Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Latest on ACC Football for 2020
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Latest on ACC Football for 2020
04-23-2020 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
RE: Latest on ACC Football for 2020
Whether we have college football this Autumn isn't up to ADs or football coaches. It's up to the Board of Trustees of the schools. They'll make decisions on whether to allow students back on campus in September. If they do, we can have college football. If they don't, we don't have college football. Our desire to watch college sports is irrelevant. The issue is whether it's safe for students, faculty and staff to re-open.

My opinion is that no matter how much progress we seem to make in tamping down Covid-19 this Spring and Summer, it won't be nearly enough to safely re-open the universities. Even if it looks like Covid-19 has been backed into a corner it may well rebound once the weather cools off. For that matter, it's not at all clear that warm weather will make much difference. There's plenty of Covid-19 now in very warm places like Singapore, India, Egypt and Brazil.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020 04:11 PM by Hallcity.)
04-23-2020 04:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexanMark Offline
Legend

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/...ssion=true

Syracuse University Athletic Director John Wildhack shared two key timeframes in determining the status of the 2020 college football season.

Six weeks: That’s how long Atlantic Coast Conference athletic directors and head football coaches believe players will need to prepare for a season.

Mid-to-late June: That’s when Wildhack thinks a decision will be made as to whether it’s safe to start the year on time
04-23-2020 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
(04-23-2020 04:03 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Whether we have college football this Autumn isn't up to ADs or football coaches. It's up to the Board of Trustees of the schools. They'll make decisions on whether to allow students back on campus in September. If they do, we can have college football. If they don't, we don't have college football. Our desire to watch college sports is irrelevant. The issue is whether it's safe for students, faculty and staff to re-open.

My opinion is that no matter how much progress we seem to make in tamping down Covid-19 this Spring and Summer, it won't be nearly enough to safely re-open the universities. Even if it looks like Covid-19 has been backed into a corner it may well rebound once the weather cools off. For that matter, it's not at all clear that warm weather will make much difference. There's plenty of Covid-19 now in very warm places like Singapore, India, Egypt and Brazil.

It's not even up to all of the sets of Trustees. Those with research hospitals like Pitt, UVa, UNC, WF, Duke, and Miami will make the decision for everyone else. It will only take a handful refusing to play to ensure that all do not play.
04-23-2020 05:08 PM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(04-23-2020 05:08 PM)Statefan Wrote:  
(04-23-2020 04:03 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  Whether we have college football this Autumn isn't up to ADs or football coaches. It's up to the Board of Trustees of the schools. They'll make decisions on whether to allow students back on campus in September. If they do, we can have college football. If they don't, we don't have college football. Our desire to watch college sports is irrelevant. The issue is whether it's safe for students, faculty and staff to re-open.

It's not even up to all of the sets of Trustees. Those with research hospitals like Pitt, UVa, UNC, WF, Duke, and Miami will make the decision for everyone else. It will only take a handful refusing to play to ensure that all do not play.

You’re right. The Chairs of the Infectious Disease Departments at university medical schools are the key players here, not ADs and football coaches.

BTW, I’m hearing Duke plans to make a decision in June on reopening for the fall semester.

I don’t think it will matter for sports but I wonder whether they’ll allow students back on campus who have Covid-19 antibodies since they wouldn’t be at risk and would pose no risk to others.
04-23-2020 05:20 PM
nole Offline
1st String

I Root For: FSU
It is all the rage to group think and demand nothing opens. But don't forget.

*No students on campus, hundrends of universities will lose ungodly amounts of money. Some universities will close permenately. College towns will be in depression states, business will close down.

*No football this fall equals hundreds of athletic non revenue teams being cut. Thousands of scholarship students will loser their scholarship.

The scale isn't just the 47K that have died in the US....how many will die from economic depression? Suicides, alchololism, etc. This problem is MUCH MUCH more complicated than "everyone stay home until there are 0 deaths"
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020 07:08 PM by nole.)
04-23-2020 07:07 PM
Advertisement

Hallcity Offline
1st String

(04-23-2020 07:07 PM)nole Wrote:  It is all the rage to group think and demand nothing opens. But don't forget.

*No students on campus, hundrends of universities will lose ungodly amounts of money. Some universities will close permenately. College towns will be in depression states, business will close down.

*No football this fall equals hundreds of athletic non revenue teams being cut. Thousands of scholarship students will loser their scholarship.

The scale isn't just the 47K that have died in the US....how many will die from economic depression? Suicides, alchololism, etc. This problem is MUCH MUCH more complicated than "everyone stay home until there are 0 deaths"

The idea of a couple of million Americans dead from Covid-19 doesn’t phase you or you just can’t imagine that you or anyone you know could die from Covid-19?

The reality is that by the time this is over we’ll all be touched by Covid-19.

Would you want to be a university dean explaining to the family of a student or faculty member who died from Covid-19 why your school was opened to students in the midst of a pandemic?
04-23-2020 07:25 PM
nole Offline
1st String

(04-23-2020 07:25 PM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(04-23-2020 07:07 PM)nole Wrote:  It is all the rage to group think and demand nothing opens. But don't forget.

The idea of a couple of million Americans dead from Covid-19 doesn’t phase you or you just can’t imagine that you or anyone you know could die from Covid-19?

Would you want to be a university dean explaining to the family of a student or faculty member who died from Covid-19 why your school was opened to students in the midst of a pandemic?

