Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Pac-14 is coming
shizzle787 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
A Pac-14 is coming
Everybody knows that there is going to be consolidation in the Power 5 and it is probably going to be a merger of the two most vulnerable conferences- the Pac 12 and Big 12. When realignment started everybody thought 16 was going to be the magic number for power conferences but it turns out it is really 14- just look at the SEC, Big 10, and ACC.

Without further ado,

Coastal- Washington, Oregon, Utah, UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford
Southwestern- Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Oklahoma, Kansas, OSU, Texas Tech

Lost out: Arizona State, West Virginia, Oregon State, Washington State,
Iowa State, Kansas State, TCU, Baylor

Texas will be in charge with USC and Oklahoma battling for the #2 spot as far as power. There will be unequal power sharing and the Pac 12 schools will go for it because the brand is struggling due to weak basketball and a lack of CFP participants in football. Texas and Oklahoma benefit because they get access to California recruiting and their level of competition increases in both brand and history.
05-31-2020 05:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
RE: A Pac-14 is coming
(05-31-2020 05:17 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Everybody knows that there is going to be consolidation in the Power 5 and it is probably going to be a merger of the two most vulnerable conferences- the Pac 12 and Big 12. When realignment started everybody thought 16 was going to be the magic number for power conferences but it turns out it is really 14- just look at the SEC, Big 10, and ACC.

Without further ado,

Texas will be in charge with USC and Oklahoma battling for the #2 spot as far as power. There will be unequal power sharing and the Pac 12 schools will go for it because the brand is struggling due to weak basketball and a lack of CFP participants in football. Texas and Oklahoma benefit because they get access to California recruiting and their level of competition increases in both brand and history.

Let us know when you wake up.
05-31-2020 05:23 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Right idea, wrong institutions.

The correct answer is UC San Diego and Hawaii.
05-31-2020 05:43 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Clickbait title, fanfic post
05-31-2020 05:54 PM
clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
(05-31-2020 05:17 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Everybody knows that there is going to be consolidation in the Power 5 and it is probably going to be a merger of the two most vulnerable conferences- the Pac 12 and Big 12. When realignment started everybody thought 16 was going to be the magic number for power conferences but it turns out it is really 14- just look at the SEC, Big 10, and ACC.

Without further ado,

Good luck convincing the California schools of that
05-31-2020 05:55 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I want some of whatever he's smoking.
05-31-2020 06:03 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
Separate Arizona State from Arizona, Oregon State from Oregon, and Washington State from Washington? As much as I despise those Tempe devils, this would still be a big fat "No".

05-nono
05-31-2020 06:25 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

Without further ado,

Is this considered humorous? Texas has won three Big 12 football conference championships in 24 years, the last one in 2009. They can't even dominate the Big 12. Maybe as a UConn fan, you should stick to basketball. My advice to you...don't do drugs.
05-31-2020 08:39 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
First off, I don’t see Texas and Oklahoma going west but if they were:

PAC 12 - Wash St - Ore St + Texlahoma 4 + TCU + Baylor

Pod 1: Ore, Wash, Ariz, Ariz St
Pod 2: Cal, Stanford, USC, UCLA
Pod 3: Utah, Colorado, Okla, Ok St
Pod 4: Texas, TTU, Baylor, TCU

I think this would make all of these schools more money, but not SEC and Big Ten money.

Texas gets their entourage; the California schools get all of their buddies.
05-31-2020 08:59 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
(05-31-2020 05:43 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  Right idea, wrong institutions.

This isn't crazy. I think this is far more likely than many understand.

North: Washington, Washington St, Oregon, Oregon St, Utah, Colorado, Arizona St
South: California, Stanford, USC, UCLA, UCSD, Arizona, Hawaii

Only permanent crossover: Arizona/Arizona St
05-31-2020 09:29 PM
HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
When the next big realignment wave comes I think it will look a lot like what the OP posted. All that needs to happen is a P5 version of the MWC's formation.

As the cream of the Pac-12 and Big 12 continue to fall further behind the Big 10 and SEC they'll feel growing pressure to respond with an airport meeting. Under current NCAA rules it only takes eight FBS schools to form a new FBS conference and there's no requirement for them to have shared conference membership in the past. If the four California schools along with Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado and Kansas were to join forces to make the leap, they could cherry pick whatever other schools they wanted from the remnants of their respective conferences and those schools wouldn't dare say no.

It wouldn't matter that Washington didn't want to leave Washington State behind or that Oregon didn't want to leave Oregon State behind. Faced with an ultimatum to join as standalone members or not at all, they would join. Utah would be a logical bridge member. The last three invitations could go to some combination of Arizona, Arizona State, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

The renegotiation of the CFP agreement isn't far down the road and could act as the trigger event.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2020 09:39 PM by HawaiiMongoose.)
05-31-2020 09:39 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiMongoose Offline
All American

I Root For: Hawaii
(05-31-2020 09:29 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  

I'd like to think so but realistically Hawaii would need to increase its endowment by at least half a billion dollars to even be in the conversation.
05-31-2020 11:02 PM
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability

So far, I don't see any concrete evidence of UCSD wanting to go up to FBS. They don't even have a football team right now. Maybe somebody has a hold of a super-secret plan to get one started again but I don't see it. 03-shhhh

Otherwise, any football fans in the area will likely root for San Diego State, now that the Chargers have left.

