Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Hoops Roster 20-21
Bookmark and Share
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Men's Hoops Roster 20-21
https://emueagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Does not include the three transfers: Lowder, Love III and Okongo. I assume that changes once they start classes.
07-22-2020 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Men's Hoops Roster 20-21
(07-22-2020 10:21 AM)emu79 Wrote:  https://emueagles.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster

Does not include the three transfers: Lowder, Love III and Okongo. I assume that changes once they start classes.

Or on campus or something.

This year, as we know, is so crazy we don't know who is already on campus including newcomers.
07-22-2020 10:25 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Did Jimmy Wooten leave?
07-22-2020 07:49 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-22-2020 07:49 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Did Jimmy Wooten leave?

Good catch. Looks that way. Wonder if they are going to hire one to replace him. Mike Talley III is a ,name that comes to mind. Believe he is coaching AAU team in Detroit. The Family.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 10:08 AM by emu79.)
07-22-2020 10:59 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(07-22-2020 10:59 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(07-22-2020 07:49 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Did Jimmy Wooten leave?

Good catch. Looks that way. Wonder if they are going to hire one to replace him. Mike Talley Jr is a ,name that comes to mind

Wow. He did the recruiting for us.
07-23-2020 05:01 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

The 2021 class will be a big one so being short handed assistant coach wise is not good.
07-23-2020 05:34 AM
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I'm sure we'll hire a young up-and-comer before the season tips off. Hopefully good one.

Who knows? Maybe Mike Talley.
07-23-2020 08:22 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(07-23-2020 05:34 AM)emu79 Wrote:  The 2021 class will be a big one so being short handed assistant coach wise is not good.

The coach has to be able to recruit.

Wooten was brought in to recruit, esp. the East Coast, which is his home area.

I believe an issue with Benny White is that he wasn't an effective recruiter. White is a very, very nice guy. I really like him as a person. Some old folks here may remember Kevin Heck. Very good basketball mind. We followed Gary Waters to Kent State and later Rutgers. Eventually lost his job because he couldn't recruit well enough. I believe he was replaced by an asst coach who was a go to recruiting coach. At Rutgers got to be able to recruit or perish. Talent wins at that level.

As I understand it, the coaches have different roles besides coaching position players (e.g., point guards, wing players, or big men) but also recruiting, breaking down film and scouting, scheduling, etc.

Typically the assoc head coach works on scheduling, a thankless job for mid-major coaches. He or another coach may work on scouting and film breakdown.

The next coach may also gain experience working on scouting and film breakdown.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 01:01 PM by emu steve.)
07-23-2020 12:57 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Not roster related, but Stadium polled MAC basketball assistant coaches and named the Top 5 assistant coaches in the conference. Kevin Mondro came in at #5.

https://watchstadium.com/top-mens-basket...7-22-2020/
07-23-2020 03:13 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(07-23-2020 03:13 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Not roster related, but Stadium polled MAC basketball assistant coaches and named the Top 5 assistant coaches in the conference. Kevin Mondro came in at #5.

Hey I love Kevin Mondro, he seems to be a really nice guy and a class act. If you attend games, however, you will see him as an assistant with his hands largely in his pockets and not truly engaged in the on-court action or for that matter, any pregame interactions with players. He coaches the big guys, he seemed to a great job with Toure, not so much with Thompson, King, Jones, Steele, etc... Obviously he is a well liked person amongst his peers, I just have my doubts about his efficacy as an assistant coach. Just my opinion.
07-23-2020 07:36 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(07-23-2020 07:36 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 03:13 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  Not roster related, but Stadium polled MAC basketball assistant coaches and named the Top 5 assistant coaches in the conference. Kevin Mondro came in at #5.

Hey I love Kevin Mondro, he seems to be a really nice guy and a class act. If you attend games, however, you will see him as an assistant with his hands largely in his pockets and not truly engaged in the on-court action or for that matter, any pregame interactions with players. He coaches the big guys, he seemed to a great job with Toure, not so much with Thompson, King, Jones, Steele, etc... Obviously he is a well liked person amongst his peers, I just have my doubts about his efficacy as an assistant coach. Just my opinion.

I have some feel for how Murphy runs this team. I have actually been in the team hotel on one of their trips here to D.C. (actually Baltimore).

Mondro was in the lobby with his laptop going over scouting materials for the game. I assume he was doing the scouting reports, etc.

I've also been in the Convo during summer (usually make it once a year) and asked about OOC games and Murphy pointed me to Mondro for the info.

I think the big change is that Matt Cline is taking a bigger role in team operations. He seems to be a 'jack of all trades."

