Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

[News] Oscars Tanked..Ratings Down 20% from last years All Time low
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
[News] Oscars Tanked..Ratings Down 20% from last years All Time low
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...story.html

“It took all of ten seconds for the first winner at last night’s Oscars to unleash an angry political statement against President Trump.

Frankly, I’m only surprised it took that long.

Hollywood despises Trump with a volcanic passion despite many of its own leading lights representing exactly the same kind of ruthless, venal, self-aggrandizing, duplicitous, charlatan, narcissistic and hypocritical character traits they profess to most hate in him.

But shameless hypocrisy and chronic lack of self-awareness seem to go hand in hand with being a movie star these days.”
02-11-2020 03:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMTigerTim Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: [News] Oscars Tanked..Ratings Down 20% from last years All Time low
Oscars?

The only award show that matters is the People Choice Awards. All the others are just a bunch of actors and directors giving other actors and directors participation trophy's.
02-11-2020 04:06 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
They should have Ricky Gervais host them. I'm afraid he would make many of them cry though.
02-11-2020 04:10 PM
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
The SOTU TV ratings also were bad (37 million, worst numbers of the Trump presidency to date and down 21 percent from the 2019 numbers).

No one (hardly) watches live TV anymore. That's the bottom line. Nothing more to make of it than that.
02-11-2020 04:23 PM
Advertisement

banker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
(02-11-2020 04:23 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The SOTU TV ratings also were bad (37 million, worst numbers of the Trump presidency to date and down 21 percent from the 2019 numbers).

No one (hardly) watches live TV anymore. That's the bottom line. Nothing more to make of it than that.

Bad comparison. The Oscars were an all time low. While the SOTU speech was down this year, it was still 6,000,000 more people then watched Obama's last one in 2016.
02-11-2020 05:05 PM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(02-11-2020 05:05 PM)banker Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 04:23 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  The SOTU TV ratings also were bad (37 million, worst numbers of the Trump presidency to date and down 21 percent from the 2019 numbers).

Bad comparison. The Oscars were an all time low. While the SOTU speech was down this year, it was still 6,000,000 more people then watched Obama's last one in 2016.

SOTU was down cause most normal people are simply worn. the. F%$&. out of ALLLLL of it.
It's only weirdo's like us that hang around places like this talking and taking schit back and forth that follow all this on a daily basis.

Hell, it's more than a few times a week that I yearn to go back to the days of being at a kids Bball game or practice on a Tuesday evening, or doing drills on the football field 5 days a week til 8 o'clock August through November.

Just remind myself how fortunate and serendipitous it was that the bulk of that time was spent somewhat tuned out while zerO did his damnedest to ruin this great Country.

Now? Folks be getting just tuckered by all the winning, needed a little down time to go to the Baskin Robbins or Chuck E Cheese.
02-11-2020 05:18 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I must admit I didn’t watch either. If I thought Our President was going to do something other than kick Nancy Pelosi and the rest of the Lefties in the nuts for an hour I might have watched. Actually getting bored with watching Our President kick the hell out of the Democrats. It’s like the Roadrunner and the Coyote. Eventually you start feeling sorry for the poor b astard. I refuse to watch and feel sorry for the Democrats. I’ll start paying more attention once the Democrats pick who’ll lose to Our President this November.

I’ll just keep registering new Republicans here in Louisville to keep Mitch McConnell in DC and Trump in the White House. God Bless America!
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 06:04 PM by CardinalJim.)
02-11-2020 06:03 PM
Advertisement

Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
(02-11-2020 05:18 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  

SOTU was down cause most normal people are simply worn. the. F%$&. out of ALLLLL of it.
It's only weirdo's like us that hang around places like this talking and taking schit back and forth that follow all this on a daily basis.

Hell, it's more than a few times a week that I yearn to go back to the days of being at a kids Bball game or practice on a Tuesday evening, or doing drills on the football field 5 days a week til 8 o'clock August through November.

Just remind myself how fortunate and serendipitous it was that the bulk of that time was spent somewhat tuned out while zerO did his damnedest to ruin this great Country.

Now? Folks be getting just tuckered by all the winning, needed a little down time to go to the Baskin Robbins or Chuck E Cheese.

