Advertisement

Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
RE: Bowling Green eliminates baseball
Sorry to hear the news.
05-15-2020 01:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
What kind of bullshyt is this!? The MAC's foundation is premised on football, basketball, and baseball! I hope the players raise some hell about this decision!
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020 03:28 PM by CHIPPEWA ENEMA.)
05-15-2020 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CHIPPEWA ENEMA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CMU CHIPPEWAS

Crappies
And if they're going to eliminate baseball, a muff-diving sport should be eliminated as well!
05-15-2020 03:34 PM
Flat Tire 2 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
I read an article on BGSU's baseball program and it has a nice history. I believe the BG AD was a former BG baseball player. Sad.
05-15-2020 04:47 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Sad, but I think baseball is an expensive sport because of all the long road trips to the sun belt in February.
05-15-2020 04:59 PM
Advertisement

Schadenfreude Online
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(05-15-2020 04:59 PM)emu steve Wrote:  Sad, but I think baseball is an expensive sport because of all the long road trips to the sun belt in February.

Fielding a nationally competitive baseball team is an uphill battle in the Great Lakes. A difficult decision, but probably the right one. Alumni would have been far more angry if hockey had been cut.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020 07:57 PM by Schadenfreude.)
05-15-2020 06:25 PM
LongtimeFan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
So sad. Orel Hershiser must be in mourning.
05-15-2020 07:25 PM
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
He’s made enough money and still has enough he could kick up his donations and fundraising efforts to save the team.
05-15-2020 08:15 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-15-2020 03:27 PM)CHIPPEWA ENEMA Wrote:  What kind of bullshyt is this!? The MAC's foundation is premised on football, basketball, and baseball! I hope the players raise some hell about this decision!
Clearly they relaxed from what was at one time a conference rule when they allowed Akron to drop baseball.

They should slide the CWS into July, with conference tournaments in the second half of June, to allow the the season to start two weeks later.

However, note that with the MAC tournament being cancelled, if the MAC season is moved to end when the tournament would have normally ended, that would allow MAC schools to start their baseball season later ... which actually WOULD save a substantial amount of money, because the first 3/4 weeks are entirely on the road because it's too damn early for spring baseball in the Great Lakes states.
05-16-2020 04:29 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(05-16-2020 04:29 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-15-2020 03:27 PM)CHIPPEWA ENEMA Wrote:  What kind of bullshyt is this!? The MAC's foundation is premised on football, basketball, and baseball! I hope the players raise some hell about this decision!
Clearly they relaxed from what was at one time a conference rule when they allowed Akron to drop baseball.

They should slide the CWS into July, with conference tournaments in the second half of June, to allow the the season to start two weeks later.

However, note that with the MAC tournament being cancelled, if the MAC season is moved to end when the tournament would have normally ended, that would allow MAC schools to start their baseball season later ... which actually WOULD save a substantial amount of money, because the first 3/4 weeks are entirely on the road because it's too damn early for spring baseball in the Great Lakes states.

Yes, yes, yes...

Although MLB probably weighs heavily in getting the CWS over and those draftees signed and doing short season ball.

Quite frankly I wish the NCAA would drop a number of games, say 10 and start the season two weeks later.

The MAC could start their OOC games in places like KY, So. Indiana, Cincy, Huntington, etc. which are bus rides with nicer weather.

Maybe other schools in cities like Lexington, L'ville, Evansville, Huntington, etc. could also host 6 team 3 day series.

How about Miami hosting an OOC series of games. Maybe 3 games each day, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Three MAC teams and 3 OOC teams.
(This post was last modified: 05-16-2020 09:36 AM by emu steve.)
05-16-2020 09:28 AM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(05-16-2020 09:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Although MLB probably weighs heavily in getting the CWS over and those draftees signed and doing short season ball.

Just pushing the finals into 4th of July Weekend would gain a week ... combined with the MAC cancelling the double elimination championship tournament would gain two weeks.

Two weeks not spent on the road in the Sunbelt would be a substantial savings.

