Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NMSU dominant in WAC Tournament...
Bookmark and Share
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
NMSU dominant in WAC Tournament...
Over the last 10 years in the WAC, NMSU ranks 3rd...

07-14-2020 04:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
RE: NMSU dominant in WAC Tournament...
Yeah, yeah we know, nmsu's intergalactic universal super destructo dominance of all things basketball.

Just took a look at GCU's recruiting pipeline. Bryce Drew has been one busy little bee. He's coming for ya.
07-14-2020 09:13 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-14-2020 09:13 AM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  Yeah, yeah we know, nmsu's intergalactic universal super destructo dominance of all things basketball.

Just took a look at GCU's recruiting pipeline. Bryce Drew has been one busy little bee. He's coming for ya.

Apparently it was felt that you didn't get the memo lol
07-14-2020 09:30 AM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(07-14-2020 09:13 AM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  Yeah, yeah we know, nmsu's intergalactic universal super destructo dominance of all things basketball.

I welcome this. I saw it on another thread, but I do believe that we need NMSU to NOT be the only dominant program. We need, in my opinion, at a minimum of 3-4 programs capable of competing in and out of conference. To date, WAC2.0 just hasn't had that on a consistent basis. If you ask me, GCU is probably the closest to being able to consistently be in the top 100 NET rankings on a consistent basis. I think investments are being made at a few other programs that could get them there in the future, but may have a little more work to do (Dixie St, Tarleton, UVU).

I am sure I missed someone in that list, but the main thing is, we need another 1-2 programs to get to the point they can be in the top 100 NET rankings on a consistent basis.

GO AGGIES!!!!
07-14-2020 09:34 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
(07-14-2020 09:34 AM)NMSUIndyAg Wrote:  

I welcome this. I saw it on another thread, but I do believe that we need NMSU to NOT be the only dominant program. We need, in my opinion, at a minimum of 3-4 programs capable of competing in and out of conference. To date, WAC2.0 just hasn't had that on a consistent basis. If you ask me, GCU is probably the closest to being able to consistently be in the top 100 NET rankings on a consistent basis. I think investments are being made at a few other programs that could get them there in the future, but may have a little more work to do (Dixie St, Tarleton, UVU).

I am sure I missed someone in that list, but the main thing is, we need another 1-2 programs to get to the point they can be in the top 100 NET rankings on a consistent basis.

GO AGGIES!!!!

I think its now the WAC 2.1
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020 11:46 AM by CrimsonPhantom.)
07-14-2020 11:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(07-14-2020 11:45 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!!

In the context of the WAC's history, I think we are now at WAC 8.0.

WAC 1.0 - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, New Mexico, Utah, & Wyoming
WAC 1.1 - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado State, & UTEP
WAC 2.0 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, & Air Force
WAC 2.1 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, Air Force, & Fresno State
WAC 3.0 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, Air Force, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, & San Jose State
WAC 4.0 - UTEP, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, & San Jose State
WAC 4.1 - UTEP, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, San Jose State, Nevada, Boise State, & Louisiana Tech
WAC 5.0 - Hawaii, Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Boise State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, & Idaho
WAC 5.1 - Hawaii, Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, & Idaho
WAC 6.0 - San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, Idaho, UT San Antonio, Texas State, UT Arlington, Seattle U., & Denver
WAC 7.0 - New Mexico State, Idaho, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, & UM Kansas City
WAC 7.1 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, & UM Kansas City
WAC 7.2 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, UM Kansas City & California Baptist
WAC 8.0 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, California Baptist, Dixie State, & Tarleton State

NMSU has been around since WAC 5.0. So, Aggie basketball has been dominant through various iterations on the WAC.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020 02:06 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-14-2020 12:48 PM
Advertisement

wisdomgymrat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tarleton State

And to think I could not respect you any more, you go and do this!
07-14-2020 01:35 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

If you are saying GCU is recruiting better under Bryce Drew than under Majerle, I might agree with you. If you are saying Drew is recruiting better than Jans at NMSU, then I don't agree with you. I look forward to Drew closing the talent gap between both schools but as of right now, NMSU is yearly out recruiting the rest of the WAC. If this season comes to fruition, a very talented recruiting class is expected to join the Aggie roster.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2020 02:16 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-14-2020 02:14 PM
NMSUIndyAg Offline
2nd String

