wow
03-10-2020 10:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Yosef Himself Offline
Heisman

I Root For: App State
RE: Ivy Tournament cancelled
That's... Something. I bet their media partner (ESPN+?) can't bee too happy about that.
03-10-2020 10:31 AM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
Fear running wild
03-10-2020 10:33 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Will there still be a game thread?
03-10-2020 10:34 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
After hearing Geno Auriemma ripping the NCAA a new one, as unpopular a decision this is, at least it's more consistently logical.

Simple risk aversion. You see a dark alley with ruffians. So, don't go down the alley.
03-10-2020 10:39 AM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(03-10-2020 10:31 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  That's... Something. I bet their media partner (ESPN+?) can't bee too happy about that.

I’m sure ESPN will have a 2 hour bracketology prediction show with Dick Vitale crying about Purdue
03-10-2020 10:48 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Im surprised. That said---the Ivy League kind of marches to the beat of their own drum. I am starting to wonder if they will be the only one....given the current TV coverage, my guess is early ticket sales for most every conference tournament are probably down.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 11:31 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-10-2020 11:29 AM
Heisman

(03-10-2020 11:29 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im surprised. That said---the Ivy League kind of marches to the beat of their own drum. I am starting to wonder if they will be the only one....given the current TV coverage, my guess is early ticket sales for most every conference tournament are probably down.

I was up in NYC over the weekend, and saw the Big East banners scattered across some of the light-posts. We hit up a museum...pretty darn dead.

I can imagine people thinking twice about both the Big East tournament and the A10 over at Barclays.
03-10-2020 11:37 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-10-2020 10:31 AM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  That's... Something. I bet their media partner (ESPN+?) can't bee too happy about that.

Honestly, the Ivy League probably couldn't care less what their media partner thinks. Unlike other conferences that have to bow and scrape at the altar of TV money, the IL doesn't care about or need that money at all.
03-10-2020 11:58 AM
Heisman

(03-10-2020 11:58 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

Honestly, the Ivy League probably couldn't care less what their media partner thinks. Unlike other conferences that have to bow and scrape at the altar of TV money, the IL doesn't care about or need that money at all.

More than just the media partner, but the schools themselves. They’re out a potential bid, had Yale lost in that thing and gotten the NIT spot.

Yale is the only one getting something out of this, and it’s just like how it used to be with the IL. Hard to feel bad for any of these schools, but I do feel bad for Harvard losing out on hosting that field of teams, and maybe coming out of it with a bid.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2020 12:07 PM by The Cutter of Bish.)
03-10-2020 12:06 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
Media fueled hysteria....
Almost laughable watching the media puppet politicians.
03-10-2020 12:09 PM
Advertisement

BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
Let me get this straight. The threat is too large to host a conference tournament. However, the threat is not to great to go to the NCAA tournament, which will have much larger crowds than the conference tournament. A double standard, if I ever saw one. Either go to both tournaments, or avoid going to both based on principle.
03-10-2020 12:11 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame

Harvard and Princeton are shutting down their campuses and telling all students to fulfil their academic requirements online.
03-10-2020 12:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Heisman

(03-10-2020 12:11 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Let me get this straight. The threat is too large to host a conference tournament. However, the threat is not to great to go to the NCAA tournament, which will have much larger crowds than the conference tournament. A double standard, if I ever saw one. Either go to both tournaments, or avoid going to both based on principle.

A lot can still happen in over a week.
03-10-2020 12:21 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(03-10-2020 12:11 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  Let me get this straight. The threat is too large to host a conference tournament. However, the threat is not to great to go to the NCAA tournament, which will have much larger crowds than the conference tournament. A double standard, if I ever saw one. Either go to both tournaments, or avoid going to both based on principle.

Whether to hold the conference tournament is really the only decision that the conference has direct control over.
03-10-2020 12:39 PM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
(03-10-2020 12:39 PM)Bogg Wrote:  

Whether to hold the conference tournament is really the only decision that the conference has direct control over.

They could also say we are not going to participate in the NCAA tournament due to the virus. They chose not to. Double standard. Cancel a tiny tournament with few fans. Go to a large event with many fans. Cancel going to both based on principle. Either that or go to both.
03-10-2020 12:46 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Will they also be announcing a name change to Entitled Snowflake Conference? Their initials will be ESC which ironically enough is also the abbreviation for Escape.
03-10-2020 12:48 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-10-2020 12:06 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  

More than just the media partner, but the schools themselves. They’re out a potential bid, had Yale lost in that thing and gotten the NIT spot.

Yale is the only one getting something out of this, and it’s just like how it used to be with the IL. Hard to feel bad for any of these schools, but I do feel bad for Harvard losing out on hosting that field of teams, and maybe coming out of it with a bid.

Yes, i feel bad for all the players on all the teams who don't get to compete in the conference tournament.
03-10-2020 12:53 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(03-10-2020 12:46 PM)BullsFanInTX Wrote:  They could also say we are not going to participate in the NCAA tournament due to the virus. They chose not to. Double standard. Cancel a tiny tournament with few fans. Go to a large event with many fans. Cancel going to both based on principle. Either that or go to both.

The Ivy League doesn't participate in the NCAA tournament. Its member schools do separately from the conference structure. The Ivy League functionally cancelled the rest of their basketball season, but whether or not to play additional non-conference games (be it NCAA/NIT/etc) is up to the individual schools.

You're basically suggesting that the Ivy League obtain an emergency court order barring Yale from playing any organized basketball, which they couldn't get even if they wanted one (and they don't, they're going to leave it up to the universities).
03-10-2020 12:56 PM
Fresno St. Alum Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Fresno St.
They coulda just played in an empty arena, college bball has done it before and soccer is doing it now. It's not like they are playing on a cruise ship in the Bay or Seattle
03-10-2020 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.