And with no double elimination tournament experience at the end of the season, it might be nice to have some double elimination play at the beginning. It would be interesting whether, say, MTSU and WKU would be willing to play host to five MAC schools each in a pre-conference season tournament, with consolation games for the first eliminated to guarantee a minimum of three games ... it would be good for the motel and restaurant trade in both Bowling Green and Murfreesburo, and they are close enough together for consolation games for first and second round losers to cross over.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 05:46 AM by BruceMcF.)
05-17-2020 12:10 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(05-17-2020 12:10 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-16-2020 09:28 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Although MLB probably weighs heavily in getting the CWS over and those draftees signed and doing short season ball.

Just pushing the finals into 4th of July Weekend would gain a week ... combined with the MAC cancelling the double elimination championship tournament would gain two weeks.

Two weeks not spent on the road in the Sunbelt would be a substantial savings.

And with no double elimination tournament experience at the end of the season, it might be nice to have some double elimination play at the beginning. It would be interesting whether, say, MTSU and WKU would be willing to play host to five MAC schools each in a pre-conference season tournament, with consolation games for the first eliminated to guarantee a minimum of three games ... it would be good for the motel and restaurant trade in both Bowling Green and Murfreesburo, and they are close enough together for consolation games for first and second round losers to cross over.
[/quote]

Yep. Any early season play where the average temp is say 10 - 15 degrees warmer than say Detroit or CLE and a (long) bus ride away works.

I've LONG wondered about what MAC teams spend in Feb. on those trips down south.

This is the 2018 EMU schedule. The team plays Feb 16 - March 4 down south. Comes back up north and then heads out again.

Totally brutal in terms of academics, travel, expenses, etc.

https://emueagles.com/sports/baseball/schedule/2018
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2020 07:20 AM by emu steve.)
05-18-2020 07:15 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(05-18-2020 07:15 AM)emu steve Wrote:  This is the 2018 EMU schedule. The team plays Feb 16 - March 4 down south. Comes back up north and then heads out again.

And when they come back north, they play Away at Dayton. 20 straight away games scheduled (two cancelled) before their first home game, which is a conference game.

Trim out the first two weeks, one from the season sliding one week later and the other starting the MAC conference season a week further into the NCAA season, that cuts 9 away games off the 20 away game stretch, and allows them to open at home in an OOC series.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2020 05:59 AM by BruceMcF.)
05-20-2020 05:56 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(05-20-2020 05:56 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(05-18-2020 07:15 AM)emu steve Wrote:  This is the 2018 EMU schedule. The team plays Feb 16 - March 4 down south. Comes back up north and then heads out again.

And when they come back north, they play Away at Dayton. 20 straight away games scheduled (two cancelled) before their first home game, which is a conference game.

Trim out the first two weeks, one from the season sliding one week later and the other starting the MAC conference season a week further into the NCAA season, that cuts 9 away games off the 20 away game stretch, and allows them to open at home in an OOC series.

Agree. MAC baseball can be saved but the current arrangement is brutal in terms of competitiveness and a financial killer.
05-20-2020 07:28 AM
thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Get rid of this thread! BG baseball is back!

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/bgsu/...0200602125
06-03-2020 07:52 AM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Online
Legend

I Root For:
(06-03-2020 07:52 AM)thanksjim Wrote:  Get rid of this thread! BG baseball is back!

04-cheers

04-bow
Back to the drill:
B-G-S-U-C...
06-03-2020 08:12 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(06-03-2020 07:52 AM)thanksjim Wrote:  Get rid of this thread! BG baseball is back!

Compared to Akron's process, I must say it's a lot more convenient to restart the program before it's actually been shut down.
06-04-2020 03:55 AM
kreed5120 Online
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(06-04-2020 03:55 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

Compared to Akron's process, I must say it's a lot more convenient to restart the program before it's actually been shut down.

I've seen posters on Akron's board say the program has something in the neighborhood of 3 scholarships. It really didn't matter what process they taken when they're offering that few scholarships.
06-04-2020 09:22 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

(06-04-2020 09:22 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(06-04-2020 03:55 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  

I've seen posters on Akron's board say the program has something in the neighborhood of 3 scholarships. It really didn't matter what process they taken when they're offering that few scholarships.

Supporters want more scholarship players, they can endow more scholarships.

It wouldn't be surprising if none of those were full rides ... four half rides and four quarter rides are 3 FTE.
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2020 03:29 AM by BruceMcF.)
06-05-2020 03:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.