(07-14-2020 02:14 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  

If you are saying GCU is recruiting better under Bryce Drew than under Majerle, I might agree with you. If you are saying Drew is recruiting better than Jans at NMSU, then I don't agree with you. I look forward to Drew closing the talent gap between both schools but as of right now, NMSU is yearly out recruiting the rest of the WAC. If this season comes to fruition, a very talented recruiting class is expected to join the Aggie roster.

I just want to be able to get into the Conference schedule and not have the next best team have a NET ranking of 200 (yes, I may be exaggerating a bit). If we can consistently get 3-4 programs at 125 or better, we will be on our way....

GO AGGIES!!!!
07-14-2020 04:49 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(07-14-2020 12:48 PM)NMSUPistolPete Wrote:  
(07-14-2020 11:45 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

GO AGGIES!!!!

In the context of the WAC's history, I think we are now at WAC 8.0.

WAC 1.0 - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, New Mexico, Utah, & Wyoming
WAC 1.1 - Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado State, & UTEP
WAC 2.0 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, & Air Force
WAC 2.1 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, Air Force, & Fresno State
WAC 3.0 - BYU, New Mexico, Utah, and Wyoming, Colorado State, UTEP, San Diego State, Hawaii, Air Force, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, & San Jose State
WAC 4.0 - UTEP, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, & San Jose State
WAC 4.1 - UTEP, Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, TCU, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, San Jose State, Nevada, Boise State, & Louisiana Tech
WAC 5.0 - Hawaii, Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Boise State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, & Idaho
WAC 5.1 - Hawaii, Fresno State, San Jose State, Nevada, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, & Idaho
WAC 6.0 - San Jose State, Louisiana Tech, Utah State, New Mexico State, Idaho, UT San Antonio, Texas State, UT Arlington, Seattle U., & Denver
WAC 7.0 - New Mexico State, Idaho, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, & UM Kansas City
WAC 7.1 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, & UM Kansas City
WAC 7.2 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Cal State Bakersfield, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, UM Kansas City & California Baptist
WAC 8.0 - New Mexico State, Seattle U., Grand Canyon, Chicago State, UT Rio Grande Valley, Utah Valley, California Baptist, Dixie State, & Tarleton State

NMSU has been around since WAC 5.0. So, Aggie basketball has been dominant through various iterations on the WAC.
Fun fact: Based on the list above, the two schools that have been WAC members for the largest number of conference iterations -- seven each -- are NMSU and Hawaii.
07-14-2020 07:19 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

If NMSU spends two more seasons in the WAC, it will equal the time spent in the Big West Conference (17 years); which is the 2nd most time spent in one conference by NMSU. NMSU was in the Border Conference for 30 years until the formation of the WAC 1.0 without NMSU; killing the Border Conference. NMSU also spent 11 years in the Missouri Valley Conference and 5 years in the Sun Belt (for basketball). After the Border Conference, NMSU also spent 10 years as an independent. During this time NMSU made it the to 1970 Final Four.

By the way, the schools who spent the most years in the WAC were BYU, Utah, Wyoming, New Mexico, and UTEP; 37 years. NMSU has a long ways to go to equal that amount of time.
07-14-2020 11:22 PM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Bryce Drew is gonna pee down his leg just like Majerle did. You also better keep the key to the liquor cabinet Texan fans cause NMSU is gonna Drive your boy Gillespie to drink!??Cant wait to shut you all up just like your boys at GCU. Blah blah blah Texan fans.[/align]
07-15-2020 08:37 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I'm talking about the pipeline (1-2 years out)

Hired just a few months ago, Drew, and especially BCG, are behind the 8-ball for 20-21. Drew took over a talented D1 team to build upon, and BCG has to build a transitioning D1 squad from scratch. Needless to say, their first full year of recruiting won't bear fruit until the 21-22 season. Drew is storming out of the gate.

