Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed
GTFletch Offline
All American

I Root For: Georgia Tech
Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed
In an interview with KVOI-AM in Tucson, Arizona, Robbins said he is worried about intercollegiate sports getting back to normal after the cornovirus. "I'm really concerned about whether we're going to be playing football in the fall," Robbins told the radio station. "My sense, right now, I just don't see that happening." "We're waiting to see what the NCAA does, what the Pac-12 does," Robbins said. "As much as I want it, you know, it just seems as though if we do play any football in the fall, it's going to be delayed because I've heard nothing and we're headed to May 1. My hope is we're going to get some clarity on this very soon, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd love to see it happen, but we're waiting every day to get some guidance."

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

"I did, however, say that the current thinking is that it's likely that fall sports will be canceled," Katsouleas said. "This was not based on any inside knowledge or discussions on the subject and was nothing more than speculation. No decisions have been made about fall sports and when they are made, we will look to the NCAA and our conference to take the lead on those choices."

Robbins conceded that his opinions about delaying fall sports or pushing them back to the spring were his "personal reading of the tea leaves."

"It's going to be very difficult to start the [football] schedule as it currently exists," Robbins said.

Link
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ers-needed
04-29-2020 08:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
RE: Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed
Then don't play this season. I don't know why this is an issue?
All 130 schools don't have to play this season, some can sit out and rejoin in 2021. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing exercise.
04-29-2020 08:54 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

RE: Arizona president says fall football increasingly unlikely, more answers needed
(04-29-2020 08:54 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Then don't play this season. I don't know why this is an issue?
All 130 schools don't have to play this season, some can sit out and rejoin in 2021. This doesn't have to be an all or nothing exercise.

While I see your point. I do think it has to be an all or none when it comes to CFP$$ and the Conf TV $$....If it is canx than each member school and TV networks will get som bailout $$... But if some play it will make it harder for CFP, Conf, Tv networks to get their $$. $o I $uspect we will $ee an ALL or None approach to this. It is all about the $$$$$$

Also when you read the article the Prez is just giving you a glimpse of what is going on behind close doord... Talks of finishing CFB season in 2021 Feb time frame.....IMHO means SA get to cmapus in fall there is some type of camp.. Season starts late it finishes in lat Jan early Feb.... There is an overlap with MBB & WBB however there is no overlap to March Madness. The issue becomes KO times and tip times and then their is also Bowl Games... Alot of things to discuss
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2020 09:04 AM by GTFletch.)
04-29-2020 08:59 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(04-29-2020 08:54 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  Then don't play this season. I don't know why this is an issue?

I agree. Yes, it will be financially painful, but CV is financially painful for many many people and institutions. There just won't be football in the Fall just like there won't be a lot of things in the Fall.

Prepare to Deal With It, Arizona.

07-coffee3
04-29-2020 09:43 AM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Welcome to our world.
04-29-2020 10:53 AM
GTFletch Offline
All American

Added another Group of Five AD: “I could definitely see scenarios where all but one or two schools [from a conference] are ready to proceed and a season is played without them. I think the Group of Five would follow the Power Five’s lead and the Power Five conferences would defer to the TV networks to determine which [schedule] is preferable.”

If a conference decides to play football this season, but certain league members aren’t able to play, how would the television revenue be divided?

“Those that don’t play probably won’t get their full share of media rights revenue,” a Power Five AD said.

Yet another athletic director thought those programs would receive their share of revenue.

“I believe so,” the AD said. “When those schools who do not go to bowl games, NCAA tournaments or field competitive teams, they still share in the revenue.”

“Would the decision to play in the fall change if the schools that couldn’t play were Alabama, Auburn and LSU, compared with Vanderbilt, Tennessee or Missouri?” asked one AD who does not represent an SEC school. “I hope not, but these are unprecedented times.”

Link
https://watchstadium.com/what-happens-to...4-28-2020/
05-02-2020 08:09 AM
Advertisement

GTFletch Offline
All American

Iowa president says football practice is planned for June 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc...064726001/
05-02-2020 08:12 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-29-2020 08:59 AM)GTFletch Wrote:  

While I see your point. I do think it has to be an all or none when it comes to CFP$$ and the Conf TV $$....If it is canx than each member school and TV networks will get som bailout $$... But if some play it will make it harder for CFP, Conf, Tv networks to get their $$. $o I $uspect we will $ee an ALL or None approach to this. It is all about the $$$$$$

