Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Purdue requiring all students to test negative for Covid before coming to campus
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Purdue requiring all students to test negative for Covid before coming to campus
Sorry to be so school specific, but with a freshman-to-be at Purdue, that school has my attention right now. Anyway, details are still very sketchy but apparently the campus president announced earlier today on some talk show that all 40,000 Purdue students who wish to be on campus in a month and a half will have to test negative for Covid before going on campus.

As I said, details are still coming. But it sounds like the students have to do it at their own expense. And I'll assume it has to be within a certain time table but I'm not sure what that time table is yet.

I don't believe any other school has announced this yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes the norm. Many private or smaller schools might be able to test all of their students once they get to the campus (similar to what some athletic departments are doing with their athletes), but testing all students is another deal altogether. Especially when you're talking about the bigger state schools.
07-08-2020 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
RE: Purdue requiring all students to test negative for Covid before coming to campus
(07-08-2020 04:16 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Sorry to be so school specific, but with a freshman-to-be at Purdue, that school has my attention right now. Anyway, details are still very sketchy but apparently the campus president announced earlier today on some talk show that all 40,000 Purdue students who wish to be on campus in a month and a half will have to test negative for Covid before going on campus.

As I said, details are still coming. But it sounds like the students have to do it at their own expense. And I'll assume it has to be within a certain time table but I'm not sure what that time table is yet.

I don't believe any other school has announced this yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if this becomes the norm. Many private or smaller schools might be able to test all of their students once they get to the campus (similar to what some athletic departments are doing with their athletes), but testing all students is another deal altogether. Especially when you're talking about the bigger state schools.

Makes sense, from the school's perspective, to make everyone pay for their own test. The government won't pay to test students (or faculty and staff, for that matter), and paying for tens of thousands of tests would be a lot for any public university to bear, even more so given that their revenue is way down.
07-08-2020 04:34 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
RE: Purdue requiring all students to test negative for Covid before coming to campus
Actually I'm wrong about the payment part. Purdue is paying for it - and results are being sent to them directly.

I still think this may become the campus norm, but I doubt every school is going to pick up the tab to do so.

https://protect.purdue.edu/updates/stude...ouncement/
07-08-2020 04:41 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Not sure what the point of this is, as someone can test negative today than catch it tomorrow.

Probably some kind of legal cover?
07-08-2020 04:52 PM
Wedge Offline

(07-08-2020 04:41 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Actually I'm wrong about the payment part. Purdue is paying for it - and results are being sent to them directly.

I still think this may become the campus norm, but I doubt every school is going to pick up the tab to do so.

https://protect.purdue.edu/updates/stude...ouncement/

OK, that's good of them to pick up the tab.

(07-08-2020 04:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Not sure what the point of this is, as someone can test negative today than catch it tomorrow.

Your argument is that because someone might contract the virus in the future, there's no point in knowing whether any of the 50,000 people on campus have it today, and no point in telling people who already have the virus to stay home. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.
07-08-2020 05:00 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-08-2020 05:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 04:52 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Not sure what the point of this is, as someone can test negative today than catch it tomorrow.

Your argument is that because someone might contract the virus in the future, there's no point in knowing whether any of the 50,000 people on campus have it today, and no point in telling people who already have the virus to stay home. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Using your logic, I guess we should test everyone all the time before they go anywhere, like to the gas station, grocery store, wherever. Because they might have the virus and there's a Big Point in knowing that before they step in to this, that, or the other place? OK.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 05:49 PM by quo vadis.)
07-08-2020 05:48 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Logical or not logical, I bet you a majority of colleges put something like this in place when school starts up. It may be a gimmick in that someone testing negative on August 18th doesn't ensure that they can't become positive on August 25th. But if that's what it takes for a school to open up with perhaps 75 percent of its students on campus paying full tuition, then I bet you the richer schools are willing to take on a million dollar charge for testing all of their students.

Clemson also is doing this from what I hear. I'm sure there are others. Some will test the students once they get to campus but that seems harder to do in that getting the results that quickly is a lot to take on. It seems like early August testing kits mailed to students will be the go-to approach.
07-08-2020 05:56 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-08-2020 05:56 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Logical or not logical, I bet you a majority of colleges put something like this in place when school starts up. It may be a gimmick ....

I think it's a gimmick, but as a professor i am strongly in favor of face to face classes on campus so if that's what it takes to get the admins to open up to that, then I'm game.

07-coffee3
07-08-2020 06:11 PM
Wedge Offline

(07-08-2020 05:48 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Using your logic, I guess we should test everyone all the time before they go anywhere, like to the gas station, grocery store, wherever. Because they might have the virus and there's a Big Point in knowing that before they step in to this, that, or the other place? OK.

07-coffee3

Sorry, I'm not going to take the position that having no data is better than having some data. The fact that testing more often is ideal doesn't negate the fact that testing at least once is better than no testing at all.
07-08-2020 06:13 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-08-2020 06:13 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Sorry, I'm not going to take the position that having no data is better than having some data. The fact that testing more often is ideal doesn't negate the fact that testing at least once is better than no testing at all.

Looks like Purdue isn't requiring testing of faculty and staff to come on campus. That doesn't make any sense either.
07-08-2020 06:20 PM
Wedge Offline

(07-08-2020 06:20 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

07-coffee3

Looks like Purdue isn't requiring testing of faculty and staff to come on campus. That doesn't make any sense either.

