Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bo Knew
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Bo Knew
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 02:55 PM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
07-30-2020 02:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: Bo Knew
Quote:The accuser, identified as John Doe EB-17, worked as a play-by-play announcer for football games during his time at the University of Michigan in the early 1980s. In a lawsuit filed in federal court Thursday morning, John Doe EB-17 said he told Schembechler directly on two separate occasions that Anderson, who died in 2008, sexually abused him during an appointment to treat severe headaches.

Schembechler instructed Doe to tell then-athletic director Don Canham, but Canham took no action, according to the lawsuit.

Doe said at a news conference Thursday morning that Schembechler told him immediately to tell Canham. Doe said he does not hold Schembechler responsible for remaining silent. "I cannot blame Bo for not being able to come forward," he said. "...This was Don Canham's job."
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...knew-abuse
07-30-2020 03:17 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Well, a better title for the thread would be "someone claims Bo knew".

07-coffee3
07-30-2020 03:43 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

06-09-2021 05:39 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(07-30-2020 03:43 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Well, a better title for the thread would be "someone claims Bo knew".

07-coffee3

I was going to point that out but then the ad campaign wasn't "someone claims Bo knows football" etc. so artistic license
06-09-2021 06:01 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Bo Knew
Bo’s statue sure to be coming down any time now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
06-09-2021 08:56 PM
Advertisement

Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
The university's report has interviews with 300 former student and student-athletes, 90% of whom were male. In short, whatever you went in for, male or female, he made you drop your pants and were given a hernia exam, prostate exam, or pelvic exam for pregnancy. While the doctor left the student health center in 1980, he continued as the athletic department physician while continuing as a doctor within the university's heath system in addition to being a physician approved by the FAA to give pilots their needed physicals too.

Overall, the law firm heard from 600 people but they only interviewed 300 due to various reasons: pending litigation, a court order stopped interviews for six weeks and some people declined when interviews resumed.

In 1975, a wrestler wrote his coach about being told to "drop and cough" five times for shoulder injuries and cold sores. His coach wrote back and later revoked his scholarship which he got back via appeal. So the wrestling coach is the first athletic department person to know. On the academic side, a VP knew as far back as 1979 of the doctor's behavior.

The UM Regents page has the report. Just read the first 70 pages as that's the report, the other 150 pages is the appendices.
06-10-2021 09:21 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

https://www.si.com/college/2021/06/10/bo...xual-abuse

Quote: Matt alleges that Anderson molested him when he was 10 years old, saying Anderson fondled him and did an "anal probe" when he saw the doctor for a sports physical. When he told his father about the incident, Matt says Bo became physically violent with Matt and his mother, saying he didn't want to hear about it.

"That was the first time he closed-fist punched me," Matt told ESPN. "It knocked me all the way across the kitchen."

Matt says that his mother told then-university athletic director Don Canham about Anderson's abuse, and that Canham was prepared to fire Anderson before Bo intervened on Anderson's behalf.

"Bo went to bat for Anderson and got him back working again," Matt said. "He wasn't going to have anybody change his team."

Almost 900 former patients have alleged abuse by Anderson and hired legal representation, including Matt.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 02:47 AM by IWokeUpLikeThis.)
06-11-2021 02:32 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(07-30-2020 03:43 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Well, a better title for the thread would be "someone claims Bo knew".

07-coffee3

I’ll take comments that I probably should delete for 100
06-11-2021 08:07 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
I still don't get it - why didn't anyone go to the cops about this?

Even in the 70s, a doctor who is too touchy-feely with patients would get investigated by the cops. Wouldn't they?
06-11-2021 09:44 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

(06-11-2021 09:44 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I still don't get it - why didn't anyone go to the cops about this?

Even in the 70s, a doctor who is too touchy-feely with patients would get investigated by the cops. Wouldn't they?
Sadly, it was the time. You can ask the same question about the Boy Scouts of America or the Catholic Church.

The University's hospital system didn't even investigate the dismissal of a court case in the 1990's when the doctor had to reapply for hospital credentials after the system bought his private practice.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 11:13 AM by Renandpat.)
06-11-2021 11:12 AM
Advertisement

dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2021 09:44 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  I still don't get it - why didn't anyone go to the cops about this?

It happened at many places - the power of an authority figure like a coach, combined with the desire to fit in, and the harsh way anyone that dared to speak combines to allow these things to be swept under the rug
06-11-2021 11:24 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(06-09-2021 08:56 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Bo’s statue sure to be coming down any time now.

If what his son is saying is true, that statue deserves to come down. In my mind, this would be worse than anything Paterno did.

So, is this kind of behavior a Big Ten kind of thing? Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan -- who's next?
06-11-2021 11:30 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2021 11:30 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(06-09-2021 08:56 PM)Hokie4Skins Wrote:  Bo’s statue sure to be coming down any time now.

If what his son is saying is true, that statue deserves to come down. In my mind, this would be worse than anything Paterno did.

So, is this kind of behavior a Big Ten kind of thing? Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan -- who's next?

If this had come out 15+ years ago when Bo was alive, this rivals Penn St for the biggest scandal ever in terms of media coverage.
06-11-2021 11:33 AM
Renandpat Offline
1st String

This Michigan situation more mirrors the USC issue more than the others as the general student enrollment was involved. That said, sexual misconduct within the health center is likely to have an avalanche in class action suits filed.
06-11-2021 11:42 AM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass

I mean there was the Ohio State wrestling scandal already.
06-11-2021 01:33 PM
Advertisement

colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy

Exactly. If it's a criminal matter, then bring it immediately and directly to the attention of a legitimate local, state, or federal law enforcement agency and be prepared to support any allegations with evidence. In short, give the authorities enough to justify the launching of an investigation. Don't bother with folks in the athletic department or administrative chains of command or with the campus cops, some of whom might actually be complicit and all of whom might perceive a vested interested in sweeping matters under the rug.

Coaches and administrators aren't equipped or qualified to conduct criminal investigations. If, however, they want to conduct parallel investigations of their own after being informed by the authorities that a criminal investigation has been launched, and if they decide to impose administrative penalties as a consequence of their findings, fine.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2021 02:20 PM by colohank.)
06-11-2021 02:17 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2021 01:33 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

Or are other schools just better at cover-ups?
06-11-2021 02:35 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(06-11-2021 02:35 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  
(06-11-2021 01:33 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

Or are other schools just better at cover-ups?

Oh I'm not saying it's a B1G thing, just adding in another that had something terrible like this.

In all likelihood there are others that have happened. It's unfortunate and terrible, but throughout history people in positions of power/authority have abused them for their liking (not everyone in a position of power, obviously).
06-11-2021 03:36 PM
seaking4steel Offline
1st String

I Root For: Penn St, App St

Keep in mind that the fans of other B1G programs, as well as many other schools around the country were the ones making jokes about "Ped State". Even when App played them 3 years ago, some people posted it on forums. No telling who could have a major scandal next.

"Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones"
06-11-2021 09:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.