Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
RE: Violence at protests
(07-31-2020 09:37 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  black man stabbed

Presented without comment.

Isn't not commenting on something a comment unto itself? Makes me think of Justin Trudeau's response when asked about Trump/the USA a few months ago03-lmfao

Stabbing people is bad under 99.999999999% of circumstances, so I think we can stand in unison on this one.
07-31-2020 09:53 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
That headline had me feeling down, but the article adds a few silver linings - the guy who was stabbed received treatment right away from the "Antifa medics," the criminal who stabbed him was arrested at the scene and is being charged, and apparently protesters stood up for the victim and immediately confronted the attacker.

Quote:He said he knew he was injured and was treated by “Antifa medics” at the scene. These “medics” dress in red, long-sleeve shirts. Seattle’s CHOP also reportedly had its own security and medical response teams.

The paper, citing court records, reported that Blake David Hampe, 43, was arrested at the scene. Hampe allegedly told police that Duncomb tried to choke him, the report said. He faces charges of second-degree assault and is still in jail, the report said.

Duncomb said that his attacker was confronted by protesters at the scene.

A single individual can do a lot of evil, and it's good to know there were a number of good individuals at the protest, ready to do the right thing by tending to the victim and making sure the attacker was apprehended.
07-31-2020 10:51 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(07-31-2020 09:53 AM)mrbig Wrote:  

Isn't not commenting on something a comment unto itself?

yes, it is, which is the point the right wingers have making about the silence of various people regarding the violence in these "protests".

In this particular case, though, I just don't know the new rules yet and wanted to play it safe from being reported.
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2020 12:17 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
07-31-2020 11:45 AM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Last week, during a non-violent Portland solidarity march in Austin, one person was shot and killed.

Today the shooter was identified:

[Image: perry_twitter-e1596160920382.jpg]
07-31-2020 03:57 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-31-2020 03:57 PM)At Ease Wrote:  Last week, during a non-violent Portland solidarity march in Austin, one person was shot and killed.

Today the shooter was identified:

[Image: perry_twitter-e1596160920382.jpg]

My guess is those tweets are from the guy who shot and killed the Austin protestor?
07-31-2020 06:49 PM
Advertisement

At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
Yes,

Quote:AUSTIN (KXAN) — The man who says he shot and killed Austin protester Garrett Foster revealed his identity late Thursday night in an email from his attorney to KXAN. The email identified that shooter as Daniel Perry.

Austin police have not yet confirmed Perry or anyone else as a suspect in the shooting.

Perry’s attorney says the shooting was in self defense.

https://www.kxan.com/austin-george-floyd...rney-says/
07-31-2020 07:50 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Quote:The more reading I've done on this, suggests that is a load, given that DHS/FPS threw him into a van and transported him somewhere else (which is basically an arrest).

Umm, not exactly. If they determine that he is a potential treat, they may remove him to a different place without arresting.
07-31-2020 08:17 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I guess I can comment now.

The thread has wandered in places, but nobody has remarked on the irony of a BLM white protester shanking a black conservative journalist.

Suggests maybe he was stabbed more for his politics than his race.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 10:16 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
08-01-2020 10:03 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-01-2020 10:03 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

The thread has wandered in places, but nobody has remarked on the irony of a BLM white protester shanking a black conservative journalist.

My off the cuff impression is that Hampe (the stabber who was arrested) was less likely there as part of BLM, and more likely there as part of the rioting/Antifa wing. It’s almost certain that he was stabbed for his politics, and not his race.

I do find it interesting that this is your focus though, which is pretty much set on finding the negative outcomes from the action of a single individual, and not on how the group you’re racking those actions to actually responded as a whole. I find it far more telling that Hampe was basically attacked by the protestors and the literally dragged to the police so he could be arrested. It’s also far more telling that Duncomb (the man who was stabbed) was immediately attended to when he was stabbed.

Hampe is getting what he deserves - a criminal trial and likely some serious time in jail.
08-01-2020 10:34 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(07-31-2020 10:51 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  That headline had me feeling down, but the article adds a few silver linings - the guy who was stabbed received treatment right away from the "Antifa medics," the criminal who stabbed him was arrested at the scene and is being charged, and apparently protesters stood up for the victim and immediately confronted the attacker.

