Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2021 season opener
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
2021 season opener
Enough with 2020 season, lets get to the start of the 2021 season...
02-18-2020 01:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
RE: 2021 season opener
Hour-twenty apart and they waste a game in Charlotte.
02-18-2020 01:47 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-18-2020 01:47 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Hour-twenty apart and they waste a game in Charlotte.

For Georgia they're replacing a home game with San Jose St for this. Win for Georgia fans IMO.

For Clemson they're probably replacing a home game with either South Carolina St or Wyoming for this. Win for Clemson fans.

both are playing on the road in their rival games in 2021.
02-18-2020 01:53 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
I hate neutral site games, but we pretty much don't have a choice in 2021 if we wanted to play two P5 programs OOC because of the screw job the ACC gave us with scheduling three games against the parasites in four years. Nobody was willing to wait until 2024 or after for a return game from 2021, so we were going to be stuck with either just one P5 OOC and seven home games or six home games and a neutral site against a P5. The fact that it's UGA makes up for a lot, but in all likelihood the ACC once again has cost Clemson money with a scheduling debacle.
02-18-2020 02:06 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-18-2020 02:06 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I hate neutral site games, but we pretty much don't have a choice in 2021 if we wanted to play two P5 programs OOC because of the screw job the ACC gave us with scheduling three games against the parasites in four years. Nobody was willing to wait until 2024 or after for a return game from 2021, so we were going to be stuck with either just one P5 OOC and seven home games or six home games and a neutral site against a P5. The fact that it's UGA makes up for a lot, but in all likelihood the ACC once again has cost Clemson money with a scheduling debacle.

Curious (and not saying you're wrong): how do you figure the ACC "screwed" Clemson on this? Was there a better option they withheld, or did they force the Tigers to play ND in an inconvenient year? I don't know any history that would lead me to that conclusion - but like I stated up front, neither am I saying it isn't true.
02-18-2020 03:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kaplony Offline

(02-18-2020 03:59 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 02:06 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  I hate neutral site games, but we pretty much don't have a choice in 2021 if we wanted to play two P5 programs OOC because of the screw job the ACC gave us with scheduling three games against the parasites in four years. Nobody was willing to wait until 2024 or after for a return game from 2021, so we were going to be stuck with either just one P5 OOC and seven home games or six home games and a neutral site against a P5. The fact that it's UGA makes up for a lot, but in all likelihood the ACC once again has cost Clemson money with a scheduling debacle.

Curious (and not saying you're wrong): how do you figure the ACC "screwed" Clemson on this? Was there a better option they withheld, or did they force the Tigers to play ND in an inconvenient year? I don't know any history that would lead me to that conclusion - but like I stated up front, neither am I saying it isn't true.

The ACC controls the teams that play the parasites. The ACC is the one who has Clemson playing the parasites in 2020, 2022 & 2023 with 2021 open. The ACC could have set it up to where the games instead ran @ parasites 2020, @ Clemson 2021, @parasites 2022 and we would have been able to line up another P5 series in 2023-2024. Instead they chose to spread the three games out over four years. It's costing us a home game, with home game revenue, in 2021 in a time when every single penny counts because of the growing revenue gap. That's how they screwed Clemson over yet again with stupid scheduling practices.
02-18-2020 04:40 PM
Advertisement

Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
Big bummer for App State getting the Saturday game versus ECU bumped. This is just another reminder that G5's are treated as second class.
02-18-2020 07:51 PM
B easy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
(02-18-2020 07:51 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Big bummer for App State getting the Saturday game versus ECU bumped. This is just another reminder that G5's are treated as second class.

ECU's used to it. Even though ECU split along with the top level of CFB way back in 1978 (Division-1A), ECU and most the other schools in the AAC have been considered outcasts. Which is precisely why we band together. Only Louisville & TCU have fully escaped the stain of C-USA & to be honest even they are both looked down upon within their own respective conferences.

At least the ECU vs APP game is being billed as part of a 2021 rivalry weekend series hosted by the Charlotte Sports Foundation. UGA & Clemson aren't bad teams to do an opening act for honestly and word on the street is both ECU & App are being compensated for the inconvenience. Sounds like a great start to the 2021 season in the Queen City of the South!

BTW, I really respect App State's ascent into FBS relevance. Maybe ECU will completely crawl our way out of the big hole we dug ourselves and give you guys a good game by then. 04-cheers

I'm really excited to revive this series. Most people don't realize the rich football history of this cross state rivalry that dates back to 1932 or that App State actually leads the all-time series 19-12. They also prolly don't realize that ECU has won 6 consecutive over the Mountaineers and haven't lost to App St. since way back in 1975 (a benefit of rolling with the big boys in '78). App was actually the replacement for WVU when the other Mountaineers left the Southern Conference around 1970. That's when ECU and App St competed as conference mates. That lasted only a few years up until ECU left App behind and followed the path of WVU and VT out of the Southern and into the Division I-A independent ranks (Marshall replaced ECU's spot in the Southern and eventually created a big rivalry with App as well).

Bottom line is, this is a game that should be played almost every single year simply because these are the only two football first FBS institutions in the state of NC and the East/West dynamic only increases the intrigue of this rivalry game.
02-18-2020 09:57 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
SJSU still gets its 1.8 million from Georgia. Probably will find another P5 school for a big payday.
Spartans got the BSU bonus equivalent.
02-18-2020 10:32 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
(02-18-2020 10:32 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  SJSU still gets its 1.8 million from Georgia. Probably will find another P5 school for a big payday.
Spartans got the BSU bonus equivalent.

I can see why BSU is staying.
02-20-2020 06:01 AM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(02-18-2020 09:57 PM)B easy Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 07:51 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  Big bummer for App State getting the Saturday game versus ECU bumped. This is just another reminder that G5's are treated as second class.

