Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Division II and III fall championships canceled; NCAA bans covid-19 waivers
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
NCAA Division II and III fall championships canceled; NCAA bans covid-19 waivers
This is the first shoe to drop after the NCAA punted the cancel-or-play decision to the council for each division to make on its own.

Here's the Division III announcement.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/med...mpionships
Quote:NCAA Division III championships in fall sports for 2020-21 are canceled. With the health and safety of the division’s student-athletes, coaches, athletics administrators and communities as its priority, the Division III Presidents Council made the decision Wednesday to cancel the championships due to the COVID-19 pandemic and related administrative and financial challenges.

The Board of Governors directed each division to make a decision on its fall sport championships. It also agreed to require all members institutions to apply the resocialization principles to fall sports and set a 50% sponsorship threshold for a fall sport championship to be conducted.

“Looking at the health and safety challenges we face this fall during this unprecedented time, we had to make this tough decision to cancel championships for fall sports this academic year in the best interest of our student-athlete and member institutions,” said Tori Murden McClure, chair of the Presidents Council and president at Spalding. “Our Championships Committee reviewed the financial and logistical ramifications if Division III fall sports championships were conducted in the spring and found it was logistically untenable and financially prohibitive. Our Management Council reached the same conclusion. Moving forward, we will try to maximize the championships experience for our winter and spring sport student-athletes, who unfortunately were short-changed last academic year.”
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 05:27 PM by Wedge.)
08-05-2020 02:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

RE: NCAA Division II and III fall championships have been canceled
Division II followed suit a few hours later.

08-05-2020 05:23 PM
Wedge Offline

RE: NCAA Division II and III fall championships have been canceled
NCAA announced today that member schools are not permitted to require waivers of athletes as a condition of participation.

[Image: Eeq5Sn0WkAI-NsY?format=jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2020 05:26 PM by Wedge.)
08-05-2020 05:25 PM
HiddenDragon Offline
Banned

I Root For:
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: NCAA Division II and III fall championships canceled; NCAA bans covid-19 waivers
(08-05-2020 05:25 PM)Wedge Wrote:  NCAA announced today that member schools are not permitted to require waivers of athletes as a condition of participation.

[Image: Eeq5Sn0WkAI-NsY?format=jpg]

Well that answers that!
08-05-2020 05:28 PM
Advertisement

teamvsn Online
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
RE: NCAA Division II and III fall championships canceled; NCAA bans covid-19 waivers
Last week the NAIA postponed most of their Fall championships until the Spring:
https://www.naia.org/general/2020-21/rel..._7_28_2020

and then on Friday added Football to the list:
https://www.naia.org/sports/fball/2020-2...stponement

Conferences are still free to play in the Fall. I think it's running about 50/50 at this point. Some still haven't announced their plans.
08-05-2020 05:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Over half Division III conferences had already cancelled. I imagine almost all the rest will now.
08-05-2020 06:17 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
FCS next
08-05-2020 06:26 PM
Advertisement

jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Tarleton State is thanking the lord they just left Division 2, for now. St.Thomas volleyball is going to be in for a shock in 2021 when they jump from contests with Wisconsin-Whitewater directly to contests with Wisconsin-Madison.
08-05-2020 06:39 PM
Hammersmith Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NDSU
(08-05-2020 06:26 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  FCS next

For the moment, FCS is still a go. Currently sitting at 63% of schools still planning to play. But if even one more conference decides to call it a day, that will probably be it.
08-05-2020 07:25 PM
TDenverFan Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
(08-05-2020 07:25 PM)Hammersmith Wrote:  

For the moment, FCS is still a go. Currently sitting at 63% of schools still planning to play. But if even one more conference decides to call it a day, that will probably be it.

63% but probably a much higher proportion of playoff schools.

NEC and Patriot are one bid, Ivy doesn't compete, SWAC and MEAC rarely do.