Quote:He said he knew he was injured and was treated by “Antifa medics” at the scene. These “medics” dress in red, long-sleeve shirts. Seattle’s CHOP also reportedly had its own security and medical response teams.

The paper, citing court records, reported that Blake David Hampe, 43, was arrested at the scene. Hampe allegedly told police that Duncomb tried to choke him, the report said. He faces charges of second-degree assault and is still in jail, the report said.

A single individual can do a lot of evil, and it's good to know there were a number of good individuals at the protest, ready to do the right thing by tending to the victim and making sure the attacker was apprehended.

Since the issue is 'violence at protests', this struck me as well

Compare this to Portland.... where nobody tended to the victims (Federal employees) nor made sure the attackers were apprehended....

What you have here is the fine line between mob vigilanties and citizens arrests.

Let me make sure I'm clear... Had the people throwing molotovs and shooting incendiary devices into public property and at the people charged with keeping the peace, been similarly discouraged by the peaceful protestors... been detained or restrained by the peaceful protestors... been eagerly identified by the peaceful protestors as 'not part of their group' so that police (the generic term... law officials at whatever level) could know whom to arrest.... I think the Federal response would have been much different.

Instead the 'peaceful protesters' gave the very clear indication that they not only were not against those actions, but they supported them, and the people who did them.

We have another thread about the responsibility of the police to 'do better', and you fairly routinely have commented when 'the people' do as well... but while I certainly wouldn't think you'd applaud people who helped hide gang members and drug dealers, you certainly have ignored that when the police can't trust the people not to support criminals... that the people's rights get somewhat less regard... they are aiding and abetting criminals.

I don't expect peaceful protestors to physically stop armed rioters.... but I do expect them to physically distance themselves from them when it happens... even at the risk of interrupting their peaceful protest. I also expect them to help police, even if they are protesting the police, in identifying, capturing and prosecuting those people.

I mean, we've got people suggesting that the perpetrators were undercover klansmen trying to start a race war.... so why weren't these peaceful protestors quite literally rushing to help the police uncover them?

I get that the enemy of my enemy is my friend on some levels... Right-Wing Anarchists want to defund the police as well... Racists often claim the police protect minorities... especially minority police...

but once violence breaks out... especially when the obvious reaction to an escalation from one side is an escalation from the other... that 'friendship' ends, or you have joined it.

Right wing anarchists and racists may post lying/misleading videos about Biden or whatever... and I will simply ignore them... if they start beating up Democrats or posing as Democrats and beating up cops... I'll be the first in line to condemn their actions and help put them in jail if I can.

I want the cops to be better... I can help the cops be better. Citizens defending or hiding criminals makes cops jobs harder, and they're going to do worse things when that happens in order to bring criminals to justice. The alternative of simply letting those people go is not what ANY just society is about.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 11:11 AM by Hambone10.)
08-01-2020 11:06 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(08-01-2020 10:34 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

My off the cuff impression is that Hampe (the stabber who was arrested) was less likely there as part of BLM, and more likely there as part of the rioting/Antifa wing. It’s almost certain that he was stabbed for his politics, and not his race.

I do find it interesting that this is your focus though, which is pretty much set on finding the negative outcomes from the action of a single individual, and not on how the group you’re racking those actions to actually responded as a whole. I find it far more telling that Hampe was basically attacked by the protestors and the literally dragged to the police so he could be arrested. It’s also far more telling that Duncomb (the man who was stabbed) was immediately attended to when he was stabbed.

Hampe is getting what he deserves - a criminal trial and likely some serious time in jail.

Set on finding the negative outcomes of a single individual? May I remind of the genesis of all this unrest - a single cop in Minneapolis exceeding the limits?

I find your focus, that of excusing everything as the actions of lone wolves and tiny minorities, equally suspect.

I just thought it was ironic the races were reversed from the usual narrative. Had it been a black protester stabbing a white conservative journalist, this likely would not been reported at all, and we could keep on talking about the peaceful protesters.
08-01-2020 11:33 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(08-01-2020 10:34 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Wow, this is rich!

