RE: Belk Bowl now Duke's Mayonnaise Bowl

USFFan
06-18-2020 11:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schmolik Online
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
And the Big Ten has a deal with this bowl. I can't wait until Illinois goes to the Duke's Mayonnaise Bowl!
06-18-2020 11:08 AM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
I find mayonnaise disgusting.

But will Duke ever get to play in the Duke's Mayo Bowl??
06-18-2020 11:09 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-18-2020 11:08 AM)schmolik Wrote:  And the Big Ten has a deal with this bowl. I can't wait until Illinois goes to the Duke's Mayonnaise Bowl!

Yes, IIRC the B1G is now in this bowl in 2020, 2022, and 2024 as part of their deal to split the upgraded Las Vegas Bowl with the SEC. Good for everyone involved.
06-18-2020 11:22 AM
Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
LOL... Awesome name
06-18-2020 11:26 AM
Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
[Image: giphy.gif]
06-18-2020 12:31 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
Best mayo in the world.

https://www.dukesmayo.com/stories/our-history/

Quote:Eugenia Thomas was born in Columbus, Georgia in 1881, the youngest of ten children. Her father, a tailor, owned his own shop and no doubt contributed to Eugenia’s knack for business in her early years. In 1900, 19-year-old Thomas married Harry Duke, and their daughter Martha was born a year later. Nearly a decade later, the family relocated to Greenville, South Carolina for Harry’s new job at Southern Power Company.

During the early 1900s, Greenville thrived as a central point of the southern textile industry. The city’s booming economy laid the foundation for Eugenia Duke’s future business to take off. When the United States joined the Allies in 1917, an influx of soldiers arrived in Greenville to train at Camp Sevier, a National Guard Training Camp that operated from 1917 until early in 1919.

It was at Camp Sevier that the Duke’s Mayonnaise legacy began. Noting the hardworking, hungry soldiers-in-training, Eugenia Duke began selling sandwiches slathered with her homemade mayonnaise starting in 1917. Popular favorites like chicken salad, pimento cheese, and egg salad cost a dime each, and Duke made a profit of 2 cents per sandwich – about 40 cents in today’s dollars. On the day that Eugenia sold her 11,000th sandwich, she invested in a delivery truck that enabled her to distribute her increasingly popular sandwiches to more people than ever before. Eugenia’s sandwiches and the mayonnaise that gave them their special flavor were so unforgettably delicious that years after they’d left the camp, soldiers wrote to Eugenia begging for her sandwich recipes and jars of her delectable spread.

Greenville locals noticed how famous Eugenia’s sandwiches were becoming at the camp and began asking where they could buy Duke’s sandwiches in town. After the war ended, Eugenia began selling her sandwiches at local drugstores including Carpenter Brothers, Community Drug Store, and Greenville Pharmacy. Then she converted the first floor of Greenville’s historic Ottaray Hotel into Duke’s Tea Room, where she sold her sandwiches and a variety of side dishes. By the early 1920s, word of Eugenia’s delicious sandwiches was spreading rapidly. The kitchen in Eugenia’s Manly Street home was too small to keep up with all the orders she received, so she built a separate kitchen building on her property to keep up with the sandwich requests that flooded in every week.

In 1923, Eugenia’s top salesman, C.B. Boyd, noticed something important. Eugenia’s classic and simple sandwiches were delicious, but it was her tangy spread that was truly distinctive and kept people wanting more. Though her sandwich enterprise was still flourishing, Boyd urged Duke to shift her efforts to the mayonnaise that made her sandwiches so flavorful. As a result, Duke began selling her mayonnaise as a separate product. Together with her accountant J. Allen Hart, Duke opened an office on the South Main Street in Greenville’s West End and began producing her original mayonnaise in an old coach Factory building next to the Reedy River. Sure enough, Duke’s Mayonnaise took off and Eugenia sold her sandwich business to Hart in order to focus her attention solely on the spread. The sandwich operation, named Duke Sandwich Company, still operates in Greenville today.
06-18-2020 12:37 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
[Image: 42274724-glass-bowl-of-mayonnaise-sauce.jpg]
06-18-2020 02:12 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Duke's mayonnaise is tangier than other brands, and is great for tomato or tuna salad sandwiches.
06-18-2020 04:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
Does this winner play the Potato bowl winner in the

Potato Salad Bowl?????
06-18-2020 07:44 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(06-18-2020 04:06 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Duke's mayonnaise is tangier than other brands, and is great for tomato or tuna salad sandwiches.

Can you really tell it from Walmart Great Value mayo though?

I thought mayo was strictly a commodity, no difference across brands. Am i wrong?
06-18-2020 07:50 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
(06-18-2020 07:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(06-18-2020 04:06 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Duke's mayonnaise is tangier than other brands, and is great for tomato or tuna salad sandwiches.

I thought mayo was strictly a commodity, no difference across brands. Am i wrong?

There is a definite difference between Hellmans and Dukes and Miracle Whip at least to my taste buds.

I'll take Dukes everytime.
06-18-2020 08:12 PM
Advertisement

BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Just another incredible sponsor for the "Continental Tire/Meineke Car Care/Belk Department Store" Bowl...
06-18-2020 09:19 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(06-18-2020 09:19 PM)BearcatJerry Wrote:  Just another incredible sponsor for the "Continental Tire/Meineke Car Care/Belk Department Store" Bowl...

Never heard of Duke's Mayo but then I never heard of Beef O'Brady either until it sponsored a bowl. Guess that's what sponsorship and marketing are all about. 07-coffee3
06-18-2020 10:16 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
(06-18-2020 07:50 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I may be a Tar Heel, but my wife is a Duke’s gal!

I’m not sure I can tell the dif on succulent corned beef sandwiches or a juicy, medium rare burger.
06-18-2020 10:24 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
Like many things you can tell the difference between brands on items that showcase that difference the most. A burger has a lot of strong flavors so the mayo would be harder to tell but on that tomato sandwich mentioned earlier the difference in mayo brands is much more pronounced since the spread will be much more important on the flavor profile.
06-18-2020 10:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.