Ruffin McNeil was hard to wrap my head around

I’ll throw in Mangino at Kansas as well
08-01-2020 12:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Worst Coach Firings of Last 15 Years
I think if you let a coach that's just okay hang around too long you can do more damage to a program than having an awful coach for a season or 2. I can't blame a team for moving on from those guys if they make a smart hire on paper. I think McNeil and Pelini are examples of guys that ECU and Nebraska probably needed to move on from.

With guys like Fulmer and Coker, I think both programs have had enough coaches since those guys left that their problems are beyond coaching. It's not like either of them were fired for one down season, either. They were both given fair chances.

Now Ralph Friedgen and Cristobal seem to me like they were just political firings. Don't have any good explanation for those.
08-01-2020 12:30 PM
Shox Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wichita State
Ruffin, Mangino, Fulmer and Leach in no particular order. It destroyed the KU and Tennessee programs and set the others back a decade. Friedgen is honorable mention.
08-01-2020 12:33 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
A lot of times an AD makes a bad firing worse by bringing in a hasty replacement.

The Jagodzinski firing seems like a good example of that.
08-01-2020 01:40 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
I still can’t believe Jeff Jagodzinski got fired, after taking Boston College to the ACC Title Game in both years he coached, including an AP Top-10 finish.
08-01-2020 01:51 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
Firing Jagodzinski for insubordination was the correct decision. He's essentially blackballed himself. He lost his job with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers before the season started due because of "attention to detail issues" in 2009.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jagodzinski-fir...5d8125874f
I assume he has a new agent, but in the last decade, he seems not to work well with anybody. Gene DeFilippio got it right
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 03:10 PM by Renandpat.)
08-01-2020 02:44 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Depending on what you believe - resigned or was forced out by the Texas President - Mack Brown was the last time Texas was considered a consistent national power. He's not doing too shabby these days at UNC either. Consider under Brown Texas...

158-48 [.767]
10-5 Bowls
2 B12 Conference Chips
1 BCS National Chip [2005]
12 Consecutive Winning Seasons [15 of 16 overall]
9 Consecutive Double Digit Winning Seasons
12 Consecutive Final AP Poll Rankings [13 of 16 overall]

Consider the 6 seasons since Brown left Texas....

41-36 [.532]
3-1 Bowls
3 Consecutive Winning Seasons
1 Double Digit Winning Season
2 Consecutive Final AP Poll Rankings

I will recognize that Tom Herman still has a chance to turn Texas back to a national power but the clock is ticking for him fair or not.

I agree with Tennessee. They have absolutely crapped the bed since Fulmer was let go. I get some of the others mentioned but when you are considered a blue blood program you have to get it right more than the mid-tier schools.
08-01-2020 02:52 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-01-2020 02:52 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Depending on what you believe - resigned or was forced out by the Texas President - Mack Brown was the last time Texas was considered a consistent national power. He's not doing too shabby these days at UNC either. Consider under Brown Texas...

I can't really blame Texas for parting ways with Mack. Yes, Mack was great at Texas and yes, Texas hasn't been good since he left, but .... Mack just appeared to run out of gas at Texas. The last few years they slipped to mediocrity and he just didn't seem to have the energy level anymore. That can happen after 16 years in a pressure-cooker job. IMO he was pretty spent.

I think the evidence for this is that Brown didn't move to another head coaching job, rather he just relaxed and became a highly paid consultant to the Horns. That time off allowed him to return to UNC with some old energy, but let's face it - the Heels went 7-6 not 11-2, and Mack is 68 and not getting any younger. Looks more like 73 so you have to wonder how much gas he has left in the tank.

