Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Texas Independence and Other Incremental Movements
Bookmark and Share
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
Texas Independence and Other Incremental Movements
This thought occurred to me the other day so I figured I'd toss it out there.

What if Texas is carving a path to independence?

You've got Boise State suing the Mountain West and apparently looking to exit if it's feasible. Makes sense that if they're exploring options then they might just have a better one. Otherwise there's not much reason in exploring. The American is a possibility, but the money wouldn't be that much better and even then they can probably only join in football. The travel costs alone might cancel out most of the benefit.

What if there's some sort of backroom working that is leading them to the Big 12? Perhaps along with current independent BYU?

That potentiality was brought up to me the other day and it got me thinking.

What if Texas is interested in adding some schools to the Big 12 in order to hedge their bets? They could be interested in putting ESPN in an awkward position. For one, adding 2 schools to the Big 12 so close to the end of the GOR might make life more difficult for ESPN. It means they have more mouths to feed for a little bit, more pieces on the board as they try to work a solution for all the products, and it creates leverage for Texas for those reasons.

So why would Texas need leverage? Don't they already have a good bit and wouldn't ESPN be interested in giving them most anything they want? Maybe not.

Maybe Texas simply doesn't want to be in another conference full time. Membership in the ACC(full or partial) doesn't make sense. The PAC wouldn't be profitable. The Big Ten is too far and going to the SEC would be a blow to their pride as they want to view themselves as superior to A&M if for no other reason.

And maybe it's as simple as Texas still likes controlling the Big 12 and they don't want the conference to dissipate in any fashion. The question is why would that be a concern? At least enough of a concern that it would encourage a fairly uncharacteristic set of decisions?

The reality is that the Big 12 is going to change one way or the other. Either the league will be parsed out or severely weakened. The money difference is too great and there are a few attractive products that are likely to head elsewhere near the end of the GOR. Texas can't stop that without guaranteeing much larger payouts and that's not going to happen. They can't recruit other P5 products in the current environment and even if they could, it would take a lot of work to get up to the level of the SEC and Big Ten. That all limits the options Texas has available to them if their interest is to maintain some semblance of the status quo.

A move that puts Boise State and BYU in the Big 12 is interesting for several reasons. It gives Texas the ability to play hardball with ESPN and if everything doesn't work out precisely like UT wants then they still have 2 fairly solid options to replace departing members. BTW, that also means they have 2 fairly solid options that would owe their elevated status directly to Texas. And I think that's really where we're going...

Oklahoma and Kansas have suitors and more money available to them. They're as good as gone unless the networks make their payouts more in line with the SEC or Big Ten. Not going to happen though as the Big 12 simply isn't worth that kind of money. So would ESPN rather allow them to go to the Big Ten where they lose some content while also weakening the value of the Big 12 that they've invested in(likely for content purposes)? It's easier and more profitable to move them to the SEC where they would have full control.

Given that potentiality, Texas is on an island and will be forced into doing something they would prefer not to do. Well, that's not UT's style. They want to run the show, not be forced into a corner. So they could do something drastic. The safest and potentially most profitable thing for them to do is move to independence. Leave their basketball and Olympic sports in the Big 12 while maintaining the LHN and granting a new Tier 1 contract to ESPN. They could maintain maybe 4 football games with the Big 12, keep Oklahoma on their schedule, make more room for A&M, and also give themselves the space to travel to other locales more often. That and they don't have to give up all those games against in-state opponents.

So helping BYU and Boise State into the Big 12 helps fill a content gap should Oklahoma and Kansas leave. It helps stabilize a conference that Texas isn't ready to part with. It could look like this...

Boise State, BYU, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, and West Virginia

Texas as a partial along with the strategic additions keeps the Big 12 payouts at a reasonable amount albeit lower than their current contract. They could play a round robin with 8 league games and still play a CCG for a little extra cash. Reducing the number of conference games would also free up their members to schedule more big games in non-conference. That's a tactic that the SEC and ACC have taken full advantage of while other leagues have been slow to realize this.

The underrated feature here is that the Big 12 remains viable and that allows the political cover needed for Oklahoma and Kansas to leave. There's also no need for Texas to bring tag-alongs or concern themselves with picking over who gets relegated or not because their fellow instate schools are preserved. Nonetheless, they are preserved in a way that reduces their status when compared to UT themselves.

