Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
2020 Football Predictions
Surprise Team?

Overrated Team?

Most Likely to win ACC?

List Your Bowl Teams
06-07-2020 06:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
RE: 2020 Football Predictions
(06-07-2020 06:30 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Surprise Team?

Overrated Team?

Most Likely to win ACC?

List Your Bowl Teams

Great thread Mark:

Surprise Team- Syracuse.
Not just a homer pick. I saw how this team improved greatly over the last 3 games and beat teams that they shoud'nt have, after the O-line finally gelled and gave Divito some protection and only allowed 5 total sacks the last 3 games. Divito, after being an INT machine during the first 3 P5 opponents, did not throw a single INT in the last 7 games and had the 3rd best TD to INT ratio in the league, after Sam Howell and Trevor Lawrence. In spite of being the most sacked QB in the country, he still managed to get almost 2400 yards in the air and one of only 7 P5 QB's to get at least 19 TD's with 5 or less INT's.

Overated Team- Virginia Tech.
This team just hasnt lived up to the hype the last 3 years. If they could start to deliver in the Coastal, the ACC would look a lot better with Clemson delivering in the Atlantic and VT delivering in the Coastal. Fuente is a good to great coach but he hasnt done much since his first season when he got to 10 wins. I havent watched this team close enough to know if its injuries or attrition or what. I know they lost some players a year or 2 ago. They may meet the hype this season depending on who is coming back. They seem to always have a good offense and a good defense, which VT is known for. I hope Fuente can put it all together this season.

Most Likely to Win The ACC- Clemson,
and its not close, unless Fuente and VT can get their act together. Dabo maybe a little goofy acting, but no one can question the guys coaching ability. He has built Clemson into a well oiled machine that just keeps on reloading rather than rebuilding. There arent many coaches that you can say that about.

Bowl Teams,
Clemson, Louisville, FSU, SU, VT, Pitt, UNC, Wake, NC State, Virginia, Duke and possibly Miami.
06-07-2020 07:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UofL
Regarding Syracuse, I didn't watch their late season games vs Duke or Wake Forest. I did see the Orange in person in Cardinal Stadium and I just had to look up the 2019 schedule to confirm my memory that the game was late in the season. 2nd to last game for Syracuse.

The game was basically over after the 1st quarter (21-3). I admit I didn't watch much of Syracuse last season but if that performance is part of the reason for positive energy in 2020, yikes.
06-07-2020 09:03 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Exclamation RE: 2020 Football Predictions
(06-07-2020 07:38 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  Overated Team- Virginia Tech.
This team just hasnt lived up to the hype the last 3 years. If they could start to deliver in the Coastal, the ACC would look a lot better with Clemson delivering in the Atlantic and VT delivering in the Coastal. Fuente is a good to great coach but he hasnt done much since his first season when he got to 10 wins. I havent watched this team close enough to know if its injuries or attrition or what. I know they lost some players a year or 2 ago. They may meet the hype this season depending on who is coming back. They seem to always have a good offense and a good defense, which VT is known for. I hope Fuente can put it all together this season.

Clearly you didn't watch very closely last season. After an admittedly slow start, the Hokies won 8 games - losing two of them on the last possession IIRC. Also, had they won the regular season finale against UVA, it would've been VT, not UVA, in the ACC CG... that's how close the Hokies were last year.

Now, that said, I don't think 8-5 is "good enough"; 10 wins should be the standard, IMO. The Hokies should've beaten both Notre Dame and Kentucky. They had no business losing to BC and Duke. UVA was good, but VT could've beaten them too. Chalk BC and Duke losses up to growing pains and they still should've finished the regular season 9-3 at worst (which, btw, would've clinched the Coastal regardless of the UVA game).

OTOH, there is a lot of coaching staff AND player turnover in Blacksburg, so... who knows?
06-07-2020 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators
(06-07-2020 09:03 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Regarding Syracuse, I didn't watch their late season games vs Duke or Wake Forest. I did see the Orange in person in Cardinal Stadium and I just had to look up the 2019 schedule to confirm my memory that the game was late in the season. 2nd to last game for Syracuse.

