Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Ivy League cancels fall 2020 sports
Bookmark and Share
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Ivy League cancels fall 2020 sports
Reports have come out that the Ivy League has cancelled all fall 2020 sports including football and will not start any winter sprots until Jan 1 2021 at the earliest. As the Ivy was the first league to cancel its mens and womens BB tournaments back in march one has to wonder what sort of domino effect this may produce. Should be interesting to watch the next few days/week to see how other conferences react.

Brian
07-08-2020 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

RE: Ivy League cancels fall 2020 sports
(07-08-2020 03:48 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Reports have come out that the Ivy League has cancelled all fall 2020 sports including football and will not start any winter sprots until Jan 1 2021 at the earliest. As the Ivy was the first league to cancel its mens and womens BB tournaments back in march one has to wonder what sort of domino effect this may produce. Should be interesting to watch the next few days/week to see how other conferences react.

Brian

Here we go......
07-08-2020 04:06 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

Well, I guess we can hold out hope for pro football!
07-08-2020 04:11 PM
Dukester Offline

Quote:A few programs already had games canceled, including Fordham’s visit to Hawaii and Colgate’s contest at Western Michigan due to travel restrictions imposed by the Patriot League. Fordham also canceled two other games.

Lafayette told Navy it could not make it to Annapolis, Maryland, for a Sept. 12 game because the Patriot League school will not bring back its football team to campus with enough time to meet medical advisory guidelines established by the FBS, according to a release from the Naval Academy. That means Lafayette stands to lose at least four games, one against Sacred Heart on Sept. 5 and now two against Ivy League teams.
07-08-2020 04:27 PM
NH/JMU Saxkow Offline
1st String

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...e-football

"As powerful as the Power 5 commissioners are, university presidents have been pushed to the forefront of the decision-making processes. Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk told ESPN last week that the Patriot League presidents "pay an awful lot of attention to decisions that are made within the Ivy League."

"Whatever the Ivy League does, I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriot League gives it very serious consideration," said Gladchuk, whose school is in the Patriot League for all sports except football. "It'd be typical of the way we've operated in the past.""
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 05:00 PM by NH/JMU Saxkow.)
07-08-2020 04:59 PM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
The Dominos will begin to fall.
07-08-2020 05:31 PM
Advertisement

Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
How can JMU benefit from this situation?
07-08-2020 06:16 PM
DBJMU2006 Offline
1st String

(07-08-2020 06:16 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  How can JMU benefit from this situation?

If Colgate doesn’t play football our chances of losing in the playoffs go down.
07-08-2020 08:32 PM
Anders Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU, Boston Col
(07-08-2020 08:32 PM)DBJMU2006 Wrote:  
(07-08-2020 06:16 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  How can JMU benefit from this situation?

If Colgate doesn’t play football our chances of losing in the playoffs go down.

04-cheers 03-lmfao It has two sting for the players who went 0-2 against Colgate during their time at JMU. I believe the only other team they had that stat against.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2020 08:50 PM by Anders.)
07-08-2020 08:49 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I hope JMU and the CAA make the right decision and follow the Ivy's lead. This is futile to try to hold a season before April 1.
07-09-2020 07:51 AM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-09-2020 07:51 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I hope JMU and the CAA make the right decision and follow the Ivy's lead. This is futile to try to hold a season before April 1.

I'm not completely convinced either way right now. I feel like its closer to 50-50, and still think many schools will start the season with precautions and see how it goes.

It would be a shame if the rest of FCS had a mostly normal season, and we essentially walked away from participation in the playoffs and a shot at another title.
07-09-2020 08:02 AM
Advertisement

DukeThaDawg Offline
Bench Warmer

https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/12...4014934018

There’s no imminent movement for the rest of the FCS to begin exploring a spring season.

Madia talked to D'Antonio yesterday regarding CAA plans
@Madia_DNRSports's conversation with the CAA's Joe D'Antonio earlier today.

https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/stat...6833961984

https://twitter.com/Madia_DNRSports/stat...4348325890
07-09-2020 08:02 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-09-2020 08:02 AM)JMURocks Wrote:  
(07-09-2020 07:51 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I hope JMU and the CAA make the right decision and follow the Ivy's lead. This is futile to try to hold a season before April 1.