Oklahoma gets more money and doesn't have to play 2nd fiddle any longer. Texas A&M also makes plenty of money and doesn't have to worry about being slighted in conference matters as UT does not follow them. Conversely, Texas can still maintain an illusion of superiority in independence while also maximizing their media revenue through a top notch Tier 1 contract that ESPN will probably be happy to pony up for. If for no other reason, that approach would save ESPN money as they don't have to pay the rest of the Big 12 as much, but they still get viable content that can be marketed as a "power" league all the while getting access to basically every game Texas is involved in.

Likely as well, ESPN gets full control of the Big 12 at the end of the current contract. FOX has more or less already abandoned them. That not only replaces some of the games ESPN lost in recent years, but it allows a similar dynamic to what we're seeing between the SEC and ACC. More non-conference games can be scheduled against each other because there's a single master pulling the puppets' strings. That's yet more content for ESPN. I think you'd see Texas and Texas A&M come back, but you'd also see a lot of other games between the 3 leagues. That keeps the match-ups fresh and the schedules flexible.

The Sugar Bowl is still viable if Texas is allowed a tie-in and why wouldn't they? The SEC/Big 12 Challenge is still viable too.

No waves need be made. No hard decisions for anyone. No real sacrifices. Just a few inconvenient transitions into a more stable future where basically everyone is better off.

I've some theories on what would happen with the Big Ten and other leagues should this materialize, but I'll save that for another post.
01-30-2020 12:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OdinFrigg Offline
Gone Fishing

I Root For: Canine & Avian
RE: Texas Independence and Other Incremental Movements
(01-30-2020 12:03 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  This thought occurred to me the other day so I figured I'd toss it out there.

You've got Boise State suing the Mountain West and apparently looking to exit if it's feasible. Makes sense that if they're exploring options then they might just have a better one. Otherwise there's not much reason in exploring. The American is a possibility, but the money wouldn't be that much better and even then they can probably only join in football. The travel costs alone might cancel out most of the benefit.

What if there's some sort of backroom working that is leading them to the Big 12? Perhaps along with current independent BYU?

What if Texas is interested in adding some schools to the Big 12 in order to hedge their bets? They could be interested in putting ESPN in an awkward position. For one, adding 2 schools to the Big 12 so close to the end of the GOR might make life more difficult for ESPN. It means they have more mouths to feed for a little bit, more pieces on the board as they try to work a solution for all the products, and it creates leverage for Texas for those reasons.

So why would Texas need leverage? Don't they already have a good bit and wouldn't ESPN be interested in giving them most anything they want? Maybe not.

Maybe Texas simply doesn't want to be in another conference full time. Membership in the ACC(full or partial) doesn't make sense. The PAC wouldn't be profitable. The Big Ten is too far and going to the SEC would be a blow to their pride as they want to view themselves as superior to A&M if for no other reason.

And maybe it's as simple as Texas still likes controlling the Big 12 and they don't want the conference to dissipate in any fashion. The question is why would that be a concern? At least enough of a concern that it would encourage a fairly uncharacteristic set of decisions?

The reality is that the Big 12 is going to change one way or the other. Either the league will be parsed out or severely weakened. The money difference is too great and there are a few attractive products that are likely to head elsewhere near the end of the GOR. Texas can't stop that without guaranteeing much larger payouts and that's not going to happen. They can't recruit other P5 products in the current environment and even if they could, it would take a lot of work to get up to the level of the SEC and Big Ten. That all limits the options Texas has available to them if their interest is to maintain some semblance of the status quo.

A move that puts Boise State and BYU in the Big 12 is interesting for several reasons. It gives Texas the ability to play hardball with ESPN and if everything doesn't work out precisely like UT wants then they still have 2 fairly solid options to replace departing members. BTW, that also means they have 2 fairly solid options that would owe their elevated status directly to Texas. And I think that's really where we're going...

Oklahoma and Kansas have suitors and more money available to them. They're as good as gone unless the networks make their payouts more in line with the SEC or Big Ten. Not going to happen though as the Big 12 simply isn't worth that kind of money. So would ESPN rather allow them to go to the Big Ten where they lose some content while also weakening the value of the Big 12 that they've invested in(likely for content purposes)? It's easier and more profitable to move them to the SEC where they would have full control.