The game was basically over after the 1st quarter (21-3). I admit I didn't watch much of Syracuse last season but if that performance is part of the reason for positive energy in 2020, yikes.

That game is part of the reason that Im positive on next season, because it was one of the last 3 games. One thing I can say is, how a team starts a game can very often be the difference in the game. It was certainly true in that game. After getting behind 21-3 in the first qtr, SU hung with Louisville the rest of the game, and being outscored 35-31 the last 3 quarters. Louisville won the yardage game, 608 yds to 510 yds. SU also had more first downs. Louisville had more big plays, especially in the first when SU was overwhelmed until they found their footing. Also, SU had no business beating Wake, who won 8 games last season and performed better than SU all season.
06-07-2020 10:33 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Surprise Team: Cuseroc already covered Cuse. I think UNC can win 10 games in 2020. Mack has some juice left in the tank. Sam Howell could be the best QB in the league. The team has a few question marks and several tricky games. Good news is they get Rene back and play the Hokies at home. We'll learn a lot with the game at UCF. UNC should win by 10.

Overrated Team: Wake Forest. I think 4 or 5 wins or so is in store for them...maybe they sneak to 6. Several missing components. They could start 4-1 but that is Fool's Gold. The QB play will decide if they can struggle to 6. 2nd Choice UVA who I think sneaks to 6 wins

Most likely to win ACC: Clemson until proven wrong. The only way it doesn't happen is if the Coastal team plays great and Clemson has injuries going into the Title game.

Bowl Teams: Clemson, FSU, Ville, Cuse, NC St, UNC, Miami, VTech, Pitt and UVA

Bonus Prediction: Clemson sneaks in as #4 and loses in the semi-final round. Clemson will have 1 loss in the regular season.

Bonus Wildcard thoughts: Will Miami ever elevate under Diaz? He has the players does he have the coaching chops? FSU: could a negative (Norvell's lie) become a positive? If Dino has another losing season is he sitting on a very hot seat?
(This post was last modified: 06-08-2020 03:42 PM by TexanMark.)
06-08-2020 08:11 AM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-07-2020 06:30 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Surprise Team?

Overrated Team?

Most Likely to win ACC?

List Your Bowl Teams

Surprise team : Virginia Tech. I think Fuente is a good coach. He got off to a rocky start last year when he was gun shy about pushing the players to work because we lost 22 players in the off season in the transfer portal. After the Duke debacle, he fixed that and VT had a good season. Although they finished the season with 2 losses. His recruiting needs work but there's nothing wrong with his coaching.

Overrated Team : FSU. You have to be rated high to be overrated. I know nothing about FSU's team this year just basing it on the last 2 seasons when they were vastly overrated to start the season.

Most Likely to win ACC? : Duhhhhhhhhhh let me think about this one.... I'll go with Clemson. I won't explain why.

Bowl Teams : Cuse, Pitt, ND, Louisville, UVA, VT, UNC, Duke, Clemson, GT, Miami.

National Championship game : Clemson vs. Alabama. I know I'm really going out on a limb there but both teams have a lot to play for after not winning it this past year and LSU lost their entire team to the draft.

Michigan will not find it's way into a NY6 bowl.
Ohio State will find it's way into a NY6 probably CFP bowl.
06-11-2020 04:02 PM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-07-2020 10:33 PM)cuseroc Wrote:  
(06-07-2020 09:03 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  Regarding Syracuse, I didn't watch their late season games vs Duke or Wake Forest. I did see the Orange in person in Cardinal Stadium and I just had to look up the 2019 schedule to confirm my memory that the game was late in the season. 2nd to last game for Syracuse.

That game is part of the reason that Im positive on next season, because it was one of the last 3 games. One thing I can say is, how a team starts a game can very often be the difference in the game. It was certainly true in that game. After getting behind 21-3 in the first qtr, SU hung with Louisville the rest of the game, and being outscored 35-31 the last 3 quarters. Louisville won the yardage game, 608 yds to 510 yds. SU also had more first downs. Louisville had more big plays, especially in the first when SU was overwhelmed until they found their footing. Also, SU had no business beating Wake, who won 8 games last season and performed better than SU all season.

Fair enough. I don't know that much about what Syracuse is bringing back so I'm only seeing early projections of others.

