Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COVID-19 vaccine candidate, co-developed with Canada NRC, approved for use in China
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
COVID-19 vaccine candidate, co-developed with Canada NRC, approved for use in China

CanSino's COVID-19 vaccine candidate approved for military use in China

Reuters•June 29, 2020

"BEIJING (Reuters) - China's military has received the greenlight to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics <6185.HK> after clinical trials proved it was safe and somewhat efficient, the company said on Monday.

The Ad5-nCoV is one of the eight vaccine candidates being developed by Chinese companies and researchers approved to be moved into human trials for the respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus.

The shot also won approval for human testing in Canada."

https://news.yahoo.com/cansinos-covid-19...20157.html

============================================

"The company has a portfolio of vaccines under research including Ad5-nCoV for COVID-19, developed jointly with the Institute of Biotechnology of the Academy of Military Medical Sciences of the People's Liberation Army.

The company has collaborated with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) on vaccine development.

In March 2020, CanSino made a deal to collaborate with the NRC on development of the COVID-19 vaccine candidate Ad5-nCoV, to help end the COVID-19 pandemic, with plans to conduct a clinical trial in Canada. Ad5-nCoV was the first COVID-19 vaccine candidate in the world to begin Phase II human trials."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanSino_Biologics
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 03:37 AM by jedclampett.)
06-29-2020 03:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

RE: COVID-19 vaccine candidate, co-developed with Canada NRC, approved for use in China

This is significant news, because it could represent an important step forward, and could speed up the approval process for worldwide use of the vaccine.

The fact that the National Research Council of Canada is a co-developer of the vaccine, and that advanced clinical trials will also be taking place in Canada, is also of importance.

The widespread inoculation of the Chinese military with the CanSino Biologics vaccine will provide researchers with very useful data that will no doubt be helpful in determining whether the vaccine has the potential to help stem the global Covid-19 pandemic.

Administering the vaccine to such a large sample is likely to speed up the process of obtaining sufficient safety and efficacy data to permit the vaccine to be approved for use in other nations, although such approval may still be likely to be months, rather than weeks off in the future.

Each nation will have to decide for itself when and whether to approve use of this or any other Covid-19 vaccine. Some nations may opt to follow the lead of the Chinese (PRC) government sooner than others, if the data obtained are sufficiently promising.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 03:43 AM by jedclampett.)
06-29-2020 03:33 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

RE: COVID-19 vaccine candidate, co-developed with Canada NRC, approved for use in China

In related news, another Chinese Covid-19 vaccine also has a promising safety and efficacy profile.

Sinovac says early data show its Covid-19 vaccine generated immune responses

Sinovac Biotech announced preliminary study results on Saturday showing its experimental Covid-19 vaccine generated immune responses in patients and was safe — early data that suggest it might protect people against infections with the novel coronavirus.

The Beijing-based drug maker’s vaccine, called CoronaVac, induced neutralizing antibodies in “above 90%” of people who were tested 14 days after receiving two injections, two weeks apart. There were no severe side effects reported, the company said in a statement.

The preliminary results were from a 600-patient, placebo-controlled Phase 2 study. Sinovac is also conducting a 143-patient, placebo-controlled Phase 1 study.

There are currently more than two dozen research efforts underway to develop protective vaccines against the novel coronavirus that causes Covid-19. In May, Moderna, a Cambridge, Mass.-based biotech firm, announced early and encouraging immune-response results for its experimental Covid-19 vaccine — although vaccine experts criticized the company for not disclosing enough detailed data.

The company said it expects to submit a report on the Phase 2 study results in the “near future,” at the same time as it submits a design protocol for a Phase 3 clinical trial to China’s version of the Food and Drug Administration.

Earlier this week, Sinovac also announced a collaboration with a Brazilian drug maker to start a Phase 3 clinical study there.

“Our phase 1/2 study shows CoronaVac is safe and can induce immune response,” said Sinovac CEO Weidong Yin, in a statement. Sinovac is building a manufacturing facility intended to “maximize the number of doses available to protect people from COVID-19,” he added.

Sinovc’s CoronaVac vaccine candidate uses an inactivated version of the novel coronavirus. The company used the same technology to craft approved vaccines for hepatitis A and B; swine flu; avian flu; and the virus that causes hand, foot, and mouth disease.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/14/sino...responses/
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 03:52 AM by jedclampett.)
06-29-2020 03:51 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

CNN has a current story stating that Dr. Anthony Fauci has raised concerns about the less than 100% efficacy of the vaccines that have been developed, to date.

