Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COVID19 is still here but so are workouts for WACBB20/21...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

I Root For: NMSU
COVID19 is still here but so are workouts for WACBB20/21...

07-20-2020 10:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

RE: COVID19 is still here but so are workouts for WACBB20/21...

(This post was last modified: 07-21-2020 02:35 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-21-2020 02:30 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

07-22-2020 11:50 PM
TexanFan Online
1st String

I Root For: Tarleton
Trying to learn more about the WAC, so per Seattle’s Twitter pics, are they in a practice gym or is it their actual gym? Who all has separate practice facilities and who doesn’t?
07-23-2020 08:34 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-23-2020 08:34 AM)TexanFan Wrote:  Trying to learn more about the WAC, so per Seattle’s Twitter pics, are they in a practice gym or is it their actual gym? Who all has separate practice facilities and who doesn’t?

That is Seattle's actual gym, the Redhawk Center. It seats 999. They used to play in KeyArena (where the SuperSonics used to play) but moved to the Redhawk Center when renovations began at KeyArena. It is unclear if they will return to KeyArena when the renovation is complete or if they will remain at the Redhawk Center.
07-23-2020 08:53 AM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

The newly renovated KeyArena is supposed to be completed in the summer of 2021. We will see if Seattle U. will start scheduling games of higher fan interest there after this season; much like how UTRGV has scheduled some of their more pivotal games this season at the Bert Ogden arena.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2020 09:25 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-23-2020 09:10 AM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
The days of getting a good deal are probably gone. Old Key was desperate for dates. New Key will have an NHL team plus the concert/event boost of a new/renovated arena. Every Saturday will be taken up by something more lucrative.
07-23-2020 09:37 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Seattle U has by far the worst venue in the WAC. NMSU has a huge arena plus an annex that has a practice gym, offices, locker room, etc. I would probably rate WAC basketball facilities in this order:

1. NMSU. NMSUs Pan Am Center is old (fits 12515 after last renovation) but it’s still a great place to watch basketball and the annex with offices, practice gym, etc is nothing to sneeze at
2. GCU. I’ve been there. GCU arena is newer but it feels like an oversized high school gym even though it fits 7000. Roof is very low and I feel squished every time I’m there. The practice facility is brand new and very nice
3. CBU. Fits 5050 Very nice arena. Even though it fits less than GCU arena it feels bigger. New section they added is very nice as well
4. Utah Valley. UCCU Center fits 8500. Another place that feels like a giant high school gym with giants sections that are gold in/out bleachers. The practice facilities are super nice. If they only had fans....
5. Dixie State-Burns Arena fits 5000. Have not been but pics look very nice. Do they have a separate practice facility?
6. Chicago State-Jones Convocation Center fits 7000. It’s seats are very step and also large sections of it are bleachers. It’s a decent arena with a terrible basketball program
7. Tarleton State high school gym that fits 2400. No
8. UTRGV- fits 2500. Another high school gym. No
9. Seattle U. Middle school gym that fits 999. The worst of all.

I think the WAC schools that have a separate practice facility is:
NMSU
GCU
CBU
Utah Valley

None of the rest have one.
07-23-2020 01:17 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

The GCU film guy needs to step his game up, that practice looks boring
07-23-2020 01:18 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-23-2020 09:37 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The days of getting a good deal are probably gone. Old Key was desperate for dates. New Key will have an NHL team plus the concert/event boost of a new/renovated arena. Every Saturday will be taken up by something more lucrative.

Seattle Kraken. I love the name. I love the logo.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2952...nhl-season
07-23-2020 01:44 PM
wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State
(07-23-2020 09:10 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  The newly renovated KeyArena is supposed to be completed in the summer of 2021. We will see if Seattle U. will start scheduling games of higher fan interest there after this season; much like how UTRGV has scheduled some of their more pivotal games this season at the Bert Ogden arena.

You will see the new NHL team the Seattle Krakens player in that arena.
07-23-2020 06:53 PM
Advertisement

Lopes87 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(07-23-2020 06:53 PM)wisdomgymrat Wrote:  
(07-23-2020 09:10 AM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  The newly renovated KeyArena is supposed to be completed in the summer of 2021. We will see if Seattle U. will start scheduling games of higher fan interest there after this season; much like how UTRGV has scheduled some of their more pivotal games this season at the Bert Ogden arena.

You will see the new NHL team the Seattle Krakens player in that arena.

Seattle U will do more of this with the arena in Kent and in Everett. I'm not sure Seattle U will get back into the Climate Pledge Arena unless they are playing UW/WSU/Gonzaga/Oregon/OregonSt or another program that has a lot of alumni in the area. Also there will be no s on the name Kraken. Just like how we don't add an S to the name Heat.
07-23-2020 07:08 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

07-23-2020 08:59 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

Aggies shutdown practice due to a player testing positive for COVID19...

Chris Jans July 23rd Interview

(This post was last modified: 07-25-2020 01:49 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-25-2020 01:42 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(07-23-2020 09:37 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  The days of getting a good deal are probably gone. Old Key was desperate for dates. New Key will have an NHL team plus the concert/event boost of a new/renovated arena. Every Saturday will be taken up by something more lucrative.