I also wouldn't judge a team off one game, but the UofL-Cuse matchup was a lot of back and forth cruise control from both sides the final 45 minutes after it got out of hand early. I personally don't worry much about yardage, etc at that point.

To the detriment of the league's reputation but to the advantage of the Orange, most of the league had enough weak points that you can rise quickly in league standings with just solid improvement.
06-11-2020 04:37 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-11-2020 04:37 PM)CollegeCard Wrote:  

Fair enough. I don't know that much about what Syracuse is bringing back so I'm only seeing early projections of others.

I also wouldn't judge a team off one game, but the UofL-Cuse matchup was a lot of back and forth cruise control from both sides the final 45 minutes after it got out of hand early. I personally don't worry much about yardage, etc at that point.

To the detriment of the league's reputation but to the advantage of the Orange, most of the league had enough weak points that you can rise quickly in league standings with just solid improvement.

The biggest problem I have in seeing a massive improvement with Syracuse is the fact that they have done absolutely nothing to correct what was really their biggest problem last year: an undersized and not very athletic DL. They rarely got push up front, most of the pressure they generated came off blitzes and were horrible against the run (109th in the country), more often than not when I watched they were blown off the ball a lot by mediocre OLs, and were a big reason why they were 115th in defense last year. Unless there is major improvement there they are going to struggle because of the increased pressure Devito and the offense are going to face to keep up in shootouts and if Devito showed us anything last year he doesn't handle pressure very well.
06-11-2020 05:27 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(06-11-2020 05:27 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

The biggest problem I have in seeing a massive improvement with Syracuse is the fact that they have done absolutely nothing to correct what was really their biggest problem last year: an undersized and not very athletic DL. They rarely got push up front, most of the pressure they generated came off blitzes and were horrible against the run (109th in the country), more often than not when I watched they were blown off the ball a lot by mediocre OLs, and were a big reason why they were 115th in defense last year. Unless there is major improvement there they are going to struggle because of the increased pressure Devito and the offense are going to face to keep up in shootouts and if Devito showed us anything last year he doesn't handle pressure very well.

I think the BC/Cuse game tells the tale for Syracuse. If they beat BC, they have a shot at a bowl. If they lose - especially if they give up big rushing yards - they're just waiting for basketball season.
06-11-2020 07:05 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(06-11-2020 07:05 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I think the BC/Cuse game tells the tale for Syracuse. If they beat BC, they have a shot at a bowl. If they lose - especially if they give up big rushing yards - they're just waiting for basketball season.

I don't think that game one is going to tell us much of anything. BC is breaking in a new head coach with new philosophies on both sides of the ball and only five practices in spring camp, but if they can beat BC and with their absolutely pathetic OOC schedule if they don't get bowl eligible they should shut down the program and join UConn in the Big East.
06-11-2020 08:14 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

Exclamation RE: 2020 Football Predictions
I'm beginning to think Louisville might be the most overrated team. Here's why. In the article "Is Scott Satterfield the Bobby Petrino Antidote?" on BannerSociety, after breaking down how Bobby Petrino has a track record of destroying the culture at every program he's ever coached, they note the apparent quick fix by Satterfield last season and wonder if it's real:

Quote:The losses all make sense for a Year Zero program... - Notre Dame, Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Kentucky - were by double digits.

It’s even possible to explain away all eight of the Cards’ wins. Here’s how an opposing assistant coach did exactly that for me (when lightly prompted):
* 2 early wins over directional in-state programs...
* 4 shootout wins vs. mediocre NC State, Syracuse, Boston College and a decent Wake Forest... The average score of these games was 48-38 Louisville. “None of these teams had good defenses and all of them could score easily on UL. The margins against BC (41-39) and Wake (62-59) are both a drive’s difference.”
* A 28-21 comeback win over a very good Virginia team in late October, but: “It was in the rain, at home, Virginia’s still learning how to win every game they’re supposed to, and [UVA] turned the ball over on two [potential] touchdown drives. [Virginia quarterback Bryce] Perkins is a little shook in that game.”
* A 38-28 Music City Bowl win over Mississippi State. “Their linebacker broke their quarterback’s face in practice. I mean, come on. that staff was as good as fired. Not the same Mississippi State that put three first rounders in the Draft.”

