Proposal Withdrawn To Close 3 Vermont Public Colleges
Proposal withdrawn

2 are in D3 and the other in USCAA.

NVU-Johnson
NVU-Lyndon
Vermont Tech

All 3 schools are saved for now.
04-27-2020 09:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Proposal Withdrawn To Close 3 Vermont Public Colleges
(04-27-2020 09:05 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Proposal withdrawn

NVU-Johnson
NVU-Lyndon
Vermont Tech

One of the four conferences within the USCAA is the Penn State University Athletic Conference. It comprises 13 of the Commonwealth Campuses of Pennsylvania State University.

You know you're a big-time university when you can boast of a full conference comprised solely of your various campuses.
04-27-2020 09:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Penn St has 99k students between all its campuses...with 40k in State College. Supposedly those students at branch campuses get student tickets to Beaver Stadium.
04-27-2020 11:49 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(04-27-2020 11:49 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Penn St has 99k students between all its campuses...with 40k in State College. Supposedly those students at branch campuses get student tickets to Beaver Stadium.

Penn State uses the branch campuses to expand the cult power base by having a lot more alumni than they could admit to State College. Those campuses are a way for someone who isn't getting into State College to claim they went to Penn State. It's brilliant from PSU's angle...doesn't hurt admission stats but builds more loyal alumni.
04-28-2020 09:56 AM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
(04-28-2020 09:56 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 11:49 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Penn St has 99k students between all its campuses...with 40k in State College. Supposedly those students at branch campuses get student tickets to Beaver Stadium.

Penn State uses the branch campuses to expand the cult power base by having a lot more alumni than they could admit to State College. Those campuses are a way for someone who isn't getting into State College to claim they went to Penn State. It's brilliant from PSU's angle...doesn't hurt admission stats but builds more loyal alumni.

Uh, can't you say the SAME ABOUT EVERY STATE?! I get that you have a problem with how JoePa handled the Sandusky scandal, but at least be fair!
04-28-2020 10:46 AM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(04-28-2020 10:46 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  

Uh, can't you say the SAME ABOUT EVERY STATE?! I get that you have a problem with how JoePa handled the Sandusky scandal, but at least be fair!

No, the Penn State system is fairly unique. There's not a UF campus in every bum**** town. The UT system is different as well because the universities aren't tied to Austin the way the Penn State colleges are tied to State College. I'm sure there's some similar example, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

And Penn State is a lot more of a cult than just Paterno mishandling Sandusky. There was the entire Penn State response to all of that...there was rioting over firing Paterno. There was mass objection to Penn State being penalized. The whole place is a cult that makes Bama's fanbase not look totally ridiculous.
04-28-2020 01:33 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(04-27-2020 09:10 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

NVU-Johnson
NVU-Lyndon
Vermont Tech

One of the four conferences within the USCAA is the Penn State University Athletic Conference. It comprises 13 of the Commonwealth Campuses of Pennsylvania State University.

You know you're a big-time university when you can boast of a full conference comprised solely of your various campuses.

In California we have 1½ such conferences.

1) D-II California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). Made up of 12 California State University campuses:
Cal Poly Pomona (CPP)
Stan State
Chico State
SF State
Sonoma State
Humboldt State
Cal State East Bay
Cal State LA
Cal State San Bernardino (CSUSB)
CSUSM (Cal State San Marcos)
CSUDH (Dominguez Hills)
CSUMB (Cal State Monterey Bay)

-- Did have UC San Diego, but on July 1st they join the Big West

2) The "half" conference is the Big West, since it's an equal mix of CSU and UC campuses
CSU:
Cal Poly
Cal State Fullerton
California State Long Beach (huge confusion over brand name; Athletic Department goes by "Long Beach" or "Long Beach State")
CSUN
CSU Bakersfield
UC:
UC Davis
UCI (UC Irvine)
UC Santa Barbara (UCSB)
UC San Diego
UC Riverside (or UCR ... the moniker is equal)

Hawai'i is also a member, which kind of ruins it. But they have to pay a annual travel fee as a non-California member.
04-28-2020 01:39 PM
Advertisement

ccd494 Online
1st String

I Root For: Maine
D-III MASCAC:

Bridgewater State
Fitchburg State
Framingham State
Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
Salem State
Westfield State
Worcester State

The MASCAC does have three affiliates: Plymouth State (NH) football and hockey, UMass-Dartmouth football and hockey, and Western Connecticut State hockey.

D-III SUNYAC:

SUNY-Cortland
SUNY-New Paltz
SUNY-Oneonta
SUNY-Plattsburgh
SUNY-Potsdam
SUNY-Brockport
Buffalo State
SUNY-Fredonia
SUNY-Geneseo
SUNY-Oneonta

Affiliate: SUNY-Morrisville ice and field hockey (main conference: NEAC)
04-28-2020 01:48 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(04-28-2020 01:39 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  
(04-27-2020 09:10 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  

NVU-Johnson
NVU-Lyndon
Vermont Tech

In California we have 1½ such conferences.