Also when you read the article the Prez is just giving you a glimpse of what is going on behind close doord... Talks of finishing CFB season in 2021 Feb time frame.....IMHO means SA get to cmapus in fall there is some type of camp.. Season starts late it finishes in lat Jan early Feb.... There is an overlap with MBB & WBB however there is no overlap to March Madness. The issue becomes KO times and tip times and then their is also Bowl Games... Alot of things to discuss

Agreed. There is absolutely NOTHING simple about the money side if some schools play and others don’t. Schools aren’t going to confirm anything until the last possible second because it’s in their interest to play any type of football if at all possible and they don’t want to foreclose any options. That’s a perfectly fair position since none of us knows what the landscape will be in even the next 2 to 4 weeks as states start to try to reopen, much less what things will look like in August or September. Schools should be putting a contingency plan in place for every single scenario (e.g. season starts on time, season starts in October, season starts in January, season doesn’t start at all, etc.), but no business can reasonably commit to what they think they’re going to be doing on Labor Day as of right now.
05-02-2020 10:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
It's not happening, folks. Too many governors are trying to extend this as long as possible, power hungry & out of control. Thankfully I think we're getting closer & closer to the point where courts are going to have to start ruling.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 10:59 AM by Bronco'14.)
05-02-2020 10:59 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
As it is, Dr. Faucci would be on the side of the student athletes and not the school president or ADs who only care for is the greed of money from tv contracts since this virus prove that it can kill anybody healthy or not. Football of any kind would be a hotbed of the spread of coronavirus.
05-02-2020 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(05-02-2020 01:34 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  As it is, Dr. Faucci would be on the side of the student athletes and not the school president or ADs who only care for is the greed of money from tv contracts since this virus prove that it can kill anybody healthy or not. Football of any kind would be a hotbed of the spread of coronavirus.

What about Deborah Birx?
05-02-2020 01:35 PM
Advertisement

DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
My guess: most teams will play, some will not. Not sure if those games that don't get played are considered open dates or forfeits.
05-02-2020 01:51 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
The school Presidents don't believe there will be sports. The ADs jobs are based on having sports, so they are desperately trying to get something going on their end.

The sales pitch is doubly necessary because the NBA with select contracts is starting to eat into the NCAA top recruits. If they play and the NCAA doesn't, the NBA G-League will get ratings these top players seen, and the value of that approach rise rapidly in the mind of High School players.

But I think desperation by ADs doesn't make us have a vaccine any quicker. I also think the states that open up too quickly now without adequate testing will have to shut down again or stay in a prolonged status of semi-open. This virus is looking more and more like TB, something that wont go away, our systems can only give temporary immunization after catching it (like the common cold), so it's here forever. Only vaccination and boosters from time to time will finish it off.

To play college sports in this environment is ludicrous.
05-02-2020 01:53 PM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-02-2020 10:59 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  It's not happening, folks. Too many governors are trying to extend this as long as possible, power hungry & out of control. Thankfully I think we're getting closer & closer to the point where courts are going to have to start ruling.

You’re only looking at it from the government orders versus civil liberties perspective, though. The other side of it (and what many businesses are MUCH more worried about as I can tell you as a corporate lawyer) would be the civil liability from opening up too fast and being the site of a new outbreak among employees and/or customers. No one gets immunity (in the legal sense) from wrongful death suits and bodily injury claims just because some state governments feel that it’s politically expedient to open up.

Plus, get ready for years of fights about insurance policies (and I’m not talking about health insurance, but rather commercial general liability and workers comp insurance). Virtually no business with sizable assets is going to open up unless they know that they are fully insured. I can pretty much guarantee you that every insurer out there is going to say that they will only cover a business going forward under a very specific set of circumstances with specific precautions in place regardless of what the government says. For instance, the Governor of Florida can tell that the state can open back up all that he wants for political purposes, but if Disney World and Universal Studios wouldn’t be insured if they open back up, then they’re not opening back up.

That’s not to say that things must be closed any longer than necessary... but the definition of “necessary” is going to look very different to an insurance company (which in turn businesses *really* depend upon in order to feel safe to open) than politicians that just want to magically wish away a public health crisis based on the political whims of their supporters.
05-02-2020 02:16 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-02-2020 02:16 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-02-2020 10:59 AM)Bronco14 Wrote:  It's not happening, folks. Too many governors are trying to extend this as long as possible, power hungry & out of control. Thankfully I think we're getting closer & closer to the point where courts are going to have to start ruling.