I believe Murphy has publicly mentioned that Wooten was the man for recruiting. He was brought in to recruit.

We (on the board) seem to have the feel that Cline is very involved in recruiting but I do not know this one way or the other.

I remember the olden days when Brown and White were the two primary recruiters. I assume it was Wooten and Cline, but not sure what Cline's role is.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 08:46 PM by emu steve.)
07-23-2020 08:44 PM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-23-2020 08:44 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 07:36 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

I have some feel for how Murphy runs this team. I have actually been in the team hotel on one of their trips here to D.C. (actually Baltimore).

Mondro was in the lobby with his laptop going over scouting materials for the game. I assume he was doing the scouting reports, etc.

I've also been in the Convo during summer (usually make it once a year) and asked about OOC games and Murphy pointed me to Mondro for the info.

I think the big change is that Matt Cline is taking a bigger role in team operations. He seems to be a 'jack of all trades."

I believe Murphy has publicly mentioned that Wooten was the man for recruiting. He was brought in to recruit.

We (on the board) seem to have the feel that Cline is very involved in recruiting but I do not know this one way or the other.

I remember the olden days when Brown and White were the two primary recruiters. I assume it was Wooten and Cline, but not sure what Cline's role is.

Cline like Brown recruits the jucos. Wooten the preps.
07-23-2020 10:29 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Last summer we got photos of the guys and coaches working out. Hopefully we do this year. Also I think Gibson should be a Jr on the roster and Pacheco a redshir t frosh.

Earl Boykins is now at Arkansas as player director and John Bowler Wisconsin Mil as an assistant.
07-24-2020 07:28 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Andrew Moore left his Air Force job to be head coach at an Ohio high school.
Lorenzo Neely still an assistant at Wayne St
07-24-2020 05:36 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
(07-24-2020 07:28 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Last summer we got photos of the guys and coaches working out. Hopefully we do this year. Also I think Gibson should be a Jr on the roster and Pacheco a redshir t frosh.

Earl Boykins is now at Arkansas as player director and John Bowler Wisconsin Mil as an assistant.

I’d love it if Bowler makes his way back to Ypsilanti in the next five years...
07-24-2020 08:54 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(07-24-2020 08:54 PM)holybovine Wrote:  
(07-24-2020 07:28 AM)emu79 Wrote:  Last summer we got photos of the guys and coaches working out. Hopefully we do this year. Also I think Gibson should be a Jr on the roster and Pacheco a redshir t frosh.

It would be nice but in my opinion the following would need to happen:

1). Mondro would leave,

2). Cline move up to fill his slot with scheduling, etc.

3). Bowler would fill Cline's spot.

OR if Cline left Bowler could take that slot.

The key slots are the 'assoc head coach' slot that Mondro has and the vacant 'recruiting' coach.

Bowler doesn't fit either. And the other question does Bowler make more at WI-Mil than he would at EMU? (I assume so).
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2020 05:02 AM by emu steve.)
07-25-2020 05:01 AM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

(07-25-2020 05:01 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

It would be nice but in my opinion the following would need to happen:

1). Mondro would leave,

2). Cline move up to fill his slot with scheduling, etc.

3). Bowler would fill Cline's spot.

OR if Cline left Bowler could take that slot.

The key slots are the 'assoc head coach' slot that Mondro has and the vacant 'recruiting' coach.

Bowler doesn't fit either. And the other question does Bowler make more at WI-Mil than he would at EMU? (I assume so).
The reality is that next March there will likely be a major change for EMU men's BB.
07-25-2020 11:06 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

I really wish we would give more love/opportunities to our legacy athletes. Great players and great men, both. Btw, Bowler did a great job out here at DMACC--Des Moines Area Community College...provided a couple good players for us too: Brandon Nazione and Baylee Steele. Btw, Nazione is still making a living playing basketball--playing overseas in Portugese Basketball League. That is not a bad life. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020 08:12 AM by Bob Wickersham.)
07-26-2020 08:01 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Agree. Not sure what more he has to prove. Great EMU player, very good head coach at the junior college level, now D1 assistant. He obviously would have a deeper love and passion for his alma mater. Love and passion for the school you're coaching? What a concept!
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020 11:30 AM by Bob Wickersham.)
07-26-2020 08:04 AM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

(07-26-2020 08:04 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Agree. Not sure what more he has to prove. Great EMU player, very good head coach at the junior college level, now D1 assistant. He obviously would have a deeper love and passion for his alma mater. Love and passion for the school your coaching? What a concept!
I'm on board with this too. If he's ready to be a D1 HC then keep him in mind when the job opens up.
07-26-2020 09:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.