Here's the GCU vs NMSU pipeline:

NMSU
2021 Recruits
2★PGSterling Jones(5-10 155)Medium
2022 Recruits
2★PGZiare Wells(6-6 165)Medium
2★PGJayden Pierre(6-0 0)Medium
2★PFIsaiah Earl(6-8 0)Medium
2★COnyekachi Nzeh(6-11 235)Medium

GCU
2021 Recruits
2★PGTyrone 'TyTy' Washington(6-4 170)Medium
2★PGKaleb Brown(6-6 218)Medium
2★PGChianti Clay, Jr.(5-11 155)Medium
2★PGJustus Jackson(6-1 0)Medium
3.5★SGR.J. Keene II(6-7 192)Medium
3★SGJohn Christofolis(6-4 170)Medium
2★SGMax Majerle(6-4 185)Medium
2★SGJalen Lake(6-4 0)Medium
2★SGSterling Gaston-Chapman(6-5 195)Medium
5★SFPeyton Watson(6-6 185)Medium
5★PFMichael Foster(6-8 210)Medium
4★PFBen Gregg(6-8 190)Medium
4★PFDaRon Holmes II(6-8 195)Medium
2★PFJohn Solomon(6-7 180)Medium
2★PFDeiman Reyes(6-9 205)Medium
2★CDuke Brennan(6-9 225)Medium
2022 Recruits
2★SGLewis Duarte(6-5 185)Medium
2★SGAndrew King(6-2 160)Medium
2★SFRandi Ovalle(6-7 0)Medium
2★PFJaxon Kohler(6-7 0)Medium
4★CDylan Anderson(6-10 195)Medium
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 09:21 AM by Itinerant Texan.)
07-15-2020 08:58 AM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-15-2020 08:58 AM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  

I'm talking about the pipeline (1-2 years out)

Hired just a few months ago, Drew, and especially BCG, are behind the 8-ball for 20-21. Drew took over a talented D1 team to build upon, and BCG has to build a transitioning D1 squad from scratch. Needless to say, their first full year of recruiting won't bear fruit until the 21-22 season. Drew is storming out of the gate.

Here's the GCU vs NMSU pipeline:

NMSU
2021 Recruits
2★PGSterling Jones(5-10 155)Medium
2022 Recruits
2★PGZiare Wells(6-6 165)Medium
2★PGJayden Pierre(6-0 0)Medium
2★PFIsaiah Earl(6-8 0)Medium
2★COnyekachi Nzeh(6-11 235)Medium

GCU
2021 Recruits
2★PGTyrone 'TyTy' Washington(6-4 170)Medium
2★PGKaleb Brown(6-6 218)Medium
2★PGChianti Clay, Jr.(5-11 155)Medium
2★PGJustus Jackson(6-1 0)Medium
3.5★SGR.J. Keene II(6-7 192)Medium
3★SGJohn Christofolis(6-4 170)Medium
2★SGMax Majerle(6-4 185)Medium
2★SGJalen Lake(6-4 0)Medium
2★SGSterling Gaston-Chapman(6-5 195)Medium
5★SFPeyton Watson(6-6 185)Medium
5★PFMichael Foster(6-8 210)Medium
4★PFBen Gregg(6-8 190)Medium
4★PFDaRon Holmes II(6-8 195)Medium
2★PFJohn Solomon(6-7 180)Medium
2★PFDeiman Reyes(6-9 205)Medium
2★CDuke Brennan(6-9 225)Medium
2022 Recruits
2★SGLewis Duarte(6-5 185)Medium
2★SGAndrew King(6-2 160)Medium
2★SFRandi Ovalle(6-7 0)Medium
2★PFJaxon Kohler(6-7 0)Medium
4★CDylan Anderson(6-10 195)Medium

Who cares about 1-2 years out? Jans recruits very few HS players. He loads up on jucos and transfers for the upcoming season. I don't know who any of those NMSU recruits are and could care less. I care about the 2020/2021 season. Period.