I doubt it. Look at the Staples Center in LA. In a normal year, they have the Lakers, Clippers and Kings playing in the arena, as well as concerts and other events, covering about 250 events per year. The Kraken will be good for 41 home dates in hockey, plus a few preseason games. The Redhawks should be able to play 15 home games per season at the Climate Pledge Arena, along with Roller Derby and the WNBA.

The arena is only about three miles from the campus. The Redhawks need to play in a bigger arena to grow their basketball program. There is no NBA basketball in Seattle and only one other D1 school. They city produces a lot of high school basketball talent. The Redhawks have been able to schedule quality opponents over the years at that arena. They were getting home games at the Key Arena that no other WAC school could get. The Redhawks have huge upside and need to play in that arena.
07-26-2020 07:04 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

When Seattle U. first jumped back into D1 after many years, it use to use the KeyArena almost exclusively to play its home games. And, there were a few marquee games back then. However, as each season past, it seemed like Seattle U. used the KeyArena less and less; such that Washington was the only big school Seattle U was still hosting there. It will be interest to see if Seattle U. goes full bore with trying to uses the new Climate Pledge Arena for their home games. Or, if Seattle U will dial it back to just use the arena for bigger fan interest games. At the height of the KeyArena's use, by Seattle U, 16 to 17 homes games were played there. Just before the KeyArena closed for renovation, Seattle U only hosted 9 games there. Needless to say, if Seattle U wants to build up the basketball program, it can't continue to use the Redhawk Center as its main basketball facility. Hayford had a better setup at Eastern Washington.

[Image: 960x0.jpg?fit=scale]
(This post was last modified: 07-26-2020 10:48 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-26-2020 10:01 PM
Advertisement

NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(07-26-2020 10:01 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  When Seattle U. first jumped back into D1 after many years, it use to use the KeyArena almost exclusively to play its home games. And, there were a few marquee games back then. However, As each season past, it seemed like Seattle U. used the KeyArena less and less; such that Washington was the only big school Seattle U was still hosting there. It will be interest to see if Seattle U. goes full bore with trying to uses the new Climate Pledge Arena for their home games. Or, if Seattle U will dial it back to just use the arena for bigger fan interest games. At the height of the KeyArena's use, by Seattle U, 16 to 17 homes games were played there. Just before the KeyArena closed for renovation, Seattle U only hosted 9 games there. Needless to say, if Seattle U wants to build up the basketball program, it can't continue to use the Redhawk Center as its main basketball facility. Hayford had a better setup at Eastern Washington.

Even more telling, Hayford had a 1620 capacity arena when he was at D3 Whitworth. You'd have to think that SU could do better than the Redhawk Center. Their challenge is space on campus. There really isn't room to build a bigger arena. Given property values in that neighborhood it would be a tough challenge to add to the campus for a new facility.
07-26-2020 10:46 PM
NMSUPistolPete Online
All American

Although Seattle U. would need to expand the Redhawk Center building to add any significant seating, under its current seating configuration, it is not fully maximizing the potential capacity of the gym. There is a lot of vacant space in the corners of the gym. And, the current stands do not extend the full length and width of the court. Seattle could probably add another 100 seats or more with a better seating configuration.

[Image: seattle-u-facility.jpg]

[Image: GLGZUCCWRJWTMHQ.20180121191143.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020 12:05 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-26-2020 11:55 PM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

If given the chance Seattle should take advantage of using this newly renovated arena. Seattle is probably the best and most attractive city of no the WAC. Using this arena as a main attraction can lure in some good programs to play there. This could kickstart Seattle’s program, especially if the local high school basketball talent decides to stay put in Seattle.

07-27-2020 08:28 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(07-26-2020 07:04 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

I doubt it. Look at the Staples Center in LA. In a normal year, they have the Lakers, Clippers and Kings playing in the arena, as well as concerts and other events, covering about 250 events per year. The Kraken will be good for 41 home dates in hockey, plus a few preseason games. The Redhawks should be able to play 15 home games per season at the Climate Pledge Arena, along with Roller Derby and the WNBA.

The arena is only about three miles from the campus. The Redhawks need to play in a bigger arena to grow their basketball program. There is no NBA basketball in Seattle and only one other D1 school. They city produces a lot of high school basketball talent. The Redhawks have been able to schedule quality opponents over the years at that arena. They were getting home games at the Key Arena that no other WAC school could get. The Redhawks have huge upside and need to play in that arena.

The difference being Lakers/Clippers/Kings games are all lucrative events for the Staples Center. An SU game with a couple thousand attendees doesn't bring enough revenue to the arena manager -- and that bar for arena management to breakeven on an event will be higher after renovations. The trickle down is they'll be charging SU more to use it, when SU (a) can't draw enough gameday revenue to justify the cost and (b) is looking to cut costs in the current climate.

It's easier to get a sweetheart deal when an older, non-NHL/NBA arena needs dates. You have the leverage because the arena doesn't want to sit empty. The leverage flips when it's shiny with an NHL team and events are racing to book the new hot thing.
07-27-2020 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.