Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

COVID-19 and fall sports
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Exclamation COVID-19 and fall sports
No one knows the course of this virus. Dr. Fauci says, the virus, not our economy, will guide when our lives get back to semblance of normal.

I'm trying to come up with some possible scenarios for the 2020 CFB season.

First, let's remember that we have the balance of the NBA, NHL, MLS, and the MLB seasons for guidance.

Second, many believe that we'll have a second wave, of some amplitude. this fall/winter.

Working from those assumptions what can we expect for the 2020 CFB season:

1). The best case scenario is the season starts and ends on time.

2). The worst case is that the season doesn't happen.

3). Another scenario is that the season is cut short say around Nov 1 if the virus becomes a concern again.

4). Another scenario is that the NCAA allows conferences to move up two games into late August. The season could end after the 1st week of November and that game #12 could be cancelled, if necessary.

5). Maybe games are played before only hundreds of 'family and friends.' Players, officials, coaches, media, etc. would need to pass negative a few days before game day.

These are some of my thoughts. Your thoughts?
04-05-2020 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DICK Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: COVID-19 and fall sports
I have heard discussion of cancelling fall football and playing in the Spring next year.
04-05-2020 02:33 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-05-2020 02:33 PM)DICK Wrote:  I have heard discussion of cancelling fall football and playing in the Spring next year.

That would be interesting, to say the least...
04-05-2020 03:55 PM
Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
Would be strange with it being in March and April, especially opposite March Madness. And the bowl season happens in May instead of during Christmas-New Years? Maybe Boise might actually be warm.

A "conference only" schedule, which I've heard batted around, would kill our P5 pay-day games that fuel our program. Playing in empty stadiums wouldn't seem right either (enter November #MACtion joke here).

If it's not a regular 12-game slate in the fall, I'd just assume cancel the whole season.
04-05-2020 04:31 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-05-2020 04:31 PM)Motown Bronco Wrote:  Would be strange with it being in March and April, especially opposite March Madness. And the bowl season happens in May instead of during Christmas-New Years? Maybe Boise might actually be warm.

A "conference only" schedule, which I've heard batted around, would kill our P5 pay-day games that fuel our program. Playing in empty stadiums wouldn't seem right either (enter November #MACtion joke here).

If it's not a regular 12-game slate in the fall, I'd just assume cancel the whole season.

We could go opposite the XFL.

BTW, I'd play the games in fall and give all the spectators masks with their ticket.
04-05-2020 06:19 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
too soon. let's do our best to control the outbreak and support those on the frontlines. we mostly blew it for the first 3 months. and the federal response the last month has been ineffective and disjointed. if local hospitals and communities with state support can flatten things out, make it through april and we come to the aid of the hard hit areas we could manage this wave. but if the more isolated and less populated states start to see it in May with much less health care resources there's gonna be another brutal round in the small cities and rural areas. to get it somewhat under control we'll need to have quick free accurate testing yesterday, understand more about the illness and communicate all that information accurately and make sure everyone has immediate access to sufficient health care, so we don't keep having outbreaks. yeah, all that happens more or less, and you could have some form of football. and, btw, don't expect a miracle cure or fully effective vaccine that doesn't give you diarrhea by then.
04-06-2020 02:21 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-06-2020 02:21 AM)pono Wrote:  too soon. let's do our best to control the outbreak and support those on the frontlines. we mostly blew it for the first 3 months. and the federal response the last month has been ineffective and disjointed. if local hospitals and communities with state support can flatten things out, make it through april and we come to the aid of the hard hit areas we could manage this wave. but if the more isolated and less populated states start to see it in May with much less health care resources there's gonna be another brutal round in the small cities and rural areas. to get it somewhat under control we'll need to have quick free accurate testing yesterday, understand more about the illness and communicate all that information accurately and make sure everyone has immediate access to sufficient health care, so we don't keep having outbreaks. yeah, all that happens more or less, and you could have some form of football. and, btw, don't expect a miracle cure or fully effective vaccine that doesn't give you diarrhea by then.