Given that potentiality, Texas is on an island and will be forced into doing something they would prefer not to do. Well, that's not UT's style. They want to run the show, not be forced into a corner. So they could do something drastic. The safest and potentially most profitable thing for them to do is move to independence. Leave their basketball and Olympic sports in the Big 12 while maintaining the LHN and granting a new Tier 1 contract to ESPN. They could maintain maybe 4 football games with the Big 12, keep Oklahoma on their schedule, make more room for A&M, and also give themselves the space to travel to other locales more often. That and they don't have to give up all those games against in-state opponents.

So helping BYU and Boise State into the Big 12 helps fill a content gap should Oklahoma and Kansas leave. It helps stabilize a conference that Texas isn't ready to part with. It could look like this...

Boise State, BYU, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, and West Virginia

Texas as a partial along with the strategic additions keeps the Big 12 payouts at a reasonable amount albeit lower than their current contract. They could play a round robin with 8 league games and still play a CCG for a little extra cash. Reducing the number of conference games would also free up their members to schedule more big games in non-conference. That's a tactic that the SEC and ACC have taken full advantage of while other leagues have been slow to realize this.

The underrated feature here is that the Big 12 remains viable and that allows the political cover needed for Oklahoma and Kansas to leave. There's also no need for Texas to bring tag-alongs or concern themselves with picking over who gets relegated or not because their fellow instate schools are preserved. Nonetheless, they are preserved in a way that reduces their status when compared to UT themselves.

Oklahoma gets more money and doesn't have to play 2nd fiddle any longer. Texas A&M also makes plenty of money and doesn't have to worry about being slighted in conference matters as UT does not follow them. Conversely, Texas can still maintain an illusion of superiority in independence while also maximizing their media revenue through a top notch Tier 1 contract that ESPN will probably be happy to pony up for. If for no other reason, that approach would save ESPN money as they don't have to pay the rest of the Big 12 as much, but they still get viable content that can be marketed as a "power" league all the while getting access to basically every game Texas is involved in.

Likely as well, ESPN gets full control of the Big 12 at the end of the current contract. FOX has more or less already abandoned them. That not only replaces some of the games ESPN lost in recent years, but it allows a similar dynamic to what we're seeing between the SEC and ACC. More non-conference games can be scheduled against each other because there's a single master pulling the puppets' strings. That's yet more content for ESPN. I think you'd see Texas and Texas A&M come back, but you'd also see a lot of other games between the 3 leagues. That keeps the match-ups fresh and the schedules flexible.

The Sugar Bowl is still viable if Texas is allowed a tie-in and why wouldn't they? The SEC/Big 12 Challenge is still viable too.

No waves need be made. No hard decisions for anyone. No real sacrifices. Just a few inconvenient transitions into a more stable future where basically everyone is better off.

I've some theories on what would happen with the Big Ten and other leagues should this materialize, but I'll save that for another post.

If Texas pressed hard for Big12 expansion, the conference would add members. The problem is that none of the G5 schools are particularly appealing. Boise State and BYU each have drawbacks, some that are similar, some different. Before, they rejected UCF and USF, schools in a lucrative market that have top fb attendance figures in the G5 with good sports facilities. Cincinnati, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and a few others, were also rejected a few years ago.

This has been mentioned during the last couple of years, even by a few PAC12 figures: Do some form of consolidation/assimilation with the PAC12, then divide into two co-op conferences or 2 to 3 largely autonomous divisions that could add a couple/few schools, such as Air Force and UNM, that are not currently in either the B12 or PAC12.

I am not necessarily advocating for the above, but it could place all current B12 and PAC12 members in a new design, with the exception of WVU that needs to go to the ACC.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2020 07:47 PM by OdinFrigg.)
01-30-2020 07:41 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(01-30-2020 07:41 PM)OdinFrigg Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 12:03 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  This thought occurred to me the other day so I figured I'd toss it out there.

If Texas pressed hard for Big12 expansion, the conference would add members. The problem is that none of the G5 schools are particularly appealing. Boise State and BYU each have drawbacks, some that are similar, some different. Before, they rejected UCF and USF, schools in a lucrative market that have top fb attendance figures in the G5 with good sports facilities. Cincinnati, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Memphis, and a few others, were also rejected a few years ago.

This has been mentioned during the last couple of years, even by a few PAC12 figures: Do some form of consolidation/assimilation with the PAC12, then divide into two co-op conferences or 2 to 3 largely autonomous divisions that could add a couple/few schools, such as Air Force and UNM, that are not currently in either the B12 or PAC12.

