Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
The Covid Effect
Bookmark and Share
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I Root For: On Ye Tarleton!
The Covid Effect
The CSU System just suspended Fall semester in-person instruction. Here's an article about how it may have a ripple effect for other athletic programs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co...121272001/

I admit, I didn't think we'd be in this position by Fall. Tarleton announced last week they are committing to re-opening all campuses for face-to-face instruction, but its subject to change. What are the other schools' positions? Do you think we will see all, some, or none of the sports in the WAC this Fall? It will be Tarleton and Dixie's inaugural season, which kinda sucks.

Tarleton State:
https://fortworthbusiness.com/education/...-semester/
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2020 10:52 PM by Itinerant Texan.)
05-12-2020 08:37 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
The Covid Effect
MAC announces they are cutting some conference championship events and reducing the field for others

https://www.wtol.com/amp/article/sports/...ssion=true
05-12-2020 10:35 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
RE: The Covid Effect
(05-12-2020 08:37 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  The CSU System just suspended Fall semester in-person instruction. Here's an article about how it may have a ripple effect for other athletic programs:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/co...121272001/

I admit, I didn't think we'd be in this position by Fall. Tarleton announced last week they are committed to re-opening all campuses. What are your schools' position for Fall re-opening? Do you think we will see all of our Fall sports seasons in the WAC?

Tarleton State:
https://fortworthbusiness.com/education/...-semester/

GCU's president stated recently that there is actually a lot of pressure coming from student and parent advisory boards to return to campus in the Fall. It looks like GCU is on track for face-to-face instruction in the Fall semester, perhaps with some significant modifications.

Some of the ideas include splitting classes that meet multiple times weekly into smaller groups of students. By doing so, you could have just half or a third of the class attend lectures in-person any given day of the week while everyone else remotely logs into the lecture. Professors would also transition to virtual office hours. There was also talk of leveraging the Phoenix weather from mid-October through April and moving instruction to outdoor meeting areas if/when possible.

Most relevant to our conversations here is the past about large group gatherings. For GCU, that's things like weekly chapels and Athletics events. It sounds like there is still a lot that is up in the air to be decided in the next 90 days, but it sounds like word out of NCAA President's meetings is to expect athletic events with no fans in attendance for at least the entire Fall semester.
05-12-2020 10:55 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

05-13-2020 08:56 AM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(05-13-2020 08:56 AM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  As expected....
https://goccaa.org/news/2020/5/12/genera...-2020.aspx

So, that includes the D2 schools in California. What will happen with the UC system and major private schools? How about the community colleges.
05-13-2020 02:07 PM
PojoaquePosse Offline
Blowhard

I Root For: NMSU
I don't care if the sporting events have no fans. I am just hoping to be able to watch sports. But safety first, education second, sports a distant third...
05-13-2020 03:11 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

(05-13-2020 03:11 PM)PojoaquePosse Wrote:  I don't care if the sporting events have no fans. I am just hoping to be able to watch sports. But safety first, education second, sports a distant third...

Fans, schmans...just gimme some friggin' sports to watch! The idea of possibly having no college football this year has got me all balled up inside. So basically, if your school is not having in-person instruction, you won't be playing anything this Fall, according to Emmert.
05-13-2020 05:00 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(05-13-2020 02:07 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  

So, that includes the D2 schools in California. What will happen with the UC system and major private schools? How about the community colleges.
They're already done. TcU and Bama were supposed to open the schedules against USC AND UCLA. Supposedly those games are off and they are trying to schedule eachother.

There are thoughts that the entire west coast will call it.

My question is for the GCU fans,
If the PAC decides to cancel sports or pressure ASU or UofA into cancelling, do you think GCU follows suit?

Cal Baptist fans?
05-13-2020 06:28 PM
Lopes87 Offline
1st String

Im not sure UA or ASU will call it. I know UW and WSU in Washington are expecting students in August for WSU and September for UW.
05-13-2020 07:46 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(05-13-2020 06:28 PM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 02:07 PM)NotANewbie Wrote:  

They're already done. TcU and Bama were supposed to open the schedules against USC AND UCLA. Supposedly those games are off and they are trying to schedule eachother.

There are thoughts that the entire west coast will call it.

My question is for the GCU fans,
If the PAC decides to cancel sports or pressure ASU or UofA into cancelling, do you think GCU follows suit?

Cal Baptist fans?

As a private University, GCU does not answer to the same primary governing body as the State institutions (i.e. Arizona Board of Regents). I think GCU will end up taking their lead from Arizona's governor, the NCAA, and/or state and federal public health officials. What ASU or U of Arizona do or don't do are largely irrelevant to GCU.
05-13-2020 10:20 PM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

I think we know where ASU grad Ducey is leaning...
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/20...121491001/
05-13-2020 10:26 PM
Advertisement

gleadley Offline
1st String

(05-13-2020 10:26 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  I think we know where ASU grad Ducey is leaning...

He'll happily kill as many people as it takes to get the economy going again. That's just the kind of giver Duce is.
05-13-2020 11:07 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(05-13-2020 11:07 PM)gleadley Wrote:  
(05-13-2020 10:26 PM)Itinerant Texan Wrote:  I think we know where ASU grad Ducey is leaning...

He'll happily kill as many people as it takes to get the economy going again. That's just the kind of giver Duce is.