Lot of good points.

Just consider our long lost brother, Marshall. They are in a state which doesn't have the medical resources of NYC. They have a lot of people who smoke, fmr. coal miners with black lung disease, the opoid crisis, etc.

One of the best QnAs was a question about vaccines. vaccines for shingles, flu and pneumonia don't provide any cross-vaccine help for COVID-19.

The best is that getting vaccinated to prevent flu, pneumonia, etc. because getting any them stresses the respiratory system and then COVID-19 is kind of like a 1 - 2 punch.
(This post was last modified: 04-06-2020 07:04 AM by emu steve.)
04-06-2020 07:03 AM
BeatWestern! Offline
All American

I Root For: Central Michigan
(04-06-2020 07:03 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(04-06-2020 02:21 AM)pono Wrote:  too soon. let's do our best to control the outbreak and support those on the frontlines. we mostly blew it for the first 3 months. and the federal response the last month has been ineffective and disjointed. if local hospitals and communities with state support can flatten things out, make it through april and we come to the aid of the hard hit areas we could manage this wave. but if the more isolated and less populated states start to see it in May with much less health care resources there's gonna be another brutal round in the small cities and rural areas. to get it somewhat under control we'll need to have quick free accurate testing yesterday, understand more about the illness and communicate all that information accurately and make sure everyone has immediate access to sufficient health care, so we don't keep having outbreaks. yeah, all that happens more or less, and you could have some form of football. and, btw, don't expect a miracle cure or fully effective vaccine that doesn't give you diarrhea by then.

Lot of good points.

Just consider our long lost brother, Marshall. They are in a state which doesn't have the medical resources of NYC. They have a lot of people who smoke, fmr. coal miners with black lung disease, the opoid crisis, etc.

One of the best QnAs was a question about vaccines. vaccines for shingles, flu and pneumonia don't provide any cross-vaccine help for COVID-19.

The best is that getting vaccinated to prevent flu, pneumonia, etc. because getting any them stresses the respiratory system and then COVID-19 is kind of like a 1 - 2 punch.

Yep, I bet our friends in Huntington, WV wish they were back in the MAC right now. These budget cuts are difficult enough for us MAC members with our tight conference footprint. Imagine what life is like in C-USA these days.

FIRE UP CHIPS! :)
04-06-2020 08:36 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(04-06-2020 08:36 AM)BeatWestern! Wrote:  

Lot of good points.

Yep, I bet our friends in Huntington, WV wish they were back in the MAC right now. These budget cuts are difficult enough for us MAC members with our tight conference footprint. Imagine what life is like in C-USA these days.

FIRE UP CHIPS! :)

Yep. Bad move.
04-06-2020 09:22 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
I don't see travel costs as being a big issue for the moment. Seems like every single school in every single conference has fairly similar sports travel costs right now.

There is absolutely no reason to expect that there will be a flu-like ebbing of the epidemic as summer approaches. The reason the regular seasonal flu goes in waves like that is because there is so much immunity spread around that it really needs optimal conditions to spread.

This is a novel virus for the population, so it's a lot more like a novel flu. Novel strains of fly spread outside of "normal" flu season. However, it is still not a perfect analogy. A lot of the summer ebbing for those is that because they are still evolved from earlier strains of flu, there is still a lot of partial immunity spread around older members of the population so transmission by school children is very important, and the "summer drop" is more because school children have gone home for summer.

There might be SOME benefit, but if hotter weather and quicker drying of deposited aerosols on surfaces means that the R0 drops from 2.5 to 2, that's still a runaway infectious disease unless some form of social distancing is in place. And it only helps when outside ... inside an air conditioned supermarket or mall or restaurant or bar will still be wonderful conditions for the covid19 to spread.