I am not necessarily advocating for the above, but it could place all current B12 and PAC12 members in a new design, with the exception of WVU that needs to go to the ACC.

ATU was more correct with the other thread. It's the ACC that keeps us from having at least 3 competitive conferences. It's much easier to build a strong conference around Texas and Oklahoma than it is to do it around UNC, Duke, and UVa.
01-30-2020 08:53 PM
Advertisement

murrdcu Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas

The mild rumors of the Big 12 plucking off a couple of PAC teams has been floated around before, but if the PAc were to get torn apart, the most profitable option would be a group joining the Big Ten. The great financial divide would be omnipresent. The remnants of the PAC could land in Big 12 or form a new conference out west. Texas and OU would have to re-evaluate their options.
01-30-2020 09:18 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2020 08:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

ATU was more correct with the other thread. It's the ACC that keeps us from having at least 3 competitive conferences. It's much easier to build a strong conference around Texas and Oklahoma than it is to do it around UNC, Duke, and UVa.

There are three significant issues with regard to building that type of conference around Texas and Oklahoma. It works on paper, but there are very good reasons it hasn't already happened.

1. The ACC power vortex or whatever we want to call it is still running through North Carolina(all 4 schools to varying degrees) and to a lesser extent, Virginia. They won't tolerate being in a league with both the bloc of Florida State and Clemson and simultaneously the bloc of Texas and Oklahoma. I know that was the point in moving the legacy schools out to the SEC and Big Ten, but the problem is they have to voluntarily abandon their power vortex for it all to work.

I don't see it. Those schools built the ACC from the ground up and they appear to enjoy running the show. Parse them out anywhere else and they immediately lose influence. Yes, they would make more money, but they would have made more money several years ago and they still wanted to maintain their core within the framework of the ACC.

I do agree with you that UNC and Duke would probably head to the SEC if push came to shove, but the ACC has to be disintegrating basically. The threat of that is what made them look elsewhere last time. If the ACC is viable then I don't think they even consider abandoning ship.

Texas clearly likes running the show as well, but they are so much more valuable than the other schools around them that it forces the economics to work differently. The other Big 12 schools, with the exception of Oklahoma, have no ability to anchor a profitable conference. Texas leaves their familiar bed and they lose influence too, but not as much. They'll bring so much value to any suitor that they immediately wield a decent amount of influence just by showing up.

More to the point, despite this reality, their options are limited because most of the valuable pieces left voluntarily for greener pastures. In other words, Texas can't ensure the viability of the Big 12 with their own efforts. It will crumble or weaken no matter what they do. If they leave then they don't have as much to lose. If they stay in some capacity then their status doesn't drastically change because the Big 12 pieces are mostly weaker in comparison to UT.

UNC and company on the other hand are not in the same stratosphere with Texas and Oklahoma. They leave their familiar bed and they get downgraded big time. They'll make more money, but they will trade a lot of comfort and influence in order to get it. The average threshold, if you will, within the ACC is at much more of an equilibrium. UNC and company are not even the most valuable pieces and they aren't that much more valuable than the average ACC school.

2. If Florida State and Clemson were made to change conferences then I can't see them not pushing for the SEC instead. Their rivals are there and other fairly familiar regional rivals are right down the road. They'd make a ton of money in the SEC and they'd be with more familiar schools as opposed to their current ACC brethren. This sort of sentiment probably applies to a handful of other ACC schools as well.

They almost got out in 2011, and I'm sure they would take more money, but being hitched to the power vortex of Texas and Oklahoma may be another matter. They'd take it if that was their only option, no doubt, but being in the equilibrium of the ACC has certain benefits. Those benefits would be disrupted if Texas and Oklahoma and a ton of other schools that owe their status to them are on the other side of the league.

It works financially compared to what Florida State and Clemson have now, but I can't think of a single reason they wouldn't prefer the SEC instead.

And that's the rub. If Florida State and Clemson along with a few other regional powers within the ACC are going to be nudged out then they have to have incentive to do so. ESPN isn't going to pay them more money to be in this amalgamated league as opposed to the SEC. ESPN can't simply tear up the GOR and declare it invalid either so worst case scenario is status quo. That's very rarely sufficient motivation to force anyone to do anything drastic.

3. I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma would rather the Big 12 survive, and adding several solid ACC schools would certainly do just that. The problem is you'd still have to alter the power balance to a significant degree.

