Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Vet School
Bookmark and Share
PrideoftheStAte Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arkansas State
Vet School
Arkansas State is in the progress of doing a feasibility study to add a Veterinarian school on campus. We already have a Med school on campus so this would be really cool to add as well.

Are there any schools in the conference that have a Vet school? If so, do you feel it raised the level of academics at your University?
01-31-2020 06:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Vet School
I think that’s a great add. I’m surprised more schools haven’t looked at adding a vet school. The existing vet schools are so competitive to get into.
01-31-2020 08:36 PM
trueblue21 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS and TAMU
(01-31-2020 08:36 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I think that’s a great add. I’m surprised more schools haven’t looked at adding a vet school. The existing vet schools are so competitive to get into.

I might be repeating hearsay but from what I understand the "small animal" vet sector is saturated. It's not as lucrative for universities to start them up as say medical or engineering. Lots of "if factors".

With that said from what I can tell Texas St, Ark St, and ULM are the only schools that even have any kind of agricultural programs.

I know that Southern and GSU are likely to never have a vet school. Hell, I am just hoping Southern takes advantage of moving into Savannah by starting a law school.
01-31-2020 09:01 PM
chrisattsu Offline
Mom's Favorite

I Root For: Tarleton / TXST
(01-31-2020 08:36 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I think that’s a great add. I’m surprised more schools haven’t looked at adding a vet school. The existing vet schools are so competitive to get into.
Not going happen for us.
A&M owned the Vet school monopoly for years in the state.

Recently the state approved a new vet school for the West Texas region at Texas Tech.
02-01-2020 12:25 AM
eaglewraith Offline
Heisman

I Root For: GA Southern
(01-31-2020 09:01 PM)trueblue21 Wrote:  

I might be repeating hearsay but from what I understand the "small animal" vet sector is saturated. It's not as lucrative for universities to start them up as say medical or engineering. Lots of "if factors".

With that said from what I can tell Texas St, Ark St, and ULM are the only schools that even have any kind of agricultural programs.

I know that Southern and GSU are likely to never have a vet school. Hell, I am just hoping Southern takes advantage of moving into Savannah by starting a law school.

With UGA having a vet program? Yea no it's not happening.
02-01-2020 01:39 AM
Bobcat2013 Online
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(02-01-2020 12:25 AM)chrisattsu Wrote:  
Not going happen for us.
A&M owned the Vet school monopoly for years in the state.

Recently the state approved a new vet school for the West Texas region at Texas Tech.

Tech getting a vet school is huge for the state. A&M basically only lets A&M students into their program. I know too many who have had to go to OSU.
02-01-2020 10:52 AM
Advertisement

debragga Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM

ULM doesn’t have much, either. The only ag program I could find was an Agribusiness major.
02-01-2020 11:51 AM
Hail The Blue Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern

The "Savannah Law School" is closing down next year. It was a for-profit school and I've heard a bunch of interesting stuff regarding its foundation, and closing.

Wouldn't be a bad time to start a program to fill that void (if the demand is truly there).
02-01-2020 12:07 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
With Auburn having a vet school, I do not see it happening at South.
02-01-2020 12:55 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
I’ve thought for a while now we should start a vet school. With no vet schools in the state, no vet schools nearby, being in a region dominated by agriculture, and having a good college of agriculture already, we are in a prime location to have a vet school. Unfortunately, this looks to be another private/public partnership like the med school on our campus (New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - Arkansas State). Yes that’s a mouthful. We are looking to partner with Adtalem Global Education, a Corp that already has a vet school, a couple med schools, and others. I wish we could do it on our own, but I’m sure we don’t have the funds to get it up and going, and the state isn’t going to give us the money either. I would guess that this partnership would be more intertwined, as the vet school would need to use more of our facilities (ASU Farm) and our livestock animals.
02-01-2020 06:24 PM
Crowley Cajun Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns

If that part is true, I haven't seen it. I see new clinics opening up frequently and clinics are looking for vets a lot in our area. Maybe its because a lot of the older vets are getting to that point of retirement. One of my daughters is a vet and LSU's vet school receives 800-900 applicants a year. But, LSU only takes 80-90 a year out of all of those applicants and only 66 from the state of Louisiana. The rest are taken from various areas and I want to say that Arkansas is one of the states that they take applicants from.
02-02-2020 07:37 AM
Advertisement

Gemofthehills Offline
All American

I Root For: JSU
(02-01-2020 12:55 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  With Auburn having a vet school, I do not see it happening at South.

Tuskegee has one too. Tuskegee is private but Alabama is one of the few states with two or more.
02-02-2020 08:55 AM
PrideoftheStAte Offline
2nd String

(02-01-2020 06:24 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  I’ve thought for a while now we should start a vet school. With no vet schools in the state, no vet schools nearby, being in a region dominated by agriculture, and having a good college of agriculture already, we are in a prime location to have a vet school. Unfortunately, this looks to be another private/public partnership like the med school on our campus (New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - Arkansas State). Yes that’s a mouthful. We are looking to partner with Adtalem Global Education, a Corp that already has a vet school, a couple med schools, and others. I wish we could do it on our own, but I’m sure we don’t have the funds to get it up and going, and the state isn’t going to give us the money either. I would guess that this partnership would be more intertwined, as the vet school would need to use more of our facilities (ASU Farm) and our livestock animals.