If the US gets the planning and work started to work to getting the kind of testing programs underway that are already in place and working in many countries around the world with a more competent response, it may be possible to start up a shortened football season based on regular testing of football teams and playing in closed stadiums, but a normal football season would seem more like hope for Fall 2021. Seems like we blew the chance to have a "fans in stadiums" Fall 2020 back when word of the virus was first received and nothing was done for 70 days.
04-10-2020 07:21 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(04-10-2020 07:21 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I don't see travel costs as being a big issue for the moment. Seems like every single school in every single conference has fairly similar sports travel costs right now.

There is absolutely no reason to expect that there will be a flu-like ebbing of the epidemic as summer approaches. The reason the regular seasonal flu goes in waves like that is because there is so much immunity spread around that it really needs optimal conditions to spread.

This is a novel virus for the population, so it's a lot more like a novel flu. Novel strains of fly spread outside of "normal" flu season. However, it is still not a perfect analogy. A lot of the summer ebbing for those is that because they are still evolved from earlier strains of flu, there is still a lot of partial immunity spread around older members of the population so transmission by school children is very important, and the "summer drop" is more because school children have gone home for summer.

There might be SOME benefit, but if hotter weather and quicker drying of deposited aerosols on surfaces means that the R0 drops from 2.5 to 2, that's still a runaway infectious disease unless some form of social distancing is in place. And it only helps when outside ... inside an air conditioned supermarket or mall or restaurant or bar will still be wonderful conditions for the covid19 to spread.

If the US gets the planning and work started to work to getting the kind of testing programs underway that are already in place and working in many countries around the world with a more competent response, it may be possible to start up a shortened football season based on regular testing of football teams and playing in closed stadiums, but a normal football season would seem more like hope for Fall 2021. Seems like we blew the chance to have a "fans in stadiums" Fall 2020 back when word of the virus was first received and nothing was done for 70 days.

Spare me the political propaganda. China waged war on this country. Dr Fauci, WHO, etc were lock step with China in saying this was not a threat to this country. China waged war on this country, that is who you should be mad at , not POTUS. PoTuS blocked travel from China which saved lives while people like you called him a bigot.
04-10-2020 08:24 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

Lot of good points.

Federal response was incredible and saved lives. China waged war. There were some failures at state level for sure , like in NY
04-10-2020 08:26 AM
GoChips Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: CMU
(04-10-2020 08:24 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Spare me the political propaganda. China waged war on this country. Dr Fauci, WHO, etc were lock step with China in saying this was not a threat to this country. China waged war on this country, that is who you should be mad at , not POTUS. PoTuS blocked travel from China which saved lives while people like you called him a bigot.

Trump (IMPOTUS) blocked travel like the CMU line of 2018. 40,000 people entered the US from China after the supposed ban. Also, there was a 69 page Pandemic Response Manual (Pandemic for Dummies) that the Trump administration has ignored, choosing instead to reinvent the wheel. So, yes, I'm mad at Trump's incompetence.
04-10-2020 09:02 AM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(04-10-2020 09:02 AM)GoChips Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 08:24 AM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Spare me the political propaganda. China waged war on this country. Dr Fauci, WHO, etc were lock step with China in saying this was not a threat to this country. China waged war on this country, that is who you should be mad at , not POTUS. PoTuS blocked travel from China which saved lives while people like you called him a bigot.

Trump (IMPOTUS) blocked travel like the CMU line of 2018. 40,000 people entered the US from China after the supposed ban. Also, there was a 69 page Pandemic Response Manual (Pandemic for Dummies) that the Trump administration has ignored, choosing instead to reinvent the wheel. So, yes, I'm mad at Trump's incompetence.

He did everything he could, the response has been incredible. If you want to blame.anyone , blame the people responsible for putting out bad info
04-10-2020 10:19 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(04-10-2020 07:21 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  I don't see travel costs as being a big issue for the moment. Seems like every single school in every single conference has fairly similar sports travel costs right now.

The President ???? ... said there is no need for national testing. If so, then who will be responsible for the local. state. regional testing and who will determine if it is uniform testing in all 50-states?