So IMO it was a good time for them to part ways.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 03:39 PM by quo vadis.)
08-01-2020 03:36 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Dave Wannstedt at Pitt was a head-scratcher then and now.
08-01-2020 04:02 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Mike Leach's firing was based on the Adam James incident(s). Whether that was justified or not depends on who you ask. Then again after calling his Washington State players fat, dumb, and entitled it tells you about his character. I don't know what Mississippi State was thinking hiring him after he made those comments.
08-01-2020 04:23 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(08-01-2020 03:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 02:52 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Depending on what you believe - resigned or was forced out by the Texas President - Mack Brown was the last time Texas was considered a consistent national power. He's not doing too shabby these days at UNC either. Consider under Brown Texas...

I can't really blame Texas for parting ways with Mack. Yes, Mack was great at Texas and yes, Texas hasn't been good since he left, but .... Mack just appeared to run out of gas at Texas. The last few years they slipped to mediocrity and he just didn't seem to have the energy level anymore. That can happen after 16 years in a pressure-cooker job. IMO he was pretty spent.

I think the evidence for this is that Brown didn't move to another head coaching job, rather he just relaxed and became a highly paid consultant to the Horns. That time off allowed him to return to UNC with some old energy, but let's face it - the Heels went 7-6 not 11-2, and Mack is 68 and not getting any younger. Looks more like 73 so you have to wonder how much gas he has left in the tank.

I understand your perspective but I was addressing more the impact after the coach left vs. the specific reasons why he left. A couple of points...Mack took a heels team that was 2-9 the previous season and finished 7-6 with a bowl win in his first year at the helm. He was within a few close losses to finishing with a better record [see the blown Clemson loss 20-21]. UNC also hadn't been to a bowl since 2016 nor won a bowl since 2013. I'd say that was a pretty successful season at 7-6. BTW, have you seen his incoming recruiting class?

I'm not sure what the point of his taking an extended break has to do with anything with regard to what Texas has done since his departure. I get that his was more than most but do you know of other high profile coaches that have taken some time off before getting back on the saddle?

If you compare Brown to Fulmer they are quite similar in their respective tenures at Texas and Tennessee. Brown coached for 16 seasons, Fulmer for 17. Both had similar incredibly successful winning percentages and each won one national chip and two conference chips. Fulmer was let go after the 2008 5-7 campaign but that followed the 2007 season when he finished 10-4, won the Outback Bowl and finished in the final AP Poll #12. Brown moved on from Texas after finishing 8-5 in 2013 and a loss in the Alamo Bowl. That followed the 2012 season when he finished 9-4, won the Alamo Bowl and finished in the final AP Poll #19.

I will admit that the loss impact from the two coaches is most notable in Tennessee. However, more time has passed in Knoxville and there's still time for Texas to muck it up.
08-01-2020 04:29 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(08-01-2020 04:29 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 03:36 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I understand your perspective but I was addressing more the impact after the coach left vs. the specific reasons why he left.

Well, the "why he left" was pretty much the whole point of the thread. It's not merely about teams that fell off after a good coach left, it's about teams that fell off after forcing out or firing a good coach. So i responded in those terms.
08-01-2020 04:34 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Dave Wannstedt at Pitt was a head-scratcher then and now.
08-01-2020 04:56 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(08-01-2020 04:34 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Well, the "why he left" was pretty much the whole point of the thread. It's not merely about teams that fell off after a good coach left, it's about teams that fell off after forcing out or firing a good coach. So i responded in those terms.

I stated as such. Officially he resigned. Many believe he was forced out behind the scenes which is typical for a long time, respected coach. What's the difference in terms of the thread? Consider...

Quote:As of Saturday morning, Dec. 14, Mack Brown was going to be the Texas football coach in 2014. It had not been announced, but the decision had been made. Brown held a breakfast for recruits who were in town on official visits, and new athletic director Steve Patterson dropped by the breakfast to visit with the prospects.

Afterward, Brown and Patterson spent hours discussing the future of the program, potential improvements in the athletic department and other aspects of their working relationship going forward.

About an hour after that meeting ended, Brown got a call from Patterson, according to a source with intimate knowledge of the situation. The tone was completely different from the upbeat meeting that had just occurred.

"I've got to come over [to the football offices]," Patterson said.

