Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
George Eberle Arrested
Bookmark and Share
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
George Eberle Arrested
William & Mary kicker George Eberle charged with felony breaking & entering and misdemeanor sexual battery for allegedly breaking into a woman’s home and groping her.

https://t.co/YDxznu7vr4?amp=1

If this is true. he should be gone. no damn debate. absolutely disgusting.
02-10-2020 04:47 PM
Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
RE: George Eberle Arrested
WAVY-10 just broadcast the same, although they didn’t have any info about the crime, just that Eberle, “a William and Mary football player,” had been arrested.
02-10-2020 05:10 PM
Tribal Offline

I Root For: William & Mary
George Eberle Arrested
I hope the alleged victim stays strong. Terrible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
02-10-2020 05:28 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
(02-10-2020 05:28 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I hope the alleged victim stays strong. Terrible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

+ a million.
02-10-2020 05:35 PM
ColonelEbirt Offline
Special Teams

George Eberle Arrested
Horrific. My thoughts and prayers are with her. I believe sexual assault survivors. I hope the team and our great W&M community rally behind her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
02-10-2020 05:36 PM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
All right. I will be the contrarian.

Duke lacrosse team.

Innocent until proven guilty.

The charge is either accurate, false, or somewhere in between.

Let it play out.
02-10-2020 05:53 PM
Advertisement

HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(02-10-2020 05:53 PM)nj alum Wrote:  All right. I will be the contrarian.

Duke lacrosse team.

Innocent until proven guilty.

The charge is either accurate, false, or somewhere in between.

Let it play out.

This is a good position to take, so long as it doesn't turn into attacks on the alleged victim for now. (For the record, I'm agreeing with your POV)
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2020 05:52 PM by HyperDuke.)
02-11-2020 05:52 PM
ScottyB757 Offline
Special Teams

02-18-2020 05:03 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
I think that we will find out that there is more to the story.
02-18-2020 07:15 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

George Eberle Arrested
I hope so. If he did as described by the Flat Hat, he sounds out of an episode of Criminal Minds. Breaking and entering and sexually assaulting a woman that he didn't know. If this is true, he belongs in jail.

I certainly don't excuse any unwanted sexual contact. However, my question is if they didn't know each other, how did the police know to go directly out and locate Eberle the next morning? Did she recognize him, but not know him?

The charges are weird too. Felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor sexual battery. Breaking and entering is generally a misdemeanor unless combined with a felony (like burglary). Defined as "an unlawful entry, by force, into a residence, building or other enclosed property." According to the article, there was no damage or injury. Strange that the result of the B&E is a misdemeanor charge and they went with the felony B&E charge. Sexual battery is defined as "touching and not sexual intercourse or penetration, it can be a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the circumstances. The crime can be a felony if it involves: skin to skin contact (without clothing)." Eberle was charged with the misdemeanor.

So, by the elements of the charges, Eberle forced his way in to the complainant's apartment and touched her with her clothes on.

IMO, It is a strange choice of charges to run with. I think charging a misdemeanor sexual battery kind of blows the felony B&E charge. Unless a lot more comes out in court not in the charging documents, It really won't surprise me to see the case thrown out or Eberle just given probation.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2020 08:46 PM by mrjoolius.)
02-18-2020 08:39 PM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(02-18-2020 08:39 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  The charges are weird too. Felony breaking and entering and misdemeanor sexual battery. Breaking and entering is generally a misdemeanor unless combined with a felony (like burglary). Defined as "an unlawful entry, by force, into a residence, building or other enclosed property." According to the article, there was no damage or injury. Strange that the result of the B&E is a misdemeanor charge and they went with the felony B&E charge. Sexual battery is defined as "touching and not sexual intercourse or penetration, it can be a felony or misdemeanor, depending on the circumstances. The crime can be a felony if it involves: skin to skin contact (without clothing)." Eberle was charged with the misdemeanor.

So, by the elements of the charges, Eberle forced his way in to the complainant's apartment and touched her with her clothes on.

IMO, It is a strange choice of charges to run with. I think charging a misdemeanor sexual battery kind of blows the felony B&E charge. Unless a lot more comes out in court not in the charging documents, It really won't surprise me to see the case thrown out or Eberle just given probation.