Now if the PAC wants UCSD as a non-football member then that's a whole different matter.
05-31-2020 11:05 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(05-31-2020 11:05 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

So far, I don't see any concrete evidence of UCSD wanting to go up to FBS. They don't even have a football team right now. Maybe somebody has a hold of a super-secret plan to get one started again but I don't see it. 03-shhhh

Otherwise, any football fans in the area will likely root for San Diego State, now that the Chargers have left.

Now if the PAC wants UCSD as a non-football member then that's a whole different matter.

No plans to start football, but if you told their chancellor doing so would guarantee them a ticket then they'd find a way.

Even without football, UCSD mostly passes the smell test. Academic rankings, location, student enrollment, financial endowment, they look like a Pac institution.

But the Pac doesn't expand by odd numbers. UCSD will need another new member. Enter Hawaii, a flagship institution.
05-31-2020 11:13 PM
clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
(05-31-2020 11:13 PM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(05-31-2020 11:05 PM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

No plans to start football, but if you told their chancellor doing so would guarantee them a ticket then they'd find a way.

Even without football, UCSD mostly passes the smell test. Academic rankings, location, student enrollment, financial endowment, they look like a Pac institution.

But the Pac doesn't expand by odd numbers. UCSD will need another new member. Enter Hawaii, a flagship institution.

If UC-San Diego ever made that jump I expect that UC-Davis wouldn't be too far behind them.
06-01-2020 12:12 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

Gaucho, give it a rest. You would have a better shot with UCSB football. Everyone knows that there is no money for football, no stadium for football and no interest for football. There is no way the Pac-12 is ever going to consider UCSD.
https://triton.news/2019/02/stop-talking...e-useless/

"Whether UCSD should have a football team has been a question since UCSD had a football team. The UCSD football team’s first and only season came in 1968. The NCAA squad posted an astounding 0–7 record, which included capitulating to the team that—at the time—held the longest winless streak in all of American college football."
06-01-2020 12:37 AM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Is it a UCSD thing or a SD thing? Cuz SDSU makes sense as a market.
06-01-2020 12:47 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

(06-01-2020 12:37 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Gaucho, give it a rest. You would have a better shot with UCSB football. Everyone knows that there is no money for football, no stadium for football and no interest for football. There is no way the Pac-12 is ever going to consider UCSD.

"Whether UCSD should have a football team has been a question since UCSD had a football team. The UCSD football team’s first and only season came in 1968. The NCAA squad posted an astounding 0–7 record, which included capitulating to the team that—at the time—held the longest winless streak in all of American college football."

Selling the egghead elites on a Cal State is going to be tough, Bobcat. Last glance it was those chancellors and university presidents who make the final call, not athletic directors.
06-01-2020 12:56 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(06-01-2020 12:56 AM)jdgaucho Wrote:  
(06-01-2020 12:37 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  

Selling the egghead elites on a Cal State is going to be tough, Bobcat. Last glance it was those chancellors and university presidents who make the final call, not athletic directors.

Who said the Pac-12 wants to expand? They don't, but if Texas and Oklahoma wanted to join, then yes, they would expand. The Pac-12 is not going to invite any Cal State schools and they don't need anymore California schools. The only expansion that makes sense for the Pac-12 is in Austin, Texas. I don't think that is ever going to happen.
06-01-2020 01:07 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-31-2020 05:17 PM)shizzle787 Wrote:  Everybody knows that there is going to be consolidation in the Power 5 and it is probably going to be a merger of the two most vulnerable conferences- the Pac 12 and Big 12.

Note that from commentators to this thread, it would appear that not everyone knows this, and indeed a majority likely do not believe this.

One thing that is crystal clear is that a "merger" that involves kicking schools from both conferences to the curb would not actually be a merger, it would be the formation of a new conference.

This would be, after all, a conference which would not have to worry about its champion getting an autobid, since in almost any scenario it would get a bid in any event.

Then the left behinds still in the PAC-12 and Big-12 would dismantle much of the MWC as well in the Big-12 case raiding the AAC in an effort to make the most of the situation.

While still unlikely, that would at any rate feasible if enough of the prospective members wanted to go that route (which itself is open to question).

Getting the PAC-12 to vote on kicking a large number of its members to the curb is not: indeed, kicking out three in the Pac-12 would need either 8 or 9 members supporting (depending on where their supermajority is set) and its highly unlikely this plan would be supported by Washington, Oregon or Arizona. And if the by-laws include due cause for kicking a school out, "not worth enough money in the media contract" doesn't count as due cause.

The OP is yet another in a long line of "Playing Realignment Risk" posts that neglect the fact that a conference can not act like a commerical corporation with the schools as wholly owned subsidiaries, but is rather a member owned, member controlled co-op.
06-01-2020 05:02 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.