Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Top W&M QBs of All Time
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Top W&M QBs of All Time
This is the big one: the QB position. We've gone ahead and compiled our list of the top QBs in Tribe history.

Of course, you can make the argument for a number of guys, but we decided on a top-4 spanning different decades and eras of Tribe football.

Check it out below, and comment with your case for someone we missed!

Article: https://wmsportsblog.com/2020/07/01/12402/
07-01-2020 06:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Top W&M QBs of All Time
I would argue that Stan Yagiello was the best QB of all time and didn't even make the list. That's a big miss to me.
07-02-2020 06:27 AM
GoTribe70 Offline
Water Engineer

Stan was great, as all mentioned were, but time seems to dim memories. I would speak up for Buddy Lex. This, from the Virginia Sports Hall of fame:
"Lex, a graduate of William and Mary College, was truly one of the last great triple-threat tailbacks operating from the single wing. In 1949, Lex was a runner-up to Sam Snead as Athlete of the Year in the state of Virginia. Snead won the PGA and the Masters that year while Buddy led the nation in touchdown passes, second in total offense, third in passes completed, and ninth in punting. He also found time to be the extra point kicker where he excelled. Lex’s accomplishments were against such competition as Pitt, Michigan State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Houston, Arkansas, and Virginia Tech. Even with this tough schedule, William and Mary was ranked as high as 12th in the nation in 1948 and 16th in 1947."
https://vasportshof.com/inductee/joseph-buddy-lex/
07-02-2020 07:08 AM
Tribal Offline

Top W&M QBs of All Time
Yeah, put Stan on that list and remove Art. I'm sorry, but if you were a college QB during a year when a silent film won the first Academy Award, you're ineligible to be on a greatest ever list.

And, save the "Why I oughta" rants.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020 07:21 AM by Tribal.)
07-02-2020 07:19 AM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
Yagiello is obvious. Mike Cook deserves mention as well.
07-02-2020 08:00 AM
Advertisement

billymac Offline
Heisman

Yeah, Yags should be on the list. Billy Deery was one of the most elusive QB's we've ever had and I would put Kenny Lambiotte in, at least, the "others receiving votes" category. Had he played 4 years in Williamsburg, no telling how his numbers would have looked.
07-02-2020 08:10 AM
wanm65 Offline
Special Teams

Dan Darragh '67

Buffalo Bills 1968-1970
07-02-2020 08:21 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

What criteria was used to decide top 4? I'm just curious. I don't disagree with any selection - after Campbell you can put about 6-7 QBs in spots 2-4. I also throw (no pun intended) Chris Hakel into the mix.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020 08:38 AM by Tribe1693.)
07-02-2020 08:37 AM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I think it would be interesting to look at the all time best season (Campbell and Lambiotte) vs. the best all time.

Food for thought to the Sports Blog....All time players by decade or era.
07-02-2020 08:56 AM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

No need to remove Art Matsu or any others. Easy solution is to expand the size of the list. Yagiello, Darragh, Hakel, and Lambiotte all deserve to be on the list and probably a bunch of others whose names escape me now.

My all time favorite remains Shawn Knight. If my memory serves me correctly, he played some at WR before he became the starting QB. I believe he caught a long bomb TD pass against UNC.
07-02-2020 10:02 AM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2020 10:02 AM)Zorch Wrote:  No need to remove Art Matsu or any others. Easy solution is to expand the size of the list. Yagiello, Darragh, Hakel, and Lambiotte all deserve to be on the list and probably a bunch of others whose names escape me now.

My all time favorite remains Shawn Knight. If my memory serves me correctly, he played some at WR before he became the starting QB. I believe he caught a long bomb TD pass against UNC.

You are correct about Knight playing receiver. But, the long bomb you are thinking of was Knight to Tomlin late in the 4th quarter during mop-up time at UNC. Both were redshirt freshman. I do think - but am not sure - that Knight may have caught a TD in another game that year (1991).

Hakel also played a bit of receiver in 1988 and actually returned a punt once. Laycock liked to get QBs on the field as WRs (before they were starters at QB) if they were good enough athletes. Matt Byrne who followed Knight also played WR and caught a touchdown while he was the 3rd QB.
(This post was last modified: 07-02-2020 01:56 PM by Tribe1693.)
07-02-2020 11:55 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Buddy Lex teamed with receiver Vito Ragazzo for 15 TD passes in 1949, which set the then NCAA
record. Lex was a great triple threat QB, as someone earlier pointed out...not to mention he played
defensive halfback on defense. He has to be on the long list.
07-02-2020 03:19 PM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

Buddy Lex would be a great addition -- for whatever reason, he didn't come up in our research.

Found a great article on Buddy Lex & Jim Cloud here, written by David Teel 10 years ago: https://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-xpm-2...story.html
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020 10:02 PM by WMSportsBlog.)
07-05-2020 09:56 PM
Advertisement

WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2020 08:37 AM)Tribe1693 Wrote:  What criteria was used to decide top 4? I'm just curious. I don't disagree with any selection - after Campbell you can put about 6-7 QBs in spots 2-4. I also throw (no pun intended) Chris Hakel into the mix.

Criteria was a little bit of this, a little bit of that 05-stirthepot

No but really, it was a mix of looking at a whole bunch of criteria (in no particular order): Career Stats, All-Americans, All-Conference, new and old articles (particularly for the older players), impact on the school and program -- literally anything we could get our hands on.

Honestly, the hardest thing about creating these lists is coming up with some sort of "cut off" for how many players we want to select. Our general criteria here has been to put together a starting lineup at each position/group -- and perhaps go 1-2 deep on those, but not much more.

For QB, we opened up the list further than we otherwise would (was originally eying 3 players), since there were so many QBs we could select -- as this thread suggests.
(This post was last modified: 07-05-2020 10:03 PM by WMSportsBlog.)
07-05-2020 10:00 PM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(07-02-2020 10:02 AM)Zorch Wrote:  No need to remove Art Matsu or any others. Easy solution is to expand the size of the list. Yagiello, Darragh, Hakel, and Lambiotte all deserve to be on the list and probably a bunch of others whose names escape me now.

Right -- we're thinking through a way to do this moving forward. Perhaps a "snub" list article -- potentially updating the current lists at the same time.

Have a little while to figure this out though, as we haven't done special teams, or the entire defense.
07-05-2020 10:01 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(07-05-2020 10:01 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  

Right -- we're thinking through a way to do this moving forward. Perhaps a "snub" list article -- potentially updating the current lists at the same time.

Have a little while to figure this out though, as we haven't done special teams, or the entire defense.

As Ive said before, since the Tribe website is spartan and we have such little press, I think you could nicely fill the niche of being more complete in these articles. Top 10 for instance on these specific articles, maybe inclusive of a stat chart. Not bashing your work at all, but there is a great need on the web for that info and I think that depth would be greatly appreciated.
07-06-2020 07:08 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

(07-06-2020 07:08 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(07-05-2020 10:01 PM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  

As Ive said before, since the Tribe website is spartan and we have such little press, I think you could nicely fill the niche of being more complete in these articles. Top 10 for instance on these specific articles, maybe inclusive of a stat chart. Not bashing your work at all, but there is a great need on the web for that info and I think that depth would be greatly appreciated.

Potentially -- but we don't want it to become a laundry list of players for each position, the All-Time list needs to be more exclusive than that.

We'll continue thinking through it though, appreciate the feedback.

It's definitely frustrating that these sorts of things don't already exist, but that's why we were created 04-cheers
07-06-2020 09:08 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.