Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Sorta OT: School closings
Bookmark and Share
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Any rumblings around JMU about keeping things shuttered over this hysteria?

Apparently uva is to remain closed indefinitely, as its Spring Break now, they’re not reopening at any set date.

IMHO this is waaaay overblown, but I’m not calling the shots either. Anyone heard anything yet?
03-11-2020 12:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee, JMU,
RE: Sorta OT: School closings
I agree with you that it's way overblown, but then some of the snobby rich kids at UVA were probably going on cruises or to ForiDUH on spring break to act the fool, so they WOULD be spreading it. Now they might have to stay home with Mummy and Daddy. /s (Yes, Mr. OTP is a UVA alum...he doesn't have any use for their ilk either, and pages of the alumni mag are catbox liner here)
03-11-2020 01:00 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
With the number of international students that may have gone home over SB, I'm not sure I'd say it's overblown. College kids aren't known for their hygiene and often sick, so it could spread pretty quickly on a college campus before anyone (most likely the professors) showed any symptoms. I mean...look at the spread of mumps at JMU last year or the year before last. And that's mumps... UVA kids are also not kids who would self-quarantine if it means risking their grades.

I'd imagine as a professor it's easier to handle all students in distance learning vs. 75% in class and 25% online. Longhorn may be able to shed more light on that.

Not saying I 100% agree with it, but I wouldn't call it overblown.
03-11-2020 01:04 PM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Not overblown. I would rather be cautious now than wish these steps had been taken later.

With no vaccine and limited treatment options, the health care system will collapse if the spread isn't slowed.
03-11-2020 01:08 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
See if this works. Coincidentally this just popped up in my “alerts”

https://www.jmu.edu/index.shtml

Seems business as usual for now at JMU.

C-vile is on full on lockdown. Go home, stay home if out for SB. If you need books, computers or whatever come grab your stuff and go back.
03-11-2020 01:09 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

Be cautious. Not panicky. People are blowing this WAY out of proportion. Of all the people who catch COVID-19, only 20% will have symptoms severe enough to require medical attention beyond a test. The symptoms will, for most people, be those of a viral bronchitis or pneumonia, which most of us have had at some time or other. The ones AT RISK are those with *underlying medical conditions* and SMOKERS, as well as those with depressed immune systems. Wash your hands and stop touching your face. Don't shake hands. Cough into your elbow and stay home when you're sick, FFS. Also stay home if your kid is sick--don't send them to school or daycare or the babysitter!
03-11-2020 01:15 PM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

(03-11-2020 01:15 PM)orange-to-purple Wrote:  Be cautious. Not panicky. People are blowing this WAY out of proportion. Of all the people who catch COVID-19, only 20% will have symptoms severe enough to require medical attention beyond a test. The symptoms will, for most people, be those of a viral bronchitis or pneumonia, which most of us have had at some time or other. The ones AT RISK are those with *underlying medical conditions* and SMOKERS, as well as those with depressed immune systems. Wash your hands and stop touching your face. Don't shake hands. Cough into your elbow and stay home when you're sick, FFS. Also stay home if your kid is sick--don't send them to school or daycare or the babysitter!

You're not wrong. However, how many people does the average adult come into contact with in a week? A few dozen? Maybe a hundred or so? The average college student comes into contact with thousands who, as you stated, will probably not show symptoms. As 2004 stated, the key is slow the spread so that those who show severe symptoms have medical professionals who are available to see them. If everyone goes about their business, it spreads like crazy, and the people with symptoms are double what are healthcare system can handle, then the mortality rate skyrockets. If people take sensible steps (including avoiding contact with thousands of people), then there is a great chance of the mortality rate staying low.

Buying a year's supply of TP and 3 months worth of food (or not eating Chinese food) is dumb. Avoiding large gatherings of people, especially after they've been traveling, is not dumb.
03-11-2020 01:27 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
JMU announcement expected at 3pm.
03-11-2020 01:39 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
The issue isn't the danger posed to the young and healthy. The issue is the young and healthy spreading it to the susceptible population. Not sure a culling of our elderly is worth some inconvenience. Yes, there will always be folks who want to "sell newspapers" but this stuff should be of serious concern for a sizable portion of our population.
03-11-2020 02:09 PM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(03-11-2020 02:09 PM)2Buck Wrote:  The issue isn't the danger posed to the young and healthy. The issue is the young and healthy spreading it to the susceptible population. Not sure a culling of our elderly is worth some inconvenience. Yes, there will always be folks who want to "sell newspapers" but this stuff should be of serious concern for a sizable portion of our population.