In whatever new amalgamated Big 12 emerged, the bloc of Texas and Oklahoma would wield significant influence. If you added no more than 2-4 ACC schools then you haven't altered the balance too much. The problem is you'd have to add far more than 2-4 in order to adequately break up the ACC.

The only other option would be to set a few more schools apart for the SEC and Big Ten. That's problematic for everyone so it's not really an option.

Otherwise, you have a clear power divide within the Big 12 and I don't think Texas or Oklahoma even would be too interested in that. You'd have 6-8 schools on either side of the conference aligning in very different directions. At that point, the same dynamics that doomed the original incarnation of the Big 12 are likely to rear their ugly head again.

If nothing else, you might see some of these secondary schools within the current Big 12 meander over to the Eastern power bloc simply so they don't have to be beholden to Texas anymore. That really messes with the power dynamics.

I mean; Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas were apparently willing to abandon their power bloc in the past and make a crap ton of money in the ACC, but that was a different set of circumstances. In that scenario, Notre Dame was involved. The NC and VA schools were involved. The economic potential was much more significant and they likely would have been on equal footing with the SEC and Big Ten.

This new amalgamated Big 12 however? Their money would be better, but it won't be in the same ballpark really.

It's not that these schools would outright refuse to be in a conference with one another. It's that there are simpler and better options available to them.

And that's my overarching point. This maneuver would be incredibly complicated to pull off because of all the moving parts. There's no reason it shouldn't already have happened if it were viable.

It's simpler and more profitable for Oklahoma to go to the SEC. It's simpler for other schools to make different moves as well.
01-31-2020 12:49 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-31-2020 12:49 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 08:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

There are three significant issues with regard to building that type of conference around Texas and Oklahoma. It works on paper, but there are very good reasons it hasn't already happened.

1. The ACC power vortex or whatever we want to call it is still running through North Carolina(all 4 schools to varying degrees) and to a lesser extent, Virginia. They won't tolerate being in a league with both the bloc of Florida State and Clemson and simultaneously the bloc of Texas and Oklahoma. I know that was the point in moving the legacy schools out to the SEC and Big Ten, but the problem is they have to voluntarily abandon their power vortex for it all to work.

I don't see it. Those schools built the ACC from the ground up and they appear to enjoy running the show. Parse them out anywhere else and they immediately lose influence. Yes, they would make more money, but they would have made more money several years ago and they still wanted to maintain their core within the framework of the ACC.

I do agree with you that UNC and Duke would probably head to the SEC if push came to shove, but the ACC has to be disintegrating basically. The threat of that is what made them look elsewhere last time. If the ACC is viable then I don't think they even consider abandoning ship.

Texas clearly likes running the show as well, but they are so much more valuable than the other schools around them that it forces the economics to work differently. The other Big 12 schools, with the exception of Oklahoma, have no ability to anchor a profitable conference. Texas leaves their familiar bed and they lose influence too, but not as much. They'll bring so much value to any suitor that they immediately wield a decent amount of influence just by showing up.

More to the point, despite this reality, their options are limited because most of the valuable pieces left voluntarily for greener pastures. In other words, Texas can't ensure the viability of the Big 12 with their own efforts. It will crumble or weaken no matter what they do. If they leave then they don't have as much to lose. If they stay in some capacity then their status doesn't drastically change because the Big 12 pieces are mostly weaker in comparison to UT.

UNC and company on the other hand are not in the same stratosphere with Texas and Oklahoma. They leave their familiar bed and they get downgraded big time. They'll make more money, but they will trade a lot of comfort and influence in order to get it. The average threshold, if you will, within the ACC is at much more of an equilibrium. UNC and company are not even the most valuable pieces and they aren't that much more valuable than the average ACC school.

2. If Florida State and Clemson were made to change conferences then I can't see them not pushing for the SEC instead. Their rivals are there and other fairly familiar regional rivals are right down the road. They'd make a ton of money in the SEC and they'd be with more familiar schools as opposed to their current ACC brethren. This sort of sentiment probably applies to a handful of other ACC schools as well.

They almost got out in 2011, and I'm sure they would take more money, but being hitched to the power vortex of Texas and Oklahoma may be another matter. They'd take it if that was their only option, no doubt, but being in the equilibrium of the ACC has certain benefits. Those benefits would be disrupted if Texas and Oklahoma and a ton of other schools that owe their status to them are on the other side of the league.