This guy and apparently the people around him have no idea of how to view anything except through the $sign.
04-10-2020 11:46 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
I wouldn't pay much attention to what MD has to say. A month ago he was saying everyone was overreacting and that we should go on with our day-to-day lives. Now he's saying some states didn't do enough to prepare. I do agree some states have handled the situation better than others, but it seems a bit hypocritical to call out others for not doing enough when you're one of the people who treated the pandemic like it was fake news to begin with.
04-10-2020 02:30 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(04-10-2020 02:30 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I wouldn't pay much attention to what MD has to say. A month ago he was saying everyone was overreacting and that we should go on with our day-to-day lives. Now he's saying some states didn't do enough to prepare. I do agree some states have handled the situation better than others, but it seems a bit hypocritical to call out others for not doing enough when you're one of the people who treated the pandemic like it was fake news to begin with.

The response is overreacting. The virus itself is not a hoax, but the media hysteria panic and the stay at home orders are a total over-reaction and a hoax with an obvious blatant political agenda. This is not much worse than the normal flu to be honest. The federal response was excellent, the biggest part of it was shutting off travel from abroad. The destruction and death caused from the economic shutdown in this country in the end will FAR FAR FAR outweigh the damage from the virus. COVID is bad or the elderly, just like the normal flue, and we have China to blame for bringing the virus. They intentionally misled with the help from WHO
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2020 07:39 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
04-10-2020 07:37 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(04-10-2020 11:46 AM)cleveland Wrote:  

The President ???? ... said there is no need for national testing. If so, then who will be responsible for the local. state. regional testing and who will determine if it is uniform testing in all 50-states?

This guy and apparently the people around him have no idea of how to view anything except through the $sign.

Unfortunately food cost $$$, and people will die in much greater numbers from poverty over the next several years than they will from this virus. Also an interesting thing to note is the blatant overreporting of deaths from the virus. Hospitals are being told to classify the death as COVID no matter what.
04-10-2020 07:38 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(04-10-2020 07:37 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 02:30 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  I wouldn't pay much attention to what MD has to say. A month ago he was saying everyone was overreacting and that we should go on with our day-to-day lives. Now he's saying some states didn't do enough to prepare. I do agree some states have handled the situation better than others, but it seems a bit hypocritical to call out others for not doing enough when you're one of the people who treated the pandemic like it was fake news to begin with.

The response is overreacting. The virus itself is not a hoax, but the media hysteria panic and the stay at home orders are a total over-reaction and a hoax with an obvious blatant political agenda. This is not much worse than the normal flu to be honest. The federal response was excellent, the biggest part of it was shutting off travel from abroad. The destruction and death caused from the economic shutdown in this country in the end will FAR FAR FAR outweigh the damage from the virus. COVID is bad or the elderly, just like the normal flue, and we have China to blame for bringing the virus. They intentionally misled with the help from WHO

You specifically called out New York for not doing enough. You also said that the stay at home order is an overreaction. Please enlighten me, what do you feel New York should have done differently? It seems like they've already put more strict measures in place to slow the spread than what you're saying they should.
04-10-2020 08:15 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(04-10-2020 07:38 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(04-10-2020 11:46 AM)cleveland Wrote:  

Unfortunately food cost $$$, and people will die in much greater numbers from poverty over the next several years than they will from this virus. Also an interesting thing to note is the blatant overreporting of deaths from the virus. Hospitals are being told to classify the death as COVID no matter what.

that's simply false. it has been heavily reported by all sorts of news sources that COVID deaths are generally underreported due to lack of testing and people who have not been tested and pass away are often not tested post mortum. In addition, deaths at home and in care homes are often not counted on the COVID tally. Italy for instance has a much higher unofficial COVID death toll than what has been reported. As far as economic woes killing people that is a constant thing in this world. It is a reflection on the economic system not the handling of a public health crisis that would be far worse if strict social and work restrictions were not in place.
04-11-2020 03:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.