Yeah and ~1% mortality is a whole lot of deaths if it spreads enough. It's pretty crazy to see something bring about the NBA, NHL, and NCAA likely playing in empty arenas or altogether cancelling games. Even crazier to see people thinking those big businesses are flushing that much money down the drain for no reason.
03-11-2020 02:22 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
This outbreak sucks. We're well past containment. I don't think closing schools is going to fix the problem but that's just me. I'm with OTP... be cautious, wash yo hands, protect yourself, keep a safe social distance, and hang on for the ride. If you are over 50 and/or have other health issues, take extra good care of yourself.
03-11-2020 02:37 PM
Advertisement

JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
I think what the "overreact" crowd forgets is that our healthcare system operates AT or NEAR capacity during normal times.

This virus sends 15% of the infected to the hospital, with 5% needing ventilators. These people aren't usually hanging out recovering, they are in the ICU. The USA has roughly 65k-100k ICU beds in total.

So basically, if this continues to spread exponentially, you will have a healthcare meltdown similar to what is happening right now in Italy. There is no excess capacity to absorb those patients, so you hope to slow the growth and smooth the infection curve. That is why limiting public gatherings is important.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2020 03:18 PM by JMU2004.)
03-11-2020 02:40 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(03-11-2020 02:22 PM)KickItToScotty Wrote:  
(03-11-2020 02:09 PM)2Buck Wrote:  The issue isn't the danger posed to the young and healthy. The issue is the young and healthy spreading it to the susceptible population. Not sure a culling of our elderly is worth some inconvenience. Yes, there will always be folks who want to "sell newspapers" but this stuff should be of serious concern for a sizable portion of our population.

Yeah and ~1% mortality is a whole lot of deaths if it spreads enough. It's pretty crazy to see something bring about the NBA, NHL, and NCAA likely playing in empty arenas or altogether cancelling games. Even crazier to see people thinking those big businesses are flushing that much money down the drain for no reason.

That's their estimate for the general population. It's exponentially higher for the elderly. There have got to be at least 10 million people over 80 in this county. Flu kills enough, and that's with a vaccine.

I think some of these venues are also thinking about liability/law suits. This is probably going to (figuratively) sink the cruise line industry.
03-11-2020 02:43 PM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

Delayed release, but here’s the latest. Short version, no in-person classes next week, resuming with online classes the week after. I’ve no idea how this will impact lab and fine arts courses.

http://jmu.imodules.com/controls/email_m...9ad7f757ac
03-11-2020 02:57 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
all in person classes suspended until Apr 5
03-11-2020 03:06 PM
Dukester Offline

(03-11-2020 02:37 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  This outbreak sucks. We're well past containment. I don't think closing schools is going to fix the problem but that's just me. I'm with OTP... be cautious, wash yo hands, protect yourself, keep a safe social distance, and hang on for the ride. If you are over 50 and/or have other health issues, take extra good care of yourself.

Over 60.

50 is young. 05-mafia
03-11-2020 03:35 PM
Advertisement

jmufan2008 Offline
All American

Both MBB and WBB NCAA Tournaments will be closed to the public. Only essential staff and limited family attendance allowed.
03-11-2020 03:43 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-11-2020 02:40 PM)JMU2004 Wrote:  I think what the "overreact" crowd forgets is that our healthcare system operates AT or NEAR capacity during normal times.

This virus sends 15% of the infected to the hospital, with 5% needing ventilators. These people aren't usually hanging out recovering, they are in the ICU. The USA has roughly 65k-100k ICU beds in total.

So basically, if this continues to spread exponentially, you will have a healthcare meltdown similar to what is happening right now in Italy. There is no excess capacity to absorb those patients, so you hope to slow the growth and smooth the infection curve. That is why limiting public gatherings is important.

THIS is the issue. We will be looking at a LOT higher than 1% fatality if we run out of ICU capacity. The key is to delay and spread things out as much as possible to prevent a shortage of care for those that will need it to survive. Everything possible to "flatten" the curve needs to be done.
03-11-2020 03:46 PM
Dukester Offline

The Atlantic 10 conference is suspending handshakes for its conference tournament.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

They will sweat, slobber, and all handle the same basketball, but they won't shake hands. They will dive on top of each other, and slap hands and arms, but "no hand shaking".
03-11-2020 03:50 PM
orange-to-purple Offline
1st String

(03-11-2020 03:50 PM)Dukester Wrote:  The Atlantic 10 conference is suspending handshakes for its conference tournament.

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

They will sweat, slobber, and all handle the same basketball, but they won't shake hands. They will dive on top of each other, and slap hands and arms, but "no hand shaking".

~SMDH~

Some things don't make sense. Like how in this country we get all bent out of shape about the tiniest bit of blood spotting on a uniform. I watch international rugby and the guys get bloodied, get bandaged, and then so what if the blood seeps through the bandage later? Nobody seems to get freaked out. It's weird. PS. Rugby is a GREAT sport. My oldest granddaughter plays for the UT rugby club and loves it. I seriously doubt if most American footballers could deal with it at all, except maybe some wide receivers, tight ends, and of course Tyreek Hill.
03-11-2020 04:05 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.