It works financially compared to what Florida State and Clemson have now, but I can't think of a single reason they wouldn't prefer the SEC instead.

And that's the rub. If Florida State and Clemson along with a few other regional powers within the ACC are going to be nudged out then they have to have incentive to do so. ESPN isn't going to pay them more money to be in this amalgamated league as opposed to the SEC. ESPN can't simply tear up the GOR and declare it invalid either so worst case scenario is status quo. That's very rarely sufficient motivation to force anyone to do anything drastic.

3. I'm sure Texas and Oklahoma would rather the Big 12 survive, and adding several solid ACC schools would certainly do just that. The problem is you'd still have to alter the power balance to a significant degree.

In whatever new amalgamated Big 12 emerged, the bloc of Texas and Oklahoma would wield significant influence. If you added no more than 2-4 ACC schools then you haven't altered the balance too much. The problem is you'd have to add far more than 2-4 in order to adequately break up the ACC.

The only other option would be to set a few more schools apart for the SEC and Big Ten. That's problematic for everyone so it's not really an option.

Otherwise, you have a clear power divide within the Big 12 and I don't think Texas or Oklahoma even would be too interested in that. You'd have 6-8 schools on either side of the conference aligning in very different directions. At that point, the same dynamics that doomed the original incarnation of the Big 12 are likely to rear their ugly head again.

If nothing else, you might see some of these secondary schools within the current Big 12 meander over to the Eastern power bloc simply so they don't have to be beholden to Texas anymore. That really messes with the power dynamics.

I mean; Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas were apparently willing to abandon their power bloc in the past and make a crap ton of money in the ACC, but that was a different set of circumstances. In that scenario, Notre Dame was involved. The NC and VA schools were involved. The economic potential was much more significant and they likely would have been on equal footing with the SEC and Big Ten.

This new amalgamated Big 12 however? Their money would be better, but it won't be in the same ballpark really.

It's not that these schools would outright refuse to be in a conference with one another. It's that there are simpler and better options available to them.

And that's my overarching point. This maneuver would be incredibly complicated to pull off because of all the moving parts. There's no reason it shouldn't already have happened if it were viable.

It's simpler and more profitable for Oklahoma to go to the SEC. It's simpler for other schools to make different moves as well.

And this proves what? That the 3 x 20 model that has 8 of the Big 12 schools merging with the PAC, and 6 each of the ACC schools merging with the Big 10 and SEC is still the simplest solution to balance and the most natural way to accomplish it.

Iowa Sate, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech and T.C.U. join with the PAC to create a 20 member conference with 4 divisions of 5.

The SEC and Big 10 have to figure out how best to carve up the ACC.

Notre Dame, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, North Carolina and Duke to the Big 10.

Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami or Louisville to the SEC.

Travel is not significantly impacted, high dollar in state rivalries are preserved, conference parameters for membership upheld.

So why not do it? It's not what the networks want. it gives too much leverage back to the conferences.

If we did this then Baylor, West Virginia, Boston College, Wake Forest and the loser between Miami and Louisville for the SEC's last spot could join the AAC move them to 20 and become the 4th conference if not leaving anyone behind is a crucial consideration and inclusion of the G5 with the best resume's is important.

Another division would be Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia to the SEC.

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami to the Big 10.

All of these are paper solutions ATU. The only natural grouping is the 3 x 20 grouping.

1. If the SEC and Big 10 divide Oklahoma and Texas and Kansas between them the gap with the ACC and PAC just grows exponentially.

2. If the SEC were to simply add Florida State and Clemson it leaves the ACC no value.

3. Texas wants its entourage. Nobody can absorb all of those Texas schools effectively or profitably. The 3 state schools, yes. Add the two privates, no.

4. The conference construction that would meet the networks needs don't necessarily meet the conference's needs, let alone what the key schools involved would want. So if the networks pay to get what they want then if movement happens it won't be something that appeals to fans or preserves rivalries.

5. There is no natural expansion going on.

This is a speculative thread that essentially true logistically. There are 2 primary concerns. (a) Keeping the Texas grouping preserved. The 3 conference 10 team model moving them to merge with the PAC does that. (b) Keeping Tobacco Road together. Moving the 3 Carolina schools (minus Wake Forest) to the SEC with Clemson, Virginia and Florida State does that. But to get it done maybe the SEC has to offer a partial non football membership to Wake Forest. That's not in our nature, but it is not unimaginable either.