I talked directly with Kelly Damphousse and he said that the Vet school would be an Arkansas State University vet school. The buildings and diplomas would both say Arkansas State University. The partnership would be for helping us get everything set up and going.

In fact: "The proposed veterinary medicine program would enroll classes of approximately 120 students each year. Accreditation for any A-State College of Veterinary Medicine would be sought by the university, and graduates would have Arkansas State academic credentials. Adtalem, the parent company of AVMA-accredited Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, would provide expertise related to veterinary program management and accreditation, as well as capital and operating expense funding."
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020 11:14 AM by PrideoftheStAte.)
02-03-2020 11:07 AM
PrideoftheStAte Offline
2nd String

(02-02-2020 07:37 AM)Crowley Cajun Wrote:  

If that part is true, I haven't seen it. I see new clinics opening up frequently and clinics are looking for vets a lot in our area. Maybe its because a lot of the older vets are getting to that point of retirement. One of my daughters is a vet and LSU's vet school receives 800-900 applicants a year. But, LSU only takes 80-90 a year out of all of those applicants and only 66 from the state of Louisiana. The rest are taken from various areas and I want to say that Arkansas is one of the states that they take applicants from.

From the little research I have done on the topic, I agree completely with you. There are hundreds and hundreds of Vet school applicants that that cannot get into a Vet school because there aren't enough to handle the need. Small animal needs are drastically rising in most part due to the surge of pet dogs and cats. In our area there is a big lack of large animal vets(cows, horses, etc.) and people are having to pay big money to take their large animals long distances to get treated. There is certainly the need for this Vet school and I am excited about it. Our Medical school just graduated the first full class of doctors, so good things happening at AState!
02-03-2020 11:10 AM
ApexRedWolf Offline
2nd String

(02-01-2020 06:24 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  I’ve thought for a while now we should start a vet school. With no vet schools in the state, no vet schools nearby, being in a region dominated by agriculture, and having a good college of agriculture already, we are in a prime location to have a vet school. Unfortunately, this looks to be another private/public partnership like the med school on our campus (New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine - Arkansas State). Yes that’s a mouthful. We are looking to partner with Adtalem Global Education, a Corp that already has a vet school, a couple med schools, and others. I wish we could do it on our own, but I’m sure we don’t have the funds to get it up and going, and the state isn’t going to give us the money either. I would guess that this partnership would be more intertwined, as the vet school would need to use more of our facilities (ASU Farm) and our livestock animals.

Another and maybe larger impact would be mammalian-human health research. Having vet's on faculty (and on-site) would increase the ability to expand this sector and hopefully obtain more NIH funding...where the big $$$$ is. I wonder how many vets GSU employs for their animal research facilities?
02-03-2020 12:41 PM
GoBigRed26 Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte
(02-03-2020 11:07 AM)PrideoftheStAte Wrote:  

I talked directly with Kelly Damphousse and he said that the Vet school would be an Arkansas State University vet school. The buildings and diplomas would both say Arkansas State University. The partnership would be for helping us get everything set up and going.

In fact: "The proposed veterinary medicine program would enroll classes of approximately 120 students each year. Accreditation for any A-State College of Veterinary Medicine would be sought by the university, and graduates would have Arkansas State academic credentials. Adtalem, the parent company of AVMA-accredited Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine, would provide expertise related to veterinary program management and accreditation, as well as capital and operating expense funding."

Glad to hear that. Hopefully this feasibility is just a formality, because it seems to me that its a no brainer, and is definitely in need.
02-03-2020 01:08 PM
Advertisement

CajunAmos Offline
All American

I Root For: Cajuns
(02-03-2020 12:41 PM)ApexRedWolf Wrote:  

Another and maybe larger impact would be mammalian-human health research. Having vet's on faculty (and on-site) would increase the ability to expand this sector and hopefully obtain more NIH funding...where the big $$$$ is. I wonder how many vets GSU employs for their animal research facilities?

Really tough to do this nowadays.
02-03-2020 02:17 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
Where I grew up is mostly cattle farms and in a three county area there is ONE vet who will work large animals and he is 70+ years old.

Now will AState's potential grads take on the large animal work given that you can't turn the volume of dog and cat business? Who knows but there is certainly a need.
02-04-2020 05:32 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

(02-02-2020 07:37 AM)Crowley Cajun Wrote:  

Arkansas pays the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition for up to 12 new students per year at LSU. If LSU doesn't take 12 Arkansans (usually doesn't take 12) then the balance goes for Arkansas kids admitted to Tuskegee for vet school.
02-04-2020 05:34 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

Speaking of saturation

The legal market is most definitely not absorbing all the new law grads. Only person I've known of to enter law school the past few years who I felt was clearly making a good choice was a guy who got laid off and got a NICE severance. He's an engineer with nearly two decades of experience and thought he'd go to law school. Lot of hard to fill niche positions out there for lawyers who understand engineering and engineers with a law degree.
02-04-2020 05:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.