When a non-white person suffers harm, the grievance industry is usually quick to argue that it is NECESSARILY because of race, and that anyone who suggest otherwise is guilty of "privilege", of not being "woke", of being insufficiently "anti-racist", or some other sin against the left's religion. Heck, from 2009-2017 it was claimed that if a white person even DISAGREES with a black politician, it is because of race. In 2018 the grievance establishment and its followers tripped over themselves insisting that when a Hispanic tennis umpire penalized a black player for obvious rule violations, that too was because of race. But now it seems that when the perpetrator is himself a card-carrying foot soldier of the grievance industry, we are asked to believe that race did not -- could not -- have anything to do with his violence toward a black man.

(08-01-2020 10:34 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I do find it interesting that this is your focus though, which is pretty much set on finding the negative outcomes from the action of a single individual, and not on how the group you’re racking those actions to actually responded as a whole.

Funny, the whole premise of the protests is that when a black person suffers harm, it is not attributable merely to the bad apple who did the harm, but is necessarily a "systemic" failure that requires sweeping action against vast swaths of the republic. The climate of hot-headedness inherent in mob action certainly seems like exactly the sort of "systemic" condition that makes a stabbing more likely. Where are the calls to "defund" protest organizations, to demand anti-violence agendas, to appoint vice presidents for non-violence and peacefulness, and so on?

(08-01-2020 10:34 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  I find it far more telling that Hampe was basically attacked by the protestors and the literally dragged to the police so he could be arrested. It’s also far more telling that Duncomb (the man who was stabbed) was immediately attended to when he was stabbed.

Funny, that's exactly what the policeman who killed George Floyd is getting -- yet again, the whole premise of the grievance industry is that such punishment is not merely insufficient, but virtually irrelevant.
08-01-2020 11:35 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-01-2020 11:06 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(07-31-2020 10:51 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  That headline had me feeling down, but the article adds a few silver linings - the guy who was stabbed received treatment right away from the "Antifa medics," the criminal who stabbed him was arrested at the scene and is being charged, and apparently protesters stood up for the victim and immediately confronted the attacker.

Compare this to Portland.... where nobody tended to the victims (Federal employees) nor made sure the attackers were apprehended....

What you have here is the fine line between mob vigilanties and citizens arrests.

Let me make sure I'm clear... Had the people throwing molotovs and shooting incendiary devices into public property and at the people charged with keeping the peace, been similarly discouraged by the peaceful protestors... been detained or restrained by the peaceful protestors... been eagerly identified by the peaceful protestors as 'not part of their group' so that police (the generic term... law officials at whatever level) could know whom to arrest.... I think the Federal response would have been much different.

Instead the 'peaceful protesters' gave the very clear indication that they not only were not against those actions, but they supported them, and the people who did them.

We have another thread about the responsibility of the police to 'do better', and you fairly routinely have commented when 'the people' do as well... but while I certainly wouldn't think you'd applaud people who helped hide gang members and drug dealers, you certainly have ignored that when the police can't trust the people not to support criminals... that the people's rights get somewhat less regard... they are aiding and abetting criminals.

I don't expect peaceful protestors to physically stop armed rioters.... but I do expect them to physically distance themselves from them when it happens... even at the risk of interrupting their peaceful protest. I also expect them to help police, even if they are protesting the police, in identifying, capturing and prosecuting those people.

I mean, we've got people suggesting that the perpetrators were undercover klansmen trying to start a race war.... so why weren't these peaceful protestors quite literally rushing to help the police uncover them?

I get that the enemy of my enemy is my friend on some levels... Right-Wing Anarchists want to defund the police as well... Racists often claim the police protect minorities... especially minority police...

but once violence breaks out... especially when the obvious reaction to an escalation from one side is an escalation from the other... that 'friendship' ends, or you have joined it.

Right wing anarchists and racists may post lying/misleading videos about Biden or whatever... and I will simply ignore them... if they start beating up Democrats or posing as Democrats and beating up cops... I'll be the first in line to condemn their actions and help put them in jail if I can.

I want the cops to be better... I can help the cops be better. Citizens defending or hiding criminals makes cops jobs harder, and they're going to do worse things when that happens in order to bring criminals to justice. The alternative of simply letting those people go is not what ANY just society is about.

Ham, when you say compare this to Portland, you do know that this instance was in Portland, right?

But maybe this is why these threads get out of hand - I applauded the fact that members of the protest quickly aided this man who opposed their ideas and brought the stabber to justice, and look at the reactions from the conservative posters...
08-01-2020 11:52 AM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-01-2020 11:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

Ham, when you say compare this to Portland, you do know that this instance was in Portland, right?

