Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Change One Feature of Your School's Campus
Bookmark and Share
APPdiesel Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Change One Feature of Your School's Campus
If you could change one design feature of your school's academic or athletic buildings, what would it be? Could be as small as a single feature of one building or a campus wide theme.

For example...At Appalachian a common design theme of academic buildings are green roofs (pictured below). I've been watching App's new east-side dorms go up and wondered what it might look like if several/many of the buildings had "golden domes" or golden roofs ala Notre Dame's Main Building.

05-06-2020 11:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Change One Feature of Your School's Campus
If we're just going on appearance, I'd go with our press-box. It at least needs to be a color other than tan (ick).

We don't really have any academic buildings that are eyesores now (at least IMO).
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 11:42 AM by EigenEagle.)
05-06-2020 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
wewererebels Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT Arlington
We have this one unfinished structure on campus that would look nice, especially if all the encroaching buildings were removed that have been constructed on the former parking areas. That failing, it would be okay with me if we built anew on the main side of the campus.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...egUIARD0AQ
05-06-2020 12:41 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(05-06-2020 11:41 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  If we're just going on appearance, I'd go with our press-box. It at least needs to be a color other than tan (ick).

We don't really have any academic buildings that are eyesores now (at least IMO).

There are a few buildings that have outlived their usefulness. They aren't necessarily eyesores, but they could stand to be torn down. Some of the buildings on Forrest Drive come to mind.

Since urban planning is part of my job, I've always hated how jumbled up and spread out Georgia Southern's campus is. For example, our football practice fields and baseball/softball stadiums are in one corner of the campus, football and soccer stadiums are in the opposite corner of campus, and even still our Rec Center and fields are in another corner of campus. I'd consolidate all athletic and Rec facilities and have them along the south edge of campus (including a modern basketball arena). I'd keep all the dorms on Candler Road. I'd move all the off campus student apartments to be along South Main to help the growth of the Blue Mile, and also, instead of building the south campus expansion, I would be expanding the campus northward into downtown along the Blue Mile too.
05-06-2020 01:05 PM
sdcritter Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
Something, anything, other than that blonde brick they've used all over campus. Nothing screams 1960 worse than that brick. Unfortunately, I think it will always be there. Heck, maybe it will be like bell bottoms and be fashionable again some day.
05-06-2020 02:12 PM
GSUALUM17 Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU
For Georgia State? Tear down Kell Hall. No doubt in my mind.
[Image: 9756360.jpg]

from freaking 1925..
[Image: 9756362.png]

luckily it's happening finally..
[Image: 9756364.jpg]

to make a green space in the center of Arts building and Library North!
[Image: 9756367.jpg]
05-06-2020 02:35 PM
Advertisement

The Demoralizer Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgia Souther
Our Forrest Drive Building. A 2-3 decade old temporary building that has served as a musical chair for some resources as other construction and movements happen on campus. With all of our beautiful brick buildings, this one just sticks out right in the middle of campus.

Also, our student union (Russell Union on the Statesboro campus) is definitely due for an update. It has nice bones with a Chik Fil A, Starbucks, movie theatre, ball room, convenience store, labs, and some admin offices, but has certainly been outgrown by the size of the student body.

There Savannah, err, Armstrong campus itself still feels like a commuter campus with its size and being crammed away hidden behind some commercial areas on Abercorn. It's fairly land locked, as well. However, it is very well maintained (like the Statesboro campus) and has a nice feel to it.

Will post pics after a bit.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 02:57 PM by The Demoralizer.)
05-06-2020 02:56 PM
_x_ Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
Our administration building is hideous.

[Image: jckpond.jpg?mode=fit&width=250]
05-06-2020 04:39 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

(05-06-2020 04:39 PM)_x_ Wrote:  Our administration building is hideous.

Yea so is the old theater building.
05-06-2020 05:20 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
For Troy, I'd say Lurleen B. Wallace Hall - Library.

