Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Bring on the Power 4
Realignment talk is heating up again.

Mike Farrell • Rivals.com
Recruiting Director
@rivalsmike

BRING ON THE 'POWER FOUR'
And finally today, are you tired of crappy out-of-conference games? Are you sick and tired of the Big 12 always falling short overall compared to the other Power Five conferences when it comes to quantity of teams. I have a solution. It’s called the Power Four, and here’s how it works.

The Big 12 is gone. See ya. There will be three 16-team conferences and one 17-team conference (thanks Notre Dame) and the winner of each conference goes to the playoff. All games are in conference every year with the only one per year game exception that allows for games against other Power Five schools. After all, we still want to see Notre Dame-USC and others, right? But what about the Group of Five? Sorry, you will have to pull a UCF and go undefeated to miss the playoff. Let’s be real, a Group of Five team isn’t going to make the playoff anyhow.

Here are the four conferences:

THE BIG 16

East: Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana. Add Kansas State from the Big 12.

West: Wisconsin, Northwestern, Nebraska, Illinois, Iowa, Minnesota, Purdue. Add Iowa State from the Big 12.

My take: This doesn’t change much in the Big Ten, but Iowa State and Iowa can continue their rivalry and Kansas State would make some waves here and there.

SEC

East: Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Missouri. Add Kansas from the Big 12.

West: Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Texas A&M, Arkansas. Add Texas Tech from the Big 12.

My take: Poor Kansas and poor Texas Tech, but no need to add more power to the conference right?

ACC

Coastal: Miami, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Pitt, Georgia Tech, Duke, North Carolina. Add West Virginia from the Big 12.

Atlantic: Clemson, Florida State, Syracuse, NC State, Boston College, Louisville, Wake Forest. Add TCU from the Big 12 and Notre Dame.

My take: West Virginia would be great in the Coastal and would get that Pitt rivalry going on the field and in recruiting. TCU would cause some problems, and Notre Dame in the same division as Clemson would be awesome.

PAC-16

North: Oregon, Oregon State, Cal, Stanford, Washington State, Washington. Colorado moves to North. Baylor moves from Big 12.

South: USC, Utah, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA. Texas, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State added from Big 12.

My take: Moving Colorado north makes sense with so many south-central teams coming in. The South would be amazing with USC, Texas and Oklahoma all battling at the top, along with other quality teams like Utah and Arizona State.

Smart? Stupid? Otherwise? I know it’s impossible and won’t happen, but it sure is fun to imagine it. The ACC and the Pac-16 would certainly be much more interesting than they are now. This isn’t life-altering by any means, but every game would be at least interesting, and we’d have no more padded scores and stats from wins over San Jose State, Wofford and others.
05-28-2020 07:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
RE: Bring on the Power 4
Not going to happen
05-28-2020 07:44 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
This article is what we call a brainfart. There’s no actual information or journalism — it’s just one writer’s fanfic. And message boards do fanfics better than him.
05-28-2020 07:45 AM
Advertisement

TerryD Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Clickbait and dumb.
05-28-2020 09:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I stopped reading after I saw Kansas State to the B1G. I should have stopped reading after reading that all games are conference games per year, with one OOC power game (so ND can play USC and such).
05-28-2020 09:36 AM
Advertisement

Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
I think we may see 20 team conference that are actually two 10 team conferences combined.

ACC (+Old Big East/American) More regional games for move tv eyeballs on streaming and increasing game day ticket sales

NORTH
Boston College
Syracuse
Temple
Pitt
Navy* (Georgetown)
West Virginia
Louisville
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Miami

SOUTH
Virginia
Virginia Tech
North Carolina
Wake Forest
Duke
NC State
ECU
Clemson
Georgia Tech
Florida State

SEC + Big 12 old SWC
EAST
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Kentucky
Auburn
Alabama
Ole Miss
Mississippi State

WEST
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas A&M
Texas
TCU
Baylor
Texas Tech
Houston

Big Ten + (Big 8 + Eastern Indys/Big East)
EAST
Rutgers
Penn State
Maryland
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern

WEST
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa State
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas
Kansas State
Colorado
Colorado State

PAC-16
NORTH
Washington
Washington State
Oregon
Oregon State
Boise State
Utah
Cal
Stanford

SOUTH
USC
UCLA
San Diego State
Hawaii
Arizona
Arizona State
New Mexico
UNLV

Big 16 or so left overs with:
UCF
South Florida
Memphis
Tulane
UAB
Rice
SMU
Tulsa
BYU
Liberty
Air Force
Army
Wyoming, etc.
UCF/USF/SMU/Memphis could be swap in for ACC/SEC teams just showing example. BYU and Liberty may have issues with academia and could be a major impact for them.

Most Likely 4 major conferences and then an indy composing of the following based how the dominoes fall:
UCF
USF
ECU
Memphis
Temple
Notre Dame
Army
Navy
Air Force
BYU
Liberty
Tulane
UAB
Appalachian State, etc
I think the MAC and some sun belt / cusa schools would move down a two a new level and the teams that can be indy and get a good streaming deal will be indy playing more of a national schedule and hoping for an at-large spot in playoff.
05-28-2020 10:01 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
Let's get rid of fake classes instead.
05-28-2020 11:39 AM
Advertisement

ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
While this is just one man's fantasy, and will never happen, it is an interesting strategy. It seems to be based on the idea that the best way to do realignment is to make everybody unhappy, so nobody "wins" and everybody "loses" roughly the same amount. This seems to accomplish that for the most part, though Notre Dame, Texas and Oklahoma may feel they are being asked to suffer the most pain.
05-28-2020 12:22 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Lol at Kansas State to the Big Ten.
05-28-2020 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Thiefery Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TEXAS
Farrell is an idiot, it is known. I needed a heads up so I could have put on my oven gloves before touching that hot take.
05-28-2020 01:42 PM
BePcr07 Offline
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
"Power 4 (3+1) ish" would be my guess.

PAC
North: Colorado, Oregon, Oregon St, Utah, Washington, Washington St
West: Arizona, Arizona St, California, Stanford, UCLA, USC
Central: Kansas, Kansas St, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Texas, Texas Tech

B1G
West: Iowa, Iowa St, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Wisconsin
North: Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio St, Purdue
East: Duke, Maryland, Michigan St, North Carolina, Penn St, Virginia

SEC
West: Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Texas A&M
South: Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, South Carolina, Tennessee
East: Clemson, Florida St, Georgia Tech, Miami, North Carolina St, Virginia Tech

METRO
West: Baylor, BYU*, Houston, SMU, TCU, Memphis
South: Central Florida, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest
North: Boston College, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple, West Virginia
*Football-only
**Notre Dame: non-football member
05-28-2020 02:41 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
The ONLY changes I'd make

KU to the B1G
TCU to the SEC

otherwise this is perfect!
05-28-2020 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.