You keep getting shot down with your hair brained posts. And then you scramble to tell us what you "really" meant. You have no credibility.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 11:37 AM by PojoaquePosse.)
07-15-2020 09:40 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

Marvin Menzies used to get NMSU's name involve with recruiting high profile players when they were HS Sophomores and Juniors, but very rarely did it ever come to fruition with it was time to sign. In fact, the best player Menzies ever signed was a 2-star prospect... Pascal Siakam.

When GCU starts landing 4 and 5 star prospects with regularity over big name programs, then we can start giving Drew his just due. Until then, it is all window dressing on the recruiting sites. Keep in mind, Jans recruiting focus at NMSU rarely extends beyond a two years out from his present team. Jans recruits (reloads) on current need. So, he uses the JC transfer route and grad transfer portal a lot to fill his roster. Every year, he will sign a late bloomer freshman (or two) which he can put in the coffer for the future. Jabari Rice and Will McNair where those type freshmen. Rashaun Agee should be another; if he is patient in his development. Jans is a very good judge of talent and potential. And, he knows how to plug in their abilities into his program.

And, beyond Jans coaching, I would also say Gillispie is capable of developing 2-star prospects to play at a level that matches any 4-star recruit that Drew might bring into GCU. It might not happen immediately but once Gillispie is entrenched in the recruiting landscape, BCG will sign and develop quite a few high performing "diamond in the rough" players that Drew might have overlooked (or passed on) while out recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 12:28 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-15-2020 12:19 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
What does GCU have to do with this TX/NM pissing contest. Y'all can feel free to argue on your own team's merits, but I think even GCU fans are sick of hearing about GCU at this point.

We'll see when the games are played, but I'm not even that optimistic about Drew out of the gates. Let's check back after Year 3. Anyone who pretends to know what kind of program Drew will be running before then is lying to themselves and others.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 12:50 PM by gleadley.)
07-15-2020 12:50 PM
Advertisement

PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

(07-15-2020 12:50 PM)gleadley Wrote:  What does GCU have to do with this TX/NM pissing contest. Y'all can feel free to argue on your own team's merits, but I think even GCU fans are sick of hearing about GCU at this point.

We'll see when the games are played, but I'm not even that optimistic about Drew out of the gates. Let's check back after Year 3. Anyone who pretends to know what kind of program Drew will be running before then is lying to themselves and others.

Good stuff. I agree with all of this.
07-15-2020 01:07 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(07-15-2020 12:50 PM)gleadley Wrote:  What does GCU have to do with this TX/NM pissing contest. Y'all can feel free to argue on your own team's merits, but I think even GCU fans are sick of hearing about GCU at this point.

Oh c'mon, everybody loves a good TX/NM pissing contest!
07-15-2020 01:57 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I think once we are passed this COVID impacted era, we will see, on on paper, Bryce Drew will be signing the more heralded recruiting classes in the WAC. However, knowing how good of coaches Jans and Gillispie are at developing teams, the players both coaches will sign will be utilized to their maximum abilities; and fit perfectly the systems each coach chooses to run. That's not to say Drew won't sign some very good players who will be a beast to stop. With Frayer's return, I am a little more concerned with GCU's team this upcoming season. GCU might not be as deep as NMSU talent wise, but they have at least three All-WAC performers in the starting lineup... Blacksher, Frayer, and Lever. And, Dixon and McGlothan will be no slouches either. The biggest boost for NMSU could be if AJ Harris gains his 6th year of eligibility. NMSU will then have two All-WAC senior point guards in rotation with Sophomore PG Kalen Williams waiting in the wings. As for the rest of the conference, I think UT Rio Grande Valley will be good with their veteran leadership. But my gut tells me Seattle U will be the surprise of the WAC. I am impressed Hayford was able to land a JC All-American point guard in Angelo Stuart.
(This post was last modified: 07-15-2020 02:44 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
07-15-2020 02:41 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State

Battle of the Border States.

I remember how gung ho some GCU fans were when they first joined the WAC. Putting out predictions of what Tan Dan and the Lopes would accomplish. GCU itself working fans into a frenzy about what was to come.

Tarleton doing stuff similar. I blame the purple Koolaid.
07-15-2020 08:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.