Navy to play Army, and possibly Air Force or Notre Dame if they want.

CUSA and SBC said they will keep their schedule, in what is an obvious attempt to extract some money from their cancelled pay dates. It is not a serious attempt to play a full schedule or add new games outside of their conference schedule. To add any would mean opening up the Liberty checkbook.

Army is where I'd start. But looking over that list UMass and WCU will probably fall off the schedule, and I wouldn't bet on BGSU happening
08-05-2020 07:39 PM
MidknightWhiskey Offline
Special Teams

(08-05-2020 07:33 PM)whittx Wrote:  
(08-05-2020 07:25 PM)MidknightWhiskey Wrote:  

09/19 - at WKU
09/26 - FIU
10/03 - at Bowling Green
10/10 - ULM
10/24 - Southern Miss
11/14 - Western Carolina
11/28 - UMass

Jerry Jr is that pigheaded.

My point was raise the offer to CUSA or Sunbelt conferences and solve the problem of playing as an indy. If there's a season this year and your indy team doesn't play you might as well drop down to FCS. It's a self imposed death sentence. Ask SMU how easy recovery from that is. And before everyone points to Uconn they already made their decision of football before covid. Scrapping football would save them a ton of money, in 2019 their football program lost them $13.3 mil. They might be the only ones coming out ahead by cancelling football this year.
08-05-2020 07:44 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

(08-05-2020 07:39 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  whittx,

ACC is not playing any OOC games. Their +1 was for their SEC rivals with ND vs Navy as an afterthought. But I think they are all out. Navy will be content with Army and maybe Air Force for their 10th, and the SEC opted to be internal only. So no ACC "+1" will happen.

Reschedule is possible ... for a future year. And I suspect that will happen with many games.

Even the American, in saying you can play OOC games at their member's discretion appears to just be a couple B12 pay dates and a couple hosted games against nearby schools that wont necessarily be cancelled. But mostly it was to allow Navy to play Army, and possibly Air Force or Notre Dame if they want.

CUSA and SBC said they will keep their schedule, in what is an obvious attempt to extract some money from their cancelled pay dates. It is not a serious attempt to play a full schedule or add new games outside of their conference schedule. To add any would mean opening up the Liberty checkbook.

Army is where I'd start. But looking over that list UMass and WCU will probably fall off the schedule, and I wouldn't bet on BGSU happening

Where did you read that ACC schools were not playing an 11th game? I am curious

https://caneswarning.com/2020/08/05/miam...of%202020.

The Miami football program will play their one non-conference game in 2020 against UAB according to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald.
Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald tweeted on Wednesday afternoon that the Miami football program will host UAB in their one allotted non-conference game of 2020. The Hurricanes and Blazers are scheduled to play September 17 at Hard Rock Stadium. The 2020 schedule will be released Thursday at 9 AM.

The full schedule will be known tomorrow when the ACC releases the dates and times at 9 AM ET. Miami previously was scheduled to begin its 2020 season against Temple September 5 at Hard Rock Stadium. The Hurricanes have non-conferenced games scheduled against Temple, Wagner on September 12 and UAB.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 08:53 PM by Statefan.)
08-05-2020 08:50 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Syracuse I think will be playing Liberty this Fall. We'll know tomorrow morning.
08-05-2020 09:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Statefan Offline
Banned

(08-05-2020 09:15 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Syracuse I think will be playing Liberty this Fall. We'll know tomorrow morning.

What I have heard so far is Liberty at State and Syracuse. UAB at Miami. Citadel at Clemson, VMI and UVa, and Samford at FSU.

Essentially the ACC taking care of the SoCon. I guess that could change, but I stlll don't know where Stug heard his info.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 09:25 PM by Statefan.)
08-05-2020 09:19 PM
whittx Offline
All American

So will Va Tech keep the Liberty game or add James Madison or ODU?
08-06-2020 06:16 AM
WesternSkillet Offline
All American

I Root For: LU
LU keeps all three ACC games for the 2020 season.
https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-to-kee...-november/

Sent from my Moto G (4) using CSNbbs mobile app
08-06-2020 08:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.