The problem is that doesn't satisfy the Big 10. If the SEC takes N.C. State and Duke and UNC got the big 10 that doesn't satisfy them without N.C. State. If the SEC doesn't get a viable presence in North Carolina that doesn't suit us. There's our standoff.
01-31-2020 01:17 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 08:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ATU was more correct with the other thread. It's the ACC that keeps us from having at least 3 competitive conferences. It's much easier to build a strong conference around Texas and Oklahoma than it is to do it around UNC, Duke, and UVa.

And this proves what?

Nothing other than people tend to take the path of least resistance.

(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  That the 3 x 20 model that has 8 of the Big 12 schools merging with the PAC, and 6 each of the ACC schools merging with the Big 10 and SEC is still the simplest solution to balance and the most natural way to accomplish it.

Iowa Sate, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State, Texas, Texas Tech and T.C.U. join with the PAC to create a 20 member conference with 4 divisions of 5.

Virginia Tech, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia Tech and Miami or Louisville to the SEC.

Travel is not significantly impacted, high dollar in state rivalries are preserved, conference parameters for membership upheld.

So why not do it? It's not what the networks want. it gives too much leverage back to the conferences.

If we did this then Baylor, West Virginia, Boston College, Wake Forest and the loser between Miami and Louisville for the SEC's last spot could join the AAC move them to 20 and become the 4th conference if not leaving anyone behind is a crucial consideration and inclusion of the G5 with the best resume's is important.

Another division would be Duke, North Carolina, N.C. State, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia to the SEC.

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech and Miami to the Big 10.

All of these are paper solutions ATU. The only natural grouping is the 3 x 20 grouping.

Fairly natural for the schools, but as you said; the networks don't really benefit so that pretty much kills it.

(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  1. If the SEC and Big 10 divide Oklahoma and Texas and Kansas between them the gap with the ACC and PAC just grows exponentially.

2. If the SEC were to simply add Florida State and Clemson it leaves the ACC no value.

3. Texas wants its entourage. Nobody can absorb all of those Texas schools effectively or profitably. The 3 state schools, yes. Add the two privates, no.

4. The conference construction that would meet the networks needs don't necessarily meet the conference's needs, let alone what the key schools involved would want. So if the networks pay to get what they want then if movement happens it won't be something that appeals to fans or preserves rivalries.

This is a speculative thread that essentially true logistically. There are 2 primary concerns. (a) Keeping the Texas grouping preserved. The 3 conference 10 team model moving them to merge with the PAC does that. (b) Keeping Tobacco Road together. Moving the 3 Carolina schools (minus Wake Forest) to the SEC with Clemson, Virginia and Florida State does that. But to get it done maybe the SEC has to offer a partial non football membership to Wake Forest. That's not in our nature, but it is not unimaginable either.

The problem is that doesn't satisfy the Big 10. If the SEC takes N.C. State and Duke and UNC got the big 10 that doesn't satisfy them without N.C. State. If the SEC doesn't get a viable presence in North Carolina that doesn't suit us. There's our standoff.

Let me preface by saying I've pretty much talked myself into believing the Texas independence scenario is viable. 03-lmfao

Crazy or not, it does require some fairly simple maneuvers that could benefit all the key players. That doesn't mean it happens, but I think that makes it possible.

My subsequent thought on the OP is that I think the Big Ten could benefit as well. If they miss out on both Oklahoma and Texas then they still have an outlet to profitability that the SEC would never have...Notre Dame.

Right now, Notre Dame is fairly happy, but they would make more money in the Big Ten and if the conference went division-less then they wouldn't be so limited in their travel or scope. If the timing is right then Colorado would be a good #2 for them. In that scenario, the B1G makes out pretty well. If ESPN could gain more traction with the Big Ten by pushing ND into their arms then they'll get a little more content on the back end.

As long as ESPN agrees not to cut the ACC contract then it should work. The question is would the ACC sign off on allowing Notre Dame to leave? Well, they could be boxed in by the threat of your above scenario.

The ACC is in a situation where they can't grow their value either because they only have room for additions from the current Big 12. Those schools, however, have better options. It's still entirely possible the ACC is under the threat of dissolution, but it's a few years away because several of the schools don't have solid value. You parse them out now and you have to account for a number of schools that wouldn't add any value. You wait until closer to the end of the GOR and you can cull some of the dross.

