1929 Carnegie Mellon study on college athletics
04-19-2020 01:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrazyPaco Online
All American

I Root For:
RE: 1929 Carnegie Mellon study on college athletics
(04-19-2020 01:18 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_a...letics.pdf

FYI, the Carnegie Foundation is not, and has no relation to, Carnegie Mellon University, which in 1929, was known as Carnegie Tech (Mellon Institute at that time was affiliated with the University of Pittsburgh).

The Carnegie Institute and Museums also have no affiliation to Carnegie Mellon University.
04-19-2020 07:42 PM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
(04-19-2020 01:18 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_a...letics.pdf

Page 39

~ 3. Football
The first authoritative reference to football as a college pastime concerns the Prince-
ton of 1820. In 1827, Bloody Monday at Harvard included among its activities a con- test at football between freshmen and sophomores. The game was played at West Point between 1840 and 1844, and at about the same time class football contests were popular at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, Amherst and Bowdoin. Accounts of these matches indicate that the game resembled modern soccer rather than the college foot- ball of the present day.”
04-19-2020 08:10 PM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(04-19-2020 08:10 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  

Page 39

~ 3. Football
The first authoritative reference to football as a college pastime concerns the Prince-
ton of 1820. In 1827, Bloody Monday at Harvard included among its activities a con- test at football between freshmen and sophomores. The game was played at West Point between 1840 and 1844, and at about the same time class football contests were popular at Harvard, Yale, and Princeton, Amherst and Bowdoin. Accounts of these matches indicate that the game resembled modern soccer rather than the college foot- ball of the present day.”

"football" used refer to a number of sports played on a field on foot. As opposed to on horseback.
04-20-2020 09:14 AM
Garrettabc Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida State
(04-20-2020 09:14 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(04-19-2020 08:10 PM)Garrettabc Wrote:  

Page 39

~ 3. Football

"football" used refer to a number of sports played on a field on foot. As opposed to on horseback.

I’m sure it was much different back then. I knew at one time you got more points kicking rather than running it in. Just thought it was interesting history, something I have never heard of until now.
04-20-2020 10:44 AM
chester Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama

This was meant to be a Big Tent Revival of true amateurism (no recruiting, no scholarships, etc.) but it fell flat...

A very few schools did show up to clap in praise, but still more stood in the background and muttered that THEY weren't sinful. Still others pointed at their neighbors.

But again, it all fell flat.... Why? Because the FANS didn't give a rat's behind about "amateurism". The schools pretended to, though, and when actual amateurism was officially abandoned in the 1950's, the Cartel began to propagandize the word so as, along with the invented term "student athlete," not to recognize athletes as employees.

Really great system we've got going here in the good ole USA... 03-pissed
06-07-2020 04:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.