You don't know a 'couple of million' will die. I find that kind of extreme prediction to be silly.

Sweden didn't close down. I guess they want millions to die? Or perhaps, there are other ways.

And how many deaths is too many? Do we all stay home until you can PROMISE 0 deaths? Is that possible?

Also, how many deaths from suicide do economic depressions bring about? Not to mention substance abuse, etc.

The whole "millions" die thing is so emotional....to the point people ignore all nuance. Can we take precautions AND live our lives? Other countries are. Some are not. The belief there is no discussion to be had is bizarre.

Would I open things today? Maybe not. But conversely who can confidently say in say 4 months they would refuse to? Crystal ball anyone?
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2020 09:09 PM by nole.)
04-23-2020 07:30 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
Right now the USA has 880,204 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, and 49,845 confirmed deaths from the disease. The scary thing is there are only 85,922 who have tested positive and later recovered - not even twice the number of deaths. No one is saying that 1/3rd of all Americans are going to die from COVID-19 -- but you can't prove from the data that they won't, either.

BTW, worldwide the numbers look a little better, but not much: 190,499 deaths vs. only 745,343 recoveries.

I think before any decision is made we need to wait a few more weeks to find out what's going to happen to the hundreds of thousands of people who are currently sick - will they recover, or will they die?
04-23-2020 07:51 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

You best hope that there’s football in the fall because if there isn’t there’s a good chance you’ll never see college athletics at the same level again.
04-23-2020 09:46 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
I don't think we'll see football until March-May of 2021. Don't foresee many universities hosting classes on campus this fall when the 2nd wave hits at the same time as the season flu this fall. And would it really be worth to get 2-3 games in September to prove some point? The 2nd wave will be much worse than this first wave. And unfortunately, it's going to take years-decades for our economy to recover, if it ever does.
04-24-2020 01:11 AM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

Sure it does but it appears the Virus is less severe by a huge factor.

Hallcity: Get your news from more sources than just corporate media. It really helps bring perspective how bad and slanted the MSM is in covering this event.
04-24-2020 07:06 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

(04-24-2020 01:11 AM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  I don't think we'll see football until March-May of 2021. Don't foresee many universities hosting classes on campus this fall when the 2nd wave hits at the same time as the season flu this fall. And would it really be worth to get 2-3 games in September to prove some point? The 2nd wave will be much worse than this first wave. And unfortunately, it's going to take years-decades for our economy to recover, if it ever does.

You think top players are going to want to play right before the NFL draft?
04-24-2020 07:08 AM
Hallcity Offline
1st String

(04-24-2020 07:06 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

Hallcity: Get your news from more sources than just corporate media. It really helps bring perspective how bad and slanted the MSM is in covering this event.

More sources? Like Qanon? Fox News? Or maybe that certain person who told us yesterday that we can cure Covid-19 by swallowing a light bulb chased down by a swig of Lysol.
04-24-2020 07:52 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(04-23-2020 09:46 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

You best hope that there’s football in the fall because if there isn’t there’s a good chance you’ll never see college athletics at the same level again.

Sadly, I agree....this is the logic. It's why I stated this is a complex decision.
04-24-2020 08:10 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
It is extremely unlikely that there will be college football in the fall.

What medical basis will there be to open up stadiums and campuses to big crowds without infecting and killing many?

Immunity? No.

Vaccine? Unlikely.

The virus is not just going to go away.
04-24-2020 08:53 AM
Advertisement

Indytarheel Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UNC

So, money is more important than death. By the way, lose the false equivalencies you are trying to make with suicides, alchololism, etc. Aside from a drunk getting behind the wheel and driving or a dope fiend killing for money, all of those things are self inflicted and does not pose a threat to anyone else. Opposed to COVID which is a extremely infectious disease that can spread asymptomatically. Your argument is right on cue with injecting/ ingesting disinfectant and/or exposing your body to UV radiation.
04-24-2020 10:21 AM
IHAVETRIED Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisville
(04-24-2020 07:52 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  
(04-24-2020 07:06 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  

More sources? Like Qanon? Fox News? Or maybe that certain person who told us yesterday that we can cure Covid-19 by swallowing a light bulb chased down by a swig of Lysol.
I just might try that one today. I'll leave the bulb plugged in, sticking out of my mouth, going over to the outlet. I'll spray some Lysol on my butt to see if 1 amp @ 110 volts lights it up.
04-24-2020 10:30 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(04-24-2020 08:53 AM)TerryD Wrote:  What medical basis will there be to open up stadiums and campuses to big crowds without infecting and killing many?

A shift in public policy from one of shutting everything down to a more Swedish method.
04-24-2020 10:32 AM
nole Offline
1st String

(04-24-2020 10:21 AM)Indytarheel Wrote:  

So, money is more important than death. By the way, lose the false equivalencies you are trying to make with suicides, alchololism, etc. Aside from a drunk getting behind the wheel and driving or a dope fiend killing for money, all of those things are self inflicted and does not pose a threat to anyone else. Opposed to COVID which is a extremely infectious disease that can spread asymptomatically. Your argument is right on cue with injecting/ ingesting disinfectant and/or exposing your body to UV radiation.

So Sweden is choosing death?

Or, if people calm down some from the non stop panic driven narrative, you might realize there are more options than just "you are choosing death".

I hate the lack of nuance in debate in today's day.
04-24-2020 10:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.