Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

D2 CIAA Conference Will Not Raid MEAC, But Will Talk Expansion Later
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
D2 CIAA Conference Will Not Raid MEAC, But Will Talk Expansion Later
CIAA/MEAC

The possible expansion candidates might be MEAC schools. Nobody from MEAC yet talk about moving back to D2, but they may accept the northern MEAC in the future when they talk expansion, and if the MEAC schools decides to downgrade.

Seems like a single to any MEAC schools that they will have a place in CIAA in the future.
02-29-2020 07:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: D2 CIAA Conference Will Not Raid MEAC, But Will Talk Expansion Later
You don’t say? Imagine a historically black D2 conference willing to accept the most well known HBCUs from D1. Shocking.
02-29-2020 11:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(02-29-2020 11:07 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  You don’t say? Imagine a historically black D2 conference willing to accept the most well known HBCUs from D1. Shocking.

I get what you're saying, but this might be kind of putting the pressure on the MEAC schools that are kind of thinking about it...
03-01-2020 12:41 AM
MercerFan Offline
Orange & Black

I Root For: The Bears

Donators
(02-29-2020 11:07 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  You don’t say? Imagine a historically black D2 conference willing to accept the most well known HBCUs from D1. Shocking.

My thoughts exactly! It sounds like the D2 conference is just hoping THEY won't be the one to get raided. Noted by this line in the article.. "McWilliams, however, also added she hopes the MEAC doesn’t look at the CIAA to add schools."
03-01-2020 11:57 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Is it really raiding if a D2 conference lets in a school who can no longer sustain D1? Seems more like helping them out.
03-01-2020 12:11 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(03-01-2020 12:11 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Is it really raiding if a D2 conference lets in a school who can no longer sustain D1? Seems more like helping them out.

Exactly.

A long-time administrator once told me there are at least 75 schools maybe 125 that would leave Division I if the president/chancellor believed they could survive the alumni outrage.

Many schools are in the same trap local governments find themselves in. The community wants a fix to the drainage problem, or the traffic problem or they'd just like some curbs and guttering and the voters will be mad until they get that thing but the voters also won't tolerate reallocating the current budget to pay for those things because they also want the pothole repairs, a city library, and ballparks for the youth programs and they won't vote to pay for the new things either. So the local government stays in turmoil because they can't get anything done.

Likewise a number of schools are Division I but they are not offering the full compliment of scholarships and the fans are frustrated that the hoops team spends nearly all of non-conference play chasing checks and rarely playing close and then struggle against league peers as well. The fans want it fixed but won't fund the fix.

They could go Division II fully fund their sports and pay competitive salaries but the fans won't tolerate that either.
03-02-2020 02:42 PM
Advertisement

Fighting Muskie Online

It sounds like the NCAA ought to ratchet up the requirements for DI, forcibly moving schools down, giving the Presidents and ADs a scapegoat for why they are moving down.
03-02-2020 05:48 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2020 05:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  It sounds like the NCAA ought to ratchet up the requirements for DI, forcibly moving schools down, giving the Presidents and ADs a scapegoat for why they are moving down.

Problem, you have way too many small schools at D1 that should not be there because they do not have the fan support/number of students to sell tickets to. There are larger schools at the D2 and D3 that could help tickets at D1.
03-02-2020 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
(03-02-2020 05:48 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  It sounds like the NCAA ought to ratchet up the requirements for DI, forcibly moving schools down, giving the Presidents and ADs a scapegoat for why they are moving down.

What interest does the NCAA have in forcing down schools? It's no skin off their nose if a low-major is barely hanging on. Schools have moved from 1 to 2 and 3 -- Centenary, Birmingham-Southern, most recently Savannah State. If things are that bad, there's a door for them to take. If they choose not to, well, the hint is in the word "choose."
03-02-2020 06:41 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Cuing the death nail for the MEAC.
06-01-2020 07:46 PM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
The CIAA tournament is actually a pretty big event, especially for a Division II conference. They average around 75,000 in weekly attendance. They have been playing at Bojangles Coliseum and Spectrum Center in Charlotte. It is moving from Charlotte to Baltimore next year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/ne...gains.html

I don't know how these schools view themselves. I know Howard is a highly regarded school that wouldn't be interested in a move to D-II. I don't know if the other schools would see a move to D-II and the CIAA as a step down.
06-01-2020 08:03 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Look at the date this thread was started. Those in the MEAC office hear David’s footsteps.
06-01-2020 08:08 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
There is plenty of outrage at D2 drops but remember, many of these schools grew up in the the CIAA and it has great brand equity in the HBCU South.
06-01-2020 08:21 PM
Fighting Muskie Online

Losing FAMU will be bad for the MEAC but not a death blow. They’d still have 9 for Olympic sports and 7 for football. As long as the losses stop there they are fine. Lose more than than that and they are in trouble. That could happen a number of ways:

B-C and/or S.C. St decide to drop to D2
the Big South comes for N.C. Central and/or Norfolk St

If one of those two happen they lose the football conference but could bring in Chicago St for an 8th Olympic sports member and stay afloat.

If both of those happen you might as well put a cattle call out for any warm body interested in coming up from D2
06-02-2020 07:17 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns

Did anyone but DavidSt read the link yet though?

EDIT: I have now read the link. CIAA says there's no talk of MEAC members moving down. She hopes the MEAC "is able to sustain what they have and maybe bring in somebody new", but hopes it isn't one of her schools.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020 07:54 AM by johnbragg.)
06-02-2020 07:49 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2020 07:49 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  

EDIT: I have now read the link. CIAA says there's no talk of MEAC members moving down. She hopes the MEAC "is able to sustain what they have and maybe bring in somebody new", but hopes it isn't one of her schools.

They also said that MEAC schools could have a home in the CIAA when more schools leave the conference.

SIAA in the meantime could get three of their schools merged into one in Georgia and be renamed Georgia A&M.
06-02-2020 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU

I suspect it was a stunt to get a little attention. No harm. Sort of like when the C7 announced their intention to break away from the football schools in the Big East, and the A10 commissioner immediately and publicly extended them invitations. Or when some independent-league baseball club offers a contract to a celebrity or a major sports star that got released.

The CIAA has no more ability to raid the MEAC, even in a weakened state, than a high school has to recruit college students.
06-02-2020 09:29 AM
Fighting Muskie Online

B-C would fit with the D2 SIAA or in the ASUN.

SC St works in both the SIAA and CIAA.

Norfolk St and N.C. Central would be nice pick ups if they want to go to 14.

Howard has a fighting chance at getting grabbed by a northern conference but if not the CIAA would be a comfortable landing spot.

Morgan St, Delaware St, Coppin St, and UMES are not schools that D1 conferences would be anxious to add so CIAA would be a good fit if the rest of the conference gets picked apart.

I bet they could sell the shell of the MEAC to C-USA East for a few million.
06-02-2020 09:49 AM
johnbragg Online
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(06-02-2020 09:24 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  

They also said that MEAC schools could have a home in the CIAA when more schools leave the conference.
Not in the article linked. Those words are not there.
06-02-2020 12:42 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(06-02-2020 09:24 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  SIAA in the meantime could get three of their schools merged into one in Georgia and be renamed Georgia A&M.

Cite? Georgia loves merging institutions, but I see nothing about this on Google. Georgia A&M is only a made up HBCU for a TV show.

I'm not convinced that Albany State and Fort Valley State make sense for a merger. Certainly including Savannah State does not when you look at it on a map. Not unless you're just intending to create a system that oversees the three campuses.
06-02-2020 02:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.