Now look at Louisville's schedule this year:
Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 12 @ Clemson (L)
Sat Sep. 19 Murray State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 3 @ Syracuse (lean win?)
Sat Oct. 10 @ Boston College (toss up)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF
Sat Oct. 24 Florida State (toss up)
Sat Oct. 31 Virginia Tech (toss up)
Sat Nov. 7 @ Virginia (L)
Sat Nov. 14 Wake Forest (toss up)
Sat Nov. 21 @ Notre Dame (L)
Sat Nov. 28 Kentucky (lean loss)

I'm thinking 6-6 probably... if Satterfield really does get them to, say, 8-4, he just might be the super coach he's hyped to be... in which case, the Cards better lock him down ASAP.

Of course, I'm hoping both UL and VT have no more than 1 loss each when they play each other. We'll see.
06-12-2020 04:59 AM
Buckminster Fuller Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Wake Forest
(06-08-2020 08:11 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Surprise Team: Cuseroc already covered Cuse. I think UNC can win 10 games in 2020. Mack has some juice left in the tank. Sam Howell could be the best QB in the league. The team has a few question marks and several tricky games. Good news is they get Rene back and play the Hokies at home. We'll learn a lot with the game at UCF. UNC should win by 10.

Overrated Team: Wake Forest. I think 4 or 5 wins or so is in store for them...maybe they sneak to 6. Several missing components. They could start 4-1 but that is Fool's Gold. The QB play will decide if they can struggle to 6. 2nd Choice UVA who I think sneaks to 6 wins

Most likely to win ACC: Clemson until proven wrong. The only way it doesn't happen is if the Coastal team plays great and Clemson has injuries going into the Title game.

Bowl Teams: Clemson, FSU, Ville, Cuse, NC St, UNC, Miami, VTech, Pitt and UVA

Bonus Prediction: Clemson sneaks in as #4 and loses in the semi-final round. Clemson will have 1 loss in the regular season.

Bonus Wildcard thoughts: Will Miami ever elevate under Diaz? He has the players does he have the coaching chops? FSU: could a negative (Norvell's lie) become a positive? If Dino has another losing season is he sitting on a very hot seat?

Besides the "overrated" part, this is the pat pre-season prediction for Wake every year. Based on historical performance you are more likely to be right than wrong in making it. Their history under Clawson suggests they will find six wins somewhere. As for QB, remember Wake's QB this year is the same one that beat out Jamie Newman as the starter two years ago as a true freshman.
06-12-2020 05:20 AM
CollegeCard Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2020 04:59 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'm beginning to think Louisville might be the most overrated team. Here's why. In the article "Is Scott Satterfield the Bobby Petrino Antidote?" on BannerSociety, after breaking down how Bobby Petrino has a track record of destroying the culture at every program he's ever coached, they note the apparent quick fix by Satterfield last season and wonder if it's real:

Quote:The losses all make sense for a Year Zero program... - Notre Dame, Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Kentucky - were by double digits.

It’s even possible to explain away all eight of the Cards’ wins. Here’s how an opposing assistant coach did exactly that for me (when lightly prompted):
* 4 shootout wins vs. mediocre NC State, Syracuse, Boston College and a decent Wake Forest... The average score of these games was 48-38 Louisville. “None of these teams had good defenses and all of them could score easily on UL. The margins against BC (41-39) and Wake (62-59) are both a drive’s difference.”
* A 28-21 comeback win over a very good Virginia team in late October, but: “It was in the rain, at home, Virginia’s still learning how to win every game they’re supposed to, and [UVA] turned the ball over on two [potential] touchdown drives. [Virginia quarterback Bryce] Perkins is a little shook in that game.”
* A 38-28 Music City Bowl win over Mississippi State. “Their linebacker broke their quarterback’s face in practice. I mean, come on. that staff was as good as fired. Not the same Mississippi State that put three first rounders in the Draft.”

Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF

I'm thinking 6-6 probably... if Satterfield really does get them to, say, 8-4, he just might be the super coach he's hyped to be... in which case, the Cards better lock him down ASAP.

Of course, I'm hoping both UL and VT have no more than 1 loss each when they play each other. We'll see.