You’re only looking at it from the government orders versus civil liberties perspective, though. The other side of it (and what many businesses are MUCH more worried about as I can tell you as a corporate lawyer) would be the civil liability from opening up too fast and being the site of a new outbreak among employees and/or customers. No one gets immunity (in the legal sense) from wrongful death suits and bodily injury claims just because some state governments feel that it’s politically expedient to open up.

Plus, get ready for years of fights about insurance policies (and I’m not talking about health insurance, but rather commercial general liability and workers comp insurance). Virtually no business with sizable assets is going to open up unless they know that they are fully insured. I can pretty much guarantee you that every insurer out there is going to say that they will only cover a business going forward under a very specific set of circumstances with specific precautions in place regardless of what the government says. For instance, the Governor of Florida can tell that the state can open back up all that he wants for political purposes, but if Disney World and Universal Studios wouldn’t be insured if they open back up, then they’re not opening back up.

That’s not to say that things must be closed any longer than necessary... but the definition of “necessary” is going to look very different to an insurance company (which in turn businesses *really* depend upon in order to feel safe to open) than politicians that just want to magically wish away a public health crisis based on the political whims of their supporters.

The problem with any liability case will be causation. With non-symptomatic transmission and the ability of the virus to survive on surfaces (or even in the air)---literally any case could have been contracted literally anywhere. Proving where the infection originated will be next to impossible. That wont stop cases from being filed---but no idea how you could prove for sure the source of any one case.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 04:06 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-02-2020 04:04 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-02-2020 01:53 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  The school Presidents don't believe there will be sports. The ADs jobs are based on having sports, so they are desperately trying to get something going on their end.

The sales pitch is doubly necessary because the NBA with select contracts is starting to eat into the NCAA top recruits. If they play and the NCAA doesn't, the NBA G-League will get ratings these top players seen, and the value of that approach rise rapidly in the mind of High School players.

But I think desperation by ADs doesn't make us have a vaccine any quicker. I also think the states that open up too quickly now without adequate testing will have to shut down again or stay in a prolonged status of semi-open. This virus is looking more and more like TB, something that wont go away, our systems can only give temporary immunization after catching it (like the common cold), so it's here forever. Only vaccination and boosters from time to time will finish it off.

To play college sports in this environment is ludicrous.

Reason has to align with common sense. If there is no marketable vaccine for 2-3 years, that's just no sports, but no colleges. People aren't going to pay Arizona or their cohorts $36-50K a year for Zoom classes and the ivory tower crumbles under the weight of tenure and unfunded pension liability.

Further complicating this is that while the blue states may do something, the red will do otherwise.
05-02-2020 05:33 PM
Advertisement

sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Chris Russo said on his show yesterday that he doesn’t think there will be any fans at any sporting event until the Super Bowl next year, whenever it is played. That’s 9+ months from now.

A caller called into his show and said somebody told him LiveNation doesn’t plan on having any big concerts nationwide until next February.

New York City, the center of our country’s economy, is still getting 2,000+ new cases every day. Companies and businesses based there won’t return to work from offices until it’s probably 10% of that or less.

Canada has less than 10% of the amount of cases we do and the CFL has already delayed the start of their year, and gatherings of 10-20 people at max. Manitoba has already banned big-league sporting events until September.

Especially in the sue-happy culture we live in, nothing big will start up until they have a wide-ranging insurance policy.
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 06:20 PM by sctvman.)
05-02-2020 06:19 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-02-2020 04:04 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The problem with any liability case will be causation. With non-symptomatic transmission and the ability of the virus to survive on surfaces (or even in the air)---literally any case could have been contracted literally anywhere. Proving where the infection originated will be next to impossible. That wont stop cases from being filed---but no idea how you could prove for sure the source of any one case.

That never stopped a tort lawyer.
05-02-2020 08:00 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
What if — from a fan perspective — there are no college sports for the 2020-21 academic year? Yes, it would be disappointing (I'm missing college baseball now, I admit), but we would all be fine and be even more appreciative (than we would be otherwise) when college sports resume in 2021-22.

It's times like these when you realize there are more important things in life than enjoying sports as a fan. (Now, from a business/economic consideration, not having sports is hugely harmful to society, and that's unfortunate.)
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2020 08:30 PM by bill dazzle.)
05-02-2020 08:29 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(05-02-2020 04:04 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Just take one player with the virus being sweaty and contact by blocking or tackling with people spittle do accidentally fly out to infect an opposing player would be the cause of the spreading of the virus. It is airborne as well.
05-02-2020 08:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.