But maybe this is why these threads get out of hand - I applauded the fact that members of the protest quickly aided this man who opposed their ideas and brought the stabber to justice, and look at the reactions from the conservative posters...

No one has criticized what you applauded. Noting the irony (how could anyone miss it?) of your applauding it hardly constitutes "getting out of hand".
08-01-2020 11:58 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-01-2020 11:58 AM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 11:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

No one has criticized what you applauded. Noting the irony (how could anyone miss it?) of your applauding it hardly constitutes "getting out of hand".

You just started each of your responses with the word “funny” or comment “this is rich!”

If you only offer commentary of the situation that notes the irony, without acknowledging the positives, how else is one supposed to take such a post as anything but a criticism? It wasn’t that I missed that you were trying to point out irony, it’s that your only contribution was that commentary, which is clearly a criticism.
08-01-2020 12:14 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

(08-01-2020 12:14 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  If you only offer commentary of the situation that notes the irony...

The irony is the most notable part of your post! The fact that you approve of the prosecution of assailants is not -- or should not -- be noteworthy.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 01:02 PM by georgewebb.)
08-01-2020 01:00 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(08-01-2020 11:52 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  Ham, when you say compare this to Portland, you do know that this instance was in Portland, right?

Clearly I meant the riots in Portland that were the topic of conversation for weeks. No, I didn't know where this happened because it didn't matter to my response.... I was responding to your 'praise' of the actions of these people.... now that I know, it actually makes if vastly worse. I'm not just talking about different reactions, but I'm talking about different reactions by the same (formal) groups.

Where were those people last time? Had they been there and done this back then, NONE of this happens.

One could easily argue that this proves the Feds actions worked. I don't believe that, but it's just as plausible to me as 'the Feds actions made things worse'.

Quote:But maybe this is why these threads get out of hand - I applauded the fact that members of the protest quickly aided this man who opposed their ideas and brought the stabber to justice, and look at the reactions from the conservative posters...

Because of the clear inconsistency in your position, Lad. You blamed the instigator and praised the reaction when it suits you; you've blamed the reaction and ignored the instigator when it doesn't..... and then accuse 'the other side' of partisanship when they focus on the clear inconsistency. Maybe it's simply because most of us expect law abiding citizens to work 'in favor of' the rule of law, and not in direct defiance of it? It's like applauding people who hold doors open today, and ignoring that they stood before them yesterday with guns.

I'm fairly aggressively supporting the peaceful goals of these groups... because I don't remotely see the solution as political. The police in liberal cities act exactly the same as people in conservative cities... criminals too. George Floyd was killed by a very liberal city/police force. I wholly reject the idea that 'enforcing laws' is a systemic act of racism... not that it never has... but that 'as a system' it cannot help it. Being black doesn't cause criminal acts. Being poor does.

I absolutely believe that when 'the people' act in a way that is supportive of the rule of law (as happened here) that we get better outcomes than we do when 'the people' act in a way that is not supportive, and when we act in a way that is a barrier to the rule of law (the Portland Riots), then we have chosen lawlessness over law. Had 'this' happened 'then', NONE of the things you are upset about, happen. NOT ONE of them. That's not a political belief, it's a demonstrable fact. It's also a fact that when you have numbers, you need less force. When you don't, you need more. Had the locals even just decried, much less identified the criminal actors, the feds likely have a very different reaction.

This becomes political because it was always intended to be political. For the people who are rioting, this isn't about solutions.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 01:16 PM by Hambone10.)
08-01-2020 01:10 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
Interesting presentation.

I would hope some of our resident leftists would watch. Interesting that it has already been pulled down twice from youtube.

(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020 02:41 PM by tanqtonic.)
08-01-2020 02:40 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-01-2020 01:00 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(08-01-2020 12:14 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  If you only offer commentary of the situation that notes the irony...

The irony is the most notable part of your post! The fact that you approve of the prosecution of assailants is not -- or should not -- be noteworthy.

You may have missed the point of my post then. The point was how quickly the guy was treated and protected by the protestors/rioters, even if the violence was done by someone who was partaking in the protest/riots.

If this was truly an unruly mob doling out violence towards police and conservatives, this guy would have been left for dead. But that didn’t happen, which seems to be noteworthy.
08-01-2020 03:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.