There's no such thing as misdemeanor breaking and entering. It's always a felony. There's trespassing which is a misdemeanor but that's a different charge with different elements. There's different types of B&E depending on whether there's intent to commit a violent felony, larceny/non-violent felonies or a misdemeanor. They carry different potential penalties.

Sexual battery is pretty broad. Technically if you wanted you could charge rape as sexual battery, though that isn't likely. Felony aggravated sexual battery has some pretty specific requirements involving the victim being underage, mentally incapacitated, serious injury or use of a weapon. The fact that it's sexual battery and not one of the various specific felony charges is probably a good thing for George.
02-19-2020 02:52 AM
Advertisement

mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

George Eberle Arrested
Thanks for the legal clarification Rocco. I don't know all the ins and outs of VA law, but I find it interesting.

I'm curious when the details come out- what force was used to trigger the B&E charge? Did he force open a door or window? The Flat Hat said there was no damage, though I know damage isn't required for the charge. If it turns out he entered through an unlocked door/window, why was the charge not misdemeanor illegal trespass? To prove felony B&E, wouldn't you need to prove that the intent of his unauthorized entry was to commit a crime? If a link can be made between Eberle and the complainant - ie. They did know each other or they were hanging out together that evening at a party, it hurts the case. If the door was not forced & it is proved they knew each other, it doesn't seem a heavy lift to claim that he was invited over. That doesn't mean Eberle acted appropriately, but being familiar does change how the case is framed. There is a lot of vagueness in the initial reports that need to be fleshed out to get the big picture.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2020 06:10 AM by mrjoolius.)
02-19-2020 06:02 AM
Tribal Offline

George Eberle Arrested
It's probably best to wait on legal proceedings. At the end of the day, a very young man and young woman have had their worlds turned upside down. It's tragic no matter how we look at it. All we know is George was arrested based on the alleged victim's complaint. Expert investigators, lawyers, and the justice system are on the case.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
02-19-2020 06:33 AM
Rocco Offline
All American

I Root For: William and Mar
(02-19-2020 06:02 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Thanks for the legal clarification Rocco. I don't know all the ins and outs of VA law, but I find it interesting.

I'm curious when the details come out- what force was used to trigger the B&E charge? Did he force open a door or window? The Flat Hat said there was no damage, though I know damage isn't required for the charge. If it turns out he entered through an unlocked door/window, why was the charge not misdemeanor illegal trespass? To prove felony B&E, wouldn't you need to prove that the intent of his unauthorized entry was to commit a crime? If a link can be made between Eberle and the complainant - ie. They did know each other or they were hanging out together that evening at a party, it hurts the case. If the door was not forced & it is proved they knew each other, it doesn't seem a heavy lift to claim that he was invited over. That doesn't mean Eberle acted appropriately, but being familiar does change how the case is framed. There is a lot of vagueness in the initial reports that need to be fleshed out to get the big picture.

A) The mere act of pushing an unlocked door open can constitute a breaking. Whether it ends up as a conviction for B&E if the force used for entry is another story.

B) Prosecutors/police generally charge the most serious thing they can and work from there. It's easier to amend charges down than amend them upwards.

C) If he committed a crime after committing B&E, the intent part is satisfied.
02-19-2020 07:03 AM
Herm61 Offline
Bench Warmer

There are two sides to every story
02-19-2020 10:02 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

This whole situation seems unclear on the facts and the College response reinforces the opinion.
02-21-2020 08:54 AM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

George Eberle Arrested
Off the roster.

Seems all involved would've waited for the legal process to work through the issue.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
03-10-2020 11:15 PM
Tribal Offline

Seems George is ready to move on. He entered the transfer portal and posted a video of him kicking. 5 months after his arrest...I guess the criminal proceedings worked out in his favor.

"Back on my grind after entering the transfer portal. Had a great time at W&M and appreciative for my coaches. It was an honor to play there along with earning freshman all American honors. Here’s a few hits from training this past weekend (45 4.8, 47 5.2, 50 4.6)"
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2020 11:17 AM by Tribal.)
07-30-2020 11:07 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

A great loss of talent to our program
07-31-2020 07:10 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

George Eberle Arrested
So, were the charges dropped? Why would any school bring on a transfer with pending felony charges?
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2020 07:26 AM by mrjoolius.)
07-31-2020 07:26 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.