Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

How many fans of other SB schools do you know?
Bookmark and Share
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Aside from fans and alumni of your own school, how many fans do you really know, in real life, of other schools in the Sun Belt?

I, for one, only know two alumni (not fans) of two other schools. One is my wife's cousin who graduated from Georgia Southern four or so years ago. The other is another of my wife's cousins who just graduated from Coastal Carolina.

That's all I got.

Maybe fans of schools in the Gulf states run elbows with each other more than I seem to do in North Carolina.

This is the one thing I miss about the SoCon: knowing people who went to the other schools. I knew alumni from every SoCon school (circa 2012 membership) except for Samford and UTC. (Wife went to Elon. Brother to Charleston undergrad and The Citadel grad. Bro in law to UNCG. Sister in law to WCU. High school friends to Furman and Wofford. One time girlfriend to Davidson. Aforementioned wife's cousin to Ga. Southern.)

Of course I would never ever ever want App to go back. App has had tons of success in the SB, at a higher level of play. And the message board community serves a good purpose.

The other thing I will say is that while I am in favor of regional realignment, it would not necessarily mean people all of a sudden will know more folks who went to another slchool within their conference. Sure, I know some UNC Charlotte grads, but no one from Old Dominion or Marshall or WKU or MTSU or UAB or Southern Miss or FIU or FAU.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 08:24 AM by Michael in Raleigh.)
06-23-2020 12:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
RE: How many fans of other SB schools do you know?
I know several students/alumni from UTA and TXST that I went to high school with. I wouldn’t call them “fans” of the athletics at those schools, though.
06-23-2020 06:49 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
After giving it some thought, I believe I know personally alums of every Sun Belt school except Texas State, ULM, and Arkansas State.
06-23-2020 07:49 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(06-23-2020 07:49 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  After giving it some thought, I believe I know personally alums of every Sun Belt school except Texas State, ULM, and Arkansas State.

That's impressive. Most of the time that takes living in a large city like Atlanta that draws people from all over. Is that the case for you?
06-23-2020 08:23 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(06-23-2020 08:23 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(06-23-2020 07:49 AM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  After giving it some thought, I believe I know personally alums of every Sun Belt school except Texas State, ULM, and Arkansas State.

That's impressive. Most of the time that takes living in a large city like Atlanta that draws people from all over. Is that the case for you?

Grew up in the Atlanta area so I have some friends from high school that I'm still in touch with that went to Georgia State and Troy.

Now I live in Savannah, and I was surprised at how many people move here from all over. I have several friends and neighbors here from universities up and down the east coast including App State and Coastal.

My dad's side of the family is from Mobile so I have cousins that went to South Alabama and family friends that went to ULL.

Still missing connections to ULM, Arkansas State, Little Rock, UTA, and TXST
06-23-2020 08:45 AM
Advertisement

HighCountry Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
I see a Charger with a stAte plate on the front bumper driving around in Tempe every now and again.

That's the closest I've come to seeing another SBC fan in Arizona.
06-23-2020 11:09 AM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
Here in Little Rock, my business colleague is a graduate of Northeast Louisiana. I wouldn't really call him a fan, just more of a casual observer of college football. He favors ULM, but is just not a sports fan in general. One of my old reps, that is still here in LR is a Texas St grad, and is a big fan of them. That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.
06-23-2020 11:16 AM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
If we're talking people interact with on a regular basis then I know none. I've met a handful of ULL fans though, one stAte fan (I think he went to both ULL and stAte actually), I have a distant cousin that went to UTA she doesnt seem too into sports though, and I've seen a guy wearing a GSU shirt at my gym.
06-23-2020 12:06 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I don't see very many non-USA SBC fans around here in Mobile but I do know several local UAB and USM fans in town who love the idea of their schools being in the SBC with USA.
06-23-2020 12:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian St
I work with a Troy Alum. He's not a big sports fun but he's willing to engage in some friendly banter. I know a couple of GS fans who are sports fans and a couple who are not. I used to work for a company that had a plant near Statesboro and they had several plant manager / engineer types who were Southern alums. I've also worked with a Georgia State alum but that was before App joined the SunBelt. Since I live in SC, I have met several CCU alums.