It's aged and in need of more space and updating.

[Image: XfhnRDP.jpg]

Besides that, Troy's campus has been updated tremendously over the past 10 years, probably more than any other university in Alabama. A lot of new, modern buildings with matching architecture. I'd argue it's the most aesthetically beautiful campus in Alabama.
05-06-2020 05:26 PM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern

First thing I thought of when I saw that picture.

[Image: texas-school-book-depository.jpg]
05-06-2020 06:39 PM
Advertisement

AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(05-06-2020 11:23 AM)APPdiesel Wrote:  If you could change one design feature of your school's academic or athletic buildings, what would it be? Could be as small as a single feature of one building or a campus wide theme.

For example...At Appalachian a common design theme of academic buildings are green roofs (pictured below). I've been watching App's new east-side dorms go up and wondered what it might look like if several/many of the buildings had "golden domes" or golden roofs ala Notre Dame's Main Building.

I‘m not a fan of the green roofs, either. It’s partly because of the administration that was responsible for them in the first place, but after 25 years, I’ve moved on to other desires. Oddly enough, basically every eyesore that I see has already been torn down, or will soon be (track included). Since App never got the embarrassment of riches others schools had gotten over the years, our buildings were built in the contemporary style of the times in which they were built. That bothered me, but the roofs do tie the buildings together — even if they are green. And I choose to look at like they’re a reflection on the people we serve — hard working folks who make the best of what they can get.
05-06-2020 06:46 PM
UTArlingtonMaverick Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT Arlington

It's okay. A reflection of its time. Looks like a 1970s structure.
05-07-2020 12:25 AM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
The Newton building needs to go. That’s the biggest eyesore on campus.
05-07-2020 12:44 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
I think I would want to have some kind of signature, architecturally impressive building on campus that faces the main quad (Sanford Mall). I would put it either where Sanford Hall is located or where Belk Hall (the old library) is.
05-07-2020 06:17 AM
DeanoAPP Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
Speaking of Notre Dame, one of the most beautiful and unique things on its campus is its cathedral along with its Catholic mural that we've all seen. Regardless of what you believe about religion some kind of Cathedral for all denominations on APPS campus would bring a unique character not found on a lot of state supported schools.
05-07-2020 07:17 AM
Advertisement

slycat Offline
Heisman

(05-06-2020 05:20 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

I love the old theater. It is unique.

[Image: b49457126616e5dea0ef116740172159.jpg]
05-07-2020 08:51 AM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(05-07-2020 08:51 AM)slycat Wrote:  
(05-06-2020 05:20 PM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  

I love the old theater. It is unique.

[Image: b49457126616e5dea0ef116740172159.jpg]

05-07-2020 10:53 AM
RamblinRedWolf Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas State
Astate is in DESPERATE need of new freshman dormitories.

Im sure i’m off on the exact years, but Arkansas, University and Kays halls are all pushing 40 + years old (having been built in the 70s), and speaking as a former RA at Arkansas Hall 10+ years ago, we constantly were dealing with infrastructure issues and breakdowns but worst of all, there were NO security cameras except for exterior ones in the front entrance and parking lot entrances, and they were terrible quality). We constantly dealt with theft, defacement and urination/defecation (the elevators didn’t have cameras either).

What’s been frustrating has been the aggressive construction of various on campus apartments and living quarters, but no apparent movement towards new dorms (or renovations).
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020 11:23 AM by RamblinRedWolf.)
05-07-2020 11:21 AM
kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
For USA, to me it is Meisler Hall. There's just not a good way for new students to easily find their way to that building if you have never been to South before. I get they wanted to be part of the central part of campus, but hard for people who are not admitted there. Not a convenient way to get wheelchair bound people up that ramp, I have pushed someone up and down that ramp before. The building is too small for the departments in there, they had to remove a breakroom to add another department in there. Needs a 3rd story.
05-07-2020 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.