However, given the number of Covid-19 vaccines that have shown initial safety and efficacy potential, one possibility that may be explored is a "combination vaccine," which would in effect be "two vaccines in one."

This, from the CDC website:

"Combination vaccines reduce the number of shots your child needs while protecting against the same number of serious diseases."

Common combination vaccines for children

Pediarix DTaP + Hep B + IPV 5 diseases
(Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, and polio)

ProQuad MMR + varicella (chickenpox) 4 diseases
(measles, mumps, rubella, and varicella)

Kinrix DTaP + IPV 4 diseases
(Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio)

Pentacel DTaP + IPV + Hib 5 diseases
(Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio, and Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b))

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents/why...cines.html

There is also ample precedent for a single injection that offers three different vaccines in one - - protecting against multiple strains of the same disease:

Trivalent IPV (three strains of inactivated polio vaccine)

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concer...unity.html

This type of approach would help to offset the concern that Dr. Fauci raised in his CNN interview about the partial, rather than 100% efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines that he has reviewed to date, although it should be noted that Dr. Fauci did say that he would be comfortable with the idea of approving a vaccine with only 70% to 75% efficacy.

There are multiple indicators that the timetable for getting a vaccine adequately tested and approved for use in general population samples may be improving.

The first important indicator of an improving timetable was Dr. Fauci's optimistic statement, last week, that he could envision a Covid-19 vaccine being approved and ready for administration by early January.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 04:08 AM by jedclampett.)
06-29-2020 04:01 AM
Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Flu shots are not 100% effective, but are administered nevertheless. For example, I caught the flu on a cruise despite taking the flu shot.

Living involves risk. Each individual should evaluate a risk, weight their own tolerate for it, and act accordingly.
06-29-2020 09:33 AM
Advertisement

Helicopter Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC
I've been reading about that vaccine. The Phase I results were pretty poor. A third party researcher described it as "I guess it's better than nothing?" Also 5% of the inoculated patients experienced side effects worse than the virus.
I think China is rushing it but let's see what the mass testing on their military results in. One benefit of a ruthless police state I suppose.
06-29-2020 09:34 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

The one thing that makes me optimistic is that Fauci has made it clear that he's pretty sure there will be a vaccine by January 1st.

In addition, he's saying that it will have to be 70% to 75% effective for him to be on board. I believe he's putting his reputation on the line - - whatever data he has seen (and hardly anyone else has the access to inside info that he has) has been convincing enough to make him think there will be such a vaccine available & ready to administer by early January.

He could be going out on a limb, but he's not the type to do that. He knows something the rest of us don't know. If I'm betting anything, I would bet that the vaccine will be ready to go by mid-December, and possibly well before that.

Also, the vaccine the Chinese are administering has also received approval for more advanced clinical trials in Canada, with the advice of their National Research Council. If it were shiite, that probably wouldn't be happening.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 10:02 AM by jedclampett.)
06-29-2020 10:01 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(06-29-2020 09:33 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Flu shots are not 100% effective, but are administered nevertheless. For example, I caught the flu on a cruise despite taking the flu shot.

Living involves risk. Each individual should evaluate a risk, weight their own tolerate for it, and act accordingly.
Flu shots are 100% effective for the specific stains included that year. If the flu season has other stains or new mutations then it is not 100% effective.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
06-29-2020 10:07 AM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
Something like 120 vaccine trials going on right now, with who knows how many treatment trials, and they are running phases concurrently instead of in order. It's pretty unprecedented in terms of scale and speed. We'll have something effective soon enough.
06-29-2020 10:43 AM
Advertisement

Tiger1983 Offline
BBA

I Root For: Tigers - GTG!

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(06-29-2020 10:07 AM)mlb Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 09:33 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  Flu shots are not 100% effective, but are administered nevertheless. For example, I caught the flu on a cruise despite taking the flu shot.

Flu shots are 100% effective for the specific stains included that year. If the flu season has other stains or new mutations then it is not 100% effective.

