Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Should Players be given Another year of Egibility Due to cancellations?
Bookmark and Share
hburg Offline

I Root For: James Madison
MyBB Should Players be given Another year of Egibility Due to cancellations?
This is what Geno Auriemma believes should happen. I agree based on the fact that many of the seniors who would have made it to the NCAA tournament will not be give the chance to either win a championship or repeat as champions or for the first time ever play in the NCAA tournament.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28894044
03-12-2020 10:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Should Players be given Another year of Egibility Due to cancellations?
What about scholarship caps/numbers? Does this mean incoming freshmen wouldn't get a slot, or would have to "redshirt" etc? How do you implement this in a way that doesn't favor some schools? What if some schools can't afford additional scholarships?

While I think the argument makes some sense, it may not be trivial to implement in a way that is fair to all.
03-12-2020 11:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hburg Offline

All of that should be lifted for one year.
03-13-2020 06:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I say do it. It would be one heck of a year for college basketball with very deep senior laden teams and kind of how it used to be before the prevalence of one and done players. It would definitely favor mid majors who keep their players for all 4 years.

Incoming Freshman would take the brunt and have less playing time, but I’m okay with that as they learn the college game. If they are good enough, then they will play.

Think about how competitive practices will be as some teams would have 17 or 18 guys vying for PT.
03-13-2020 06:13 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Nah, people need to learn how to accept disappointment. No special snowflake rule changes. It sucks but it’s life. Suck it up buttercup.
03-13-2020 06:25 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

I feel awful for the seniors but I don’t think something like this seems realistic. Would be a massive advantage for senior heavy teams. I think they should’ve suspended instead of flat out cancelling, especially for further off championships like baseball, but letting seniors stay another year without counting their scholarship against the limit seems pretty far.
03-13-2020 06:35 AM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

for winter sports that basically completed their regular seasons and were moving toward postseason, i say no.

yea it sucks for the Dayton's and Rutgers's and seniors and one and doners on many teams, but such is life. This is out of everyone's control.

but for spring seasons that barely got started.....softball, baseball, lacrosse, etc, then i say yes.

those seniors were robbed of basically their entire season and should get that back. its almost like the 4-game redshirt rule in football.
03-13-2020 06:40 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
For Spring Sports, yes.

Winter Sports? Not sure how you do that....some teams were already done.
03-13-2020 07:00 AM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

For Spring sports I would say yes and only spring sports.

Winter sports missed playoffs but played the full regular season.

Even for Spring sports I wonder if it is a good idea and how it would play out with the cascade effect. By that I mean scholarship/eligibility for incoming freshmen. Is it fair to screw them over for something they also had no control over. Given that unless something can be done that makes sense for everyone (which I doubt bc how does it ever get reset)........I would just roll with it and say too bad, based on circumstances beyond our control. The #1 mission of colleges/universities is to educate and as long as classes are available and can educate and students can matriculate the #1 mission for existence has been met.
03-13-2020 07:58 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(03-13-2020 06:25 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Nah, people need to learn how to accept disappointment. No special snowflake rule changes. It sucks but it’s life. Suck it up buttercup.

This. We all deal with events in which we have no control that suck.
03-13-2020 08:02 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(03-13-2020 07:58 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  For Spring sports I would say yes and only spring sports.

Even for Spring sports I wonder if it is a good idea and how it would play out with the cascade effect. By that I mean scholarship/eligibility for incoming freshmen. Is it fair to screw them over for something they also had no control over. Given that unless something can be done that makes sense for everyone (which I doubt bc how does it ever get reset)........I would just roll with it and say too bad, based on circumstances beyond our control. The #1 mission of colleges/universities is to educate and as long as classes are available and can educate and students can matriculate the #1 mission for existence has been met.

this is all true, but at the same time, we all assume the graduating seniors WANT to come back.

there will be a handful done with school who opt to move on. it will not be 100% who return. Many, if not the majority, will hit the pros (if they are able) or hit the real world.

so i feel the scholarship issue and freshmen issue will work itself out fine. I'd like to see at least the option of returning available for those who would like to do so.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 08:34 AM by Duke Dawg.)
03-13-2020 08:33 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(03-13-2020 06:25 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Nah, people need to learn how to accept disappointment. No special snowflake rule changes. It sucks but it’s life. Suck it up buttercup.

And even if you want to make the argument that it's only fair to bring the Seniors back, you'd have to weigh that against the freshmen, sophomores and juniors who DON'T get those years back, and now have to wait an additional year to get bigger roles on their teams while still losing a year of eligibility. How is that fair for them?

We know High School Seniors won't get their years back. Creating a glut in the college ranks really can't happen unless the NCAA foots the bill.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 08:51 AM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
03-13-2020 08:50 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(03-13-2020 08:33 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 07:58 AM)ShadyP Wrote:  For Spring sports I would say yes and only spring sports.

this is all true, but at the same time, we all assume the graduating seniors WANT to come back.

there will be a handful done with school who opt to move on. it will not be 100% who return. Many, if not the majority, will hit the pros (if they are able) or hit the real world.

so i feel the scholarship issue and freshmen issue will work itself out fine. I'd like to see at least the option of returning available for those who would like to do so.