CAA is the only "big" one that cancelled, and a few of the teams are still planning to play.
08-05-2020 07:30 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports/...00731.html

“"...One of the [MAC] athletic directors estimated that for one Saturday football game, if you had 80 players, 20 staff, you’d need 100 tests, $55 a test, $5,500 for one game,” Duda said. “Just for football, it would take $50,000 just to complete the season. And I don’t think there were any of us on the call that said, ‘Yes, we can have all the tests back in 72 hours.’ ”

For quicker tests, Duda said, the price skyrockets. And at higher levels, doing substantially more tests, with quicker results required … the costs get to be eye-popping.

“It was discussed among the presidents,” Ursinus president Brock Blomberg. “We talked about what some D1 programs were estimating their costs to be. At least one D1 president mentioned to our group — I think the figure was between $3 and $6 million dollars just for football...."”
08-05-2020 07:47 PM
Wedge Offline

Right -- the NCAA announcement says, "If 50% or more of eligible teams in a particular sport in a division cancel their fall season, there will be no fall NCAA championship in that sport in that division."

Presumably teams at schools that are transitioning into D-I and not yet eligible for NCAA championships don't count. A writer for an FCS website said on Twitter that by his count, the number of "eligible teams" for FCS is 111. That would mean you need 56 FCS teams playing football this fall to have an NCAA tournament.
08-05-2020 08:05 PM
HatterFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Stetson
(08-05-2020 08:05 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

Right -- the NCAA announcement says, "If 50% or more of eligible teams in a particular sport in a division cancel their fall season, there will be no fall NCAA championship in that sport in that division."

Presumably teams at schools that are transitioning into D-I and not yet eligible for NCAA championships don't count. A writer for an FCS website said on Twitter that by his count, the number of "eligible teams" for FCS is 111. That would mean you need 56 FCS teams playing football this fall to have an NCAA tournament.

hmmm, interesting, maybe that's why the PFL is straddling the fence, especially given their quasi-incestuous ties to the MVFC at the conference office level. They don't want to be the ones to ruin it for everybody.
08-06-2020 08:16 AM
Advertisement

MU88 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-05-2020 06:39 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Tarleton State is thanking the lord they just left Division 2, for now. St.Thomas volleyball is going to be in for a shock in 2021 when they jump from contests with Wisconsin-Whitewater directly to contests with Wisconsin-Madison.

No shock. Most of the girls on St. Thomas probably have played against or even with comparable girls to those at Madison. The girls have probably all played against each other before (select girls play all around their geographical region and attend national tournaments). The major difference between D-1 and D-3 is size.

By way of example, my daughter is a great athlete. Volleyball is her second sport. She has been regularly invited to USA Volleyball camps and is on various recruiting lists. She plays with and against D-1 athletes all the time. Clearly, she would not be overwhelmed by playing against a D-1 team. However, she is only 5-4. She isn't getting a sniff by D-1 schools, even though she is a back row player. That said, she could definitely play D-3. Luckily, she will probably have an opportunity to play D-1 in another sport. But, she is looking for an Ivy-league type school. So, she is still considering playing D-3 volleyball if she isn't offered by a top academic D-1 school for her primary sport, but gets an offer to play at Cal Tech, Chicago, Wash U for volleyball.

Basketball is probably the closest comparison, but it is not apples to apples. Size is a huge factor in bball, but the biggest difference is lateral speed. D-1 bball players are so much quicker than D-3 players. But, when you watch preseason scrimmages, you see a lot of the top D-3 schools hanging with D-1 schools. The skill levels can be pretty close. In fact, many D-3 teams shoot better and move the ball better than their D-1 counterparts. However, the difference in size and quickness becomes evident as the game progresses. In volleyball, the difference is pretty much size. The smaller hitters and middles at D-3 school often are better athletes than their D-1 opponents, but are simply 5-6 inches shorter.
08-06-2020 11:04 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
NJCAA and the California JCs pushed to the spring first.
08-07-2020 11:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.