I agree with you on being worn out from politics (and weirdos being here on this site), but that was one of the reasons I actually watched all of the SOTU this year. The weirdo in me was hoping it would be a train wreck (although I didn't want Nancy Pelosi to be the conductor).

I'd also say that being worn out also applies to the Hollywood film season. There are so many more awards shows now than there were when I was growing up (and we used to watch the Oscars every year without fail). While the TV ratings have been dismal, Hollywood in general still does great box office. Sure, most of the biggest box office hits are movies that don't win that many awards, but a few of the movies honored Sunday (Joker, Toy Story 4, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Ford vs Ferrari, etc.) were massive world wide hits. So if people are hating Hollywood stars for whatever reason, it's sure not showing up in the financials bottom line for the studios.
02-11-2020 06:05 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

(02-11-2020 06:05 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I agree with you on being worn out from politics (and weirdos being here on this site), but that was one of the reasons I actually watched all of the SOTU this year. The weirdo in me was hoping it would be a train wreck (although I didn't want Nancy Pelosi to be the conductor).

I'd also say that being worn out also applies to the Hollywood film season. There are so many more awards shows now than there were when I was growing up (and we used to watch the Oscars every year without fail). While the TV ratings have been dismal, Hollywood in general still does great box office. Sure, most of the biggest box office hits are movies that don't win that many awards, but a few of the movies honored Sunday (Joker, Toy Story 4, Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, Ford vs Ferrari, etc.) were massive world wide hits. So if people are hating Hollywood stars for whatever reason, it's sure not showing up in the financials bottom line for the studios.

Box office receipts were actually down almost 5% last year from 2018. Maybe Americans are starting to get tired of being lectured by a bunch of pompous nimrods.
02-11-2020 06:56 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

I get annoyed that I go to the news and its nothing but Trump, Trump, Trump, Impeach Trump, Orange man bad, we hate Trump. There's a lot going on that doesn't get covered.
02-11-2020 07:43 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-11-2020 06:56 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 06:05 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  I agree with you on being worn out from politics (and weirdos being here on this site), but that was one of the reasons I actually watched all of the SOTU this year. The weirdo in me was hoping it would be a train wreck (although I didn't want Nancy Pelosi to be the conductor).

Box office receipts were actually down almost 5% last year from 2018. Maybe Americans are starting to get tired of being lectured by a bunch of pompous nimrods.

Well when it happens in the movies themselves, it turns people off.
02-11-2020 07:44 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-11-2020 07:44 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-11-2020 06:56 PM)CardinalJim Wrote:  

Well when it happens in the movies themselves, it turns people off.

James Taylor and Jackson Browne have a show coming up here. I'm a huge fan of both, especially JB. I've been able to separate the art from the artists so that I can still enjoy both of these wonderful musicians but I won't be attending the concert because they will both inevitably use their celebrity as a platform from which they can spew their loony ideologies and I'll be damned if I'll pay 200 bucks to sit there and be preached to about politics in between music I can enjoy free on the radio or the internet.

It remains a mystery to me why these uber rich people hate the same capitalist system that made them rich to begin with.
02-11-2020 08:03 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(02-11-2020 06:05 PM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  

I agree with you on being worn out from politics (and weirdos being here on this site), but that was one of the reasons I actually watched all of the SOTU this year. The weirdo in me was hoping it would be a train wreck (although I didn't want Nancy Pelosi to be the conductor).

If there is a movie I want to see---Im going to see it. I can separate a performance I enjoy from a political view. Where my attitudes make a bigger difference is in my TV watching habits. I generally wont watch shows that are too preachy and anti-conservative. They better be really good if they going to tweak my beliefs the whole time and expect me to watch anyway. A couple shows have actually been good enough to get away with it. Most aren't. I give em a shot---and then I never watch them again. Im there to be entertained----Im not going to watch a show that offers little other than irritation...there are too many other things to do with my time, including watch other stuff. The Oscars lost me several years ago and I doubt I'll be coming back. If I care about a specific award---I'll find out who won on twitter or read about it the next day. Its just not that big a deal to me.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 08:21 PM by Attackcoog.)
02-11-2020 08:13 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I use my Firestick and watch them from home. Watched 1917 this morning. I watched Ford and Ferrari and Once upon a time in Hollywood a month ago.

If I remember correctly the last first run movie I went to a theater to watch was Hillary’s America back in 2016.
02-11-2020 08:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.