Yes, give them the option to return and play without academic responsibility. This isn't about learning to be disappointed, this is a worldwide issue and governing bodies decided to cancel instead of suspend. The issues would be internal with playing time but that competition happens anyway.
03-13-2020 08:56 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Okay, the Seniors can come back...but they can only play in the tournament (if their team makes it that far). (J/king)

While I feel sorry and disappointment for the lost opportunity for the Seniors, I think this is one of those raw deals they’ll just have to accept and move past. Most likely this disappointment won’t be the last time in life they’ll face such a challenge.

Made me think about my dearly departed Dad who would have liked to have competed in the Helsinki Olympics as one of the top sprinters from the U.S. Uncle Sam had other plans after he graduated with his commission, however, and instead of using his youthful athleticism to run around a track in Europe he spent it dodging Chinese bullets on Line Kansas in the Punch Bowl area of Korea. No Gold, Silver or Bronze for running, but he did receive a Bronze Star for his service during that “police action.” It worked out okay for him, and I’m sure it will as well for this year’s senior class.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 09:12 AM by Longhorn.)
03-13-2020 09:10 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I think folks may be surprised at how many guys/gals in their final season of eligibility are ready for it to just end...many graduating and getting on with their lives whether into the business world, grad school, whatever. A lot of these student-athletes have been going non-stop in their sport since they were little kids. Much more today, it is even more pronounced when helicopter parents made them (IMO foolishly) pick one sport and concentrate on it 365/24/7 instead of playing multiple sports and/or participate in other activities (band, drama, scouting, etc.).

A similar scenario exists whenever I read fanboys on D1A football message boards talking about one of the benefits of making a meaningless exhibition game in December (aka bowl games) is the additional weeks of practice. In truth, the vast majority of the roster is just ready to get the season over by that point - except perhaps for those in the playoffs or having a breakthrough type of season - and there really isn't much new implemented between their final regular season game and their exhibition.
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2020 09:26 AM by Wear Purple.)
03-13-2020 09:25 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I would love to see the seniors on this JMU WBB team play in the NCAA Tournament. I know they would love to play in the NCAAT too (who wouldn't?). This is a terrible situation that is out of the hands of the seniors. It sucks that their seasons/careers end this way. That's why I think the NCAA should still have a selection show for the MBB and WBB tournaments. The players can still say they were on an NCAA Tournament team and, on the off chance they can play the games at a later date, we have a tournament set and ready to go.
03-13-2020 09:48 AM
Advertisement

orange-to-purple Online
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
NO!!!! And Geno is the biggest whiner on God's earth. Yes, it sucks for the kids. Big time. For the girls, most of them will be graduating anyway and going on to other things, whether it be basketball or careers. On the men's side, there could be a real positive...maybe some of those boys will stay in school another year, grow up, and get some learning!
03-13-2020 09:59 AM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(03-13-2020 09:59 AM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  NO!!!! And Geno is the biggest whiner on God's earth. Yes, it sucks for the kids. Big time. For the girls, most of them will be graduating anyway and going on to other things, whether it be basketball or careers. On the men's side, there could be a real positive...maybe some of those boys will stay in school another year, grow up, and get some learning!

Hopefully the seniors have done plenty of learning in their four years in school 04-cheers. But I think you mean the one and done guys. They would be out of school regardless. This draft is a weak class, and there is no guarantee that having a good year next year as Sophomores would have them leap frog the incoming Frosh. So long story short, they gone!
03-13-2020 12:07 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

Sounds like spring sports athletes get another year, TBD on what they'll do with winter athletes.
03-13-2020 12:41 PM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

While acknowledging how much this really, really sucks for these young athletes, there's no way to do anything for winter sports other than just move on as normal next year.

If you say "only athletes still competing" get an eligibility year, it allows the rich to get richer in sports like swimming where only the super elite athletes were competing.

Even in basketball, the rich will get richer. Yes, some of the tippy top tier will still go to the NBA, but the kids who are mid to upper level starters on a good, major conference team will enroll in some classes and play an extra year. So again, it's a competitive imbalance.

Then, as some of you also mentioned, what about scholarship allocations? Does a team who has three people choose to use the extra year then just get three more scholarships? Or does everyone get X amount of scholarships? If that happened, you know kids who were non-starter seniors would get shuffled elsewhere. Maybe they use the name grad year rule - or would there be a new rule where they have to use the bonus year at the institution where they played this year?

It's a bummer. I'm impressed with the maturity and gratitude that's been publicly expressed by our JMU seniors. I don't think I'd have had that level of clarity and wide world view at that age. I would have been smart enough to shut up and not complain while a pandemic was going on, but there's no way I could have crafted as genuine of an expression as players like Smalls and Gordon did right after their senior years got cancelled -- and I only played a club sport. These students were playing for top 30 teams in D1 and had it instantly ripped away from them. That's a tough pill. But life is tough.

I feel for the student-athletes, but I don't see a fix. (Maaayybee spring sports are different than winter, but a lot of the issues still exist.)
03-13-2020 12:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.