Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kaplan Parking Chaos - Trash, Delays, Container Boxes
Bookmark and Share
Marshall Wythe Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: William & Mary
Kaplan Parking Chaos - Trash, Delays, Container Boxes
In the Kaplan Arena thread, I saw comments about the parking experience around Kaplan with the suggestion for a specific thread to that effect. As you can see, I thought it was a great idea.

First off, I have always been surprised by how difficult it can be to leave Kaplan even with relatively small crowds. Now, maybe nothing can be done about that. But, if the powers that be have looked into the issue and determined that the current situation is the best we can do - fine. But let us know that. Or, better yet, admit that it hasn't been seriously studied for sometime and they're going to work with the local authorities to see what, if anything, can be done.

But seriously, though, it is time to move the trash!!!

I remember seeing those boxes there when I was in law school beginning in 1997. At the time, I thought - eh - it must be a temporary thing.

Man, was I ever wrong.

Now, on the list of pressing concerns for the College, I get that this one can't be at the top. But on the list of relatively easy things to do to make it look like you care about W&M basketball and the fans' and students' experience, it has to be near the top.

W&M has too much acreage not to have another spot for that ugly, demoralizing crap that says "eh, we don't have enough fans to care and don't care enough to try to get more fans."

Move the trash now.
01-30-2020 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Kaplan Parking Chaos - Trash, Delays, Container Boxes
It's an embarrassment. It's not just containers, but also heavy equipment, college vehicles, etc. People wedge themselves in next to the containers and park people in. A nice compromise would be a shuttle from somewhere on campus where there is adequate parking (over near Muscarelle?). If we're going to get more fans, this will ultimately become a big problem.
01-30-2020 02:48 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(01-30-2020 02:02 PM)Marshall Wythe Wrote:  In the Kaplan Arena thread, I saw comments about the parking experience around Kaplan with the suggestion for a specific thread to that effect. As you can see, I thought it was a great idea.

First off, I have always been surprised by how difficult it can be to leave Kaplan even with relatively small crowds. Now, maybe nothing can be done about that. But, if the powers that be have looked into the issue and determined that the current situation is the best we can do - fine. But let us know that. Or, better yet, admit that it hasn't been seriously studied for sometime and they're going to work with the local authorities to see what, if anything, can be done.

But seriously, though, it is time to move the trash!!!

I remember seeing those boxes there when I was in law school beginning in 1997. At the time, I thought - eh - it must be a temporary thing.

Man, was I ever wrong.

Now, on the list of pressing concerns for the College, I get that this one can't be at the top. But on the list of relatively easy things to do to make it look like you care about W&M basketball and the fans' and students' experience, it has to be near the top.

W&M has too much acreage not to have another spot for that ugly, demoralizing crap that says "eh, we don't have enough fans to care and don't care enough to try to get more fans."

Move the trash now.

Amen!
01-30-2020 02:56 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Dillard is abandoned. Move it to behind the buildings in their old lot. Better yet, what the hell is it? Haul it to the dump! Maybe its the worst hidden time-capsule ever?
01-30-2020 03:13 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
No!!!!!!

That’s parking for the baseball games.

Just dump it in the middle of the Sunken Garden. That will get someone’s attention real fast.
01-30-2020 04:22 PM
Tribe1693 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
If someone from this message board is attending the special announcement prior to Saturday's game - and especially if the announcement is about a reno to Kaplan - then that would be an opportunity to ask about this in a public forum.

On second thought - maybe that it is being cleaned up, is the special announcement!!!! (tic)
01-30-2020 04:34 PM
WM Beancounter Offline
Special Teams

Parking was a nightmare last night, as usual, and the Hall wasn't even close to half full. I cannot imagine where people would park if we averaged 6k or more per game. A few weeks ago, I parked on the grass along the side of the Hall lot, and was rewarded with a ticket. F'ing nuts. I suppose we're all supposed to park in CW and walk a mile?
01-31-2020 09:04 AM
Advertisement

wmmii Offline
1st String

Use parking garage next to old Adair Gym then short walk up hill past DuPont Hall and cafeteria .
01-31-2020 09:17 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
This has been a constant frustration of mine, especially in the last few years.

I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. As a result, I'm still grandfathered in with the Yates parking pass. However, now with 2 small kids our group (my family and my in-laws) take separate cars. So, we end up fending for parking. Also with kids I'm often getting there fairly close to tip-off.