They should be tested. More data is better than less.
07-08-2020 06:22 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(07-08-2020 06:22 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 06:20 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 05:00 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Your argument is that because someone might contract the virus in the future, there's no point in knowing whether any of the 50,000 people on campus have it today, and no point in telling people who already have the virus to stay home. We will have to agree to disagree on that point.

07-coffee3

They should be tested. More data is better than less.

Have to factor in the cost. A CV test probably costs what, about $100? It's worth $100 to know someone has or doesn't have CV at a given moment in time coming on to a campus?
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 06:29 PM by quo vadis.)
07-08-2020 06:29 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-08-2020 04:16 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Sorry to be so school specific, but with a freshman-to-be at Purdue, that school has my attention right now. Anyway, details are still very sketchy but apparently the campus president announced earlier today on some talk show that all 40,000 Purdue students who wish to be on campus in a month and a half will have to test negative for Covid before going on campus.

So I guess they will have to go to a doctor to get authorization. Rather short notice given how long a lead time many doctors have for routine appointments and the lead time for testing.
07-08-2020 07:17 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

Auburn and Georgia are requiring masks in classrooms (at least as of today-nobody seems to be committing to what things will be in a month).
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 07:18 PM by bullet.)
07-08-2020 07:18 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(07-08-2020 07:17 PM)bullet Wrote:  

So I guess they will have to go to a doctor to get authorization. Rather short notice given how long a lead time many doctors have for routine appointments and the lead time for testing.

They're sending kits to all students at the beginning of August. The swabs are to be sent directly to some Purdue medical office. I'm thinking it might be a watered down version of the nasal swab test, but even if it's only $50 per kit in cost to Purdue (which seems a low estimate), that's a $2 million investment by the school.
07-08-2020 07:31 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.

If there is an active outbreak, with the case rate manageable but not trending to zero, yes, certainly we should test everyone for having a fever before they enter any retail establishment.

Obviously any serious test and trace system that has thousands a people coming from all over the country to a single residential community is going to insist on a test for infection before they arrive. No test and trace system is going to cope with having dozens to hundreds of already existing infections spreading among a primarily epidemiologically naive population.
07-08-2020 07:56 PM
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
TCU will too. Masks also required.
07-08-2020 08:32 PM
otown Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida

Probably some kind of legal cover?

Its dumb. Unless they are going to be creating a bubble atmosphere like the NBA, this is useless.
07-08-2020 08:34 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
So I haven't been on this site much lately but I did want to post an update on this topic since I dropped off my girl at Purdue on Monday.

First off, that campus has spent $10 million dollars on Covid 19 preparation. Whether it's enough is anyone's guess, but I was incredibly impressed by some of their operations for check-in. I think they must have at least 10 large outdoor dining areas (giant tents) where the seats are separated by plexiglass (it sort of looks like the visiting area at a prison minus the phones I guess). All of the dining in the dorms is grab and go, and students can sit in the tents, or on grass fields, or just bring the food back to their dorms I guess.

They announced today that they tested 30,000 students in the summer. Something like 250 of those 30K tested positive and couldn't report to campus until they get a negative test (so the positive test rate was like 0.74 percent I think?).

Those are the good developments from a parents' standpoint. The bad was that they had a party in one of the apartments just off campus last night; and the campus police busted it up but before they did, they rounded up 36 students who were there, not social distancing or wearing masks. Or I should say ex-students as Purdue has kicked them all out of school for violating their safety pledge.

Purdue is well on the way to becoming the BYU of the midwest. But maybe that's what it will take to make it thru the semester.
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020 06:48 PM by Fort Bend Owl.)
08-20-2020 06:47 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(08-20-2020 06:47 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  So I haven't been on this site much lately but I did want to post an update on this topic since I dropped off my girl at Purdue on Monday.

First off, that campus has spent $10 million dollars on Covid 19 preparation. Whether it's enough is anyone's guess, but I was incredibly impressed by some of their operations for check-in. I think they must have at least 10 large outdoor dining areas (giant tents) where the seats are separated by plexiglass (it sort of looks like the visiting area at a prison minus the phones I guess). All of the dining in the dorms is grab and go, and students can sit in the tents, or on grass fields, or just bring the food back to their dorms I guess.

They announced today that they tested 30,000 students in the summer. Something like 250 of those 30K tested positive and couldn't report to campus until they get a negative test (so the positive test rate was like 0.74 percent I think?).

Those are the good developments from a parents' standpoint. The bad was that they had a party in one of the apartments just off campus last night; and the campus police busted it up but before they did, they rounded up 36 students who were there, not social distancing or wearing masks. Or I should say ex-students as Purdue has kicked them all out of school for violating their safety pledge.

Purdue is well on the way to becoming the BYU of the midwest. But maybe that's what it will take to make it thru the semester.

Heard there were pictures of a party at Tennessee and the Chancellor personally went the next day and knocked on the door of the apartment threatening to expel them for violating a safety pledge.

Auburn just switched to requiring masks at all times anywhere on campus, not just in the buildings. They had no safety pledge. Almost noone seemed to be wearing masks.
08-20-2020 06:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.