1) D-II California Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA). Made up of 12 California State University campuses:
Cal Poly Pomona (CPP)
Stan State
Chico State
SF State
Sonoma State
Humboldt State
Cal State East Bay
Cal State LA
Cal State San Bernardino (CSUSB)
CSUSM (Cal State San Marcos)
CSUDH (Dominguez Hills)
CSUMB (Cal State Monterey Bay)

They left out the Banana Slugs? 02-13-banana
04-28-2020 03:18 PM
Inkblot Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Oklahoma State
Don't forget the CUNYAC!

Baruch
Brooklyn
CCNY
Hunter
John Jay
Lehman
Medgar Evers
York
04-28-2020 03:48 PM
Advertisement

johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
I had heard of Johnson State College and Lyndon State College, but I didn't know they had been merged into something called Northern Vermont University.
04-28-2020 04:06 PM
DFW HOYA Online
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(04-28-2020 01:33 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  No, the Penn State system is fairly unique. There's not a UF campus in every bum**** town. The UT system is different as well because the universities aren't tied to Austin the way the Penn State colleges are tied to State College. I'm sure there's some similar example, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

The Penn State system is unique because the smaller schools (some as small as 500 students) serve three roles: 1) junior college, 2) feeder schools into University Park, reducing costs there, and 3) standalone universities awarding bachelor's degrees and serving as points of pride in rural communities that, by its own, could not support a college of its own. Together, they sell Penn State even if they never set foot in State College.

The UT system as never meant to do that--it's more of a brand for state funding under one of the six education umbrellas (UT, Texas A&M, Texas State, with very small satellites to Texas Tech, North Texas, and Houston). All but four state universities are funded under one of these holding companies. And, of course, no student at UTEP is looking to move to Austin in two years as a matter of course.
(This post was last modified: 04-28-2020 05:11 PM by DFW HOYA.)
04-28-2020 05:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-28-2020 05:10 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  
(04-28-2020 01:33 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  No, the Penn State system is fairly unique. There's not a UF campus in every bum**** town. The UT system is different as well because the universities aren't tied to Austin the way the Penn State colleges are tied to State College. I'm sure there's some similar example, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

The Penn State system is unique because the smaller schools (some as small as 500 students) serve three roles: 1) junior college, 2) feeder schools into University Park, reducing costs there, and 3) standalone universities awarding bachelor's degrees and serving as points of pride in rural communities that, by its own, could not support a college of its own. Together, they sell Penn State even if they never set foot in State College.

The UT system as never meant to do that--it's more of a brand for state funding under one of the six education umbrellas (UT, Texas A&M, Texas State, with very small satellites to Texas Tech, North Texas, and Houston). All but four state universities are funded under one of these holding companies. And, of course, no student at UTEP is looking to move to Austin in two years as a matter of course.

Good analogy. The UT system is a brand name and a funding mechanism. The other campuses are not satellites of UT-Austin, but are governed by the same board of regents. No one goes to UT-Tyler or UT-RGV with the intention of going to UT-Austin after two years. UT-Austin is the flagship and dominant school in the system, but the other schools do not merely exist to prop up UT-Austin. They don't need it. In addition, regarding branding, each of the UT campuses now uses orange as a primary or secondary color. UT-Arlington once used blue, red, and white, but now uses blue and orange as their colors.
04-28-2020 05:33 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

(04-28-2020 01:33 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(04-28-2020 10:46 AM)Erictelevision Wrote:  

No, the Penn State system is fairly unique. There's not a UF campus in every bum**** town. The UT system is different as well because the universities aren't tied to Austin the way the Penn State colleges are tied to State College. I'm sure there's some similar example, but nothing is coming to mind at the moment.

And Penn State is a lot more of a cult than just Paterno mishandling Sandusky. There was the entire Penn State response to all of that...there was rioting over firing Paterno. There was mass objection to Penn State being penalized. The whole place is a cult that makes Bama's fanbase not look totally ridiculous.

The Penn State system competes for students with the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE), or the former teachers colleges. These schools compete in the Division II Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC). Up until a few years ago, the PSAC was fully comprised of PASSHE schools. They have since added some private schools, and have also added Pitt-Johnstown and nearby Shepherd (WV). Shepherd replaced PASSHE member Cheyney, who left two years ago due to financial issues.

PSAC West: Edinboro, Clarion, Slippery Rock, California, Indiana, Pitt-Johnstown (non-FB), Seton Hill (private), Gannon (private), Mercyhurst (private)
PSAC East: West Chester, Kutztown, East Stroudsburg, Lock Haven, Bloomsburg, Shippensburg, Millersville, Mansfield (non-FB), Shepherd (WV)
04-28-2020 05:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.