The source told Yahoo Sports that Patterson arrived at the football building with a jarring change of heart for Brown: You need to resign. That was the decision of University of Texas president Bill Powers, and Patterson was the apologetic messenger. The source said Powers, a longtime friend and supporter of the football coach, abruptly yanked the rug out from beneath Brown after supporting his continued tenure the previous two days.

Thus the 16-year Mack Brown Era at Texas was terminated not by the coach himself, but at the insistence of an embattled school president. Although the school's official release and every public statement has said Brown decided on his own to step down, he was pushed – after being told the decision was his.

Mack Forced Out
08-01-2020 05:48 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(08-01-2020 04:02 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Dave Wannstedt at Pitt was a head-scratcher then and now.

Dave Wannstedt went 15-6 in conference his last 3 years and got fired. He’s a good coach.
08-01-2020 06:40 PM
Advertisement

Realigned Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big 12
Another vote for Mangino. He had KU at a consistent 5-7 wins a year. The AD make a run at hiring Jim Harbaugh which certainly would have been an upgrade, but that never happened. The result was decade of disfunction. Never more than three wins a year. Never more than one conference win in a season and only six conference win during the entire decade. No way, Mangino let’s KU fall to this level.
08-01-2020 07:02 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
(08-01-2020 07:02 PM)Realigned Wrote:  Another vote for Mangino. He had KU at a consistent 5-7 wins a year. The AD make a run at hiring Jim Harbaugh which certainly would have been an upgrade, but that never happened. The result was decade of disfunction. Never more than three wins a year. Never more than one conference win in a season and only six conference win during the entire decade. No way, Mangino let’s KU fall to this level.

If I recall correctly there was some player misconduct allegations at the time (not sure if they had any meat to them), depending how serious those were his firing may have been semi-justified even if the Jayhawks fell off a cliff on the field since then. Part of KU's issues since then have to do with Snyder's return imo, Mangino probably benefited quite a bit from Ron Prince flopping at K-State but subsequent coaches haven't had such light in-state competition.

Terry Bowden at Akron is a good example in the MAC, bad firings rarely happen there since usually you either do well enough to get a better job or bad enough to deserve getting canned. After a three-year stretch with a winning record, two bowls, and MAC East title at a program that was an absolute mess when he was hired he fell to 4-8 in 2018 (although they beat Northwestern early that year); they fired him and his replacement just had a winless season.

Purdue is doing okay under Jeff Brohm, but getting rid of Danny Hope after two bowls just to replace him with Darrell Hazell was a big mistake as well.
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2020 01:09 PM by Love and Honor.)
08-01-2020 11:08 PM
Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
Pelini had to go. The team was getting blown out regularly under him and he was fostering a really poisonous culture for the program. He seemed to think it was the fans' and press's fault that they were letting Wisconsin rewrite their record books against them every year.

(08-01-2020 12:24 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Ruffin McNeil was hard to wrap my head around

Mangino was a complete piece of crap. He wasn't even the Bob Knight type where he was trying to pressure the kids into being better, he just abused the hell out of them. There's a reason he hasn't done anything but whine on Twitter since getting shown the door.
08-02-2020 12:18 AM
Realigned Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Big 12
(08-02-2020 12:18 AM)Mav Wrote:  Pelini had to go. The team was getting blown out regularly under him and he was fostering a really poisonous culture for the program. He seemed to think it was the fans' and press's fault that they were letting Wisconsin rewrite their record books against them every year.

(08-01-2020 12:24 PM)Gamecock Wrote:  Ruffin McNeil was hard to wrap my head around

Mangino was a complete piece of crap. He wasn't even the Bob Knight type where he was trying to pressure the kids into being better, he just abused the hell out of them. There's a reason he hasn't done anything but whine on Twitter since getting shown the door.

Regardless of his style, the point of this thread focuses on the impact after a particular coach is fired and KU had one of the worst decades in college football history after Mangino was let go.
08-02-2020 10:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.