The parking is a complete and total nightmare and embarrassment. The problem is, as others have said, it's not like we don't have spaces. We have them. They're taken up with shipping containers, construction equipment, etc. I know plenty of locals that have gone to games and not gotten there until after the 2nd media timeout because of the parking.

There's just absolutely zero excuse for it and it will limit our ability to charge large crowds until it exists. The Adair garage, I'd argue, is not that short of a walk - especially for those with kids or those with elderly in their group. Sure, it works - but we shouldn't NEED it.
01-31-2020 09:31 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
(01-31-2020 09:31 AM)wml33t Wrote:  This has been a constant frustration of mine, especially in the last few years.

I've been a season ticket holder for over 10 years. As a result, I'm still grandfathered in with the Yates parking pass. However, now with 2 small kids our group (my family and my in-laws) take separate cars. So, we end up fending for parking. Also with kids I'm often getting there fairly close to tip-off.

The parking is a complete and total nightmare and embarrassment. The problem is, as others have said, it's not like we don't have spaces. We have them. They're taken up with shipping containers, construction equipment, etc. I know plenty of locals that have gone to games and not gotten there until after the 2nd media timeout because of the parking.

There's just absolutely zero excuse for it and it will limit our ability to charge large crowds until it exists. The Adair garage, I'd argue, is not that short of a walk - especially for those with kids or those with elderly in their group. Sure, it works - but we shouldn't NEED it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is some improvement to the traffic flow in the works. Montichello Ave between Richmond Rd and Ironbound Rd is in the process of being enlarged from a two lane road into a four lane Rd with turning lanes and a bike path. They have been talking about this for years but now, work has actually begun. So far the contractor has focused upon clearing the land/cutting down trees. And they have cleared about a 40' - 50' foot strip of land in College Woods that runs along Montichello. Depending upon what they do with the actual intersection of Compton St and Montichello Ave getting to and from the W&M Hall Parking lot should be greatly facilitated.
02-01-2020 12:13 PM
Advertisement

LeadBolt Offline
All American

(02-01-2020 12:13 PM)62Indian Wrote:  
(01-31-2020 09:31 AM)wml33t Wrote:  This has been a constant frustration of mine, especially in the last few years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is some improvement to the traffic flow in the works. Montichello Ave between Richmond Rd and Ironbound Rd is in the process of being enlarged from a two lane road into a four lane Rd with turning lanes and a bike path. They have been talking about this for years but now, work has actually begun. So far the contractor has focused upon clearing the land/cutting down trees. And they have cleared about a 40' - 50' foot strip of land in College Woods that runs along Montichello. Depending upon what they do with the actual intersection of Compton St and Montichello Ave getting to and from the W&M Hall Parking lot should be greatly facilitated.

Will there be a light or ("gasp") a traffic circle at the intersection of Compton to the "Hall"?
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020 02:05 PM by LeadBolt.)
02-01-2020 02:05 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

(02-01-2020 02:05 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  
(02-01-2020 12:13 PM)62Indian Wrote:  

Will there be a light or ("gasp") a traffic circle at the intersection of Compton to the "Hall"?

Would be great if the realigned Treyburn and Compton to be a straight line from campus to Dillard to make it more contiguous. Opening up a few more roads around that corner of campus that are dead-ends would also do wonders for traffic control. The nimbys would be out in force though.
02-01-2020 02:44 PM
A Quest Called Tribe Offline
2nd String

The mysterious formation of container boxes in the back of the Kaplan lot was my frequent late-night pit stop on the way back to my dorm from off-campus parties on Richmond Road. Not proud of that, but at least the space was put to use. There, maybe someone from campus safety will see that and realize we’re overdue for a change. ?

As students we always used to laugh at the zeal with which student cars were towed out of the Kaplan lot on Saturday football mornings. Yeah, you can rally a fleet of tow trucks to haul kids’ cars away who pay for tuition and parking passes, but god forbid you do anything about the acre of literal garbage piled in back.
02-01-2020 03:34 PM
Advertisement

nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Wait! I figured it out!

Its trailers full of confetti, balloons, banners and booze for when we knock the door down!

....Its been there since that Delaware charge in 2014...
02-01-2020 03:52 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Looks like they are trying.

Found this big link on the GAMEDAY homepage about Gold Rush

https://tribeathletics.com/documents/202...df?id=6142
02-15-2020 01:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.