ECU's used to it. Even though ECU split along with the top level of CFB way back in 1978 (Division-1A), ECU and most the other schools in the AAC have been considered outcasts. Which is precisely why we band together. Only Louisville & TCU have fully escaped the stain of C-USA & to be honest even they are both looked down upon within their own respective conferences.

At least the ECU vs APP game is being billed as part of a 2021 rivalry weekend series hosted by the Charlotte Sports Foundation. UGA & Clemson aren't bad teams to do an opening act for honestly and word on the street is both ECU & App are being compensated for the inconvenience. Sounds like a great start to the 2021 season in the Queen City of the South!

BTW, I really respect App State's ascent into FBS relevance. Maybe ECU will completely crawl our way out of the big hole we dug ourselves and give you guys a good game by then. 04-cheers

I'm really excited to revive this series. Most people don't realize the rich football history of this cross state rivalry that dates back to 1932 or that App State actually leads the all-time series 19-12. They also prolly don't realize that ECU has won 6 consecutive over the Mountaineers and haven't lost to App St. since way back in 1975 (a benefit of rolling with the big boys in '78). App was actually the replacement for WVU when the other Mountaineers left the Southern Conference around 1970. That's when ECU and App St competed as conference mates. That lasted only a few years up until ECU left App behind and followed the path of WVU and VT out of the Southern and into the Division I-A independent ranks (Marshall replaced ECU's spot in the Southern and eventually created a big rivalry with App as well).

Bottom line is, this is a game that should be played almost every single year simply because these are the only two football first FBS institutions in the state of NC and the East/West dynamic only increases the intrigue of this rivalry game.

Great post!

I'm really looking forward to the games with ECU, too.

Also, great review of the history if the SoCon. That conference had a great football history, but with the notable exception of its recent rise in basketball (being close to getting multiple NCAA bids), that league's best days are behind them. Even forgetting that it once had much of the current SEC and ACC, its losses since th late 90's have been devastating in FCS football. Marshall, Ga. Southern, App State, and Furman were regular contenders for, and at one point all winners of, the national championship. Now the former three have moved on to varying degrees of success at the G5 level, and Furman has fallen far below its mid-80's to mid-2000's level of success. It has surrendered its former status as FCS powerhouse to the Mo. Valley Conference, CAA, and Big Sky. It's a little sad. I was thrilled when Appalachian moved on to the Sun Belt but never wished the SoCon to all but fall off the map in football. Ga. Southern and App have just proven irreplaceable.

Anyway, I dont like the App vs. ECU game being moved after it had been scheduled almost three years earlier than this Clemson vs. Georgia game, but it's just the way it is. App loses a lot of players after the 2020 season, including QB Zach Thomas, so I hope the team will be ready to reload and be ready for what I expect will be a much improved ECU team. Mike Houston has won everywhere he has coached, and I fully expect him to turn things around soon enough in Greenville. It should be a great game.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2020 01:10 PM by Michael in Raleigh.)
02-20-2020 12:40 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2020 04:40 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

The ACC controls the teams that play the parasites. The ACC is the one who has Clemson playing the parasites in 2020, 2022 & 2023 with 2021 open. The ACC could have set it up to where the games instead ran @ parasites 2020, @ Clemson 2021, @parasites 2022 and we would have been able to line up another P5 series in 2023-2024. Instead they chose to spread the three games out over four years. It's costing us a home game, with home game revenue, in 2021 in a time when every single penny counts because of the growing revenue gap. That's how they screwed Clemson over yet again with stupid scheduling practices.

That is what happens when ESPiN owns the conference.
02-21-2020 05:28 AM
Kaplony Offline

(02-21-2020 05:28 AM)sierrajip Wrote:  

Take off your tinfoil hat Poindexter. ESPN has absolutely nothing to do with the Notre Dame scheduling by the dumbasses at ACC HQ.
02-22-2020 07:37 PM
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU

4 national championship appearances in the last 5 years, and this guy is whining about having to play Notre Dame
02-22-2020 08:55 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(02-22-2020 08:55 PM)EvilVodka Wrote:  

4 national championship appearances in the last 5 years, and this guy is whining about having to play Notre Dame

Almost every other team would trade them in a second.
02-22-2020 10:26 PM
Schema Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Clemson
This Clemson fan is looking forward to all of the upcoming games against Notre Dame.
02-22-2020 10:35 PM
Advertisement

sierrajip Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2020 07:37 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

Take off your tinfoil hat Poindexter. ESPN has absolutely nothing to do with the Notre Dame scheduling by the dumbasses at ACC HQ.

If you say so. Are you calling ND parasites?
02-23-2020 05:34 AM
Kaplony Offline

(02-23-2020 05:34 AM)sierrajip Wrote:  
(02-22-2020 07:37 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-18-2020 03:59 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  Curious (and not saying you're wrong): how do you figure the ACC "screwed" Clemson on this? Was there a better option they withheld, or did they force the Tigers to play ND in an inconvenient year? I don't know any history that would lead me to that conclusion - but like I stated up front, neither am I saying it isn't true.

If you say so. Are you calling ND parasites?

Yes, Notre Dame is a parasite to ACC football. Contributes nothing yet gets to live off our bowl allotment.
02-23-2020 12:04 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(02-23-2020 12:04 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  ...Notre Dame is a parasite to ACC football. Contributes nothing yet gets to live off our bowl allotment.

Nah, I see them as more like intestinal symbiotes.
07-coffee3
02-24-2020 01:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Offline
Legend

maybe the ACC bowls wouldn't be as good if Notre Dame wasn't around?? Ever think about that???
02-24-2020 01:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.