My point is a CV-19 vaccine can still be helpful even if not 100% effective.
06-29-2020 10:48 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

Flu shots are 100% effective, but only against the specific flu strains contained in the vaccine. Another interesting point about vaccines---it is starting to look like the anti-body protection one gets from surviving Covid-19 may not last very long---so I suspect any anti-body response protection from a vaccine probably wont last very long either.

Years ago people went to work, went out, went to parties, and attended big events---despite the fact that TB, Polio, and other deadly incurable diseases existed out there. People continued to live their lives normally in the 80's even after AIDS was discovered in the heterosexual population. Flesh eating bacteria and anti-bacterial resistant super-bugs have been out there for years---but the chance of getting them was low---so we really didnt notice. We have simply become used to the idea that a fairly common infection cannot threaten us. But in the past---common infections did kill us---but our forefathers didnt curl up in a ball and hide until we had a cure. They just dealt with the risk and carried on.

Well---thats where we are now. We should be doing what we can to make normal life safer---but we need to get back to as close to normal as we can---because it may be some time (as in years) before we have a vaccine. Like you said---life is risky.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 12:12 PM by Attackcoog.)
06-29-2020 12:03 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-29-2020 12:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Flu shots are 100% effective, but only against the specific flu strains contained in the vaccine. Another interesting point about vaccines---it is starting to look like the anti-body protection one gets from surviving Covid-19 may not last very long---so I suspect any anti-body response protection from a vaccine probably wont last very long either.

Years ago people went to work, went out, went to parties, and attended big events---despite the fact that TB, Polio, and other deadly incurable diseases existed out there. People continued to live their lives normally in the 80's even after AIDS was discovered in the heterosexual population. Flesh eating bacteria and anti-bacterial resistant super-bugs have been out there for years---but the chance of getting them was low---so we really didnt notice. We have simply become used to the idea that a fairly common infection cannot threaten us. But in the past---common infections did kill us---but our forefathers didnt curl up in a ball and hide until we had a cure. They just dealt with the risk and carried on.

Well---thats where we are now. We should be doing what we can to make normal life safer---but we need to get back to as close to normal as we can---because it may be some time (as in years) before we have a vaccine. Like you said---life is risky.

That is all true, but let's just remember this, that all we have to do to make normal life safer is wear masks and facial covering whenever we're indoors and to either wear masks or practice social distancing when outdoors. That strategy has been working very well in the States that have been following this approach, such as New York State, which had the worst outbreak, but has brought it under control.

Regarding the antibody issue - - we simply don't know yet how long the antibodies continue to offer protection. It's too soon to say, and it's definitely too soon to shrug off the idea of being vaccinated due to concerns about antibodies being effective for long enough.

It is very rare for a vaccine to be effective for only a few weeks or months. Usually, flu vaccines last at least a whole year. If it turns out that people need an annual covid-19 shot, like an annual flu shot, chances are that won't be a problem - - they'll probably give people a combined flu and covid-19 shot each year.

Remember, too, that there are multiple reasons why we need to minimize covid-19 transmission - - not just our own personal safety, but those of all the people we care about, and that the fewer of us who get covid-19, the more hospital beds and respirators will be able when they are needed.

We may just need to get through a few more months of wearing face masks indoors and practicing social distancing when we don't have masks on. That's not too much to ask. That's what they did in the 1917 flu pandemic. If they could do it in 1917, we can do it in 2020.
06-29-2020 01:25 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(06-29-2020 10:48 AM)Tiger1983 Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 10:07 AM)mlb Wrote:  

My point is a CV-19 vaccine can still be helpful even if not 100% effective.

EXACTLY!
06-29-2020 01:26 PM
Advertisement

Helicopter Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UC
(06-29-2020 01:25 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(06-29-2020 12:03 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

That is all true, but let's just remember this, that all we have to do to make normal life safer is wear masks and facial covering whenever we're indoors and to either wear masks or practice social distancing when outdoors. That strategy has been working very well in the States that have been following this approach, such as New York State, which had the worst outbreak, but has brought it under control.

Regarding the antibody issue - - we simply don't know yet how long the antibodies continue to offer protection. It's too soon to say, and it's definitely too soon to shrug off the idea of being vaccinated due to concerns about antibodies being effective for long enough.

It is very rare for a vaccine to be effective for only a few weeks or months. Usually, flu vaccines last at least a whole year. If it turns out that people need an annual covid-19 shot, like an annual flu shot, chances are that won't be a problem - - they'll probably give people a combined flu and covid-19 shot each year.