CUSA: At my office, we had a UAB alum but he recently left. He was a huge sports fan, although he loved Bama more than UAB. He couldn't talk UAB football/basketball though. Tons of Charlotte fans (since I work in uptown Charlotte). Used to have an Old Dominion alum working for me when I was in a different role.
06-23-2020 01:08 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
If we wanna bring up CUSA fans then I know plenty from UNT and UTSA, a few from UTEP, one from rice, and one from la tech.

AAC: a few UH fans, tulsa seems to have a pipeline to talent in my area so a few football players and fans around here, and I dont think I've ever met an SMU fan/alum.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2020 02:11 PM by Bobcat2013.)
06-23-2020 02:09 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

i have a niece that is a grad and former football cheerleader at Texas State and relatives that went to Troy. I also have a longtime friend from my many years at the Mobile Press Register that is a graduate of Troy.
06-23-2020 02:26 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Troy, GS coworkers I know personally . Although regularly see App, GS.and Troy alumni and fans around work. But see a lot of CUSA East fans and alumni as well.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
06-23-2020 02:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cajuncat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
My aunt went to ULM, she doesn’t really ever talk about her experience .
Friends with one football alum from UL but he doesn’t attend games
Friends with an alum of UL that is a die hard Gator fan living in Ville Platte.
Friends with 2 UL alum from Abbyville that are die hard LSU fans.
Met on vacation and became friends with 2 UL Softball alum that are married and still rep UL
Met a girl who graduated from Troy and her dad on a hunt in New Zealand
And that’s.....about it
06-23-2020 04:33 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

In my line of work I don’t run into current SBC members. I have worked with MTSU folks, but non of them were sports fans. They even said their time at school was go tailgate, then go to the dorms/frat houses and party some more. Never actually went to the games.

I’ve worked with Auburn, Purdue, Delta St folks, they were all and still are fans of their schools.
06-24-2020 08:27 PM
Cajun_lannister Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Louisiana
(06-24-2020 08:27 PM)Usajags Wrote:  In my line of work I don’t run into current SBC members. I have worked with MTSU folks, but non of them were sports fans. They even said their time at school was go tailgate, then go to the dorms/frat houses and party some more. Never actually went to the games.

I’ve worked with Auburn, Purdue, Delta St folks, they were all and still are fans of their schools.

I've worked with a few Ulm fans up in North Louisiana

Currently working with a south AL grad and Texas state grad
06-24-2020 09:13 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I always get excited when I see someone wearing gear of other SBC Schools in person. I usually try to initiate a conversation, only to find out they aren't really fans of that school, just graduated from there. They were happy to talk about SEC Football though.

That being said, I don't really know any other SBC Fans outside of those on this board that have had the misfortune of having met me. I've worked with WKU and MTSU Fans before back when they were in the SBC.
06-24-2020 10:52 PM
Advertisement

Magic95Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: North Texas
When I was in school at UNT, we were Belters and I didnt know a single other Belt school fan. But with the additions of Texas State and UTA that has changed. I would guess I know about 50-60 Texas State alums. Our small town is basically a feeder town for the school. Unfortunately, I dont think a single one of them watches football or basketball. So I dont know why they are my friends at all.

I commute to Austin for work and regularly see 2 vehicles driving in. One with an App State sticker and the other rocking them Ragin Cajuns.
06-24-2020 11:24 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(06-24-2020 11:24 PM)Magic95Fan Wrote:  When I was in school at UNT, we were Belters and I didnt know a single other Belt school fan. But with the additions of Texas State and UTA that has changed. I would guess I know about 50-60 Texas State alums. Our small town is basically a feeder town for the school. Unfortunately, I dont think a single one of them watches football or basketball. So I dont know why they are my friends at all.

I commute to Austin for work and regularly see 2 vehicles driving in. One with an App State sticker and the other rocking them Ragin Cajuns.

I only know 1..a buddy I played a lot of softball with is a grad of georgia southern and played on the baseball team. most of the schools in the sbc are regional ones and so dont seem to have many alumni nationwide..
06-26-2020 11:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.