Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marion Gone
Bookmark and Share
Tribal Online

I Root For: William & Mary
Marion Gone
Sources: Hawaii is expected to hire William & Mary OC Brennan Marion to coach WRs, people with knowledge of the situation tell me and @NicoleAuerbach. Marion worked under Todd Graham at Arizona State in 2015.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
02-11-2020 01:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Marion Gone
(02-11-2020 01:03 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Sources: Hawaii is expected to hire William & Mary OC Brennan Marion to coach WRs, people with knowledge of the situation tell me and @NicoleAuerbach. Marion worked under Todd Graham at Arizona State in 2015.

Sheesh. We knew he was ambitious and anxious to get back to the west coast, but OC to WR coach at a mid tier university? Hopefully this doesn't trigger a wave of transfers.
02-11-2020 03:54 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

Marion Gone
I think I'm ok with this. Just hope we hang on to most of our recruits.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
02-11-2020 06:36 AM
Tribal Online

Marion Gone
Our 2020 recruits have already signed. They'd have to sit a year if they don't stick with us.

Barthel and Carter are responsible for bringing in most of our new players, anyway.

02-11-2020 06:42 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

If true it doesn't sound on the surface like a terrific move. You can get lost at Hawaii and coaching the ends sounds like s major down step.

But perhaps he likes the idyllic weather!
02-11-2020 06:49 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

He continues to be listed, as of five minutes ago, on the Tribe Coaches Page on our internet pages.

Let's see if he continues on there tonight.
02-11-2020 06:59 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Marion Gone
Marion has a playing and coaching history with Hawaii coach Graham from Tulsa and AZ State. So, there is that. I think he is envisioning this as his more direct path to FBS OC and eventual HC gig.

I will miss the offensive innovation, but it has felt for some time that he had one foot out of Williamsburg. Promotion of his "brand" seemed top priority over actually promoting his employer. I thank him for his time, wish him well, but agree that we should be able to find a solid replacement.
02-11-2020 07:07 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-11-2020 06:42 AM)Tribal Wrote:  Our 2020 recruits have already signed. They'd have to sit a year if they don't stick with us.

Barthel and Carter are responsible for bringing in most of our new players, anyway.

I was thinking more along the lines of our 2019 class that Marion had a big part in.

It didn't escape my notice that Marion wasn't overly involved in the 2020 signings or that all of these CA visits and offers coincidentally fell around CA family visits. I'm thankful for what he has done for the alma mater, but save for job title, he had moved on long ago.
02-11-2020 07:17 AM
Tribe3455 Offline
Special Teams

Meh. That’s how I feel. The passing game was limited not just because we had a freshman qb but nothing but flats and flys on the play sheet. The running game was definitely better but Sammis has as much to do with that as anyone. He’s the one who put together the schemes to mesh with the odd sets. Johns will be great as a qb coach. Whomever comes in as the OC will have a really good set of assistants behind him and lots of speedy weapons. Barthel I will miss because he showed respect for where he was and how he left. Good luck but good riddance to Marion.
02-11-2020 07:44 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
London Jr. would be a solid promotion option, but I’m not sure they’d go that route.

Congrats to Marion, it was only a matter of time.
02-11-2020 07:51 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2020 07:07 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Marion has a playing and coaching history with Hawaii coach Graham from Tulsa and AZ State. So, there is that. I think he is envisioning this as his more direct path to FBS OC and eventual HC gig.

Also worth noting that the Rainbow Warriors' new OC and Marion overlapped in Tulsa.

02-11-2020 08:18 AM
Advertisement

tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

If this report is true and I have no reason to doubt that it is, two top candidates for OC, one in house, one outside (sort of).

Gordon Sammis
Winston October
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 08:56 AM by tribefbfan.)
02-11-2020 08:55 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Marion Gone
Though we've been there done that, do we we think Tribe alum, former OC, and Brady understudy DJ Mangus gets another look?
02-11-2020 09:03 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(02-11-2020 09:03 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Though we've been there done that, do we we think Tribe alum, former OC, and Brady understudy DJ Mangus gets another look?
I sincerely hope not

02-11-2020 09:13 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Promote from within. Marion is leaving the play book behind so I suppose we could still run the GoGo, but maybe it's time for a new OC and his style to take over. What we've done in terms of speed and athleticism will translate into most schemes.
02-11-2020 09:22 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(02-11-2020 09:03 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Though we've been there done that, do we we think Tribe alum, former OC, and Brady understudy DJ Mangus gets another look?

Mangas is a quality guy and has a great mind for the game. I am sure that his year at LSU expanded his knowledge of the game too. If I were him I’d continue the path that he’s on. Continue to learn inside a big time program and grow his network.

WM is a great place to Coach, but doesn’t compare to the experience he’s getting at LSU, assuming of course that he’s staying there.

Good suggestion, just not sure it’s the right time, right place.
02-11-2020 09:24 AM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(02-11-2020 07:07 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I will miss the offensive innovation

Didn't see a ton of that...unless you count Mathis running at every opportunity as offensive innovation. I still remember the game where Marion ran the same play five straight times at the goal line (direct snap to Yoder). It finally worked on the fifth try. (That may not be exactly right but that is how I remember it, anyway. The point is made, regardless). The go-go is go-gone.

(02-11-2020 07:51 AM)TribePride52 Wrote:  Congrats to Marion, it was only a matter of time.

This, too. He made it clear that he was looking from day one, so no surprise. Wish him well, and next man (coach) up.

(02-11-2020 09:22 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  What we've done in terms of speed and athleticism will translate into most schemes.

Definitely.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 10:12 AM by Zorch.)
02-11-2020 10:10 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
Nobody else has reported it as of now, which is kind of weird, but i still think this is going to happen.

Edit: Football Scoop said this was true as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 10:27 AM by TribePride52.)
02-11-2020 10:15 AM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
Not having an OC for spring ball is a setback.
02-11-2020 10:59 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

Marion Gone
I'd imagine that whoever runs the offense would want to devise a scheme around the roster strengths. I think utilizing a spread type attack that opens running lanes and gets our speedy play makers in space is key. Plenty of pistol to utilize Mathis feet and arm.

I tend to think, as others have said, that we promote from within. Perhaps London Jr or Johns. That said, There should be no shortage of solid spread coordinators out there with recruiting chops. Just looking at some of the promising young coaches out there from last year's 30 under 30:
Jeffrey Faris - Duke - TE coach /recruiting coordinator
Collin Klein - Kansas St - QB Coach
Mike Miller - Maryland - TE coach
Kirby Moore - Fresno St - WR coach
Jake Waters - UTEP - WR coach
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 11:40 AM by mrjoolius.)
02-11-2020 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.