Remember, too, that there are multiple reasons why we need to minimize covid-19 transmission - - not just our own personal safety, but those of all the people we care about, and that the fewer of us who get covid-19, the more hospital beds and respirators will be able when they are needed.

We may just need to get through a few more months of wearing face masks indoors and practicing social distancing when we don't have masks on. That's not too much to ask. That's what they did in the 1917 flu pandemic. If they could do it in 1917, we can do it in 2020.

That is absolutely false. Cloth face coverings are NOT a substitute for social distancing or hand washing.
06-29-2020 01:35 PM
smu89 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: SMU
(06-29-2020 10:01 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  The one thing that makes me optimistic is that Fauci has made it clear that he's pretty sure there will be a vaccine by January 1st.

In addition, he's saying that it will have to be 70% to 75% effective for him to be on board. I believe he's putting his reputation on the line - - whatever data he has seen (and hardly anyone else has the access to inside info that he has) has been convincing enough to make him think there will be such a vaccine available & ready to administer by early January.

He could be going out on a limb, but he's not the type to do that. He knows something the rest of us don't know. If I'm betting anything, I would bet that the vaccine will be ready to go by mid-December, and possibly well before that.

Also, the vaccine the Chinese are administering has also received approval for more advanced clinical trials in Canada, with the advice of their National Research Council. If it were shiite, that probably wouldn't be happening.

Operation Warp Speed is an administration initiative that is publicly out there covering Development, Manufacturing, and Distribution.

Link below provides everything from candidates to the full plan to make available ASAP.

https://www.hhs.gov/about/news/2020/06/1...speed.html

Not sure I would trust “results” from China. Whatever they report is positive in their favor. If they would have communicated and acted appropriately in the first place, we wouldn’t be discussing Covid.
(This post was last modified: 06-29-2020 02:32 PM by smu89.)
06-29-2020 02:19 PM
smu89 Offline
2nd String

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-healt...SKBN243346

COVID-19 vaccine candidates will enter late-stage clinical studies by the end of the month, with others beginning in August, September and October, the U.S. government’s top infectious diseases expert said on Thursday.
The news comes as Moderna Inc (MRNA.O), which is at the forefront of the country’s vaccine development efforts, reiterated earlier in the day that a late-stage trial with 30,000 volunteers would begin this month.

“We may be able to at least know whether we are dealing with a safe and effective vaccine by the early winter, late winter, (or) beginning of 2021,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said in an interview to JAMA Network.

Earlier on Thursday, Dr. Francis Collins, the director of the U.S. National Institutes of Health, said the Trump administration’s vaccine-acceleration program could generate a safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine by year-end.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
07-03-2020 11:29 AM
smu89 Offline
2nd String

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/07...ine-video/

A new Hydroxychloroquine study conducted by Henry Ford Health System revealed hydroxychloroquine successfully lowered the death rate among hospitalized COVID-19 patients by a significant margin.

The study examined 2,541 patients who had been hospitalized in six hospitals between March 10 and May 2, 2020.

More than twenty-six percent (26.4%) of patients who did not receive hydroxychloroquine died.

But among those who received hydroxychloroquine, fewer than half that number — 13% — died.

More than 90% of the patients received hydroxychloroquine within 48 hours of admission to the hospital. Scientists say giving the drug early during illness may be a key to success.

07-03-2020 11:43 AM
Advertisement

smu89 Offline
2nd String

Interesting potential medical treatment......

Watch "Dr. Richard Bartlett | ACWT Interview 7.2.20" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/eDSDdwN2Xcg

07-07-2020 02:57 PM
sfink16 Offline
All American

(06-29-2020 01:25 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  That is all true, but let's just remember this, that all we have to do to make normal life safer is wear masks and facial covering whenever we're indoors and to either wear masks or practice social distancing when outdoors. That strategy has been working very well in the States that have been following this approach, such as New York State, which had the worst outbreak, but has brought it under control.

Just went to our local Y today to check it out and get a brief workout in. In the weight room of the Y, most did not have facemask on. There were no workers to remind people to wear mask in the room.

Oddly there was a sign indicating that wearing a facemask on cardio machines is not safe (CDC recommendation I believe is what the sign said), I suppose due to breathing restrictions.

I'm not sure I'll be back until little things are straightened out.
07-07-2020 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.