Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TEXAS WILL SAVE YOU
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
TEXAS WILL SAVE YOU
So I'm challenging all the true believers of COVID

Texas will most certainly be opening up soon, and I will post #s of Covid stats on here for anyone willing to follow

Right now, as of May 7, here are the stats:

Total Cases: 35,390
Total Fatalities: 973
Fatality Rate 2.7%
People tested: 427,210
People Recovered: 16,791
Currently Hospitalized: 1888

https://coronavirusintexas.org/

MY THEORY: 1) Coronavirus will shrivel up and die in the Texas Summer, 2) The media will lose their fear-mongering narrative, 3) Texas will open their economy while maintaining an incredibly low fatality rate, 4) Texas success will force more states to open up

04-cheers Have a corona beer, its on me 03-drunk
05-07-2020 05:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
RE: TEXAS WILL SAVE YOU
Texas needs to lead the rebellion and bring the Southern states along.
05-07-2020 05:57 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-07-2020 05:57 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Texas needs to lead the rebellion and bring the Southern states along.
Mississippi is open....except for gyms and hair salons. Oh and schools.
05-07-2020 06:27 PM
ArmyBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(05-07-2020 05:57 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Texas needs to lead the rebellion and bring the Southern states along.

No self-respecting Southerner needs Texas to lead them to anything. I have a lot of close family ties to Tennessee. As has been pointed out by that wing of the family in regards to Texas, “We’re still waiting on our thank you card.”

Before of our Texas brethren get the wrong idea, a lot of that is in jest. Mostly.

I’ve been stuck at home too long........
05-07-2020 06:41 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
2.7% fatality still higher than common flu, but nothing worth the mass shutdown of the economy for.
05-07-2020 07:03 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-07-2020 06:41 PM)ArmyBlazer Wrote:  

No self-respecting Southerner needs Texas to lead them to anything. I have a lot of close family ties to Tennessee. As has been pointed out by that wing of the family in regards to Texas, “We’re still waiting on our thank you card.”

Before of our Texas brethren get the wrong idea, a lot of that is in jest. Mostly.

Yeah, a lot of Tennesseans and Kentuckians died at the Alamo and Goliad so that the Texians could whip Santa Anna at San Jacinto.

05-07-2020 07:35 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

(05-07-2020 07:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  

Yeah, a lot of Tennesseans and Kentuckians died at the Alamo and Goliad so that the Texians could whip Santa Anna at San Jacinto.

The Republic of Texas and friends. Dont be so touchy Davy Crockett.

03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020 07:40 PM by shere khan.)
05-07-2020 07:39 PM
Eagleaidaholic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Southern Miss
(05-07-2020 07:03 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  2.7% fatality still higher than common flu, but nothing worth the mass shutdown of the economy for.

It's 2.7% of those that tested positive, not who have had it as only those with bad cases will get tested especially if they have to work. Also as with most, if not all states are adding numbers to the death count that DID NOT test pisitive but rather are assumed to have had it. Nobody knows how many people have had it.
05-07-2020 07:42 PM
ArmyBlazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
(05-07-2020 07:39 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(05-07-2020 07:35 PM)bullet Wrote:  

The Republic of Texas and friends. Dont be so touchy Davy Crockett.

03-lmfao

Bite your tongue. In my family, insulting his good name is a great way to get written out of the will.
05-07-2020 07:50 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(05-07-2020 07:03 PM)Bronco14 Wrote:  2.7% fatality still higher than common flu, but nothing worth the mass shutdown of the economy for.

Where did you get those stats? I'm suspicious of anything put out by the experts (government). I believe the fatality rate is somewhere less than 0.001 from some doctors I've read.
05-07-2020 08:23 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
In the USA, we have had 1,292,000 cases and 77,000 deaths. That's death rate is about 6% for cases, or about a 0.002% of the total population.
05-07-2020 09:02 PM
Advertisement

shere khan Offline
Southerner

(05-07-2020 09:02 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  In the USA, we have had 1,292,000 cases and 77,000 deaths. That's death rate is about 6% for cases, or about a 0.002% of the total population.

Really makes you wonder, doesnt it.
05-07-2020 09:23 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
(05-07-2020 08:23 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

Where did you get those stats? I'm suspicious of anything put out by the experts (government). I believe the fatality rate is somewhere less than 0.001 from some doctors I've read.

OP posted that's what it is in Texas now. That number high, but obviously is going to come down & wasn't worth shutting everything down.
05-07-2020 09:44 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

Lots of stuff in Texas named after Tennesseans who went to fight for them.

