Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BoT expected to cut baseball
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
BoT expected to cut baseball
There’s an agenda item for the Board of Trustees meeting tomorrow regarding FY 21 Sport Sponsorship.
It’s being reported that baseball will be eliminated..

05-17-2020 02:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
RE: BoT expected to cut baseball
(05-17-2020 02:47 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  There’s an agenda item for the Board of Trustees meeting tomorrow regarding FY 21 Sport Sponsorship.
It’s being reported that baseball will be eliminated..

Withdrawing from the WAC in T-Minus 10, 9, 8, 7.......
05-17-2020 03:30 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
If baseball goes, wouldn't one or more women's teams have to go with it to balance the scholarship counts (i.e. Title IX)?
05-17-2020 06:35 PM
joshadam84 Offline

(05-17-2020 06:35 PM)gleadley Wrote:  If baseball goes, wouldn't one or more women's teams have to go with it to balance the scholarship counts (i.e. Title IX)?

It depends.. I know their student population is approximately 68% female to 32% male.. so this would bring the numbers a little more in line to the student pop.

However, they’d be losing out on tuition from a lot of students— typically 28 on a team. I think if they focused on a regional only schedule that would help immensely..
05-17-2020 07:29 PM
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
(05-17-2020 07:29 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 06:35 PM)gleadley Wrote:  If baseball goes, wouldn't one or more women's teams have to go with it to balance the scholarship counts (i.e. Title IX)?

It depends.. I know their student population is approximately 68% female to 32% male.. so this would bring the numbers a little more in line to the student pop.

However, they’d be losing out on tuition from a lot of students— typically 28 on a team. I think if they focused on a regional only schedule that would help immensely..

This is undoubtedly correct, but there is nothing regional when it comes to conference play in the WAC for Chicago St. Do you think this reality may eventually lead to more dramatic changes for Chicago St. in the future?
05-18-2020 10:52 AM
joshadam84 Offline

(05-18-2020 10:52 AM)gleadley Wrote:  
(05-17-2020 07:29 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  

This is undoubtedly correct, but there is nothing regional when it comes to conference play in the WAC for Chicago St. Do you think this reality may eventually lead to more dramatic changes for Chicago St. in the future?

Sorry, failed to add “non-conference” in there regarding the schedule!

It’s possible if the current athletic department fails to generate donors and sponsorships. I know they seem to be aggressively making changes in staff, and seem to have a wealth of experience so I’m optimistic. But, I know it’s an issue on the schools FY 21-22 Budget plan .. again. https://www.csu.edu/financialaffairs/ubc...1-2022.pdf

I still think it’s premature to be cutting sports because the cost savings isn’t as true as the “600k” or whatever is spent on the program. Once you take away tuition, camp revenue, and whatever road subsidies they may receive.. it’ll likely be a small savings.. one that could be made up elsewhere. Give the chance for the athletic department do their job and see what they can do.
05-18-2020 11:22 AM
holybovine Online
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
This breaks my heart.
05-25-2020 10:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.