Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bielema to Colorado?
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
Bielema to Colorado?
Everyone’s favorite perennial coaching candidate appears to be making headway in Boulder.

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: jen-bielema-karma.jpg]
02-18-2020 08:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
RE: Bielema to Colorado?
I don't get it.

Bailed Wisconsin when it seemed they were headed downward. Said he left because Wisconsin wouldn't pay competitive salaries for assistants, gets a much bigger assistant pool at Arkansas and has just as much staff turmoil at Arkansas. Seemed to have Arkansas pointed the right way then slid back into the muck.
02-18-2020 09:16 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
I don't get it either, but...

Quote:Sources tell FootballScoop Colorado plans to hire their next head football coach in the next 36 hours.

Bret Bielema and Troy Calhoun are strong candidates for the position, sources tell FootballScoop.
https://footballscoop.com/news/sources-c...a-hire-of/
02-19-2020 01:51 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
A job which is safe for Bielema. Won't be fired in the near future.
02-20-2020 05:56 AM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
Troy Calhoun was thought to be Clemson's choice before they decided to elevate Dabo.
02-20-2020 06:05 AM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
Bienamy out - staying in Kansas. Bielema, Calhoun, and Sarkisian interviewed this week as well as the interim coach. 07-coffee3
02-21-2020 01:52 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
uh...

[Image: BW-vnIQCMAAP1o7_crop_exact.jpg?w=600&...p;amp;q=75]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2020 02:13 PM by CliftonAve.)
02-21-2020 02:12 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(02-21-2020 01:52 PM)panite Wrote:  Bienamy out - staying in Kansas. Bielema, Calhoun, and Sarkisian interviewed this week as well as the interim coach. 07-coffee3

Sark is getting a raise. He's out of the running for the Colorado job.
02-21-2020 02:14 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
Brett McMurphy reporting Colorado nearing a deal with Miami Dolphin assistant Karl Dorrell. Dorrell was less than impressive at UCLA back in the mid 2000s
02-22-2020 04:18 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

Bret Bielema won the Big Ten 3 times, had 3 T10 finishes, and went to 3 Rose Bowls.

Karl Dorrell eclipsed 7 wins once at a program with more history and significantly better recruiting ground than CU or UW.

Picking Dorrell over Bielema is horrendous.
02-22-2020 04:42 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Oh, man. I remember going to the ND/UCLA game at ND in 2006 while in HS. ND was trailing that game late (and had played poorly all game). ND fans were anxious and getting restless. Two UCLA fans next to me were adamant and assured me (and our section) that UCLA (because of Dorrell) would blow the game late. They kept saying, "Oh, don't worry. We will blow a deep coverage." Literally, on the next play, Brady Quinn hits Jeff Samardzija for a 45-yard TD to take the lead (and win the game). As ND fans were cheering and going crazy, they just kept telling everyone "WE TOLD YOU NOT TO WORRY!" To this day, I am still amazed they were able to predict the ending.

Never in a million years did I think Dorrell would be a major college head coach again. Very shocking indeed. Hopefully, it works out better for Colorado than it did for UCLA.
02-22-2020 05:01 PM
Advertisement

IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

Karl Dorrell isn’t even a top-2 fired UCLA coach on the market. Jim Mora Jr won 36 games in 4 years before 2 subpar seasons.
02-22-2020 05:40 PM
OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
02-22-2020 05:53 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(02-22-2020 04:18 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Brett McMurphy reporting Colorado nearing a deal with Miami Dolphin assistant Karl Dorrell. Dorrell was less than impressive at UCLA back in the mid 2000s

OMG! I cannot believe that Colorado is about to hire Dorrell. A columnist in the LA Times nicknamed him "Coach Dullard." He was not the most inspiring coach at UCLA. He never looked comfortable at press conferences or meeting with the alumni. On the sidelines, he appeared aloof at times. The decision to hire him over Mike Riley was a mistake.

That said, he is very intelligent, honest and just a good guy. He cared about the kids. At UCLA he was well liked. It helped that he played in three Rose Bowls at UCLA. I would imagine that he got a recommendation from Bieniemy, who was an assistant coach under Dorrell from 2003-2005, including the 10-2 season in 2005. Hopefully, he learned from his mistakes and will be better the second time around as a head coach.
02-22-2020 06:27 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-22-2020 04:42 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Bret Bielema won the Big Ten 3 times, had 3 T10 finishes, and went to 3 Rose Bowls.

Karl Dorrell eclipsed 7 wins once at a program with more history and significantly better recruiting ground than CU or UW.

Disagree. I wouldn’t pick Bielema over anyone. He was nothing as a head coach without Alvarez to lean on.

Not saying Dorrell would have been my choice, though as a Cal fan, I have seen worse head coaches in my lifetime. Especially the one who is now BYU’s AD. 07-coffee3
02-22-2020 07:10 PM
sierrajip Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF
If Heupal leaves tomorrow, I believe an equal or better coach is hired. Is the UCF job better? I would say so.
02-23-2020 05:40 AM
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2020 07:10 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(02-22-2020 04:42 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  Bret Bielema won the Big Ten 3 times, had 3 T10 finishes, and went to 3 Rose Bowls.

Disagree. I wouldn’t pick Bielema over anyone. He was nothing as a head coach without Alvarez to lean on.

Not saying Dorrell would have been my choice, though as a Cal fan, I have seen worse head coaches in my lifetime. Especially the one who is now BYU’s AD. 07-coffee3

Bielema has no west coast recruiting experience and I think Sarkisian withdrew form contention so Colorado must feel Dorrell gives them the recruiting edge for the conference it is in. Good luck to Dorrell and Colorado.
02-23-2020 10:34 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
What was the problem with Calhoun? CU thinks they're too good for an option coach?
02-25-2020 08:59 AM
johnintx Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma
(02-22-2020 07:10 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Disagree. I wouldn’t pick Bielema over anyone. He was nothing as a head coach without Alvarez to lean on.

It gets worse. Tom Holmoe beat John Blake on both sides of a home-and-home between Cal and OU in the 90's. 04-jawdrop

Back to the original point, CU could have done better.
02-25-2020 02:38 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

(02-25-2020 02:38 PM)johnintx Wrote:  
(02-22-2020 07:10 PM)Wedge Wrote:  Disagree. I wouldn’t pick Bielema over anyone. He was nothing as a head coach without Alvarez to lean on.

It gets worse. Tom Holmoe beat John Blake on both sides of a home-and-home between Cal and OU in the 90's. 04-jawdrop

Back to the original point, CU could have done better.

Who could they have done better with. Just asking. 07-coffee3
02-26-2020 07:16 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.