Forget the college/sports tie, but the state of Tennessee is called the Volunteer State because those good ol' boys loved to fight -- didn't matter where. Texas had a fight, Tennessee to the rescue!
05-08-2020 11:03 AM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
Here's Tennessee's current numbers. Change since yesterday is in parentheses.

Total Cases: 14,096 (+158)
Total Fatalities: 237 (-2)
Fatality Rate: 1.7%* ()
People tested: 236,328 (+9,227)
People Recovered: 6,783 (+219)
Currently Hospitalized: 1,266 (+45)

* Based on known cases only. Unknown cases exist but are not quantified as of yet. It can be inferred based on studies by Stanford, USC, Miami,et al that the number of positives is several times higher than current know cases.

If you have covid, TN is the place you want to be. We even had 2 people raised from the dead since yesterday.
05-08-2020 11:14 AM
JerryJeff Offline
All American

I Root For:

If it weren't for Tennessee, Texas would be Mexico.
05-08-2020 11:26 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Swine infected 60mm people because nothing was done to avert it. Flu since 2010 has infected between 9 and 45mm people per year.... and lots is done to avert it. There is no way to know exactly how many would have been infected if not for the draconian actions taken, or how many would get flu if we hadn't been chasing it around for decades... didn't have vaccines and spend millions per year on campaigns.... but surely we all accept that 'whether it was worth it or not', these actions reduced the transmission to what we see today as about 1.3mm.

If the number of cases had been 9mm or 45mm or 60mm and the same mortality per case of about 6%.... that's a lot of deaths. Not saying it was worth it or whatever as that is a value judgement, but that is the 'value' that people were looking at.

For flu, 45mm cases resulted in only an estimated 61k deaths. For Swine, 60mm cases resulted in about 12,500 deaths. Only 1.3mm cases has given us more than both.

I think the case rate is much higher and the mortality rate somewhat less... like perhaps 10mm cases and 'only' 65,000 deaths... but that still makes it much more dangerous/deadly than either of those.... and there was no way early on to suspect that the disease could be this undetectable and also seem to lay dormant or return without additional infection. Still so much we don't know.

I'm glad we're re-opening and wish we had never closed... but I still think it wise (and respectful) to be cautious as opposed to callous.
05-08-2020 11:59 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(05-08-2020 11:59 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Swine infected 60mm people because nothing was done to avert it. Flu since 2010 has infected between 9 and 45mm people per year.... and lots is done to avert it. There is no way to know exactly how many would have been infected if not for the draconian actions taken, or how many would get flu if we hadn't been chasing it around for decades... didn't have vaccines and spend millions per year on campaigns.... but surely we all accept that 'whether it was worth it or not', these actions reduced the transmission to what we see today as about 1.3mm.

If the number of cases had been 9mm or 45mm or 60mm and the same mortality per case of about 6%.... that's a lot of deaths. Not saying it was worth it or whatever as that is a value judgement, but that is the 'value' that people were looking at.

For flu, 45mm cases resulted in only an estimated 61k deaths. For Swine, 60mm cases resulted in about 12,500 deaths. Only 1.3mm cases has given us more than both.

I think the case rate is much higher and the mortality rate somewhat less... like perhaps 10mm cases and 'only' 65,000 deaths... but that still makes it much more dangerous/deadly than either of those.... and there was no way early on to suspect that the disease could be this undetectable and also seem to lay dormant or return without additional infection. Still so much we don't know.

I'm glad we're re-opening and wish we had never closed... but I still think it wise (and respectful) to be cautious as opposed to callous.

Deaths are probably slightly over-stated. Every study shows at least 10 times the number of infected, sometimes 40 times. So we have 13 to 50 million cases and something in the vicinity of 60-70k deaths (its up to about 77k now).
05-08-2020 02:20 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

https://thehill.com/opinion/civil-rights...proponents
Opinion piece argues that the burden of proof on taking away our freedoms is on the lockdown proponents.
05-08-2020 02:21 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(05-08-2020 11:26 AM)JerryJeff Wrote:  

If it weren't for Tennessee, Texas would be Mexico.

I guess you never read about the Republican Army of the North or the Republic of the Rio Grande. By the early 1800's, even before Mexico won their independence, Spain was struggling to maintain control over the far northern region of New Spain that is now Texas. Also, in the early days of Texas independence, the Republic of the Rio Grande served as a buffer. Mexico was busy trying to retake the Rio Grand valley, and couldn't be bothered with attacking Texas. Texas was never going to be part of Mexico. The Mexican American War made sure of that, not Tennessee.
05-09-2020 12:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.