So in the meantime, it benefits the ACC to just do what ESPN tells them. They can curry favor on their end that way. Let Notre Dame go and keep your contract, it only hurts if the SEC and Big Ten come calling. The question is would that be profitable 10 or 15 years down the line?
01-31-2020 05:05 PM
Advertisement

JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(01-31-2020 05:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(01-30-2020 08:53 PM)JRsec Wrote:  ATU was more correct with the other thread. It's the ACC that keeps us from having at least 3 competitive conferences. It's much easier to build a strong conference around Texas and Oklahoma than it is to do it around UNC, Duke, and UVa.

And this proves what?

Nothing other than people tend to take the path of least resistance.

(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  That the 3 x 20 model that has 8 of the Big 12 schools merging with the PAC, and 6 each of the ACC schools merging with the Big 10 and SEC is still the simplest solution to balance and the most natural way to accomplish it.

Fairly natural for the schools, but as you said; the networks don't really benefit so that pretty much kills it.

(01-31-2020 01:17 PM)JRsec Wrote:  1. If the SEC and Big 10 divide Oklahoma and Texas and Kansas between them the gap with the ACC and PAC just grows exponentially.

Let me preface by saying I've pretty much talked myself into believing the Texas independence scenario is viable. 03-lmfao

Crazy or not, it does require some fairly simple maneuvers that could benefit all the key players. That doesn't mean it happens, but I think that makes it possible.

My subsequent thought on the OP is that I think the Big Ten could benefit as well. If they miss out on both Oklahoma and Texas then they still have an outlet to profitability that the SEC would never have...Notre Dame.

Right now, Notre Dame is fairly happy, but they would make more money in the Big Ten and if the conference went division-less then they wouldn't be so limited in their travel or scope. If the timing is right then Colorado would be a good #2 for them. In that scenario, the B1G makes out pretty well. If ESPN could gain more traction with the Big Ten by pushing ND into their arms then they'll get a little more content on the back end.

As long as ESPN agrees not to cut the ACC contract then it should work. The question is would the ACC sign off on allowing Notre Dame to leave? Well, they could be boxed in by the threat of your above scenario.

The ACC is in a situation where they can't grow their value either because they only have room for additions from the current Big 12. Those schools, however, have better options. It's still entirely possible the ACC is under the threat of dissolution, but it's a few years away because several of the schools don't have solid value. You parse them out now and you have to account for a number of schools that wouldn't add any value. You wait until closer to the end of the GOR and you can cull some of the dross.

So in the meantime, it benefits the ACC to just do what ESPN tells them. They can curry favor on their end that way. Let Notre Dame go and keep your contract, it only hurts if the SEC and Big Ten come calling. The question is would that be profitable 10 or 15 years down the line?

There is only one play to make sure we profitable in 15 years. Add Texas and Oklahoma and call it quits. Any school taken from the ACC will rely upon ESPN's willingness to pay the difference. What happens if ESPN is replaced in the future by a network unwilling to pay more for them? That's the question.

I do agree that the Big 10 would get immense value from Notre Dame and any of the following: Colorado, Oklahoma, or Kansas. It is also possible that the SEC would get value out of Texas and Texas Tech. But.....

If the value of Texas and Oklahoma collapses then the value of Alabama and Ohio State and Auburn and Michigan will all be in the tank as well.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2020 12:43 AM by JRsec.)
01-31-2020 05:20 PM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(01-31-2020 05:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Let me preface by saying I've pretty much talked myself into believing the Texas independence scenario is viable. 03-lmfao

UTX going indy undermines the B12 as much as simply leaving. Why would OU stay in such a scenario when there are other options?
02-01-2020 07:36 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(02-01-2020 07:36 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(01-31-2020 05:05 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Let me preface by saying I've pretty much talked myself into believing the Texas independence scenario is viable. 03-lmfao

UTX going indy undermines the B12 as much as simply leaving. Why would OU stay in such a scenario when there are other options?

That was my scenario.

Oklahoma and Kansas departing for the SEC and thus leading to Texas going independent, but retaining their other sports in a lesser Big 12.

The other members of the Big 12 wouldn't like it, but it's not like they have anywhere else to go. They'd probably prefer that as opposed to losing Texas and another member altogether.

I just took a lot more words to say it. :D
02-04-2020 03:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.