Louisville won two real close games last year (BC & WF, each by a FG). The assistant coach's take is a bit of a laugher however. Not sure why he lumped State (14 point win, Pack only scored 20) & Cuse (22 point win) together with the close games. It's basically, "If you change a few plays in every game they won by 2 TD's or less, Louisville goes 3-10". No ****, you can change W's to L's in a majority of games if you take away key plays that actually happened. Take the 28-21 win over UVA- UofL led the final 14 minutes of the game and was up 2 TD's late until UVA scored with 21 seconds left. He mentions rain. Did UofL turn the rain off when they had the ball? Excuses excuses… Guarantee that salty coach is someone who took a L last season.

Louisville's defense improved from historically atrocious to bad last season. Every P5 team they played scored nearly at will other than NC State and UVA. The 2021 recruiting looks better but there wasn't a huge talent influx on defense with the freshman class. However it will be the first time since 2016 that the D coordinator returns. I suspect you'll see solid improvement with the guys not learning a new system for the first time in 4 years. Realistically, you hope for explosive offense again and defense trending upwards towards average in year 2.

Expectations wise, no one expects anything magical with the defense but 100% of the fan base will be highly disappointed with 6-6. The schedule is back-loaded but I'll honestly be a bit disappointed with anything worse than 5-1 at the break even though that means two ACC road wins.
06-12-2020 02:00 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(06-12-2020 04:59 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  I'm beginning to think Louisville might be the most overrated team. Here's why. In the article "Is Scott Satterfield the Bobby Petrino Antidote?" on BannerSociety, after breaking down how Bobby Petrino has a track record of destroying the culture at every program he's ever coached, they note the apparent quick fix by Satterfield last season and wonder if it's real:

Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF
Sat Oct. 31 Virginia Tech (L)

FIFY
06-12-2020 04:09 PM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(06-12-2020 04:09 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(06-12-2020 04:59 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  look at Louisville's schedule this year:
Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF
Sat Oct. 31 Virginia Tech (L)

FIFY

03-2thumbsup
06-12-2020 06:58 PM
Advertisement

cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

I can definitely see how folks can come to that conclusion based off of last year. But those are the type of players that Babers likes to recruit, guys who maybe a little lighter but more mobile. I dont see them as "very unathletic." This was pretty much the same DL as the year before when they brought pressure on every OL they faced and had multiple sacks and pressures on every QB except at ND.

This type of DL works very well when everything else is working well. That was the problem last year, nothing worked well on offense with all those three and outs and sacks that left the opposing offense with very good field position. So the defense got tired during games because they didnt have time to rest. Once they were gassed, the lighter weight and mobility became a handicap and the opposing OL would just push them around and opening up huge holes. It was awful watching this week after week. SU lost to teams they should not have lost to like Maryland and NC State. But the last 3 games gave me hope for this season.

SU has a new DC this season as well as a new OC. As long as Babers is there, I dont worry as much about the offense. Im much more interested in seeing what the new DC does with his new schemes.
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2020 08:12 PM by cuseroc.)
06-12-2020 08:04 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Here is one of those unathletic DL Cuse has

06-13-2020 11:21 AM
ColumbusCard Offline
2nd String

I Root For: U of L

Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF

Of course, one could also say that it would be almost impossible to not improve upon defense considering the shoddy quality offered by last years brigade. And even with a terrible defense they still finished with 8 wins. Not trying to be a homer, but they have less holes than Syracuse and that team has already been mentioned numerous times as a sleeper team
06-15-2020 07:46 AM
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

(06-15-2020 07:46 AM)ColumbusCard Wrote:  

Thu Sep. 3 NC State (W)
Sat Sep. 26 WKU (W)
Sat Oct. 17 OFF

Of course, one could also say that it would be almost impossible to not improve upon defense considering the shoddy quality offered by last years brigade. And even with a terrible defense they still finished with 8 wins. Not trying to be a homer, but they have less holes than Syracuse and that team has already been mentioned numerous times as a sleeper team

Don't get me wrong - Louisville will be good, better than last year, I just think the media has put higher expectations on the Cardinals and there's a chance they win the same or fewer games in 2020.
06-15-2020 08:22 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.