I'm not completely convinced either way right now. I feel like its closer to 50-50, and still think many schools will start the season with precautions and see how it goes.

It would be a shame if the rest of FCS had a mostly normal season, and we essentially walked away from participation in the playoffs and a shot at another title.

Oh definitely. The Ivy set the precedent but they're going to have to see a wider spread series of changes nationwide to really feel the pressure to go along with the trend.

Since the CAA isn't a leader in anything noteworthy, I wouldn't expect them to be FCS or D1 conference #2 to follow the Ivy's path. We're totally going to have a reactionary response when more than half the country already did it.

There's already a quote from a Naval Academy official that the Patriot League will feel pressured to follow the Ivy and to expect them to follow suit soon. The northeast conferences will probably be the first in the nation to do so.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 08:34 AM by Potomac.)
07-09-2020 08:32 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

Beyatchmond's game at Yale now of course cancelled. Wine and cheese vendors across the east coast are 01-lauramac2

edit note: Army also loses its scheduled game against Princeton. Though, the Yale-UR & USMA-Princeton games were scheduled one week apart in early-mid October, perhaps the Red Vests can strike a deal to play on the banks of the Hudson at the USMA somehow. That visual of UR playing Army reminds me of next-door-neighbors down in Lexington (W&L and WMI). That is, talk about 2 complete different ends of the spectrum in terms of student body complexion. :>)
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 08:42 AM by Wear Purple.)
07-09-2020 08:36 AM
doubleduke2016 Offline
2nd String

What will be interesting is the precedent set by the NCAA with Spring 2020 athletes getting an extra year of eligibility. I imagine they will have to do the same thing for the Fall and Winter athletes. You'd think the 2021 sports teams would be stacked next year but I also imagine the scholarship costs to schools already hurting from loss of revenue will be insurmountable for many. The top tier players would move on to the pros I am sure but I'd think there are a lot of players that will play on Sunday that will still want a year to develop and build their stock who would return for 1 more year. There is potential that the 2021 season will have some of the greatest college teams ever since you will have more resources than ever before potentially.
(This post was last modified: 07-09-2020 09:08 AM by doubleduke2016.)
07-09-2020 09:07 AM
jmuwyhamhgawd Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes
The Ivy League has the benefit of schools having ginormous endowments to draw from. Most of the rest of the collegiate world doesn't have that luxury. Whether or not that should factor into the decision, it certainly does.
07-09-2020 09:14 AM
Advertisement

JMU_Newbill Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU & Whoever Plays VT
What happens if they move the 2020 fall football season to spring 2021 and then things return to normal enough* for us to then have the fall 2021 season. Let's then say someone tears an ACL and is forced to miss both seasons. That raises a whole lot of additional eligibility issues.

*I'm not saying this will happen nor am I arguing what can/should/will be done to get there or how to measure it or who you voted for or what other countries are doing, its just a hypothetical
07-09-2020 09:15 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

(07-09-2020 09:14 AM)jmuwyhamhgawd Wrote:  The Ivy League has the benefit of schools having ginormous endowments to draw from. Most of the rest of the collegiate world doesn't have that luxury. Whether or not that should factor into the decision, it certainly does.

Exactly, those HUGE Ivy endowments make the decision much simpler and the fact that Ivy League does not participate in playoffs makes it an easy call and something they don't have to consider.
07-09-2020 09:19 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

What is really tough that no one is talking about is lets say the hypothetical of no 2020 season becomes a reality and the NCAA allows an extra year of eligibility to fall and winter athletes just like they did for the spring 2020 athletes.

How much are HS junior athletes going to be negatively impacted right now. I would think it significantly dries up their recruitment opportunities.
07-09-2020 09:49 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

It was already pretty interesting seeing how different schools dealt with that eligibility waiver. I suspect coaches will probably continue to be strategic (read: not completely fair) in how they offer some affected students another year’s scholarship, while others are left without.
07-09-2020 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.