Greasing the wheels of the industrial machine with the bodies of our old and predisposed. Yes, I live in AZ.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2020 08:42 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-14-2020 08:36 AM
Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

Dixie, Tarleton and even NMSU are in the same boat on this; trying to play an indepedent schedule all over the country..

https://www.thespectrum.com/story/sports...118573001/
05-14-2020 08:56 AM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

Leadley, I have always had great respect for you; however, this comment was beneath you. I know I'll get flack for being negative on here, but to accuse an elected governor of happily wanting to kill anyone is just plain wrong (not to mention incorrect). I know you jest sometimes so I will assume this was all in jest. Please stick with WAC athletics. You are very knowledgeable in that area.
05-14-2020 02:46 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(05-14-2020 02:46 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  

Leadley, I have always had great respect for you; however, this comment was beneath you. I know I'll get flack for being negative on here, but to accuse an elected governor of happily wanting to kill anyone is just plain wrong (not to mention incorrect). I know you jest sometimes so I will assume this was all in jest. Please stick with WAC athletics. You are very knowledgeable in that area.

Did you just "shut up and dribble" me? That hurts, Prof.
05-14-2020 03:17 PM
Advertisement

Itinerant Texan Offline
Shot Caller

Man, you gotta lighten up. Of course he was only kidding. Governor "just took a" Ducey would never do anything selfish or immoral to pad his numbers. That's crazy talk
05-14-2020 04:13 PM
ProfScott Offline
Special Teams

(05-14-2020 03:17 PM)gleadley Wrote:  

Did you just "shut up and dribble" me? That hurts, Prof.
Clever deflection. So you do not think your word choice was wrong? These are very difficult times. Government and college administrators are being forced to make very difficult choices. We can (and should) argue for or against their policy decisions. However, to accuse any leader of wanting to "happily kill" people is just an emotional argument and not helpful. So when Brian Mueller reopens GCU are we going to say the same thing about him?
I, along with many on this board, have great respect for you. I am just stating that this particular comment was beneath you. I would have even let it go but Pistol (another well respected person on this site) jumped on the bandwagon and I feared it would start a flood of similar responses.
(This post was last modified: 05-14-2020 10:52 PM by ProfScott.)
05-14-2020 10:50 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

It wasn't intended as a deflection. Nobody likes "stick with" guy, Prof, and I just found that type of comment to be beneath you. Also, based on your follow up remarks, it sure doesn't seem like you want me to just stick with WAC athletics.

Not that you or anyone else is owed an explanation, but until I hear from independent doctors, public health officials, infectious disease experts, and/or other medical professionals who are not politically or economically motivatated that the aggressive reopening of our economy is a good idea and safe for vulnerable populations, I'll go ahead and stand by my initial comment. Please feel free adjust the level of respect you have for me (or don't) accordingly, though your opinion of me is not something I concerned myself with before this conversation, nor will I after.

Lastly, if my initial comment or the subsequent remarks of others were so far out of line, I'm sure we would have heard from our board moderator about it. In your attempt to police the posts of others, you are ironically the one advancing the conversation you sought to shut down. Now that I expect we actually will hear from the mod to get this thread back on track, I am happy to do so.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020 06:56 AM by gleadley.)
05-15-2020 05:47 AM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

(05-15-2020 05:47 AM)gleadley Wrote:  It wasn't intended as a deflection. Nobody likes "stick with" guy, Prof, and I just found that type of comment to be beneath you. Also, based on your follow up remarks, it sure doesn't seem like you want me to just stick with WAC athletics.

Not that you or anyone else is owed an explanation, but until I hear from independent doctors, public health officials, infectious disease experts, and/or other medical professionals who are not politically or economically motivatated that the aggressive reopening of our economy is a good idea and safe for vulnerable populations, I'll go ahead and stand by my initial comment. Please feel free adjust the level of respect you have for me (or don't) accordingly, though your opinion of me is not something I concerned myself with before this conversation, nor will I after.

Lastly, if my initial comment or the subsequent remarks of others were so far out of line, I'm sure we would have heard from our board moderator about it. In your attempt to police the posts of others, you are ironically the one advancing the conversation you sought to shut down. Now that I expect we actually will hear from the mod to get this thread back on track, I am happy to do so.

Ironically, I was going to respond in kind last night but it was too late into the night and the explanation was too long to capture all my meaning. I will just say this. Now that Arizona has open dine in seating at restaurants, my diligence not to catch this virus has to be much greater. Just yesterday one of my co-worker was excited because he could now eat at one of his favorite restaurants. I asked if he at least practiced social distancing while there. He reply "NO". He felt these concerns over the virus was overblown and he was just happy to get back to "normal". And, he is not alone in this sentiment at my place of employment. Needless to say, I work with this guy (and others) daily. If the shelter in place is removed and he is not practicing the "guidelines" the White House put forth, what chance do I have of distancing myself from this virus. I have parents in their mid 70's; one with an autoimmune decease. Until testing is sufficient or a vaccine is developed, I can not visit them; the health risk is too high. So when a politician makes a decision to open up a State without meeting the mandated guidelines with minimal testing and monitoring of establishment, my cynical self sees this as putting the economic ahead of the health concerns of the people. A pandemic like this sees no borders between states. It doesn't recognize our constitutional rights. It just kills indiscriminately. Maybe my initial statement is harsh but it doesn't come without reason.
(This post was last modified: 05-15-2020 10:49 AM by NMSUPistolPete.)
05-15-2020 10:43 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.